Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I thought October was next month and was all hyped up for Octojam :(
I think I might make a couple test things in it to reacquaint myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I'm trying to sleep and all I can think about is bytes. Don't octo too hard kids (but do octo!)

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I made a game called civiliz8n click here to play

I'm pretty happy with it so far, I might expand on it a bit by improving the art/adding a splash screen/high score board?

Anyway, play my game and make a game for octojam folks!

Tann fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 5, 2015

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

That's really cool buffis. The bullet hell shooter works so well with chip8's pixel perfect collision detection!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

http://octojam.com/octojam-ii/games/civiliz8n

Just submitted my first game to the jam site. Still 20 days left people, make a game!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Nice, I love the variance in movement speeds!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

There's still easily time to make a game for octojam. I'm just starting to think about my second game. Join the fun!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Do you think this could have been supported/displayed somewhere on old chip8 emulators? It seems curious that so many ROMs would embed data an identical fashion.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah I really enjoyed watching it, especially seeing the real hardware at the end!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

Stay tuned for more SCHIP details!

Thanks for writing this interesting post! Octojam is soon!!!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I just realised I should post this here!

Working on a basic platformer to see if I can get it feeling nice. Had a bug in the collision code which was pretty funny.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Been working with a friend and we're getting somewhere with level generation now!

Keep jamming everyone! And there's plenty of time to start now if you haven't already.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

taqueso posted:

Looks like it is coming along nicely! Are the levels being generated from hand-made elements?

Yeah, it stitches together chunks based on entry/exit point!

taqueso posted:

Mine is starting to take shape too.

Looking good, it's almost a shame to see you use extra colours because otherwise you can run it on original hardware!

taqueso posted:

I added a profiling feature to Octo a couple days ago

This is super cool and I'm looking forward to using it! I'll let you know once I start profiling :)

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Hey this is neat! I wish I could help out but I've got my hands will with my team's octo project. It's a cool base for a game. I feel like the qweadzxc controls are a bit awkward to use. I like this sort of game though so I'm excited to see where you go with it.
I love that you've hacked octo into overdrive for your levelgen :)

edit: I like the way the walls look! The controls feel a bit unresponsive though, is there much you can do to fix that?

Tann fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 20, 2016

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

This is super cool, great job Buffis, you managed to create something that feels like nice continuous experience within the 3.5kb limit!

I liked the use of the buzzer on hit, the enemies were cool. That hat is amazing and the boss fight was exciting, as advertised :)

It would have been nice to see some more small variations in the rooms: the starting rooms were the only way I could easily orient myself. Also there's a space you can stand that's "between rooms" and causes you to flicker back and forth.

Controversial opinion: The basic attack in this game has better gamefeel than the original!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I've played through all the entries and written a tiny review of each! Play them for yourself here!

Chipquarium
Very cute, I like the colours. I'm looking forward to seeing it played on the Cosmac, good job on getting it working at 7 cycles/frame! I particularly liked the rock/paper/scissors game, it works really well having it timed instead of needing a "confirm" key.

Snake
Good job on giving it a go! Sorry you couldn't get it working how you wanted, octo takes a bit to get used to. I saw a bit of the LEAKED OCTO STREAM and IJ gave some good advice. Also I extended my snake way too far and one time instead of crashing it started drawing cool junk all over the screen, octo bugs are sweet!

OctoCrawl
:hfive: fellow 1000-cycler. I'm a fan of nethack so I'm glad you've made this! The colours you've picked are really nice and give an interesting aesthetic to the game. The loading screen was also cool, I'm impressed you managed to maintain a loading animation whilst loading the map.

As for the actual game, the controls are unfortunately very unresponsive for me which kinda ruins a lot of the fun. The enemies are super cool and the minimap is really nicely done. I like how the walls look, although unfortunately I got killed fighting a swarm of invincible wall-sections, I love octo bugs :).

The Binding of Cosmac: Octoberth
Wow, awesome job buffi. I think I raved at you on irc about how much I enjoyed this but I'll put it here too! The controls feel great and it feels like a "real game". Great job getting it under the 3.5kb. The controls feel great, better than the original BoI in my opinion! I totally beat that boss first try. Collecting hats is such a cool mechanic to see done in octo, I'm inspired to try something like that next time!

