Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Honestly by this point I believe that if Bethesda had made New Vegas instead of 3 people would bitch about it for violating the series' continuity so Bethesda could revive a faction canonically dead to spawn a loving Elder Scrolls Imperial knockoff with Caesar's Legion. Plus you can go to Las Vegas in Fallout 1 and it's a bombed out ruin, certainly not spared from the nukes by not-Tony Stark, Bethesda, quit loving up. They even hosed up Interplay's story by having the Brotherhood go to war with the NCR for some reason so they could turn the BoS into another Vault grr grr robble robble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cliff posted:

Plus it's so boring. You're going up against armies of regular people instead of vampires, mages, werewolf hunters, dragons, automatons, or other cool factions.
That's mostly why I never finished the civil war plot either. There's so much else to do, and almost all of it is more interesting as well.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Byzantine posted:

Honestly by this point I believe that if Bethesda had made New Vegas instead of 3 people would bitch about it for violating the series' continuity so Bethesda could revive a faction canonically dead to spawn a loving Elder Scrolls Imperial knockoff with Caesar's Legion. Plus you can go to Las Vegas in Fallout 1 and it's a bombed out ruin, certainly not spared from the nukes by not-Tony Stark, Bethesda, quit loving up. They even hosed up Interplay's story by having the Brotherhood go to war with the NCR for some reason so they could turn the BoS into another Vault grr grr robble robble

What the absolute gently caress are you even on about

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

That sure was a post you made

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Byzantine posted:

Do you think 3 doesn't deserve the criticism it gets, or NV deserves criticism it doesn't get? What's the thesis here?

Rockman Reserve posted:

it’s funny that fo4 has so many problems with the plot and base building aspects that nobody ever even comments on how abysmal the leveling/perk system was

as I recall it was barely worse than the system in 3, and nowhere near as bad as the abomination that is Starfield's leveling system.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Do you think 3 doesn't deserve the criticism it gets, or NV deserves criticism it doesn't get? What's the thesis here?

They're tired of "Bethesda bad" kneejerk and postulate what a critical analysis of FNV/Obsidian's changes to the mythos would look like through that lens, I guess.

All I'll say is that NV was chock full of Cowboy guns while FO4 wasted a lot of their budget and time on moddable modular pipe guns that looked like rear end therefore NV is automatically superior.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It’s not really kneejerk when there’s multiple games to look back on and critique the bland writing, bad plot that occasionally borders on nonsensical, and staunch inability to move past the increasingly tired rubble and skeletons aesthetic of what should be a world rebuilding at this point but go off I guess.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
There are definitely parts of New Vegas I wasn't high on, mostly the bits centred around Ulysses and the Legion, and it's comically easy to break with various bugs and glitches (at least on console where you can't really fix it), but in terms of characterisation and storytelling I much preferred to 3, and this is coming from someone who has never played the pre-Bethesda games. 3 was, in hindsight, mostly bland with a few highlights in the vaults and the occasional set piece like the hosed up 1950s simulation. Also, I liked the metro and how it was mostly all connected because I'm a train nerd, and they actually did a good job at capturing Washington's distinctive station interiors, but I belong to a very specific class of stupid dorks.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I mean FNV is a good rear end game and it does have some quests relating to infrastructure and poo poo, but it does also have rubble and skeletons

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I mean FNV is a good rear end game and it does have some quests relating to infrastructure and poo poo, but it does also have rubble and skeletons

My skeletonchic complaint extends to it too, yeah. It was also made in a ridiculously short timeframe so asset reuse was kind of vital but it’s just something I really dislike in all the modern Fallout games, Bethesda or otherwise.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Fallout 1 and 2 present a world that's just absolutely completely bombed away. Like a Road Warrior or A Boy and His Dog situation; just flat radioactive desert with pockets of civilization.

But while Bethesda's Fallouts go a different direction, it's hard to fault them because Fallout's artwork for like, loading screens and backgrounds for things and concept art actually look a lot like where Bethesda took it.

I prefer what the gameplay of Fallout 1 and 2 made the world look like, but it seems clear that the developers wanted a more detailed, junk-filled ruin of a world than maybe games could handle at the time.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The FO4 rubblecore stuff is I think most egregious because of the settlement-builder. You start off building things out of repurposed sheet metal, but eventually you can make structures out of concrete and even futuristic, totally new-looking structures and furniture with the vault tech. That makes it all the more jarring that, like, you can't make any of the houses in the starting town new-looking, you can just clear some of them away, and nobody else in the entire world seems to have discovered any technology that isn't fundamentally salvage. It's at least understandable if they say "the knowledge to make new structures and technology was lost," but it clearly ISN'T lost, because YOU can do it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I've always just assumed it's a world of completely nihilistic assholes with no interest in rebuilding

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Instead of having the protagonist be a prewar soldier/lawyer, they should've been an architect. Bam, thats why they can build settlements and how they know how to build things that has been lost to time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leal posted:

Instead of having the protagonist be a prewar soldier/lawyer, they should've been an architect. Bam, thats why they can build settlements and how they know how to build things that has been lost to time.

