Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

So, eventually all gangbangers will be undercover cops. Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

LoonShia posted:

So, eventually all gangbangers will be undercover cops. Fair enough.

This is essentially the plot to G. K. Chesterton's novel The Man Who Was Thursday that shows up in several places in the first Deus Ex.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Croccers posted:

Crippling Police for life is slightly better than murdering them! :eng101:
Oh my God, it literally is Person of Interest: The Game. :allears:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Croccers posted:

Crippling Police for life is slightly better than murdering them! :eng101:
I mean... they're right but you know, you still really shouldn't encourage shooting police.
Actually the Scarface game had an interesting way of handling police.

It's a universal law of fiction that a bullet to any of the extremities is a minor inconvenience that will be healed by the end of the day.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I hate how games break my immersion by letting people walk away from injuries to their arms and legs.

Hacking the databases to turn off helicopters, that's okay though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I hate how games break my immersion by letting people walk away from injuries to their arms and legs.

Hacking the databases to turn off helicopters, that's okay though.

My point was the exact opposite, actually: That's how it works in fiction, so just roll with it and don't sweat it about "crippling them for life" or whatever. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Generic American posted:

Oh my God, it literally is Person of Interest: The Game. :allears:

I just got my hands on a grenade launcher in-game, the person of interest experience starts here. :c00lbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

My point was the exact opposite, actually: That's how it works in fiction, so just roll with it and don't sweat it about "crippling them for life" or whatever. :v:

It was a general point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its a small thing but I do agree it sucks you don't get some sort of bonus xp for being stealthy in Watch Dogs. One of the first few missions you have to hack into a ctos base, you could go in guns blazing but I actually managed to do it without even entering the base or killing anyone by swapping cameras, then after getting the code distracting the guard with a hidden camera to walk towards the thing you have to hack. Nothing to show for it :(

EDIT: Oh and when you first start driving in a car its like Aiden just floors it so the car barely moves while peeling out. gently caress man, ease on the gas you neanderthal.

Leal has a new favorite as of 19:02 on May 31, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of weird that its actually worse for you if you do an area by completely avoiding guards. You actually want to stealth takedown to get the most XP.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I guess this more belongs in the other thread, but I think Splinter Cell: Blacklist did really good with that. You got 100 XP for stealth kills, 150 for stealth KOs, and 200 for every enemy that you sneaked past entirely (once you reach the end of the mission). It subtracts 50 points for each if you were spotted. So leaving absolutely no trace of your existence was rewarded more by far.

Of course, I don't think that could really work in an open-world game like Watch_Dogs, at least not the part where it determines which enemies you just ghosted past. Maybe in the linear missions themselves (I haven't actually played Watch_Dogs yet).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've been slowly playing through Age of Mythology HD, and while it's a very fun game with a nice variety of missions that differ from the "Build a base, destroy enemy base" formula (even if it's just "Destroy X-type of building in enemy base, you usually have a few ways of pulling it off) there's one mission that just pisses me off. Tug of War, where you and the opponent are fighting over a container being pulled by two camels. The problem with the mission being that it starts under enemy control, you have next to no units and by the time you get a good-sized army built up to catch up to the box and take and hold the camels, it's almost to the enemy's base. And these camels move slowly. The mission is just a slog of "Build units and throw them at the enemy waves while hoping enough don't slip by to cause you to lose control of the camels."

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I guess this more belongs in the other thread, but I think Splinter Cell: Blacklist did really good with that. You got 100 XP for stealth kills, 150 for stealth KOs, and 200 for every enemy that you sneaked past entirely (once you reach the end of the mission). It subtracts 50 points for each if you were spotted. So leaving absolutely no trace of your existence was rewarded more by far.

Of course, I don't think that could really work in an open-world game like Watch_Dogs, at least not the part where it determines which enemies you just ghosted past. Maybe in the linear missions themselves (I haven't actually played Watch_Dogs yet).

Missions are a flat payout of XP, plus you get XP for disabling guards (more for a melee takedown than shooting, I think, but only a bit.)

