Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the ending cutscene of Immortals of Aveum pulls a palpatine

just “how the hell are you back?” “no idea! anyway,”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yakuza/Like A Dragon would have you learn the entire whole rear end game of Shogi and I simply refuse

Shogi was too complicated for me and I never touched it outside of my initial curiosity. Thankfully, the only thing it was required for was 100% completion.

Outrun, though, gently caress that game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm playing thru the Yakuza series since I haven't played 4-6 since around their release and haven't played Kiwami 2 at all, and am going to try and get most of 100% completion in as many as I can because I am not a smart person. I think I might be skipping Shogi because while I've played enough Mahjong Soul to mostly get it I just don't understand superchess.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Mr E posted:

I'm playing thru the Yakuza series since I haven't played 4-6 since around their release and haven't played Kiwami 2 at all, and am going to try and get most of 100% completion in as many as I can because I am not a smart person. I think I might be skipping Shogi because while I've played enough Mahjong Soul to mostly get it I just don't understand superchess.

I love the Yakuza games but this sounds like actual torture

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For Shogi just use CyricZ's guides on either Gamefaqs or Neoseeker. The man is the last DJ of writing proper walkthroughs instead of lovely youtube guides.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Whenever you walked by a Shogi and Mahjong place in Infinite Wealth, someone will say "We will come back and do this."

You can do that on your own time Ichiban.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For Shogi just use CyricZ's guides on either Gamefaqs or Neoseeker. The man is the last DJ of writing proper walkthroughs instead of lovely youtube guides.

Things Absolutely Dragging Games Down: the slow death of GameFAQs

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bring back physical book copies of video games walkthroughs

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Bring back physical book copies of video games walkthroughs

Yeah, like the final fantasy 9 one

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I looked up Shogi on Wikipedia and yeah it reads like some Japanese people saw chess and were like "Okay yeah this is good but what if..."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Rockman Reserve posted:

the ending cutscene of Immortals of Aveum pulls a palpatine

just “how the hell are you back?” “no idea! anyway,”

Yeah I really was liking the game up to that point. Story was interesting, game was fun, characters were entertaining.

Then they pull that and it just took a bunch of the meaning out of it. I get that they wanted to let you continue with side quests and stuff, but they could have done what every other game does and just drops you right before the end battle.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
The trick to mastering Shogi in the Yakuza games is to open a free shogi app and set the computer to the hardest difficulty. Then you mimic your Yakuza opponent's moves in the app, then in turn mimic the app's moves on your own game. And then SUGOI you are a shogi master.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I looked up Shogi on Wikipedia and yeah it reads like some Japanese people saw chess and were like "Okay yeah this is good but what if..."

Shogi and chess evolved from the same game, so that’s kinda what happened with chess too tbh.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This isn't video game related, it's board game related (or more specifically, print-and-play fan content for board games), but I can't find a PNP thread to bitch about this in.

Someone made an Alice in Wonderland fan campaign for Arkham Horror: The Card Game. Mrs Randalor loves Alice in Wonderland and I have plenty of cardstock on hand. Except all the card images are individual .jpgs instead of easy-to-print .pdfs. Fantastic for getting printed professionally, terrible for printing yourself. I spent several days trying to figure out a way to get the cards into a convenient way to print double-sided cards, and... it turns out there's a program that can do it quickly and easily for you. Nothing I read before this morning mentioned this program, even BoardGameGeek's pnp megathread didn't mention it, but apparently it's common knowledge.

Just... incredibly infuriating and I needed a place to vent.

Edit: The program is called nanDECK.

Randalor has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Apr 24, 2024

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

my problem with Arkham Horror LCG is that the campaigns keep getting better and better but I’m probably never going to replay them often enough to see all the content

there are like two or three full scenarios in the latest campaign that I’ll probably never see unless my group decides to marathon it at Arkham Nights or something

(also y’know what the Scarlet Keys seemed overambitious overall in a way that hurt it a bit)

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

This isn't video game related, it's board game related (or more specifically, print-and-play fan content for board games), but I can't find a PNP thread to bitch about this in.

Someone made an Alice in Wonderland fan campaign for Arkham Horror: The Card Game. Mrs Randalor loves Alice in Wonderland and I have plenty of cardstock on hand. Except all the card images are individual .jpgs instead of easy-to-print .pdfs. Fantastic for getting printed professionally, terrible for printing yourself. I spent several days trying to figure out a way to get the cards into a convenient way to print double-sided cards, and... it turns out there's a program that can do it quickly and easily for you. Nothing I read before this morning mentioned this program, even BoardGameGeek's pnp megathread didn't mention it, but apparently it's common knowledge.

Just... incredibly infuriating and I needed a place to vent.

So are you not telling us the name of it as a bit or

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I mean it's common knowledge.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

woke kaczynski posted:

So are you not telling us the name of it as a bit or

The program is called nanDECK, no idea how it actually works as far as doing your own PNP stuff. I meant to include it in my post, but work interrupted me and I forgot to add it in.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

there’s chests and puzzles in the palathon in Immortals of Aveum that you lose access to after a story event despite guides I’ve seen saying nothing is missable

ng+ really doesn’t count

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm stuck in Arc: Twilight of the Spirits for a really silly reason.

