Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kitfox88 posted:

Fallout 4 is one of the only videogames I can think of where the main quest actively drags the rest of the game down around it to make it worse by association.

It's gonna sound dumb, but what really turned me off from FO4 was when I was trying to put together my first little base. I was putting down fencing, and it was bad enough that the area is asymmetrical, but there was this one section where the fence would NOT map to the ground. No matter what I did, the loving thing would decide to pop a wheelie and jut up into the air at a 45 degree angle. I got fed up and decided to ragequit for the night, and then never got around to picking it back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

the_steve posted:

It's gonna sound dumb, but what really turned me off from FO4 was when I was trying to put together my first little base. I was putting down fencing, and it was bad enough that the area is asymmetrical, but there was this one section where the fence would NOT map to the ground. No matter what I did, the loving thing would decide to pop a wheelie and jut up into the air at a 45 degree angle. I got fed up and decided to ragequit for the night, and then never got around to picking it back up.

lol same. The kidnapping quest was whatever they stole my waterchipped geck baby. But the base building being clunky and bad when the game puts so much emphasis on it was the deal breaker.

Also yeah let me build this new house full of holes and smear poo poo all over the walls. It's a popular look.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

moosecow333 posted:

This is far and away one of the stupidest design decisions I’ve heard in a long time.

Though speaking of poo poo designs, please stop level gating modes and stuff in games. Why do I have to be level 30 to unlock multiplayer in Bloons TD 6? I know how to play, give me a competency quiz or something if you’re worried about new players in the mode, don’t waste my time.

Fextrafile sucks and I hate how they've taken over the wonderful gamefaqs niche that existed

I didn't mind settlement stuff in fallout 4 when I found a mod that turned off attacks. I just ignored all the settlements after that

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vic posted:

lol same. The kidnapping quest was whatever they stole my waterchipped geck baby. But the base building being clunky and bad when the game puts so much emphasis on it was the deal breaker.

Also yeah let me build this new house full of holes and smear poo poo all over the walls. It's a popular look.

:same: It wasn't until I got the Sim Settlements 2 mod that I started replaying Fo4 again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

AC:Odyssey is surprisingly good about this and quite a lot of quests can be cut with something like "Oh <random item>? Yeah I picked that up for no reason when I was murdering a cave full of cultists. Here you go."

Just don't read too far ahead for the Supideo quest or you'll miss the best line in the game.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Vic posted:

Yeah this is one of the dumbest things about Fallout overall. Why is there still trash and skeletons everywhere. 200 years after an apocalypse isn't really a post-apocalyptic situation any more. It's a regular situation.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

This is far and away one of the stupidest design decisions I’ve heard in a long time.

On the one hand, it's dumb as hell. On the other hand, it's nice to see developers acknowledge that if a game is popular enough, people WILL start poking around in the code to see what was cut or missed, and hiding an entire class behind data-diving is pretty novel. If nothing else, it's a decent way to stir up conversation and maybe get a few more sales a few weeks or monthes after launch.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Yeah this is one of the dumbest things about Fallout overall. Why is there still trash and skeletons everywhere. 200 years after an apocalypse isn't really a post-apocalyptic situation any more. It's a regular situation.

What, you’re telling me Bethesda is afraid to try and innovate or progress their settings in any way that isn’t shallow as a puddle? Poppycock.

Realtalk it’s incredibly frustrating how stagnant they made the Fallout setting. Every game being so far-flung from one another so they don’t have to actually think about how anything fits together and can just repeat the same beats over and over just makes it all feel so loving bad.

New Vegas doesn’t count, it is perfect in every way.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

the_steve posted:

Exactly the same experience with Starfield and shipbuilding. Janky nonsense that is a huge "selling point" and ultimately barely even connects to any other game systems.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ilmucche posted:

Fextrafile sucks and I hate how they've taken over the wonderful gamefaqs niche that existed

Better than the ad-delivery system that is fandom.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Fextralife is the owner's Twitch stream delivery system that got rightfully hosed over when Twitch made autoplayed stream embeds not count as channel views.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

the_steve posted:

The straw that breaks the camel's back doesn't need to be a heavy one. :shrug:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Better than the ad-delivery system that is fandom.

two different cardinal sins don't make a salvation :shrug:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Meowywitch posted:

two different cardinal sins don't make a salvation :shrug:

True. Christ, things were better before every search for video game stuff didn't pop up with fandom, fextralife, game8, gamerant, all these lovely auto-generated sites. Give me more gamefaqs, give me ascii art and meticulously edited text to conform to a specific string length per line. I wrote a couple FAQs and legitimately enjoyed the dumb stuff like figuring out designs for headers and whatnot.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ilmucche posted:

I didn't mind settlement stuff in fallout 4 when I found a mod that turned off attacks. I just ignored all the settlements after that

All I did was make Sanctuary my one single home base, spammed turrets until the defense score was high enough to prevent attacks, and then ignored the rest. Once or twice I got an alert that some podunk settlement that was technically mine was attacked and then got mad and left, which never mattered.

