Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's too hard to remember/know which fish I've already triple-starred in Dave the Diver because you both can't view the "fish app" while diving*, and too many fish look similar.

*Which, to be fair, does make sense from a "diagetic" POV, cause I'm in the water and can't check my phone....but it's still annoying.

I think you do eventually unlock a thingamabob that lets you check on that, though the UI was inconvenient from what I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DrBouvenstein posted:

*Which, to be fair, does make sense from a "diagetic" POV, cause I'm in the water and can't check my phone....but it's still annoying.

it's called a ziplock bag

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dewgy posted:

I’m trying to give FO4 another shot after forever now that there’s a PS5/60fps update but I can’t get over how the plants and trees are all brown while the whole sky is a clear beautiful cloudless blue.

The sky’s too nice looking for the nuclear apocalypse. Brown trees and blue skies is just the New Jersey pine barrens! They’re like this every year, apocalypse or not! :mad:

e: vvv And yeah agreed! Though I appreciate that there’s very rarely a time-related reason for any of the “I can’t open my phone right now” stuff to actually make a difference.

I hate that fences still won't map to the goddamn ground.
All I want is to fence in my little veggie garden in Sanctuary, but no, the loving fence is like 7 feet off the ground in places.

They should have made the settlements symmetrical, and the pieces should have goddamn been sized properly to fit.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I don't think a nuclear war would change the color of the sky.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

the_steve posted:

I hate that fences still won't map to the goddamn ground.
All I want is to fence in my little veggie garden in Sanctuary, but no, the loving fence is like 7 feet off the ground in places.

They should have made the settlements symmetrical, and the pieces should have goddamn been sized properly to fit.

Yeah, poo poo like that is why I found Sim Settlements 2 to be the one mod I'll always install for Fo4.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Am I allowed to say I'm the thing dragging the game down?

Played The Surge on PC when it first came out. didn't have a good controller for my PC, but m+kb seemed just fine.

Played The Surge 2 a bunch when it came out as well.

Played Lies of P, really liked it to the point of back to back doing NG, NG+ and NG++, played it with a controller this time because I had finally sprung for an xbox controller last year.

Just finished a run of The Surge 2 because I caught myself thinking "huh, using a controller seems to go okay with soulslikes" while playing Lies of P, and wanted to give an old favourite a go.

Hey guys.

Did you know that directional parrying is FAR easier when all you need to do is tap an analogue stick in a cardinal direction, rather than sweeping a mouse across a desk? BECAUSE I SURE THE gently caress DIDN'T BEFORE THIS WEEK!

Finished it in about half the time as the last time I played it, and died like 5 times in total. Turns out that the directional parry system isn't punishingly tight, it's just my dumb rear end was using the wrong tool for the job.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My partner really wanted us to play Tiny Tina's Wonderlands together. The game's sense of humour is like nails down a chalkboard to me but I have to smile and fake laugh or I'll spoil it for her.

I hate it so so much.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Necrothatcher posted:

My partner really wanted us to play Tiny Tina's Wonderlands together. The game's sense of humour is like nails down a chalkboard to me but I have to smile and fake laugh or I'll spoil it for her.

I hate it so so much.

Is it that your partner just vibes more with that type of humour or is it more that they've not been exposed to it so much it's become annoying?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Is it that your partner just vibes more with that type of humour or is it more that they've not been exposed to it so much it's become annoying?

I think it's more that I'm British and she's American. When I showed her the comedy shows I like she was horrified.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It wasn't that the show you chose was british, it was that it was Little Britain :P Anyone would have that response.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

It wasn't that the show you chose was british, it was that it was Little Britain :P Anyone would have that response.

the superiority of British humour cannot be denied:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wue9BiRAv8I&t=1520s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think my favourite cross over with british humour and actual places was in the Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit game where I actually thought (as I'd never heard of it), that Grimsby was a fictional town, because it's the type of name that feels like it was made up to take the piss out of dreary port towns, and all the other locations are fictionalised versions of real British landscapes. Then while working at a call centre I had a call from someone who was actually FROM Grimsby.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my favourite cross over with british humour and actual places was in the Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit game where I actually thought (as I'd never heard of it), that Grimsby was a fictional town, because it's the type of name that feels like it was made up to take the piss out of dreary port towns, and all the other locations are fictionalised versions of real British landscapes. Then while working at a call centre I had a call from someone who was actually FROM Grimsby.

Grimsby SOUNDS like an awful name for a place but at least it's not Cleethorpes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Slough, Staines, etc.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Scunthorpe.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

You can't say that one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Necrothatcher posted:

I hate it so so much.

I have a thing dragging Tiny Tina's Wonderlands down, me and two friends started playing it and then took a break because other games came out. Since then one of them has passed away and while we want to pick it back up we can't bring ourselves to because it's still too soon.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh....

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, poo poo like that is why I found Sim Settlements 2 to be the one mod I'll always install for Fo4.

