Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

The endgame in Wildstar is too drat hard. I thought all that "hardcores only!" hype was just big talk, but no, it was actually true. I'd bet the majority of their potential player base doesn't consider that a good thing. I haven't played an MMO endgame since WOW TBC, but for reference the max level dungeons in Wildstar are tougher than most TBC heroics, and they gate the rest of the PVE endgame content that isn't just grinding dailies indefinitely.

Wildstar was made by them original WoW devs, most of the TBC team if I'm not mistaken as well, the entire marketing for it was the MMO for the "hardcore" crowd much to the chagrin of literally everything else, its a game for the people that use the term "welfare epics" without a hint of irony, they've actually made the attunement slightly easier but its still a huge slog.

Its also made MUCH harder by the fact that the population is so tiny so its rare to see anyone around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Taerkar posted:

It's almost like 'dumbing down' a game leads to a larger playerbase.

But those are casuals, they will ruin my game experience and make this purple sword I mindlessly grinded for worth less.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to add that WS has also been plagued by numerous bugs, everytime the devs "fix" something they break like 10 others, my favorite so far is guild leaders(just the leader) having their entire attunemment wiped, Carbine's answer to this lovely bug? "Roll and alt and do it again".

And holy poo poo that TBC chart, is that for real?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strategic Tea posted:

It doesn't seem that bad - if the veteran whatevers are the actual endgame itself. It's just a more structured approach than being able to do every raid from the get go, which escalating difficulty would usually make impossible anyway.

That said there's a ton of grindy looking poo poo thrown in there. And if that's just attunement, then :suicide:

Here's the thing though, doing attunment doesn't mean you're actually good at the game, just means you're good at doing pointless grindy poo poo, the only way to know if you'll be good at a raid is to actually do a raid.

I know that borders dangerously on sounding like an elitist jerk but its not my intent.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Playing Resident Evil Darkside Chrnoicles.

The shaky cam poo poo doesn't annoy me much but the seemingly unavoidable damage sure as poo poo does.

And do I really need to protect my partner as well? He has a lifebar and everything...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

...of SCIENCE! posted:

DoubleFine just took the money and ran again, this time abandoning their Early Access title Spacebase DF-9 without delivering on the features they promised, so hopefully gamers are going to wise up now that they're the ones getting cheated instead of publishers.

There's actually a post on the forums about how they weren't gonna abandon Spacebase and people need to stop being so paranoid, then 20 days later its done.

Chances are Broken age won't be supported either as part 1 sold very poorly, Massive Chalice is in a pre-alpha state and hasn't had any work done on it for awhile now. They did funding from Indie Cade for 2 other titles, should be interesting to see how that turns out, regardless I hope people stop supporting double fine because they keep loving up.

It also means in retrospect that the CEO of Activision was right in his comments about Schafer. :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Broken Age is fairly damning though as the whole press surrounding it was how they didn't need publishers and such, instead all DF has done is prove Kotick and Majesco right in firing the guy.

Thankfully other companies picked up the slack and delivered quality products on time and on budget, Divinity, Shovel Knight, FTL, the Rex Murphy game and I'm sure I'm missing a fair bunch.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Destiny has got to have the worst loot system in any game I have ever seen, it makes Diablo 3's early days pale in comparison.

The top loot mostly boils down to grabbing something called engrams, either blue or legendary purple, sometimes you'll see a green engram but that usually just gives you a straight up item, so one would think a blue or purple engram would ID into something of those respective colors and or rarity, but it doesn't.

For reasons I cannot comprehend a blue engram can ID into either a green, a blue or a legendary or a class item(random class to boot), purple engrams can ID into all of the above, as well as an exotic item, so in other words a legendary dips into 6 possible item pools, how does that makes any loving sense given how rare these things are.

But its not all bad, I did finally get a legendary chest piece, for a completely different class that I'm currently using. :iamafag:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Follower stats are capped so you could deck out your dudes in insanely strong stuff and it won't matter.

Giving the templar int stuff isn't actually that bad as it gives him some all-res, seeing as his primary role is tanking it works out quite well.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought Borderlands 2 had the worst one I've ever seen. The sheer volume of utter garbage and scarcity of usable items made me think of the whole loot aspect as more of a frustration than a goal. Diablo 3 1.0 had the same problem, but not to the same degree as BL2.

I always felt the different manufacturers thing hurt more than it helped.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
MOST of the DLC is terrible, not all, the one with the ghosts and stuff is pretty good and it serves like a continuation of the main story.

So I'm replaying Parasite Eve and goddammit I forgot how horrible the inventory system is.