Would have been nice to be like Far Cry 3 where there's a small bonus for not letting the alarm be triggered while taking a garrison, and a large bonus for not being detected at all.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Randalor posted:

I've been slowly playing through Age of Mythology HD, and while it's a very fun game with a nice variety of missions that differ from the "Build a base, destroy enemy base" formula (even if it's just "Destroy X-type of building in enemy base, you usually have a few ways of pulling it off) there's one mission that just pisses me off. Tug of War, where you and the opponent are fighting over a container being pulled by two camels. The problem with the mission being that it starts under enemy control, you have next to no units and by the time you get a good-sized army built up to catch up to the box and take and hold the camels, it's almost to the enemy's base. And these camels move slowly. The mission is just a slog of "Build units and throw them at the enemy waves while hoping enough don't slip by to cause you to lose control of the camels."

You have the ancestors and serpents god powers at the start which you can just use on the foes at the kart and immediately retake it. You'll also resurrect the Campaign heroes, from there just spam a bunch of cheap units from your military buildings and away you go.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

XP bonuses for stealth, diplomacy and hacking work better in open-world games where there is no limit to the XP you can gain, like Fallout. Having such bonuses in more structured games like DXHR is problematic, as XP is limited, and it conditions you to play a certain way even though you'll hardly need the extra XP.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

khwarezm posted:

You have the ancestors and serpents god powers at the start which you can just use on the foes at the kart and immediately retake it. You'll also resurrect the Campaign heroes, from there just spam a bunch of cheap units from your military buildings and away you go.

The problem with that is that the enemy has almost a full wave of units ready to go at the start of the mission, and the trigger for it is "if the player control the cart, begin sending waves", so while you can retake the cart right away, you have very little time to get an army built up to defend it. I beat it with axe men spam, it's just a tedious mission with little variation for how long it takes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's a universal law of fiction that a bullet to any of the extremities is a minor inconvenience that will be healed by the end of the day.

Fallout: New Vegas

One of the designers got kinda bitchy that players kept tending towards a Sniper build for long-distance headshots instead of "experimenting with limb-targeting tactics". This is because limb-targeting is bad; "i can shoot their leg and make them run at only 90% speed! i can shoot their arm so they drop their weapon and then pick it back up with the broken arm and keep firing!".

So he designed the DLC Dead Money to have enemies who could not be killed except by dismemberment and having the DLC take away all the players' equipment. Then the Old World Blues DLC spawns packs of enemies right behind you so you can't snipe them and has basically no bullets in the area.

New Vegas is waaaay too good to be brought down by this, but it's still annoying to see a game so obviously going "stop playing in ways i don't like!".

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Limb-shooting was sometimes effective; deathclaws were much less dangerous if you crippled their legs so they can't jump at you, shooting off a cazadores wings instantly turned them from one of the most frustrating deadly enemies in the game to a helpless bug, and targeting powerful weapons like miniguns and flamethrowers would force them to use something else and you could usually destroy the gun quicker than you could kill the bad guy holding it. Other than those really specific situations and a few others that probably exist but I can't think of them right now, though, yeah, it was better to just shoot for the head as many times as your AP allowed all the time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That kinda relates to one weirdest VATS kinks. Normally you get a percentage of hitting and if you fail the roll the shot simply passes close to them, there is an exception. The grenade launchers all fire in an arc. What this means is that if you're even a little distance away from the enemy it no longer matters if you complete the roll. Even if the odds are 1% and the grenade passes them they will still be hit by the explosion. The only limit for this little trick is from how far away you can still vats your target. The grenade rifle is effectively better at sniping then any of the sniper rifles in-game. :v:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Lightning Returns, it appears you can only talk to npcs at certain times. They'll still be there where you can physically see/hit them, they just won't talk to you at all.

I got a quest to get a ball - got said ball, and then couldn't talk to the kid anymore because a few minutes passed and he decided he just wanted to stand there and not talk to me anymore.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

scarycave posted:

In Lightning Returns, it appears you can only talk to npcs at certain times. They'll still be there where you can physically see/hit them, they just won't talk to you at all.

