Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Morpheus posted:

Pretty much any jRPG is terrible at quest organization. I have no idea why they think quest markers, or good quest descriptions, or anything like that are so taboo. Look, when I see my quest log and it says "Speak to Tabitha", it'd be really loving helpful if I knew anything about her, when she shows up, where she shows up, and goddamnit.

The limited time aspect of LR doesn't help matters.

I've been running through Lightning Returns the last couple days and this is driving me crazy. I don't know how they expect you to manage time when there's no way of knowing when people will appear or not. I don't like wasting 6 hours taking the train all the way to one area, only to discover the character isn't there, but I have nothing else to do so I just go back.

I've been trying to complete the Adoring Adornments quest for forever now, and every time I go to Yusnaan the girl isn't there. I suppose I could look it up in a guide online, but I don't want to end up at EVE-levels of crazy where I have a spreadsheet with all the available quest times to manage the best route through the areas.

This game is incredibly frustrating for completionists, I think. I only managed to get into it when I realized I was ok with not completing all the quests, and just doing my thing as they come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Morpheus posted:

The one thing the game has going in this department is that you can NG+ if you run out of time. That's the only thing keeping me sane, knowing that if I gently caress it up I can do that, because yeah I'd go crazy.

Plus, you can fail quests if you don't do them in time, sooo yeah.

Huh, I didn't know about the NG+ thing. Good to know.

Luckily there doesn't seem to be many failable quests from what I've seen.

Also, the key is to abuse the hell out of Chronostasis. If you're in the right area, you can essentially stop time from moving while netting positive EP.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Toss me into the camp of people who liked Fallout 3 but didn't like New Vegas.

One reason I liked FO3 much more than NV is that the Mojave was pretty much not at all post-apocalyptic. I used to live in New Mexico and I very often felt like it was no different from driving around the real desert, except you couldn't really talk to anyone or go into any buildings. I had no desire to explore anything when it was basically just a shittier version of a real place.

Another reason I wasn't a big fan of New Vegas is that I just didn't give a poo poo about anyone. As flawed as FO3's story was, at least I was The Hero who was supposed to go on this big adventure to save the world or whatever. The main revenge quest in NV didn't do much for me, because I knew nothing about this guy I was supposed to be chasing, who no longer had any impact on anything, so it felt like there was no point. In addition, I really didn't care about the factions either. People seem to (sometimes) praise the moral ambiguity of who takes over the city, but that's also what drove me to not care. If there was a clear good and bad, then I would actually care to make sure the good beat the bad. Caesar's legion was a little better about that. I never beat the game, but before giving up, I was focusing on loving them up, since they seemed worthy of that.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

While I'm having a great time with Bloodborne, there is one thing that's bringing it down a little. Maybe I'm just not far enough in to have found a more interesting area, but I'm a little sick of all the environments being all dark. Is the world stuck in perpetual dusk or something?

Dark Souls certainly had its dark areas (looking at you tomb of the giants and blighttown), but I enjoyed how it was offset with some of the brighter areas like Anor Londo. I find the world more interesting/believable if you have these dark areas full of horrific enemies that you fight your way through when they're connected by places like valley of the drakes, that have no sense of "oppression" about them. I wish Bloodborne had more of that variety. Having to return to Hunter's dream doesn't help in making the game feel more like a world than a bunch of levels.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Also either I've been very unlucky or the matchmaking is atrocious, myself as an only-just-semi-pro was once with two rookies against two semis and a pro. That's the most extreme example but I've never been in an evenly matched game, it's always like 5/6-0/1.

Also either it's got iffy servers or very unforgiving latency detection because I lag like mad when I don't on other games.

Still love it to death :allears:

I've found that that issue goes away as you get higher rank. I almost never have uneven games since I hit pro.

I will second the gently caress out of people who hit the ball at all costs. Again, this mostly goes away at pro level or higher, but every once in a while I'll still get someone at pro or veteran level who seems to have no thoughts besides "MUST HIT BALL" and I am reminded of how unbelievably awful the early level games were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Wait, seriously? I've been in a few matches where I end up having to play a 2v3 or 3v2. Usually its someone ragequitting so maybe its only when the match has just started they get replaced by a bot?

It depends on if you're playing ranked or not. In ranked, no bots, no rejoining the match. It owns when you win while down a man.