I think it also helped that I turned down joining the Minutemen, so beyond the early extended tutorial stuff I never got trapped in the endless "settlement needs our help" loop that seems to confuse and frustrate people.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

foamstars

oh god foamstars

I’m pretty sure it’s F2P but it was part of the PS+ games this month I don’t know, all I know is it was in my library and I fired it up on a whim

it’s basically Splatoon if Splatoon was weirdly horny….but also it goes out of its way to make things super saccharine and kid-friendly. “remember, foamsmash is about respecting each others beliefs! it’s not a battle, it’s a party! they’re chills, not kills, help someone chill and get back to the party!” - actual voice lines

and oh god there are so many voice lines

so, so many

The opening tutorial is astoundingly slow and doesn’t seem skippable. The entire aesthetic is like “what if Square Enix spent all of their money pretending to be ATLUS - the whole game has a very “what if the characters in Persona 3 had a giant bottle of champagne in their dorm and were incapable of feeling negative emotions” vibe.

The characters are weird rip-offs of other franchises - the main mascot character is basically Seraphine from LoL with a trans pride skin (which owns, ngl), then there’s the apex legends guy, the fortnite girl, the gender-swapped main character from Soul Hackers 2 (see above re: ATLUS influences).

The UI for your hangout is really bad and sometimes you need to wiggle the stick around an interactable object for a while before you find the magic positioning and angle required to actually interact with it.

have I mentioned how much loving voice acting there is? and it’s all so so so bad. the training missions for the first character are her doing a radio call in show while saving the world and everyone calling in to tell her how rad she is. the positivity on display wraps around to something sinister and alien. the whole game seems like it comes from some extremely stupid, extremely hedonistic alternate world.

…… but gently caress if the actual multiplayer matches aren’t really fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I tried Foamstars back when it had its first few public session, and I just couldn't get into it. It felt like it was hitting the exact opposite of what Splatoon goes for gameplay-wise, making movement sloggier instead of faster as you cover the arena. Maybe I didn't get a good feel for it since I didn't give it much time, but I just wasn't enjoying it up front.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

well then it's not a fallout game, is it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

It made sense in Fallout 1 and kinda 2 where everything is just a huge empty wasteland with communities that top out at like 30 people. Even Junktown is free of debris and garbage, you know, in the places where people live, even if its walls and construction materials is made from junk.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

Exactly the same experience with Starfield and shipbuilding. Janky nonsense that is a huge "selling point" and ultimately barely even connects to any other game systems.

I will admit that it was pretty cool to spend half an hour putting something together in the editor and then get to walk through it in first person to take in the scale of the thing.

Once.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

It made sense in Fallout 1 and kinda 2 where everything is just a huge empty wasteland with communities that top out at like 30 people. Even Junktown is free of debris and garbage, you know, in the places where people live, even if its walls and construction materials is made from junk.

And Shady Sands is mostly earthen/adobe-esque huts! The sort of thing people would naturally build after a while. The game's settlements are actually more varied than just junk everywhere.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Fallout 4 is one of the only videogames I can think of where the main quest actively drags the rest of the game down around it to make it worse by association.

