Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

DeathBySpoon posted:

I love reading this thread even if I don't have time to contribute. Maybe I'll try to hammer together a Chip8 game next time I join a jam. Just wanted to pop in and say I enjoy your updates IJ, keep on talking to yourself.
Likewise, IJ, this is my favourite CoC thread of the moment.

Every now and then I hack a bit on homebrew Atari VCS, so it's awesome to see what you're doing with another machine from the era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, likewise, I'm pretty envious of your being able to write surprisingly-high level code for the Chip8, though chasing the beam is half the fun of the VCS :)

Certainly, the most infuriating part of the VCS is the variable number of cycles certain reads take depending on whether the source address is on the zero page or not. I've been bitten by not paying close enough attention to where my ROM's high water address mark is and have everything go to poo poo if I have to read past 00FFh :v:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

I'm speaking with only second-hand VCS programming experience here, but how much do you think it would help to have an assembler that could check timing constraints for you?
I've actually written a basic (incomplete and likely buggy) one :) The issues with it are the ones you've described - subroutines and even branching means a particular instruction can be executed at multiple points in the scanline (which is actually superuseful but points to the need for better visualization for the programmer than tacking on a "; cycle count: %d ..." comment on each line :)

I should probably clean it up and throw it up on my public repo sometime.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

I assume this is one of y'all's doing :pcgaming:

• Locked thread