Sadly, I play on PS5. About the only settlement mods I can find there are poo poo like "All settlements have perimeter walls already" and "infinite resources."
Granted, the wall one doesn't sound like a bad one, but, that's about the only worthwhile one I can find.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Fil5000 posted:

Grimsby SOUNDS like an awful name for a place but at least it's not Cleethorpes.

Oddly enough Cleethorpes is getting (very) slowly gentrified while Grimsby is post-apocalyptic these days. Even the massage parlour shut down.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
Borderlands 2 was terrible too, did the whole intro with ClapTrap and Jack babbling in your ear with stupid jokes the whole time and no amount of 'good gameplay' is worth putting up with that poo poo

Wait this isn't the unpopular opinions thread-

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Necrothatcher posted:

I think it's more that I'm British and she's American. When I showed her the comedy shows I like she was horrified.

Borderlands humor is grating for everyone. Or should be.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Staines feels pretty bougie now

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i don't like the Disease ailment in FFXII... nope, not one bit...

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Sally posted:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

the_steve posted:

Sadly, I play on PS5. About the only settlement mods I can find there are poo poo like "All settlements have perimeter walls already" and "infinite resources."
Granted, the wall one doesn't sound like a bad one, but, that's about the only worthwhile one I can find.

Ugh I forgot that the ps5 version had a really limited mod selection and I just bought it last week and haven't done much except get dogmeat

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Ugh I forgot that the ps5 version had a really limited mod selection and I just bought it last week and haven't done much except get dogmeat

I've been trying to craft, one of the add-ons has a quest to get some Hellfire Power Armor and I've been trying to upgrade it as much as my level 12 rear end can.
That and debating whether or not I want to try to get the Supply Line perk from Charisma or not. On the one hand, it'd be nice to be able to use any settlement as a base to craft and repair so that I don't have to fast travel all the time, or at least don't have to keep traveling to Sanctuary to dump everything into that one specific workbench.
But on the other hand, I do not really give a gently caress about settlements. I do not have fun trying to lay them out, and I doubt I'd be any good at making even just a private base for myself.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Murdoch posted:

No loving way. I had seen references to a "chess puzzle" in passing and assumed it was, y'know, a puzzle. And of course, when you say one of the most important upgrades, having now looked it up to confirm, yeah that one. Why??

Following up on this, playing on normal puzzle difficulty (I assume that's what controls it), I can confirm that you don't play a full game of chess. It's like 3 moves to checkmate. Now, best I can tell it still isn't actually a chess *puzzle* in the traditional sense because the enemy's moves are non-deterministic. They just set you up with such a limited board that it's relatively easy to win. What confuses me is why it's even there at all. I dunno if I missed a log somewhere that explains it, but solving the chess board arbitrarily opens an otherwise locked door and behind it is your much-needed inventory upgrade. ...Okay?

It dovetails into my current complaint which is that Executive is a goddamn mess of a level. You've got multiple large, tense spaces full of enemies. Good. Then lots of nonsense corridors with barely anything in them. Bad. 50/50 on okay ambushes vs. dickish ones. It also has the highest concentration of broken doors that lead nowhere and a few that solely exist to enforce a linear path but can't be opened once you come around from the right direction. It's almost certainly got one of the highest junk prop counts in the game...but also gently caress you, the recycler is in the most obnoxious, time-wasting spot possible. The first Diego encounter is also awkward as hell.

The two non-contaminated groves are also a big bunch of nothing. Almost completely linear, zero music for some reason?, a small gauntlet of mutant enemies in each one, and then you hit a switch and leave. Aside from the aforementioned chess puzzle/inventory boost and a new weapon, there's basically no loot at all. No logs, either. I had guessed that maybe it was done on purpose because the game implies you could optionally jettison those groves (why you would, I don't know) but no, you can't. Not even in the original. So instead it just comes off as a case where they probably adhered a bit too close to the original, because they feel like old, empty levels with a flashy coat of paint to try and distract you from it. They let you jet boost up to the highest level and circumnavigate the entire map, but there's no reason to. Strangely I did find one corpse up there but it had nothing on it. Not that having obtusely hidden secrets would help improve them...

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Apr 29, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

the_steve posted:

I've been trying to craft, one of the add-ons has a quest to get some Hellfire Power Armor and I've been trying to upgrade it as much as my level 12 rear end can.
That and debating whether or not I want to try to get the Supply Line perk from Charisma or not. On the one hand, it'd be nice to be able to use any settlement as a base to craft and repair so that I don't have to fast travel all the time, or at least don't have to keep traveling to Sanctuary to dump everything into that one specific workbench.
But on the other hand, I do not really give a gently caress about settlements. I do not have fun trying to lay them out, and I doubt I'd be any good at making even just a private base for myself.