You know, in retrospect it's weird they didn't go with that. They can still be a drafted soldier or whatever too

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Wasn't the New Vegas strip rebuild decentlyish? I don't remember there being much rubble and skeletons there. It kinda made sense to me for the surrounding area not having rebuild given the constant threat of raiders and mutated wildlife and stuff, but places like the starting town seemed fairly realistic given the constant struggle for survival in a desert area with raiders and mutants and poo poo. Lacking because yeah that abandoned house two down still had stuff to scavenge and the remains of people just lying there, but okay enough for it to make sense somewhat?

Now a big city like Washington or Boston with an established population still having rubble and skeletons, and everything being scrapped together even after 200 years, yeah that doesn't make sense.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taeke posted:

Now a big city like Washington or Boston with an established population still having rubble and skeletons, and everything being scrapped together even after 200 years, yeah that doesn't make sense.

Washington is full of ghouls and super mutants. The only human faction that has managed to establish themselves there is the Brotherhood of Steel.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ah, right. It's been forever since I played FO3 and I don't remember much. Point still stands for for a place like Boston where there's a small town established in a baseball stadium (which is cool, preexisting, defendable structure and all that) where everything is still made of scrap even after two hundred years. That makes sense for the first couple of years but once you get a foothold and it's become a long term place to live you think people would get sick of that place to live being drafty all the time lol. It's not like they're lacking for building material.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Arrath posted:

They're tired of "Bethesda bad" kneejerk and postulate what a critical analysis of FNV/Obsidian's changes to the mythos would look like through that lens, I guess.

All I'll say is that NV was chock full of Cowboy guns while FO4 wasted a lot of their budget and time on moddable modular pipe guns that looked like rear end therefore NV is automatically superior.

the best fo4 mod is a combo of the one mod that adds the super modular small caliber survival arms akin to poo poo like the sten, and then the companion mod that replaces all pipe weapons with the previous mod of sten-esque stuff.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
they should have gone the Dragon Quest Builders route where "basic creativity" and "the ability to combine two objects" are treated like bizarre superpowers. No NPC can cook a food unless they watch you cook it first. They've never heard of a "blueprint".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You walk way too slowly for the size of the game world in Dragon's Dogma 2. If that weren't frustrating alone, your stamina still isn't infinite outside combat so you have to manage your sprint.

It takes a long time to get anywhere. I would argue that the first hub is in a crappy place on the world map. It's the town at the bottom.

You're intended to set out from it every time to begin your adventure, but there aren't many exits, so your path will become rote quickly.

Morpheus posted:

Edit: In Dragon's Dogma 2, I decided to explore, and found a mine. Neat, went through the mine and cleared it of goblins. Went back to town. Got a quest to go to the mine. Fine, make my way all the way back to the mine, do the quest, come back. Find a guy in town who tells me to meet him...near the mine. Goddamnit.

This got me too, some place called Trevo Mine early on. The lack of innovation over the first one in any way is a little depressing.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:45 on Mar 28, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CJacobs posted:

This got me too, some place called Trevo Mine early on. The lack of innovation over the first one in any way is a little depressing.

There is a reason the title screen just says "Dragon's Dogma" instead of adding a "II" :smug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CJacobs posted:

You walk way too slowly for the size of the game world in Dragon's Dogma 2. If that weren't frustrating alone, your stamina still isn't infinite outside combat so you have to manage your sprint.

Didn't I read that someone from the dev team said he felt fast travel ruined games, or something, because you have to see all the work they put into the world?

Then the publisher was like,
"Lol, yeah yeah, that's totally the reason there's no fast travel...here, but these fast travel pack DLC micro-transactions."

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I think fast travel can be good or bad. If the world is boring, you need it.

But in a game like Red Dead 2, I never fast travel, because the world is just so gorgeous and there's so many little things to discover, or little events that happen, that if you fast travel everywhere, you do quite literally miss out on a huge amount of the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Didn't I read that someone from the dev team said he felt fast travel ruined games, or something, because you have to see all the work they put into the world?

"Lol, yeah yeah, that's totally the reason there's no fast travel...here, but these fast travel pack DLC micro-transactions."

