Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

BioEnchanted posted:

The Lawnmower Man on NES/Gameboy. Yes, I did beat that game although it was via emulator.

Virtual Virtual Reality on Virtual Hardware huh? Nice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Squidster posted:

Cyberspace was easily the worst part of the original System Shock as well, but they'd have been better served by cutting it entirely in the remake.

I feel like it's the most glaring victim of the game's wonky development. It's really telling that it's is the absolute bare minimum viable product take on the original's cyberspace. Literally everyone assumes that when every cyberspace item is marked as V.1 there will inevitably be upgrades to find for them. Nope! There were in the original, though.

But remake or not I guess there's still the fundamental flaw that it's not even really a "mini" game, it's a whole rear end awkward side game that runs on its own separate rules. Plenty of people already hate overly involved hacking minigames (Bioshock 1, Deus Ex HR) and this thing demands way more of you. And unlike the minigames there's no way to skip it, just ways to make it go slightly faster.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

The Lawnmower Man on NES/Gameboy. Yes, I did beat that game although it was via emulator.

You say "although" when I feel that makes your experience actually closer to the spirit of the film.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The final boss is surprisingly close to the movie's ending as you actually see the varying gates sealing around him during the fight which is a cool touch.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

William Shatner’s TekWar

... I'm pretty sure making someone play through the Cyberspace portion of TekWar constitutes a human rights violation. Actually, I'm pretty sure making someone play TekWar at all constitutes a human rights violation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

... I'm pretty sure making someone play through the Cyberspace portion of TekWar constitutes a human rights violation. Actually, I'm pretty sure making someone play TekWar at all constitutes a human rights violation.

Tek doesn’t care about human rights! Now get out there on the streets and stop it!

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Rez has a cool representation of cyberspace but its also a 20 or so year old rail shooter so not sure if that fits the qualifications in the original post.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a good recommendation for a co-op town builder game? The closest thing I know of would be Factorio, but I am hoping for more of a town than factory feel-- like Cities Skylines or Timberborn, but multiplayer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have never been more disappointed in a headline

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Evilreaver posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a co-op town builder game? The closest thing I know of would be Factorio, but I am hoping for more of a town than factory feel-- like Cities Skylines or Timberborn, but multiplayer.

I was gonna say "wrong thread" but like no I wanna hear the answer. I too wish to build a town with my pal

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Not technically a city, but Prison Architect lets you play coop.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Debunk This! posted:

Rez has a cool representation of cyberspace but its also a 20 or so year old rail shooter so not sure if that fits the qualifications in the original post.

The PS4/PS5 version of Rez has a VR-exclusive new level that probably brings it up to date enough to count.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Evilreaver posted:

Maybe Anno? I've done both 2070 and 1800 coop with a friend, it's a lot of fun if you enjoy that style of gameplay.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Teardown is a lot of fun, but one thing that keeps kind of annoying me, is that after every mission there's a news flash covering your demolition, complete with pictures. But they're not pictures of my destruction; it's just a picture of a finished level. It looks nothing like my art.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Muscle Tracer posted:

Is there a game with a GOOD version of cyberspace? Something that's not just normal gameplay with a different skin on it, or a horribly underbaked minigame? The only example springing to mind for me is Shadowrun, which was a pretty meh interpretation for me.

Digimon World

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
80% of Dave the Diver is very good and fun, and the remaining 20% are these godawful boss fights

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Evilreaver posted:

OpenTTD has you connecting towns which scrateches that itch nicely. In my friend group we play survival games with building in it. You're building tile by tile so it's not exactly a city builder, but we do build up little towns.

Games like Conan Exiles, ARK Survival Evolved, Valheim, Space Engineers, Terraria, Core Keeper and others are all really good for building bases and eventually little towns.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Evilreaver posted:

I would second the Anno recommendation. Had a lot of fun with 1404. We just turned off the AI and built mega cities, but the combat would be fun coop too.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I can’t remember what ultimately made me drop System Shock but the cyberspace bits were definitely a big part of it. I don’t particularly care for Descent when it’s done well let alone when it’s… that.

