Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

J-Spot posted:

Bound By Flame is a budget RPG that has no shortage of things dragging it down, but it's the terrible combat that really stands out. You can quickly toggle between warrior and ranger style combat, the former being a more methodical style based around properly timed parrying and counterattacking while the latter is based more around getting in quick attacks and dodging effectively. Warrior style is effectively useless because it's pretty much only appropriate for 1-on-1 battles but every encounter in the game is a mob of 4-5 enemies and there's usually no way to lure them away from each other. Your best bet is to stick with the ranger style and try to eliminate enemies as quickly as possible, which is never all that quick thanks to the absurd amount of HP the normal enemies always seem to have.

To make matters worse, leveling up your character and improving your equipment provide no noticeable sense of progression. You pretty much have access to all of the skills in the game from the start so your skill tree choices are all minor upgrades to the skills you already have. Finding better armor never makes your character any more durable than a wet bar napkin and better weapons never seem to chisel enemy health down any faster. You fight the same enemies throughout most of the game but they scale up considerably so you end up feeling like you're growing weaker as you advance.

This is a pretty consistent complaint I keep hearing. It makes me wonder what the devs were thinking. Did none of them actually play their own game? Do they know something we don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The only bad thing about Wind Waker's forced stealth section is that it's far too early.

I spoke about this a long while ago in the last thread, but I'm going to summarize what a good stealth section in a non-stealth game would need. I'm gonna use Zelda games as examples, because yeah, Zelda's got a bit of a love of them.

1. Timing. Ideally, the stealth section should be somewhere around the middle of the game. Wind Waker, for example, stuck its stealth section way too early in the game. You hadn't even gotten the chance to do some proper action-puzzler Zelda action, and they force you into a stealth section. It's also possible to place it far too late, thus sort of wrecking the flow of the last act. I haven't seen a game that makes this mistake, but I'm sure it exists.

2. Well-realized stealth mechanics. No matter what the game, good stealth gameplay needs to give you a certain degree of control and awareness of your surroundings; it's essentially a puzzle based around getting from Point A to Point B without being seen, and so every factor that could stop you needs to be easily understood and countered. Zelda games are usually very good about this in their stealth sections, there's usually a clear path and it's clear what you have to avoid, but they probably learned that because Ocarina of Time was just awful about it. They seemed to learn quickly from that, though; Majora's Mask had the Stone Mask that trivialized stealth, and every Zelda game since has done really well on it.

3. You need a good reason why you aren't just playing normally. In the Castlevania game mentioned earlier, I guess they do it badly; there's no real reason, logically speaking, why you can't just play normally around those guys. Wind Waker takes away your sword, and Skyward Sword has the stealth sections taking place in a realm where normal rules rules don't apply, so they work. But the Gerudo Fortress in OoT, or the stealth section in A Link Between Worlds, there is no real reason; Link should by all logic be able to just let loose and make the whole thing a ton easier, and there's no reason he can't.

4. Somewhat related to the last two, it still needs to play like the rest of the game. It's of course going to be a different style of play, but the basics need to remain the same so that you can actually approach this challenge properly. Zelda games do this well, for the most part; everything you have on hand will still work just like it usually does, you just have to use them differently. This is something you can pull Wind Waker up on by technicality, though, because it didn't give you enough time beforehand to really understand those basics.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 17:12 on May 18, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lotish posted:

This is a pretty consistent complaint I keep hearing. It makes me wonder what the devs were thinking. Did none of them actually play their own game? Do they know something we don't?