I got a quest to get a ball - got said ball, and then couldn't talk to the kid anymore because a few minutes passed and he decided he just wanted to stand there and not talk to me anymore.

Pretty much any jRPG is terrible at quest organization. I have no idea why they think quest markers, or good quest descriptions, or anything like that are so taboo. Look, when I see my quest log and it says "Speak to Tabitha", it'd be really loving helpful if I knew anything about her, when she shows up, where she shows up, and goddamnit.

The limited time aspect of LR doesn't help matters.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Morpheus posted:

Pretty much any jRPG is terrible at quest organization. I have no idea why they think quest markers, or good quest descriptions, or anything like that are so taboo. Look, when I see my quest log and it says "Speak to Tabitha", it'd be really loving helpful if I knew anything about her, when she shows up, where she shows up, and goddamnit.

The limited time aspect of LR doesn't help matters.

I've been running through Lightning Returns the last couple days and this is driving me crazy. I don't know how they expect you to manage time when there's no way of knowing when people will appear or not. I don't like wasting 6 hours taking the train all the way to one area, only to discover the character isn't there, but I have nothing else to do so I just go back.

I've been trying to complete the Adoring Adornments quest for forever now, and every time I go to Yusnaan the girl isn't there. I suppose I could look it up in a guide online, but I don't want to end up at EVE-levels of crazy where I have a spreadsheet with all the available quest times to manage the best route through the areas.

This game is incredibly frustrating for completionists, I think. I only managed to get into it when I realized I was ok with not completing all the quests, and just doing my thing as they come.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Phthisis posted:

I've been running through Lightning Returns the last couple days and this is driving me crazy. I don't know how they expect you to manage time when there's no way of knowing when people will appear or not. I don't like wasting 6 hours taking the train all the way to one area, only to discover the character isn't there, but I have nothing else to do so I just go back.

I've been trying to complete the Adoring Adornments quest for forever now, and every time I go to Yusnaan the girl isn't there. I suppose I could look it up in a guide online, but I don't want to end up at EVE-levels of crazy where I have a spreadsheet with all the available quest times to manage the best route through the areas.

This game is incredibly frustrating for completionists, I think. I only managed to get into it when I realized I was ok with not completing all the quests, and just doing my thing as they come.

The one thing the game has going in this department is that you can NG+ if you run out of time. That's the only thing keeping me sane, knowing that if I gently caress it up I can do that, because yeah I'd go crazy.

Plus, you can fail quests if you don't do them in time, sooo yeah.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Dear Alpha Protocol,
I have serious doubts about the non-lethality of your tranq rounds after one smashed the glass behind the head of the enemy I hit.
Also your motion blur makes you look like a badly compressed jpg.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Randalor posted:

The problem with that is that the enemy has almost a full wave of units ready to go at the start of the mission, and the trigger for it is "if the player control the cart, begin sending waves", so while you can retake the cart right away, you have very little time to get an army built up to defend it. I beat it with axe men spam, it's just a tedious mission with little variation for how long it takes.

Not really, you can win the mission in five minutes even on the highest difficulty which is a far cry from many of the other missions that can go on for half an hour or more. You have six military buildings at the start on the mission, plop down ancestors and serpents, set waypoints near the cart and start streaming out units from all your sources. By the time the first wave of enemy troops have tramped across half the map they'll be looking at tons of chariots, camels and axes, at which point the only thing to worry about are a bunch of sneaky attacks with Rocs and shifting sands if you don't have forces close to the cart.

On topic, and on the same game, holy poo poo, the second and fourth missions of Age of Mythology: the Titans absolutely kick my rear end. The enemy seems to be able to pull vast amounts of troops straight out of their rear end and on the fourth mission especially, you have such a tight amount of resources that if you don't win quickly it becomes a lost cause when you run out of gold.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
South Park: Stick of Truth.