It starts out tiny as hell and you can increase it via some points you get as you level up, you can also use the same points to raise your weapon's stats but its generally better to raise your inventory, now what really loving sucks about it is that the game LOVES to fill your inventory with useless garbage that does nothing and you can't get rid of it till the following day, the worst one about this is the japanese scientist dude, once you meet him he hands you a charm before any major dungeon, these charms do absolutely nothing and you cannot get rid of them till you finish the stage, so right off the bat you've lost valuable inventory space.

Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It also makes Wei look like a huge creeper when you get a quest to confront one of the girls you can date cause she's cheating on you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, lots of them. Have you considered seeing a therapist? Because ummm... :wtc:

Yea, that's just sick dude.

I just broke their kneecaps. :v:

Let's see the dancing girl dance on one leg. :smug:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

The Final Fantasy 8 Syndrome.

FF8 owns though and is way better than 7.

If it was 9, then you would have a point.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

FF 9 loving rules and has the most likable lead in the entire Playstation FF series. Sure the villains sorta suck but the entire game is gorgeous, the battle system is awesome and the story is pretty fun.

Zidane is barely a character and saying the villains suck is a loving understatement, the battle system is your bog standard ATB stuff with skills, its nothing special.

Not saying FF8 was any better of course.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kazil posted:

Put draw on each of your characters, use the healing spells that every boss conveniently has on them.

Or just learn the ability to turn items into spells and start doing 9999 damage from disc 1 and gently caress healing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts 1 in the final mix variation now that I have a PS3 and boy, this game did not age well.

The camera is complete and utter balls, it moves around to much and its way to drat close so eating hits from behind is to common, its very slow in starting up as well, the initial worlds are just boring and for some ungodly reason they altered the way you learn skills in Final Mix, so having picked the shield, I don't get guard till level 15, yet if I pick the sword I'd have it at 9.

And I don't get scan, a fairly crucial ability till level 21.

Synthesizing was also altered, instead of just fighting certain enemies for drops I have to pray a once very visit enemy shows up and then I have meet specific conditions to get him to drop his item, who the gently caress this was thought a good idea.

I was kind of excited to play this since I've wanted to try the final mix titles for while but this isn't very enjoyable. :smith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

Good lord Destiny needs some kind of level veto option. I've played probably ten rounds so far tonight and I swear it's all just been Rusted Lands and Twilight Gap, with a SINGLE ROUND of Shores of Memory or whatever thrown in for variety.

Destiny needs a lot of things. :v:

You could fill up a a whole page with all the annoying poo poo dragging it down.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be happy with basic community options.

I mean I joined the 360 goons and all I get is something that says old timey goons under my name, no way of communicating with them in-game, if I wanna do that I need to add all of them individually.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
SMNC was a very unique game that it brought in the worst pieces of poo poo of both shooters and MOBA's and combined to form one of the worst gaming communities I've ever dealt with. The atrocious matchmaking only exacerbated the issue.

I think my favorite was when one of the matchmaking fixes was something incredibly stupid based on level, region, time played, something like that which ended up creating 36 individual queues and you could rarely find games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Perestroika posted:

Man, I want to like the new Borderlands Pre-Sequel, but like with the prequels (or...sequels, or whatever?) the wonky balance has a habit of making things pretty drat annoying. If you haven't found a good gun for a while it starts taking annoyingly long to kill even standard enemies, and with the sheer quantity that's thrown at you, mopping them up can get really tedious. By the same token, the damage that the enemies deal to the player fluctuates a lot. Sometimes you can just stand out in the open and eat shots all day long with minimal risk, sometimes all your life and shields are blasted away in half a second with little indication as to what has just killed you.

I can't say I've noticed this problem in pre-sequel, the only time I've taken lots of damage is usually if a bad-rear end spawned and I didn't notice or a boss.

Also use Nisha for fast boss kills. :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Been playing Violent Storm a lot(one of the few and I think only non turtle Konami beat em up).

This dude is the final boss and is a total motherfucker, every other boss is patterned and has at least A.I or OTG loop, not this guy, his recovery animation is like 1 frame and his pattern is ridiculously random, there's just no rhyme or reason to what he'll hit you with, he'll do his ground smash, his ground explosion, one of his grabs, who the hell knows, the worst thing are his grabs because they take priority over yours, even if you're in position for one, if the A.I opts to do a grab its gonna override yours, the only predictable move is when he starts to spit which he does at half health, beyond that its just the luck of the draw if you can kill him deathless.

Fun game beyond this rear end in a top hat.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

Shut up about that already, will you.

Persona 4: Maybe it was just because it was my first time playing through it, but I found that SP*-restoring items were never in adequate supply. During the final-final boss fight, 2 of my 4 party members were completely out of SP when I finally beat it, and my player character had only about 50 left after using up all my items. (The fourth used an element that the boss absorbed, so none of his magic attacks actually did anything.) It didn't help that all of the late-game boss fights used a format where you fought a weaker boss before the final one who would still be strong enough to require party-healing skills to be used.