The devs of that title do not have a good pedigree.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Going on a rampage in Saints Row IV just isn't as fun as it should be. Your notoriety goes up way too fast and the enemies who show up at higher notoriety levels are kind of a pain to deal with. The police are the most fun to fight since they just have ordinary cars and guns and can really only rely on outnumbering you, which means that you can take out groups of them together. But you barely notice they exist because they almost instantly get replaced by aliens, and the on-foot and ground-vehicle aliens don't last long either. As soon as the portals start showing up you start getting smaller numbers of more powerful enemies and a whole lot of flying vehicles. And even if you're enjoying that, it takes hardly any time for a warden to show up. During actual quests it all works very nicely and the different enemy types add some variety, but outside of them they just don't work very well.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 18:28 on May 18, 2014

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Going on a rampage in Saints Row IV just isn't as fun as it should be. Your notoriety goes up way too fast and the enemies who show up at higher notoriety levels are kind of a pain to deal with. The police are the most fun to fight since they just have ordinary cars and guns and can really only rely on outnumbering you, which means that you can take out groups of them together. But you barely notice they exist because they almost instantly get replaced by aliens, and the on-foot and ground-vehicle aliens don't last long either. As soon as the portals start showing up you start getting smaller numbers of more powerful enemies and a whole lot of flying vehicles. And even if you're enjoying that, it takes hardly any time for a warden to show up. During actual quests it all works very nicely and the different enemy types add some variety, but outside of them they just don't work very well.

Effortlessly destroying dozens of cops with superpowered wrestling moves was easily the best part of the game, I was really pissed that you can only do it for like 10 seconds before the aliens replace them.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cleretic posted:

The only bad thing about Wind Waker's forced stealth section is that it's far too early.

I spoke about this a long while ago in the last thread, but I'm going to summarize what a good stealth section in a non-stealth game would need. I'm gonna use Zelda games as examples, because yeah, Zelda's got a bit of a love of them.

Yeah, The Wind Waker should have allowed you to escape if you were spotted, rather than forcing you to do the entire section over again. However, the enemy you do fight without the sword teaches you about the weapons they drop and how to use them, or even using items like pots as weapons. It does seem a bit weird making you go through Orca's sword training, then not allowing you to use the sword for a long time. You get dumped on Windfall Island after the Forsaken Fortress without even a boss fight, so it's not until the first dungeon that you actually do a lot of combat.

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, The Wind Waker should have allowed you to escape if you were spotted, rather than forcing you to do the entire section over again. However, the enemy you do fight without the sword teaches you about the weapons they drop and how to use them, or even using items like pots as weapons. It does seem a bit weird making you go through Orca's sword training, then not allowing you to use the sword for a long time. You get dumped on Windfall Island after the Forsaken Fortress without even a boss fight, so it's not until the first dungeon that you actually do a lot of combat.

Wind Waker HD actually does allow you to escape if you're spotted.

LaserBaconMan has a new favorite as of 02:05 on May 19, 2014

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

kazil posted:

A recent Terraria patch added fishing to the game.

No video game ever has benefited from having fishing in it. Fishing is a boring as gently caress chore and has no place in video games.

Okami had a pretty good fishing minigame.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Replaying puzzles in 999 is a chore.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm doing Bravely Defaults NG+ because apparently if you reset your village, the nemesis' will drop buns more.
Bun's are items that give permanent stat boosts and since most +99 nemesis' in my game will still royally gently caress me over even at level 99 I'm hoping to get better stats this time around. When you get a bun, its drop rate decreases dramatically. So I'm hoping to get better stats this time so I can actually fight these things without abusing stillness or jump (because that really seems to be the only way to beat some of these guys), in conclusion FF10 is the best FF because you can just level up everybody to get godly stats without having to go through this bullshit and why am I even doing this?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

kazil posted:

No video game ever has benefited from having fishing in it.

It's a little known fact, but Breath of Fire 3's fishing actually has a fairly decent RPG bundled with it.

On the other hand, there's the fishing game in World of Warcraft, which could only have been included as an experiment to see how much of the server population would become obsessed with the world's most tedious minigame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

scarycave posted:

and why am I even doing this?

This is the true mystery. You have absolutely nothing to gain from it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Oxxidation posted:

This is the true mystery. You have absolutely nothing to gain from it.

I actually stopped five minutes into it. While the game was fun the first time - doing it again, and knowing that you have to do it five more times also the game still kept throwing +99 dudes at me at level 5 so gently caress it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Anatharon posted:

Replaying puzzles in 999 is a chore.