Ultimately SS Remake just made me want to play SS2 again instead, Rickenbacker bullshit and all.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I dropped Cyberspace down to 1 on a normal playthrough and learned to brake (hold back analog stick when in tunnel) to get by. Still, I'd rank the remake above the sequel. I had to actively cheat just to finish that one.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

Is there a game with a GOOD version of cyberspace? Something that's not just normal gameplay with a different skin on it, or a horribly underbaked minigame? The only example springing to mind for me is Shadowrun, which was a pretty meh interpretation for me.

Does Tron 2.0 count? Obviously it's not a terribly realistic setting, but it does show an interesting world with it's own consistent internal logic and themes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

aardwolf posted:

Does Tron 2.0 count? Obviously it's not a terribly realistic setting, but it does show an interesting world with it's own consistent internal logic and themes.

I liked Tron 2.0 and the way it expanded on the computer world of the film. And then Disney did their damnedest to pretend the game never existed and gave us Legacy instead (and also cancelled Uprising after 1 season! :argh:)

Things dragging games down: the IP holder pretending a game never existed.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
Tron 2.0 was great.
The sniper gun was literally called LOL.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You got to use a Light Cycle control rod as a weapon! By snapping it in half and stabbing people with it! And it's a common use for it! Also I think it also becomes the LOL.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ultimate ADOM on switch is so broken it’s nearly unplayable, I got it for like two bucks of store credit and I overpaid

there’s tons of UI elements that should be clickable but the touchscreen isn’t enabled

but even if it was like half the features straight up don’t work correctly

it’s so bad I actually wonder how something like this came into existence

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Muscle Tracer posted:

Broken Reality

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Finished the System Shock Remake. I can't say I hated it, but man... The "improved" final boss fight is still a mess, mainly because it's technically ANOTHER genre shift where now you're running around on foot inside cyberspace picking up conveniently extant generic cyber guns to shoot at the same cyberspace enemies you've been dealing with all game but were clearly not designed for air to ground combat. There's also an awkward puzzle component where you need to bait Shodan's death rays into specific spots to power up doohickeys, but if you get got by a death ray...it's death! There's boost pads that are similar to the station's gravity lifts but these fully inherit your slippery and overly fast cyberpsace movement which means it's very possible to fling yourself to your death.

You get infinite retries from checkpoints on Easy, 1.5 lives on Normal, and just the 1 on Hard. Did I mention there's a lengthy, unskippable intro where you ride a platform and listen to some dialogue? And you can't quick save at all? You just get an auto-save at the start. :shepface:

Technically it all leads up to a target practice QTE that I think is a callback to the final encounter in the original, but nothing leading up to it is set up at all or particularly intuitive. It is probably the most Tron-like, cyberpunky looking bullshit in the entire game, though.

Otherwise, everything after the false climax starts to sag a bit because your arsenal tops out, enemies top out, and the level design is, at best, less interesting and at worst actively obnoxious. Security is paced super weird and has a weird layout. The Bridge is full of mediocre-to-bad setpieces and boss fights. It reminds me an awful lot of the problems Bioshock 1 had (and I think SS2 to an extent, but I'm less familiar with its endgame).

Also I'm irrationally annoyed that they removed the TetraCorp bit from the ending.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:03 on May 1, 2024

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

YggiDee posted:

80% of Dave the Diver is very good and fun, and the remaining 20% are these godawful boss fights

For me it was the Fish People stuff, completely spoiled the gameplay loop for me and they suck.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

I liked Tron 2.0 and the way it expanded on the computer world of the film. And then Disney did their damnedest to pretend the game never existed and gave us Legacy instead (and also cancelled Uprising after 1 season! :argh:)

Things dragging games down: the IP holder pretending a game never existed.

Legacy was worth it just for the OST

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also it feels like the immersive sim genre has officially eaten its own tail. Despite my personal misgivings with Prey, it was very much a thesis on everything that came before. Meanwhile System Shock is a throwback to the dawn of the genre that nonetheless takes ideas from Prey and is very slicked up and modern. I know System Shock 2 and Bioshock 1 are the more explicitly linked games, but the SS1 remake kept reminding me of Bioshock as well.