In general Bethesda's main quests are always pretty weak, but it's notable in their Fallout games because they have these very long intros that WANT you to be really invested in the main story. In 4 I kinda see what they wanted to do in giving a glimpse of life before the fall and having you actually experience the initial panic and all, but- yeah. It's sort of at odds with the most of the game being "go anywhere and do whatever", and specifically they're often set up in such a way that the main quest has to be isolated from everything else.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Rockman Reserve posted:

foamstars

oh god foamstars

I’m pretty sure it’s F2P but it was part of the PS+ games this month I don’t know, all I know is it was in my library and I fired it up on a whim

it’s basically Splatoon if Splatoon was weirdly horny….but also it goes out of its way to make things super saccharine and kid-friendly. “remember, foamsmash is about respecting each others beliefs! it’s not a battle, it’s a party! they’re chills, not kills, help someone chill and get back to the party!” - actual voice lines

and oh god there are so many voice lines

so, so many

The opening tutorial is astoundingly slow and doesn’t seem skippable. The entire aesthetic is like “what if Square Enix spent all of their money pretending to be ATLUS - the whole game has a very “what if the characters in Persona 3 had a giant bottle of champagne in their dorm and were incapable of feeling negative emotions” vibe.

The characters are weird rip-offs of other franchises - the main mascot character is basically Seraphine from LoL with a trans pride skin (which owns, ngl), then there’s the apex legends guy, the fortnite girl, the gender-swapped main character from Soul Hackers 2 (see above re: ATLUS influences).

The UI for your hangout is really bad and sometimes you need to wiggle the stick around an interactable object for a while before you find the magic positioning and angle required to actually interact with it.

have I mentioned how much loving voice acting there is? and it’s all so so so bad. the training missions for the first character are her doing a radio call in show while saving the world and everyone calling in to tell her how rad she is. the positivity on display wraps around to something sinister and alien. the whole game seems like it comes from some extremely stupid, extremely hedonistic alternate world.

…… but gently caress if the actual multiplayer matches aren’t really fun.

The thing that turned me off of Foamstars is the fact there's an in-game shop, like an actual physical location you walk your character to in order to access it... that is real money only. And said real money only seemed to be the only source of player skins and such, you know, the only cosmetics that MATTER in a game like this. Put such a sour taste in my mouth I immediately uninstalled. Thank god I didn't pay actual money for that...

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I played Foamstars with some friends when it was free. I actually liked the gameplay decently enough. But it was so half-baked. Even the skins you paid a good chunk of money for were mostly lazy palette swaps (though I imagine this has changed since then).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can't recall ever finishing a Bethesda game. Usually about 50 hours in, I begin to lose interest. I never played New Vegas and grabbed it for like 3 bux, which I assume is worth it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

weirdly the fallouts are one of the styles of games i do finish.

it's metroidvanias i struggle to finish. so often i get to just before or right to the final boss and there's a huge spike in challenge so i just put the controller down and play something else

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was gonna brag about having beaten a Bethesda game without even liking Bethesda games, but I looked it up and remembered Outer Worlds isn't even from them. I don't even know why I pushed through to the end, it's not terrible, but it's everything I find "eh :shrug:" about actual Bethesda games. Gave in to the sunk cost fallacy, I guess.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the only bethesda game I’ve ever finished is fallout 3 and like 90% of it was infuriatingly dumb

like people rag on the very end a lot (because it is a profoundly stupid forced sacrifice that makes zero sense in the setting) but your lovely dad in FO3 is the world’s most gullible idiot the whole time

some cool setpieces though with the leave it to beaver simulation world and the giant Statue of Liberty robot or whatever. but just no thought behind them or how they hung together in a narrative. it’s like the entire plot has the problem of that megaton (or whatever the city is called) quest - sure you COULD nuke the city, but the only real reason to do so is to be a weird video game monkey and not anything to do with the world the game is presenting you with

morrowind solves this problem by having an actual good and interesting plot and also having the player character explicitly not have any particular reason to care about it unless it hooks them. you’re sprung from prison and it’s like sure, i’ll go see some fuckin g-man in balmora….eventually….probably.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't recall ever finishing a Bethesda game. Usually about 50 hours in, I begin to lose interest. I never played New Vegas and grabbed it for like 3 bux, which I assume is worth it.

Morrowind is the only one I ever beat. FNV too but that doesn't count, being Obsidian. Despite so many hours playing fallouts and skyrim, I get distracted by whatever and then fall off the game usually having hardly touched the main quest

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Oblivion was the first one I played so, in contrast, Morrowind was the one I never fully completed. I appreciate what it brought to the series in terms of world-building and characterisation, and I finished the main stories of the base game and both expansions, but I was never going to do the more obscure stuff. It's probably fine if you grew up with it, but I found so much of it visually and physically miserable without mods.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm a genetic freak and therefore have close-to-100%ed Morrowind, Oblivion, F3, NV, Skyrim, and F4. (As has been extensively and exhaustively chronicled in this very thread!)