Funny game. Lots of production value. But holy hell is the in-game map terrible. And I'm not sure why they added a Facebook-style social media site. It barely has any real functionality and clutters up the already-cluttered GUI. It definitely seems like an after-thought during the development process.

melon cat has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Jun 1, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

melon cat posted:

South Park: Stick of Truth.

Funny game. Lots of production value. But holy hell is the in-game map terrible. And I'm not sure why they added a Facebook-style social media site. It barely has any real functionality and clutters up the already-cluttered GUI. It definitely seems like it after-thought during the development process.

Well...it does have some story value.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's also a reference to an episode from the show.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Morpheus posted:

The one thing the game has going in this department is that you can NG+ if you run out of time. That's the only thing keeping me sane, knowing that if I gently caress it up I can do that, because yeah I'd go crazy.

Plus, you can fail quests if you don't do them in time, sooo yeah.

Huh, I didn't know about the NG+ thing. Good to know.

Luckily there doesn't seem to be many failable quests from what I've seen.

Also, the key is to abuse the hell out of Chronostasis. If you're in the right area, you can essentially stop time from moving while netting positive EP.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Limb-shooting was sometimes effective; deathclaws were much less dangerous if you crippled their legs so they can't jump at you, shooting off a cazadores wings instantly turned them from one of the most frustrating deadly enemies in the game to a helpless bug, and targeting powerful weapons like miniguns and flamethrowers would force them to use something else and you could usually destroy the gun quicker than you could kill the bad guy holding it. Other than those really specific situations and a few others that probably exist but I can't think of them right now, though, yeah, it was better to just shoot for the head as many times as your AP allowed all the time.

Headshots were pretty much the way to roll in Fallout 1 and 2, except for when you fought bare-handed or in boxing matches and it was preferable to aim for the eyes until you blinded them and then you dickpunched them to death.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Go away Demons, I'm trying to mine Hellstone and not burn to death in Lava, the Underworld in Terraria sucks, best of it is, there's a nasty boss fight down there too, apparantly I have to build a gigantic bridge to fight it properly too, so that'll be fun.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Judge Tesla posted:

Go away Demons, I'm trying to mine Hellstone and not burn to death in Lava, the Underworld in Terraria sucks, best of it is, there's a nasty boss fight down there too, apparantly I have to build a gigantic bridge to fight it properly too, so that'll be fun.

Oh my sweet summer child. Just wait until all the bullshit bosses after the wall of flesh.

Hardmode is coming.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

kazil posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. Just wait until all the bullshit bosses after the wall of flesh.

Hardmode is coming.

I have never beat any of the bosses in Hardmode, and I've played almost 250 hours of Terraria. gently caress those assholes.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

ElectricSheep posted:

Headshots were pretty much the way to roll in Fallout 1 and 2, except for when you fought bare-handed or in boxing matches and it was preferable to aim for the eyes until you blinded them and then you dickpunched them to death.

Whoa whoa whoa. If you weren't shooting for the dick every time with every gun ALWAYS you were probs playing that game wrong.

I'd never be able to find the quote but someone on these forums once said something like
"There's nothing like hitting an orphan in the groin with a super sledge so hard that he explodes."

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Being unable to skip radio songs in Sleeping Dogs, especially since the radio setlist is buggy and sometimes keeps playing the same three songs over and over again. I'm tired of Parlour Mob, play the Machine Head songs already! :argh:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Just listen to a different station for a while, they're all great

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Really you should be listening to Yellow Fever anyway.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The problem is that each station will get stuck on their same 3 songs, no matter how long I listen to them. It gets pretty tedious!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lord Lambeth posted:

Really you should be listening to Yellow Fever anyway.
You're a habitual flirt...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

biosterous posted:

Being unable to skip radio songs in Sleeping Dogs, especially since the radio setlist is buggy and sometimes keeps playing the same three songs over and over again. I'm tired of Parlour Mob, play the Machine Head songs already! :argh:

This might just be anecdotal coincidence, but I've found that if you switch stations and then go back to the station you're on, it'll switch songs. You really should just be listening to Yellow Fever as much as you can though.