The worst chore. VLR's best feature is the flowchart that lets you skip to any point in the story you've already done.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tiggum posted:

If they just had the police show up for like 3-4 notoriety levels instead of the first one or two, maybe it'd feel a little more satisfying. Also Marauders are the worst things to fight and they kind of kill any rampage momentum for me the minute they show up.

It might just be my rig (I doubt it), but Sleeping Dogs has been a nightmare for me to run. It started off crashing without any kind of message after the introductory level and the fix for that is running in Win 98/ME compatibility mode, and now it's incredibly stuttery whenever I'm driving or even walking through town sometimes. Driving several kilometers somewhere is usually a pretty boring slog, but it's really bad with stuttering audio. Also I'm not fond of the missions where you have to drive in general because I always end up hitting something and losing cop EXP for it. I get that I shouldn't be causing property damage, but is it really fair to me to deduct that when I'm told to go ram someone off the road? Or give me a penalty when someone else decides to drive into me?

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

No specific game, but unskippable menus/ok boxes, etc. This is especially annoying on casual, touch screen games because you're just jabbing at the screen trying to get to the fun bit. Usually those games are just filler, I don't want a huge story and lots to scroll through!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It's also possible to place it far too late, thus sort of wrecking the flow of the last act. I haven't seen a game that makes this mistake, but I'm sure it exists.
Jedi Outcast. You're about to board the big evil dude's capital spaceship to stop him before he destroys... whatever it is he wants to do! You fight swarms of dark Jedi side-by-side with Luke Skywalker himself! You get ready to storm the craft...

And spend an hour sneaking through the clunkiest and most frustrating stealth section this side of Ocarina of Time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

scarycave posted:

I'm doing Bravely Defaults NG+ because apparently if you reset your village, the nemesis' will drop buns more.
Bun's are items that give permanent stat boosts and since most +99 nemesis' in my game will still royally gently caress me over even at level 99 I'm hoping to get better stats this time around. When you get a bun, its drop rate decreases dramatically. So I'm hoping to get better stats this time so I can actually fight these things without abusing stillness or jump (because that really seems to be the only way to beat some of these guys), in conclusion FF10 is the best FF because you can just level up everybody to get godly stats without having to go through this bullshit and why am I even doing this?

Bravely Default had a fine combat system but it just felt so lifeless to me that I had no desire to keep playing. i quit in the middle of some desolate continent with a big war going on, before even getting to the parts that everyone complains about.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Jedi Outcast. You're about to board the big evil dude's capital spaceship to stop him before he destroys... whatever it is he wants to do! You fight swarms of dark Jedi side-by-side with Luke Skywalker himself! You get ready to storm the craft...

And spend an hour sneaking through the clunkiest and most frustrating stealth section this side of Ocarina of Time.

The weird part is they basically give no good explanation on why you have to sneak. It's just more imperial soldiers, which you've already proven you can fight basically an infinite number of.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 00:10 on May 20, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ChaosArgate posted:

If they just had the police show up for like 3-4 notoriety levels instead of the first one or two, maybe it'd feel a little more satisfying. Also Marauders are the worst things to fight and they kind of kill any rampage momentum for me the minute they show up.

I've levelled up enough that I can just ignore them, but yeah, unless you have the abduction gun those things are just tiresome to deal with.

ChaosArgate posted:

It might just be my rig (I doubt it), but Sleeping Dogs has been a nightmare for me to run. It started off crashing without any kind of message after the introductory level and the fix for that is running in Win 98/ME compatibility mode, and now it's incredibly stuttery whenever I'm driving or even walking through town sometimes.

I haven't had this problem myself but some people on the Steam forums suggest creating a shortcut to the exe file and running it that way solved it for them.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

If that's the bit I'm thinking of, there is a super easy way to get past that bit, which is to place proximity mines at certain locations, then get spotted. Because what actually happens when you get spotted is that NPCs will go for the alarms, you only lose when the alarm is triggered. If they get blown up on their way to the alarm then you're in the clear. I only got through that bit by looking up a walkthrough that told me where to put the mines.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

eating only apples posted:

The worst chore. VLR's best feature is the flowchart that lets you skip to any point in the story you've already done.