It's honestly hard for me to rank them against each other. I think Oblivion and F3 do drag behind the rest, but Oblivion has its bright spots and F3 has the benefit of being able to be merged together with NV which uplifts both games. Really all of them end up being a mix of stuff I really like and stuff I don't care for as much. :shrug:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Bussamove posted:

What, you’re telling me Bethesda is afraid to try and innovate or progress their settings in any way that isn’t shallow as a puddle? Poppycock.

Realtalk it’s incredibly frustrating how stagnant they made the Fallout setting. Every game being so far-flung from one another so they don’t have to actually think about how anything fits together and can just repeat the same beats over and over just makes it all feel so loving bad.

New Vegas doesn’t count, it is perfect in every way.

Byzantine posted:

well then it's not a fallout game, is it

Genuinely the most frustrating thing about Bethesda's approach to Fallout is that they insist on moving the timeline on but also changing nothing significant. Like, if 3 and 4 were set just after 1 or around the same time? No problem, the place should look like that and society should be fragmented and in small pockets. But if you explicitly want to set things AFTER Fallout 2, where we've seen the NCR form, we've seen ORGANISED crime reemerge in Reno, all that stuff. A fragment of the Enclave still existing and being run by a computer that thinks it's a person? That SHOULD have been great, it feels properly fallout-y, but Eden is just a damp squib and I can't really remember anyone else that's kicking around in 3 apart from the Brotherhood (whose fallout 3 failings have been litigated to death). The brief side quest about the Commonwealth and their synths in 3 is one of the few bits that Bethesda really added something new to Fallout. And then they made 4 and ruined that by making the Institute boring.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I've never been able to get past how Oblivion looks, I've always hated it to such a degree that it turned me off really committing, so I have a bunch of experience going "THIS time" and then pursuing half a guild questline and giving up. I will say though that I still remember one of the very first times I fought in the arena, where I killed a guy with a sick backhand blow from a mace that sent him skidding sideways into a post or something that he bent backwards over like Homer in that fight he has in the aquarium. Insanely cool poo poo that immediately sold me on them bothering to implement big physics.

I consider Oblivion an absolute masterpiece compared to FO3 though. In my eyes it's Bethesda's worst game and it isn't close; it's not terrible when you are purely loving about exploring random places with no interactions with non-hostie NPCs whatsoever, and there are one or two interesting ideas buried in it, but almost everything else is as appealing to me as a cold bucket of vomit. Since the day FO4 released I have been baffled by so many people who feel 3 was better because to me, for all its flaws and my consideration of it as a fairly middling game, it is so manifestly superior to 3 in every single way that it seems like I've gone crazy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fil5000 posted:

Genuinely the most frustrating thing about Bethesda's approach to Fallout is that they insist on moving the timeline on but also changing nothing significant.
They dropped that for FO76 but that introduced some other issues.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it’s funny that fo4 has so many problems with the plot and base building aspects that nobody ever even comments on how abysmal the leveling/perk system was

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You see people complaining but a lot of PC people moved into using one of the alt leveling systems I think

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Alhazred posted:

Thing that's dragging Skyrim down: That there have to be a plot. I'm having much more fun with loving around with the different factions in the different cities than following the main plot.

I have spent an embarrassing amount of time playing Skyrim on ps3 and then ps4, and I don't think I've ever completed the main Dragon or Civil War plotlines.
Compared to all the sidequests and DLC, they just seem so... bleh.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

it’s funny that fo4 has so many problems with the plot and base building aspects that nobody ever even comments on how abysmal the leveling/perk system was

I actually really liked the levelling system. You never felt stuck with a bad decision, you still had a lot of choices to play the way you wanted, and there was still lots of options even at like level 70 and being done all the DLC when I wrapped up my playthrough.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pookah posted:

I have spent an embarrassing amount of time playing Skyrim on ps3 and then ps4, and I don't think I've ever completed the main Dragon or Civil War plotlines.
Compared to all the sidequests and DLC, they just seem so... bleh.

It doesn’t help that the civil war plot has no real good options. You can side with the imperialist fascists or the nationalist racists, hooray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Opopanax posted:

It doesn’t help that the civil war plot has no real good options. You can side with the imperialist fascists or the nationalist racists, hooray.

Plus it's so boring. You're going up against armies of regular people instead of vampires, mages, werewolf hunters, dragons, automatons, or other cool factions.