I dunno if I have a specific opinion on this (though I do often find myself feeling like many niche genres have gotten stagnant..) I just find it weird I guess.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Spoilers for the ending sequence of Forespoken: so it turns out that the Cuff that Frey has been wearing all along is essentially a magical, sentient superweapon created to destroy Athia. It disconnects from her arm, goes on a rampage of destruction, she ends up defeating it, and seals it once again on her arm (because I guess it can't be destroyed). Which is fine, except now there's a postgame where you run around getting collectibles and whatever, and the banter between them has barely changed. Considering Cuff killed a lot of people, and was very intent on killing her, it's strange that he'd still compliment the treasure she picks up, or remind her to heal. There are some differences, like when you pick up lore talking about a superweapon or sometimes she'll mention that he nearly killed everyone so he can shut the hell up, but it feels very much like a "ho ho, remember how you tried to murder everyone and destroy the land? What a wacky thing. Anyway, back to parkour." Just a jarring feeling. I understand they'd need to write and record a lot more dialogue, but still. Weird.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Also it feels like the immersive sim genre has officially eaten its own tail. Despite my personal misgivings with Prey, it was very much a thesis on everything that came before. Meanwhile System Shock is a throwback to the dawn of the genre that nonetheless takes ideas from Prey and is very slicked up and modern. I know System Shock 2 and Bioshock 1 are the more explicitly linked games, but the SS1 remake kept reminding me of Bioshock as well.

I dunno if I have a specific opinion on this (though I do often find myself feeling like many niche genres have gotten stagnant..) I just find it weird I guess.

My favourite thing about Prey is that the ending is basically a giant middle-finger to Bioshock, and other games that made a big deal about moral choices. Why did so-and-so do this? Is it because they wanted resources? Because they thought it more moral? Or did they just realise their actions have no consquences? No way of knowing, guess you'll have to take a leap of faith

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Started up Jagged Alliance 3 and this game could really use an out of combat turn based mode.

Getting people into good spots before combat is pretty janky and trying to do things like have two mercs melee assassinate two enemies around the same time is basically undoable.

I also messed up character creation and my main character has 6 AP, which is atrocious, so now I’m probably gonna have to restart the game since it might be too much ground for training to cover.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My favourite thing about Prey is that the ending is basically a giant middle-finger to Bioshock, and other games that made a big deal about moral choices. Why did so-and-so do this? Is it because they wanted resources? Because they thought it more moral? Or did they just realise their actions have no consquences? No way of knowing, guess you'll have to take a leap of faith

I liked getting the ending where you just say "gently caress it" and leave mid-game on the escape shuttle (probably not mid-game, but still a good chunk of game left).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

jjack229 posted:

I liked getting the ending where you just say "gently caress it" and leave mid-game on the escape shuttle (probably not mid-game, but still a good chunk of game left).

it was literally the first thing I did as I explored the larger ship lol

kinda put everything in context nicely despite being a spoiler

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Nier Automata: I keep talking to Simpy McTwink when I'm trying to pick poo poo off the ground. If I wanted to adjust your 'combat style' I'd do it in the menu bucko.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Nier Automata: I keep talking to Simpy McTwink when I'm trying to pick poo poo off the ground. If I wanted to adjust your 'combat style' I'd do it in the menu bucko.

9s is two letters

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Syphon Filter is unbearably hard, like wow. Instant failure stealth missions, instant kill explosives, missions that get harder if you're spotted, missions with time limits, boss fights that drop in regular enemies at the same time...

I am so glad they made a second one because this is ambitious as all hell but in practice it stinks out loud

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

it was literally the first thing I did as I explored the larger ship lol

kinda put everything in context nicely despite being a spoiler

there's also an extremely well hidden log in psychometrics that gives the whole thing away, from what i remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Assassin's Creed 3: The boat level is back, and now there's two boats!