No. The DLC is literally just a way to buy the stuff from the $10 extra edition.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Morrowind is the only game to do fast travel correctly that I'm aware of: multiple semi-interlocking modes of transportation, each with diegetic settings-appropriate reasons for existing, requiring game knowledge and experience to effectively use.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I dunno, "press butan, go to place" works fine for me, and lots of games do that

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

You can have the most beautiful hand crafted world ever but if I have to traverse it 5000 times I'd like fast travel please

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The funniest execution of fast travel is in the GTA games. Like, sure, you can call a cab in GTA5, and I think you could take the subway in GTA4, but like, the whole point of that game is traveling, what are you even doing.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
Sometimes you just want to get to the next set piece

The thing dragging games down for me is being mid 30s and not having as much time to just gently caress around as I used to

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Muscle Tracer posted:

The funniest execution of fast travel is in the GTA games. Like, sure, you can call a cab in GTA5, and I think you could take the subway in GTA4, but like, the whole point of that game is traveling, what are you even doing.

I'm glad they included the subway in IV though - it was a fairly decent (if obviously also very slimmed down) rendition that they put more detail into than they probably needed to. The tram-metro in V was awful though, and I don't even think you could skip between stations so it was even worthless as a fast travel option. Some have tried to imply that this is representative of LA's terrible public transport system.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

kazil posted:

You can have the most beautiful hand crafted world ever but if I have to traverse it 5000 times I'd like fast travel please

Yeah, I'm someone who actively resists using fast travel on a first trip or when I'm naturally exploring, but if you're going to inevitably have quests that task me with running back and forth from point A to point B, then just let me warp.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arrath posted:

Yeah, basically. There's a lot of dumb stuff in Bethesda's Fallouts, sure, but "Bethesda bad" has hit the point where people will outright lie about things that happen in Bethout, and then other people who readily admit they didn't play/don't remember the games will nod along then go off and repeat it because obviously it's true, Bethesda Bad. Even when stuff is explicitly spelled out, it gets ignored, or doesn't matter, or Obsidian's version takes precedence even though the NCR-Brotherhood War is just as much of sequel invention as Scouring the Pitt, or or, etc.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, that excuse definitely smells like bullshit.
"We don't like fast travel because we want you to see the scenery!"
"Ok, but fast travel is expressly for going to places you've already been. Therefore, you've seen the scenery at some point."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the only reason a game shouldn’t have fast travel is if the world is dynamic enough to mean you’ll see new things even walking the same route

games don’t really do this

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think the microtransaction is a single placeable fast travel point so you can place it where you want to go a lot but it doesn't let you circumvent going to a place initially, I think you can find them rarely in the world as well, the actual fast travel currency items are reasonably common sidequest rewards/treasures that you find and you can buy them in game with 10000 gold (I've played for 10 or so hours and have 100000 gold and have found 5 of the items so I can fast travel a fair bit if I want, there's not much else to spend money on really, which is its own problem).

I did tend to prefer not to fast travel in most games, very much a "I like the journey" type of player but Dragons Dogma 2 kinda doesn't have enough enemy/biome variety to justify that, the entire area I've been exploring has been green mountainous/forest regions with lots of goblins, wolves and harpies with the occasional bigger enemy and I know there's a canyon/mesa type area as well, they didn't show much else pre-release and people are saying that's mostly it unfortunately.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Fast travel ruined Daggerfall.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, basically. There's a lot of dumb stuff in Bethesda's Fallouts, sure, but "Bethesda bad" has hit the point where people will outright lie about things that happen in Bethout, and then other people who readily admit they didn't play/don't remember the games will nod along then go off and repeat it because obviously it's true, Bethesda Bad. Even when stuff is explicitly spelled out, it gets ignored, or doesn't matter, or Obsidian's version takes precedence even though the NCR-Brotherhood War is just as much of sequel invention as Scouring the Pitt, or or, etc.

Case in point not that long ago someone was getting mad in the TES thread about how Bethesda stomped all over the sacrosanct lore of Morrowind with some minor Skyrim sidequest only for it to turn out they were completely wrong and just looking for something to get mad about.

Or a classic one that I think has cropped up on this thread a few times, people claiming Bethesda tried to make the Brotherhood the good guys in Fallout 4. Of course, the Fallout thread also gets into monthly arguments about how according to Fallout 1 the Brotherhood works like this, but then Bethesda screwed everything up by having them act like that, but then NV says :words:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My problem with Bethesda is how half-hearted they are with their own ideas. The Institute is like the Underpant Gnomes. We never learn their goal or anything.

Step 1. They meddle with the wasteland and conduct weird science experiments.
Step 3. Profit.
Step 2 is forthcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Muscle Tracer posted:

Like, sure, you can call a cab in GTA5, and I think you could take the subway in GTA4, but like, the whole point of that game is traveling, what are you even doing.

Roleplaying, dawg.