Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Internet Janitor posted:

This afternoon I put the finishing touches on a Chip8 adventure game.

http://johnearnest.github.io/Octo/index.html?gist=a1d72c7bbf65520fd20d
Traverse a sprawling 16-screen overworld, solve puzzles, move crates around and, with a little luck, watch an incredible ending sequence! Move with ASWD, and in platformer levels use E to pick up/drop crates and Q to reset the level.

Do you have what it takes to be a Cave Explorer?

If there's interest I could talk about some of the techniques I used to write this game.

Sometimes I wish we could just wipe out 20 years of computer development so we could be at the prime of 8bit garage development and hook up with Rod hubbard to make disco as gently caress soundtracks and do awesome loving cartrige games.

Because this poo poo owns :swoon:

edit: An old technique in rom games to deal with memory shortages was to have a mechanism to swap blocks from a secondary rom bank. So you could have 4k ram fed by a 16k rom swapping in 1k banks on demand. Even as far as the Z80 64k peak, I remember my old Amstrad 6128 had a second processor that could swap in 16k banks of ram on demand (If you used CP/M it appeared to the OS contiguous using ~mAgIc~ , which puzzled the gently caress out of me since the Z80 had no addressing modes that could do that, but I think CP/M threw an abstraction layer over things to make it work somehow.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

shutup shutup shutup im still 30 lalala i cant hear you.

:suicide:

(I turn 40 next week and I'm totally having a loving crisis over the fact. wheeeeeeeeeee)

• Locked thread