If you're gonna do any in-depth crafting at all, it's super important to get Local Leader 2. It's of course important if you're playing on Survival and can't fast-travel, but even in normal mode having a base nearby where you can dump all your poo poo and there's a Resident Evil-type item box with all your materials is much more convenient.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Philippe posted:

If you're gonna do any in-depth crafting at all, it's super important to get Local Leader 2. It's of course important if you're playing on Survival and can't fast-travel, but even in normal mode having a base nearby where you can dump all your poo poo and there's a Resident Evil-type item box with all your materials is much more convenient.

drat, yeah, that's what I was leaning towards too, because goddamn do I love looting, but Cait and I can only carry so much. Especially with this Enclave quest where we're bringing back entire sets of Hellfire armor.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally posted:

needed to rant more about this... playing the game has been relatively smooth so far. not exceedingly difficult. cruising through. get to the ancient city of Giruvegan, all good, fight a boss, okay... start going down these large ramps called the Water Steps and they are just covered with Marlboro-variants (Vivians). only these ones don't just have bad breath, but they cause Disease. didn't know what that did at first because it hadn't shown up for me as a status effect until this point. found out real quick after i ran out of Serums to cure it (I had only acquired five over the course of just playing the game).

see, i thought was gonna be like Virus in FFIX and stop you from getting more XP. it isn't. instead it changes a character's current HP to their max HP. party members got hit with it while low on health and it hosed me right up. wound up with party members who only had ~100hp. got my rear end kicked.

saw that maxxed Remedy Lore licenses could cure it, but my class set-up meant only a few of my party had it and they were my under-levelled B-team... had to retreat to recover at a save point.

thought i'd go stock up on Serums, but no standard stores sell them. You have to go to a certain airship flight and buy them from the mid-flight gift shop--only that shop doesn't start selling Serums until after you beat Giruvegan apparently.

spell-wise, I can use "Cleanse" to heal it. Only i don't have Cleanse yet because it's in a currently optional area. Have backtracked up to the location but it's not a guaranteed spawn. apparently only has a 20% chance of appearing--hasn't yet.

the spell "Bubble", as long as it's cast, can prevent Serum. I have one Bubble Belt accessory, so one party member is alright, but I don't have the spell. can't go and buy either the spell or more belts because I haven't been religiously keeping up with the hunt or clan side-quests and you need to be a certain rank to buy it from the guild store.

just... what a lovely ailment and lovely fix for it. now i have to decide what is less tedious: running in and out of the Cerobbi Steppes until Cleanse spawns, grinding up my underlevelled B-team, reclassing my main characters, or backtracking to do the hunt sidequests until i rank up enough. the last one seems like the obvious winner, but gat drat has this killed the main story's momentum for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really disliked system shock tbh, at least the remake. Directionless landmark-less rear end game that looks like it takes place in Roblox with annoying minigames and shooting respawning enemies with non refundable resources. It was hard to pay attention to the actual game when I was spending a lot of it looking at the map, rerunning floors to find the next place to go. Shodan's voice acting was the only reason I stuck around.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Apr 29, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The respawning enemies aspect hasn't been so bad thusfar. Knocking out security really does its job. I do think the random elevators popping out of the ground with enemies to ambush you is patently ridiculous though.

Now that map markers are functional I feel way more in control of navigation, but also I love love love the sort of methodical dungeon clearing the game is going for. That said, the map is Not Great. I dunno if I'm blind, but it auto-marks certain things without a legend explaining the symbols?? You can't mouse over them to get a tooltip?? And like a lot of UI elements the symbols are too small and also bleed into the map lines. Real basic cockups. And obviously some levels are just a squirrely mess with no flow, like the aforementioned Executive deck.

The hacking minigame is one of the most bewilderingly ill-conceived things I've ever seen tacked onto a game. Best I can tell from what I've gleaned, the original goes for a simultaneously more abstract, cyberpunk hacking feel while also managing to be more detailed with additional stuff to find and interact with. In the remake, you play a really boring, unforgiving, visually flat Descent knockoff that feels so far removed from the rest of the game that you could easily cut it without losing anything. I'd go so far as to say it feels like it got minimal development time and I consider it unfinished, which may very well be the truth given some of the other things that have only gotten patched in after the fact.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Cyberspace was easily the worst part of the original System Shock as well, but they'd have been better served by cutting it entirely in the remake.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Is there a game with a GOOD version of cyberspace? Something that's not just normal gameplay with a different skin on it, or a horribly underbaked minigame? The only example springing to mind for me is Shadowrun, which was a pretty meh interpretation for me.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Muscle Tracer posted:

Is there a game with a GOOD version of cyberspace? Something that's not just normal gameplay with a different skin on it, or a horribly underbaked minigame? The only example springing to mind for me is Shadowrun, which was a pretty meh interpretation for me.

Hypnospace outlaw

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Lawnmower Man on NES/Gameboy. Yes, I did beat that game although it was via emulator.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Muscle Tracer posted:

mega man battle network 2

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

William Shatner’s TekWar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Vic posted:

Hypnospace outlaw

that's actually hypnospace though