I would have liked to see a little more variation in the room backgrounds, it was easy to get lost as I could only navigate by doors and the "level n" room. Also in the bit of the octo stream I saw it was super funny to see your title screen destroy the video quality :)

Knight
The title screen looks really clean and explains stuff nicely! The story of the game was funny to read. The gameplay is completely bonkers. I don't really know how to used attack or dodge effectively. I don't feel like I ever won by skill but it did feel cool to finally beat Nefarious Richard!

Kesha Was Biird
Wow, I am a huge fan of the now cross-jam Kesha series! The use of sound is fantastic here, you've really mastered using primitive 1-bit sound to great effect. The surreal visual novel genre works really well in octo and it was very cool to play through, even though I didn't really understand everything. The dialogue with the character portraits look great. Some of the environments looked a little rushed compared to the original but they definitely fit in the style. I'm really looking forward to your future work!

Ghost Escape
I think I've played a game similar to this and it fits octo super well. I am a huge fan of this sort of game and I spent probably about half an hour determined to beat this! I ended up cheating a bit by setting it to 1000 cycles/frame. It felt really good to beat, good job!

Fuse
The first entry from our octo overlord, InternetJanitor himself! I really really liked this game, the pipe dream mechanics fit so well with octo and having multiple parts per piece adds a lot of interesting strategy to the game. After playing a bunch, I did get a bit frustrated by how difficult it was to work out where the path would go in the case of multiple options being available. If it weren't for that, I would have probably spent a long time trying to get a sick highscore.

Black Rainbow
InternetJanitor's second submission! I really liked how atmospheric it felt. The enemies look really cool and foreboding, I can imagine this game scaring kids back in the day! It was fun to explore and learn how the traps work and pick up the gems. I played through a couple of times and I couldn't really work out the scoring system so I may be missing a secret ending but I had a lot of fun regardless.

Planet of the 8s
8/10 pun title, very good. I like the colours and there's a bunch of nice visual polish in the game. The actual gameplay is a bit repetitive/frustrating but I eventually learnt how to get a decent score. Nice job!

8ce 8ttorney, disks 1-3
I absolutely love the idea of this game being on multiple disks. The graphics are really nicely-done and great job keeping it at realistic emulation speeds. The dialogue felt a bit disjointed and hard to follow due to the small text space and conciseness but the whole UI looks really great. The story was funny and I enjoyed playing through, excellent work!

Hedgehog the Drug Dog
I love the way you've represented smell on the screen. It took me a couple of plays to get to grips with but it was fun trying to sniff out the correct person! The ending to show the actual person with drugs was nicely done. It was a bit tricky however to know which person you're selecting though.

Shooth3rd
I love bouncy games and this one works super well with octo. Excellent job getting it to run at 7 cycles/frame, it feels pretty responsive too! I am really impressed that you got it running on the original hardware and the video you made was amazing. I hope to see another submission from you next year!

Skyward is my teams' game!

Mastermind
Nice job on the fairly-realistic cycles per frame. This game is a lot to fit in the small area given by octo but it's a good, clean interface and the symbols instead of colours work well. I started off by not quite getting what was going on and making a bunch of random guesses but near the end, I re-read the rules and studied hard and won! It felt really good to work it out.

Monty Hall
I love probability and maths problems so it was a delight to see this one! Plus ghosts instead of goats was a nice seasonal change! I managed to get 17/20 with my superior probability skills.

Jub8
It is amazing to hear 1-bit music and this game showcases it really well! The menu is amazing and the in-game graphics work so well. I thought it was ok at rhythm games but this sure proved me wrong! On the easiest song I could find, it felt really cool to rack up a small combo. Good job on sorting out the syncing issues you were having, it seemed perfect to me when I played through.

Sens8tion
This game is really cool and stylish. The interactive intro sequence is fantastic. The game is interesting and tricky and the sprite work is really nice. I played this a couple of times and then watched a clip of Equilibrium and you've nailed the feel of that weird film so well, fantastic work!

• Locked thread