The 'remember the safe passwords' bit was great for when I went for the gold files I'd missed (or where I'd fumble-stylus'd my way into getting a silver file instead)

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

The Moon Monster posted:

Bravely Default had a fine combat system but it just felt so lifeless to me that I had no desire to keep playing. i quit in the middle of some desolate continent with a big war going on, before even getting to the parts that everyone complains about.

That sounds like you were at the fire crystal bit then. One of the bosses there is a complete butt hole.
I can see what your saying about the combat though, every random encounter feels like the same exact random encounter.

Also the worst side-quest in the entire game is there.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 13:08 on May 20, 2014

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Tiggum posted:

If that's the bit I'm thinking of, there is a super easy way to get past that bit, which is to place proximity mines at certain locations, then get spotted. Because what actually happens when you get spotted is that NPCs will go for the alarms, you only lose when the alarm is triggered. If they get blown up on their way to the alarm then you're in the clear. I only got through that bit by looking up a walkthrough that told me where to put the mines.

Or you can just get their attention, go to the alarm, break out your lightsaber and keep slashing. Nobody can go through you to reach the alarm and they don't bother firing at you. :allears:

The carnage. :black101:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I'm about four years late to the party but I just started playing Enslaved: Journey to the West. I love that somebody made a post-apocalyptic game and used a color other than loving brown. Everything is bright and green and its awesome.

Too bad the camera is making me motion sick.

Tyrannosaurus has a new favorite as of 16:46 on May 20, 2014

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

LaserBaconMan posted:

Or you can just get their attention, go to the alarm, break out your lightsaber and keep slashing. Nobody can go through you to reach the alarm and they don't bother firing at you. :allears:

The carnage. :black101:

You can also jump up to a platform and trickjump (maybe strafe-jump) up a slope to the end of the level skipping every single stealth section.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is making me hate the color yellow. It's been a while since I last played and I'm playing the Director's Cut, which I'm told reduced the yellow... but no. too much yellow.

Related: was the Deus Ex thread in Games archived? The search is showing nothing, and I'm really in one of those "If I'm not playing {Game}, I want to read the thread for {Game}" moods.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 08:26 on May 21, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dexterity is the shittiest mainstat in Diablo 3.

Intelligence provides resistance to everything, strength gives a raw armor value, dexterity provides dodge chance, entirely RNG based if it ever decides to proc(it usually doesn't.)

Now the Monk can deal with it, he has a natural 30% damage resistance because he's a melee fighter, the demon hunter, the other dex based class does not, the DH is a zippy character, very agile, you're meant to use their agility to just not get hit, problem is the game is littered with unavoidable damage, and on top of that the main thing you'd use to avoid damage requires a slow charging resource, regardless of your skill level, you are going to eat a hit eventually for possibly half your health, the DH just cannot take a hit, and this is just taking raw armor values in mind, enemy affixes and stage lay-out have a lot to do which how often you'll get or die.

It doesn't help that the DH has no defensive passives to speak unlike every other class, the wizard alone has like 3 I think.

Its incredibly frustrating, I really enjoy the class, hell it was my first D3 character, I have like 300 hours on it but its quite frustrating that despite her being my strongest DPS wise, I cannot contribute on higher difficulties as much as I'd like as I'm either trying not to get hit or dying in the blink of an eye to some enemy affix, it doesn't help that the last patch introduced a bug that makes ground affixes do a TON of damage and now certain affixes are spammy as gently caress, some where also altered, the frozen one used to be this little expanding thing that exploded at max size and froze you, now it does damage while it expands as well as the explosion, so the moment one pops up under your feet you're gonna be taking damage.

I really hope they re-work dex somehow, right now the DH brings nothing to the table on the higher torment diffs beyond raw damage which any class can do, even the monk suffers a bit on the higher T's but they have tons of group support so it evens out.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I guess I'm getting old but I realized I don't like games as much as I used to. So age is bringing games down.

MisterBibs posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is making me hate the color yellow. It's been a while since I last played and I'm playing the Director's Cut, which I'm told reduced the yellow... but no. too much yellow.

