Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

jusion posted:

Nowhere nearly as impressive as F8Z, but I threw together a little sample platformer today:

https://johnearnest.github.io/Octo/index.html?gist=7db34b62e9f22dea4fff

I hope to flesh it out a little more, and add a little "win" portal. It's really a fun little exercise, and makes you think in ways you usually wouldn't have to.

You can jump infinitely in midair, I notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

I think I'm misusing while loops, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Wondering if someone can spot it. I can do the following:

: subroutine
i := memorylocation
i += vA
load v0
;

: routine
vA := 0
subroutine
vA := 1
subroutine
vA := 2
subroutine
vA := 3
subroutine
;

but this seems broken:

: subroutine
i := memorylocation
i += vA
load v0
vA += 1
;

: routine
vA := 0
while vA != 4 subroutine
;

AFAIKT they should be the same, but they are behaving differently. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

Thanks guys. I did see it could be used to break out of a loop in the example, but I thought that was just a common way to use it rather than the only way.

Also drat IJ, that FPS looks great. That is seriously pushing the (hypothetical) hardware.

HottiePippen fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 18, 2014

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

I was traveling around on trains much of this weekend, and used the time (productively?) porting Minesweeper to Chip8.

You can play it here: Minesweep8r on Octo. WASD to move, Q to click, E to flag, R to restart.
Or get the code here: Github

I'll probably write up my thoughts and a few of the techniques later, since it's a little unintuitive. I'll post that here once I write it.

HottiePippen fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 19, 2014

• Locked thread