Kharg's party is severely underequipped when it comes to defense and I can barely survive basic encounters in chapter 6, and the shop (as it's the first town) hasn't upgraded so I can only buy the worst items. I'll have to make sure that during Kharg's chapter 5, I grind enough to buy a bunch of defense upgrades and make sure I'm keeping up from the start.

Edit: OK, turns out I'm unstuck, got the airship back and have gone somewhere with easy enemies and good equipment. Seems it's only the area around the hometown that's super hard right now.
I think I'll level up a bit before moving on to add an extra edge.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Apr 24, 2024

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

Randalor posted:

The program is called nanDECK, no idea how it actually works as far as doing your own PNP stuff. I meant to include it in my post, but work interrupted me and I forgot to add it in.

That's probably what happened to everybody else who posted about it.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Barotrauma
There's a rare item called Genetic Material that you can find. It's extremely rare, unless you have a Medic player who went down a certain talent tree, which gives them the option to find it on any alien corpse or buy it from shops. In single player, this is easy to accommodate, because you can freely switch between characters on your submarine. In multiplayer, if you don't have someone playing medic, you're SOL. You can get an AI medic, but even getting those talents doesn't do anything since it has to be the medic interacting with things to get the material to appear. This isn't mentioned anywhere in-game, and there are posts online from years ago asking about this and looking for fixes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

System Shock.

The day after I beat the game they added a shortcut that instantly vaporizes all junk items in your inventory. That would cut two hours out of the twenty it took to beat the thing.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Apr 25, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Whereas I benefit from taking a break from the game at the Executive level because I was starting to get too annoyed.

Also the patch fixed custom map markers, thank god. And they even finally added the ability to label them! :monocle:

Edit: Though before it sounds like I'm too excited, I've since learned the scrap you get from vaporizing is worth less than manually recycling items. Which is incredibly loving dumb!

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Apr 26, 2024

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

goddamn i had forgotten how much the forbidden woods in bloodborne loving suck

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Rockman Reserve posted:

goddamn i had forgotten how much the forbidden woods in bloodborne loving suck

Just running from top to bottom to get the shortcuts and gtfo in ng+ is so loving freeing

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

is there anything even there worth picking up? i keep checking nooks and dead ends for items like maybe ritual materials or weapons or something and it’s like fuckin blood stone shards and stuff. thanks, I have triple-digits already, I think I’m good.

i was running root chalices and even compared to those Forbidden Woods is just *mean* in terms of traps and ambushes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
There's a bunch of runes and I think some of them are good for the first run but I don't really gently caress with Ng+ in souls games. I do like the snake ambush and the snake heads but those giant snakes can gently caress off

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Forbidden Woods creeped me the gently caress out more than most zones, or at least the bottom maze part. Half of that was the snakes, so whoever rigged the animations for the villagers that explode a snake colony head, the tiny snake balls with their unnerving writhing, and the giant orochi snake balls should be proud/ashamed of themselves.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

finally done with Forbidden West complete ed. So unbelievable many things that are just bad. It's too much of everything, too many weapons, too many monster sites, checkmark map, one of the worst grinding offenders in singleplayer games: killing the highest tier enemies over and over to get your weapons upgraded to... do what then? Already had to kill all the high tier poo poo to get there. Aloy is pretty much a dick this time and almost all dialogue sucks, often mostly because of her script and acting, some npcs are fun. Also with her VO making so many annoying pauses and is sad and heavy with meaning for the most mundane bullshit, stuff already obvious or explained by the scenerey then dragged out endless over monologues. Thankfully skippable. Not to mention the countless unnecessary hint callouts.
Traversal is awful - I actually do not remember it beeing so bad in Zero Dawn? Or maybe it was not as much, or the games general novelty to me back then overshadowed it.

Its semi-auto approach never really works well, and everything feels like a slog waiting for animations to finish. There was 0 fluid movement feel in any given situation. Camera distance sucks especially interrior and all the time playing with m/k felt wrong as I would imagine rumble did a lot of carry for certain traversal stuff or animations (didn't try tho). Even flying had no sense of speed and up/downwards movement was just akward. All games I remember playing over the past decade or so that had some sort of diverse traversal stuff made it fun or fluid at least partially.
The entire scanning thing just annoying (this was already bad in ZD) seeing nothing with the ping except a way to small radius of absolutley badly designed icons that just vanish against bright backgrounds for pickups. Why are small animals not pinged? It was so bad always having to switch to the zoomed in mode to find some dumb gull that then went down in an instant. Lots of inconsistencies as well with the terrible glued on "investigation" nonsense where you have to scan and then also interact with highlighted objects... like that tech can do everything but you need to play 1830 detective for basic stuff? Yeah no. And sure, that elevator that is complete rust and roots definitively still works and is safe to use.

Truly exhausting experience that felt outdated like a worse AssCreed clone but from like 2015 or so gameplay wise.