*SP is just what Persona calls Magic Points.

edit: also I got two social links to 9 before the plot pulled the rug out from under me and I couldn't increase them further, but that's what I get for going in blind and spending too many evenings working at the hospital because I needed the cash, I guess.

This is why Rise has the best Christmas gift, it gives 50% more SP, I think my protagonist had like 600 for the end boss.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just finished Demon Souls.

It honestly makes me appreciate Souls 1 and 2 a lot more despite the flaws in those games, Demons has a great atmosphere to it but way to much bullshit under the hood.

Tons of upgrade materials, seems to be a myriad of upgrade materials per world.
Terrible bosses, can't think of any memorable ones outside of false king.
Weight limit to how much I can carry.
Leveling up gets WAY out of control soul cost wise around level 50.
Weird clipping issues, kept slipping off terrain even if I was in the middle of it, must have stepped on a magic pixel.
Obnoxious enemies forcing me to just pelt with them arrows till they died or hosed off.
Valley of Defilement is horrible and I hated every minute of it.
Male/Female only armor
World Tendency(what is this garbage anyway)
Stun locking

Glad I played it to completion but I doubt I'll popping this one in again anytime soon.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna post far to many words about an MMO so feel free to skip past this post.

Recently Guild Wars 2 introduced its latest living story patch, a new zone and it continues the trend of making GBS threads on the ranger class.

See I'm that idiot that likes to play pet classes in MMO's, I enjoy going through the game with my menagerie of zoo animals, they even have amusing descriptions when you recruit some, like so:

For the most part the class has been plagued with problems, bad pet A.I, pets with low HP getting downed to fast, bad damage, they had good support abilities at least, a few these things have been rectified, pets where given far more health, ranger damage was increased along with some of their attacks being changed to be more effective, the problem mainly lies in what is supposed our class gimmick, the pet, despite the health change, AOE's still rip them to shreds, one of the world bosses drops poison pools that do like 1,600 a tic, pets go down almost instantly unless you keep it near you, problem is ranger's damage is capped to a point because the DPS is shared between you and the pet, so a ranger with a downed pet has gimped DPS, for a game that's basically a DPS race most of the time, this can be an issue.

This new story introduced a variety of new enemies that basically poo poo out AoE's and conditions like its going of style, believe me when I say you'll be spending 90% of fights with a downed pet and its just an annoying trend, the worst example of this was an optional boss introduced in a sort of coliseum style event, this boss rendered most class gimmicks useless, not just rangers, its like they test this poo poo with just the heavy classes, if at all.

And quite frankly the new zone is just boring, there's not much to see and all you do is simply wait at one of locations you need to defend for endlessly repeating events for yet another currency in a game already bloated with various kinds of currency, and once you finish a bunch of these events the map needs to kill 5 bosses around the map in 5 minutes, most fail because Anet expects 80+ random people to organize, this is on top of the fact that several of the bosses have gimmicks to damage them which aren't clear at all which is yet another design trend Anet has done lately, they don't wanna do raids but they have no problem introducing bosses or events that require mass organization.

Its a fun game, I have far to many hours in it but a lot of the design choices have just put me off.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

It feels like all this could be avoided by making pets invincible or share a pool of health with the player while making sure that they wouldn't take additional damage from AoEs

The AoE thing would probably work best for GW2, that's pretty much the biggest thing that consistently kills pets after the HP buff, well that and high burst damage.

They already shut off the pet buffs for PvP stuff so it wouldn't unbalance the game either.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rick_Hunter posted:

High burst damage if negligible if you give the hunter a way to avoid that damage such as recalling a pet or using evasion. What is it about PVP pet buffs that would make them so unbalanced in GW2?

I appreciate Blizzard's constant tweaking of WoW in that the majority of their balancing genuinely balances the game so that classes stay unique but that certain classes are not complete hard counters to each other. I just don't understand why other MMOs consistently fail in balancing their classes when there are dozens of examples of how you can make something like this work.

Mind you this isn't me saying 'WoW is the best, all other MMOs are poo poo'. I'm just going from my general knowledge of playing the game for 5 years.

They got 75% more HP in PvE stuff so a pet in PvP with that kind of HP would be mad tanky, especially when you trait for conditions to transfer to the pet instead so you could have a super tanky pet just taking condis off you and leaving the ranger to stay in the fight for a long time.

