Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

brianboyko posted:

4) I could be wrong. I could totally and utterly be wrong. But the way I see it, this may be the last big gasp of trying to work within the system we have to fix it before I start investing in companies that make canned goods and shotguns. I get the cynicism. But even if it's futile, I'm still going to try anyway.

And I guarantee you that if everyone who sneered sarcastically at me and said "yeah, buddy, good luck with that," when I talked about getting money out of politics actually got off their rear end and did something about it, this would be a problem solved quickly.

5) Maybe to fix *everything* we need a constitutional amendment. But we could pass statutory reforms now that would allow politicians to break the fundraising corruption cycle and opt-into a system where they raise funds from the people. They tried it on the state level in Connecticut, and 78% of politicians opted in.

I'm not saying I have THE solution. I'm saying that I'm trying A solution.

And if you can't see how trying A solution is better than trying NO solution, then whatever man, don't come crying to me.
Wow, you lasted all of five mildly critical posts before whipping out the "yeah, well what are YOU doing?" This thread really isn't going to go well for you, and you should probably cut your losses and close it now. The "get off your rear end" criticism is especially rich when your solution comprises a website for donations rather than actual shoe-leather activism (which again, if you'd bothered to lurk you'd know a good portion of people in this forum also participate in, so gently caress your condescension.) Nobody here is saying any solution is ultimately pointless. Rather, they're saying this solution is ultimately pointless.

And it's not a matter of needing a constitutional amendment to fix everything, it's a matter of needing it to fix anything, or SCOTUS will overrule it. At least for the reforms that aren't milquetoast tax credits. However, I see from reform.to that one "Republican" bill has already died an ignominious death and the other is a blog post, so despite the patina of bipartisanship you're also going to need a Democratic majority to get any federal law-changing done for even the basics. Best of luck with that!

Elotana fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Elotana posted:

This thread really isn't going to go well for you, and you should probably cut your losses and close it now.

SedanChair posted:

e: everything about this demands to be taken seriously

e2: everything

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

No amount of "cleverness" is going to crowdsource around the gerrymandering that makes flipping the House an impossibility absent some drastic political upheaval in the next six months, and that alone is going to render each and every one of the five bills (excuse me, three bills, a website, and a blog post) on reform.to a dead letter in the 114th. Even if they weren't, the reform.to quintet is still silly because "cleverness" is not going to end-around the majority of SCOTUS, where the parts that actually have any bite (the clean elections provisions establishing a quasi-public election system based on opt-in matching funds) would likely be be held unconstitutional under Davis and McComish.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 15, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

You can probably do it as long as the public system establishes a floor instead of a ceiling, like giving challengers franking privileges and equal financing for everyone on the ballot. But that might actually unseat incumbents :rolleyes:
Nope. From the syllabus of McComish:

quote:

The Arizona Citizens Clean Elections Act created a public financing system to fund the primary and general election campaigns of candidates for state office. Candidates who opt to participate, and who accept certain campaign restrictions and obligations, are granted an initial outlay of public funds to conduct their campaign. They are also granted additional matching funds if a privately financed candidate’s expenditures, combined with the expenditures of independent groups made in support of the privately financed candidate or in opposition to a publicly financed candidate, exceed the publicly financed candidate’s initial state allotment. Once matching funds are triggered, a publicly financed candidate receives roughly one dollar for every dollar raised or spent by the privately financed candidate—including any money of his own that a privately financed candidate spends on his campaign—and for every dollar spent by independent groups that support the privately financed candidate. When there are multiple publicly financed candidates in a race, each one receives matching funds as a result of the spending of privately financed candidates and independent expenditure groups. Matching funds top out at two times the initial grant to the publicly financed candidate.

The logic of Davis largely controls here. Once a privately financed candidate has raised or spent more than the State’s initial grant to a publicly financed candidate, each personal dollar the privately financed candidate spends results in an award of almost one additional dollar to his opponent. The privately financed candidate must “shoulder a special and potentially significant burden” when choosing to exercise his First Amendment right to spend funds on his own candidacy. 554 U. S., at 739. If the law at issue in Davis imposed a burden on candidate speech, the Arizona law unquestionably does so as well.

The differences between the matching funds provision and the law struck down in Davis make the Arizona law more constitutionally problematic, not less. First, the penalty in Davis consisted of raising the contribution limits for one candidate, who would still have to raise the additional funds. Here, the direct and automatic release of public money to a publicly financed candidate imposes a far heavier burden. Second, in elections where there are multiple publicly financed candidates—a frequent occurrence in Arizona—the matching funds provision can create a multiplier effect. Each dollar spent by the privately funded candidate results in an additional dollar of funding to each of that candidate’s publicly financed opponents. Third, unlike the law in Davis, all of this is to some extent out of the privately financed candidate’s hands. Spending by independent expenditure groups to promote a privately financed candidate’s election triggers matching funds, regardless whether such support is welcome or helpful. Those funds go directly to the publicly funded candidate to use as he sees fit. That disparity in control—giving money directly to a publicly financed candidate, in response to independent expenditures that cannot be coordinated with the privately funded candidate—is a substantial advantage for the publicly funded candidate.
SCOTUS doesn't like matching funds whether it's done via a floor or a ceiling, and the catch-22 created by the combination of the third rationale here (can't match funds because the rich candidate doesn't control PACs) and the rationale in Citizens United (can't restrict the free speech rights of PACs) essentially means clean elections proposals have to be either toothless or unconstitutional.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 15, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Uh just because it doesn't have a Davis-type provision doesn't make it toothless. Public financing for all candidates is fine, but equalization provisions have been struck down since Buckley v. Valeo: "But the concept that government may restrict the speech of some elements of our society in order to enhance the relative voice of others is wholly foreign to the First Amendment".
Simply putting the nominal election committees on a public-financing system is toothless now because of Citizens United. Great, Smith for Senate and Jones for Senate now have equal financing. This does gently caress all to prevent local millionaires from pouring money into Concerned Citizens Who Think Smith Is A Turdgoblin [not affiliated with any political party or candidate] run by Jones' campaign director from 2012. McComish ensures those donations can't be significantly equalized, while Citizens United ensures they can't be meaningfully restrained.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

hooman posted:

Brian's active within the New Zealand greens discussion board.

:stonk:
Beaten like a toddler Brian saw in the street, but

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Deodorant cooties are no joking matter, son

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

XyloJW posted:

I am beyond confused why he used his real full name as his account name for every website in the past 10 years, except RPGNet.
His RPGNet account is from 12 years ago.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

So far we have NZ, the UK, and now Canada that he's threatened to move to? Man, this guy procrastinates.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Okay, now goldmine.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Xandu posted:

$4,938,640
pledged of $5,000,000 goal
10 hours left
They're going to do nothing but make some canny "consultants" very happy with that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Sharkie posted:

So there's no real accountability as to how this money gets spent, right?
Bottom of page 18 if you want a pretty fair prediction of how this will actually go down among all the GIFs

• Locked thread