Technically marvelous though. Extremely fast loading, amazing world visually and great tech utilization without going down the "must have raytracing" road. Very pretty, obviously, but also just extremely well done tech-wise which I always love and PROBABLY was the reason I just went on with it. And the machines were still cool, if way too fast and with weird AI errors. Too bad it just had a few Tallnecks. Music and most sounddesign was also great. And it was good to hear Lance Reddicks voice some more even with a bad script, rip.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
playing forbidden west is like having someone lightly smack you upside the head every ten minutes for 45 hours

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

John Murdoch posted:

Whereas I benefit from taking a break from the game at the Executive level because I was starting to get too annoyed.

Also the patch fixed custom map markers, thank god. And they even finally added the ability to label them! :monocle:

Edit: Though before it sounds like I'm too excited, I've since learned the scrap you get from vaporizing is worth less than manually recycling items. Which is incredibly loving dumb!

I noticed that and figured it's that way as a cost tradeoff. You either melt poo poo that can be quite sizable and maybe not stackable into easily stacked tiny cubes in order to make less trips with the tradeoff being less value, or you trek back to the recycler more often with inventory juggling to get more out of all the pointless trash you loot. :shrug:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Except the only real cost is your time, so you're penalized for avoiding tedium. Plus, the quick and dirty alternative of vaporizing is already cumbersome and involves too much inventory management. Add on top of that the recycler's tiny inventory size and need to pay out one coin at a time and it's just a miserably designed system.

What makes it really stand out is that it's something invented for the remake and is so flagrantly aping Prey, but with zero understanding of why it worked there.

The economy already isn't well balanced but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they completely screwed up and made it so occasionally recycling a handful of junk items is more rewarding then cashing in the entire level's compliment pre-compacted.

Edit: A quick search seems to prove me wrong on that point, insomuch that even vaporizing everything will eventually leave you with piles of credits. But certainly where I'm at in the game its felt like my rate of accrual has gone way down, probably because my inventory is completely clogged.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Apr 26, 2024

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Except the only real cost is your time, so you're penalized for avoiding tedium.

nobody tell this guy about rpgs

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Turnip Kid Robs a Bank: in a game with over two dozen weirdass weapons ranging from a CD rocket launcher that steals the souls of my killed enemies so I can feed them to a Dark Souls bonfire to a magic candy wand it’s kinda frustrating that there’s, as far as I know, only one locker slot where you can stash a spare weapon. It’s only a little bit of an annoyance because you can always start with generally better, infinite ammo weapons than those, but I still wanna use my toaster machine gun and not feel like I need to mulch every weird weapon I find for weapon EXP because I have no space for new weird weapons anyway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm generally enjoying Jedi Survivor but it does have some issues with actually explaining poo poo. Like how there's a button combo to do a lightsaber throw and the only way you'd know about it is if you went into an optional training mode that only opens up after you complete the opening of the game and have done enough combat for you to not need a training mode. Then there are little droids you'll randomly find and apparently you're supposed to just murder them because they carry the game's cosmetic currency. Also for a game that's been out a year it is extremely buggy with animation and graphics glitches happening often.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Far Cry 6 got rid of the inventory shops and you can just swap weapons in the field (which is good). They also got rid of the "Sell All" button for your skins (which sucks rear end) probably because the Camp Kitchen mechanic, which I don't bother using because the benefits are neglible, requires skins.

They also got rid of the skills tree and now you just get clothes that give you perks, but only when you're wearing them. No permanent multi perks for you! You can run faster OR die slightly slower, but not both unless you dive into the inventory to swap outfits every time you get into a fire fight. At least make the four outfit slots hot-swappable in game!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

darkwasthenight posted:

Far Cry 6 got rid of the inventory shops and you can just swap weapons in the field (which is good). They also got rid of the "Sell All" button for your skins (which sucks rear end) probably because the Camp Kitchen mechanic, which I don't bother using because the benefits are neglible, requires skins.

They also got rid of the skills tree and now you just get clothes that give you perks, but only when you're wearing them. No permanent multi perks for you! You can run faster OR die slightly slower, but not both unless you dive into the inventory to swap outfits every time you get into a fire fight. At least make the four outfit slots hot-swappable in game!

the clothing system loving blows

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’m trying to give FO4 another shot after forever now that there’s a PS5/60fps update but I can’t get over how the plants and trees are all brown while the whole sky is a clear beautiful cloudless blue.

The sky’s too nice looking for the nuclear apocalypse. Brown trees and blue skies is just the New Jersey pine barrens! They’re like this every year, apocalypse or not! :mad:

e: vvv And yeah agreed! Though I appreciate that there’s very rarely a time-related reason for any of the “I can’t open my phone right now” stuff to actually make a difference.

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It's too hard to remember/know which fish I've already triple-starred in Dave the Diver because you both can't view the "fish app" while diving*, and too many fish look similar.

*Which, to be fair, does make sense from a "diagetic" POV, cause I'm in the water and can't check my phone....but it's still annoying.