And yea, I always wondered why they didn't do that, maybe when the ranger dodges the pet does so as well or at least gains the invul frames the ranger does.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leal posted:

In Guild Wars 2 the ranger was really gimped with Anet justifying it as "Well you got a pet so we have to gimp you to make up for it!" Then Anet said that the pet commands are just a simple "attack" and "don't attack" cause they didn't want to make it too complicated. The pet will have exactly 1 ability you have control over, yeah cause I didn't want to command when my pet can use its ability to turn itself invincible, just let it decide to do it whenever.

Also the pets were fragile as gently caress. If they died you had to wait 60 seconds to get it back out. Provided you do have a second pet you can swap to at the push of a button, then you have to wait 20 seconds to swap them. Say pet 1 was about to die, so you swap it. THen pet 2 immediately dies, welp you still gotta wait your 20 seconds and swap out, and just hope pet 1 doesn't die in a full minute. Oh and pets often die if an aoe as much as looks at them. I don't know what Anet's reason for just giving pets an aoe reduction is but I'm sure its stupid and dumb.

EDIT: Its especially aggravating if you wanted to play World vs World cause every fight devolves into everyone just mashing their aoe skill over and over and your pet is a permanent non factor cause gently caress if you can keep it alive.

gently caress World vs World in general, its just giant zergs colliding into each other most of the time and just not fun at all. Even worse that its required for 100% world completion and you can't simply be close to the keep you need to get it as a point of interest, no you actually need to go inside of it, I spent 2 months with 98% world completion on one of the maps because my server didn't go blue for that loving long.

Then you need the borderlands which is effectively the same goddamn map, 3 loving times, I honestly just gave up and gave away my legendary precursor, WvW effectively killed my drive to keep playing the game as much as I used to.

And yea the AoE spam is insane, one time I missed on someone and landed on what looked like one red circle, I went from full health to dead in the blink of an eye, same poo poo one time we took a keep, once we knocked a wall down, the entire floor, the floor and all the way up the stairs was just red circle after red circle, good luck getting through if you don't have an invulnerability button.

Alteisen has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Nov 10, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think I prefer the original Binding of Issac, new is one full or far to many cheap gotcha hits or taking damage literally as you enter the room, I could generally beat the original with even trash but not here, lots of items mix very poorly with others as well.

I also apparently need to crank up my brightness to max or some poo poo because I literally cannot see certain enemies on dark floors till I eat a hit.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
AC:Unity has a micro transaction that costs $99 dollars.

AC:Unity is amazing really, it should be game design curriculum from this point forward as to how you not make a game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Like 90% of games with purchasable currency include the $99 option.

Aren't those usually F2P though?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The sailor moon arcade beat em up is one of the most bizarrely difficult games I've ever played, mobs are dense as hell, your standard combo does almost no damage, bosses can stunlock you into infinity and the timer is the least forgiving thing I've ever seen.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For a company that created 2 entire universes with a wealth of lore, Destiny sure lacks in the creativity department when it comes to the bosses, its just really big versions of already existing enemies.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Context sensitive dodging was especially bad in RE:Revelations because the instructions for it where incorrect, it gave the impression that you needed to press a button, in reality all you had to do was just hold forward toward your enemy as he was attacking to dodge, once I figured this out dodging became infinitely easier.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TOILETLORD posted:

your making GBS threads me that's what i did wrong for 3 play throughs?

I guess? :v:

But yea, just hold forward and you'll dodge right through it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's a mod on reddit that lets you use the old tracks.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can't get over how horrifically overpowered Ryu Hayabusa is in Warriors Orochi 3.

You don't even need to do anything special to get him, he's a story character, you get him relatively early on to and you need nobody else for the entire game, keep in mind that Orochi 3 lets you field 3 units and this one guy can destroy an entire map without breaking a sweat, even without levels or significant upgrades he can still demolish enemy generals like it was nothing.

Its one of those things where I think maybe I shouldn't use him to add some challenge but then again, he's not a cheat character so gently caress it. :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

The annoying thing about the 3d Zeldas is how long they all take to get going. It was especially bad with Skyward Sword. A more recent annoyance is how in Assassins Creed: Rogue makes you chose a language every time you start the game.

Skyward Sword loving sucks period, it being slow is the least of its problems.

You want slow, Twilight Princess takes that award with a near 3 hours intro session if you aren't speedrunning it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Haha, oh man, if you want awkward lesbian romances then DA:I has you covered. Why yes lets talk about how I shaved an animal into my pubic hair while you make crude innuendo a six year old would find hilarious. :shepface:

Sera's such a horrible character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOYJVmFUFg4#t=142

That is some quality poo poo right there.

:nws:For elf titties.

Alteisen has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The iron bull dialogue is legit funny, like all the romance stuff with him is seemingly played for laughs and it shows, they really should have done most of the relationships like that, just play it laughs.