Related: was the Deus Ex thread in Games archived? The search is showing nothing, and I'm really in one of those "If I'm not playing {Game}, I want to read the thread for {Game}" moods.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3291047&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

nematode antipode
Feb 26, 2014
Particle effects in general. Yes developers, we're all very impressed that you can make pretty smoke clouds, but it's kind of counterproductive when they slow the game to an unplayable crawl. For god's sake, at least have an option to turn them down like with other graphics stuff.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

nematode antipode posted:

Particle effects in general. Yes developers, we're all very impressed that you can make pretty smoke clouds, but it's kind of counterproductive when they slow the game to an unplayable crawl. For god's sake, at least have an option to turn them down like with other graphics stuff.

It's frustrating me with Skyrim's Dragonborn expansion. It's a really cool throwback to Morrowind and I'm enjoying it a lot, except for the ash spawn. They're an enemy basically covered in particle effects. Ash (as the name implies) and embers are constantly radiating from their bodies, they explode into a cloud of ash when they die, they're just generally about 50% particle effect. If there's too many on screen at once (and they often come in pretty big groups), my 360 freezes and I have to reboot the system.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Anatharon posted:

I guess I'm getting old but I realized I don't like games as much as I used to. So age is bringing games down.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3291047&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Thanks, but I was looking for HR specifically. I think the title was "of course people will be left behind". Search couldn't find poo poo.

EDIT: I found (presumably) a link to the thread in that thread, but with archives down, it's a no-go. :( )

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 18:07 on May 21, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MisterBibs posted:

Thanks, but I was looking for HR specifically. I think the title was "of course people will be left behind". Search couldn't find poo poo.

EDIT: I found (presumably) a link to the thread in that thread, but with archives down, it's a no-go. :( )

Enjoy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425907

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Amazing Spider-Man games are stepping in the right direction except for a lackluster upgrade system. I have a bunch of useless tech now and a lot of suits to level up because upgrades are maxed suits are not. I should be able to buy suit exp with tech

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm starting to get fed up with metroidvanias (horrible word, is there a better one?). I just constantly see spots where I think "great, I'll have to come back here once I get the ability to climb/freeze water/slide/whatever". Those games really need an option to start with all your powerups from the beginning. I'm not joking, A Link Between Worlds was really on to something.

MisterBibs posted:

The load times killed this game for me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm starting to get fed up with metroidvanias (horrible word, is there a better one?). I just constantly see spots where I think "great, I'll have to come back here once I get the ability to climb/freeze water/slide/whatever". Those games really need an option to start with all your powerups from the beginning. I'm not joking, A Link Between Worlds was really on to something.

I feel like powerup progression is a key facet of the genre. A Link Between Worlds was great for giving you all of the item mainstays out of the gate, but Zelda games aren't really Metroidvanias.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I dislike how it's often hard to tell which way the objective is in Transistor. I do all my exploration in games on a wrong-way-first algorithm and it's already led to missed content when I stumbled into the next area with no way to go back and check a side street. :argh:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
What is it about multi-player Mario games that turns everyone into monsters?
Making a co-op game competitive sort of defeats the purpose.

Four Swords (either the gba or gamecube) are also guilty of this. There's just so much betrayal.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

scarycave posted:

Four Swords (either the gba or gamecube) All games are also guilty of this. There's just so much betrayal.

Fixed that for you. The internet is hell.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

scarycave posted:

Four Swords (either the gba or gamecube) are also guilty of this. There's just so much betrayal.

Co-op Mario is kinda like Battletoads, since its friendly fire meant that the most dangerous thing in the game was the other player, even if they weren't trying to hit you.

I'm fine with unintentionally screwing each other in games like Worms, but when you've been stuck on the same level in Mario for 15 minutes, I'd rather just get it over with.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The worst part about Super Mario Deathmatch is that the people you are trolling are in the same room with you and therefore in a position to beat the hell out of you after you gently caress with them too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Tweet Me Balls posted:

The worst part about Super Mario Deathmatch is that the people you are trolling are in the same room with you and therefore in a position to beat the hell out of you after you gently caress with them too much.

This is actually the best part though.