Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lotish posted:

This is a pretty consistent complaint I keep hearing. It makes me wonder what the devs were thinking. Did none of them actually play their own game? Do they know something we don't?

The devs of that title do not have a good pedigree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

scarycave posted:

and why am I even doing this?

This is the true mystery. You have absolutely nothing to gain from it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

alcharagia posted:

It's Surprise Rhythm Game Part 2: This Time it's Eight loving Minutes Long and also the Camera is Waving Around Like a Drunkard so Sometimes You Can't Even See the Notes You're Supposed to be Hitting

To be more specific: it's another rhythm game, except this time the song is actually a song instead of Bell-Chime Hell, and it constantly shifts through different tempos. The boss is more like seven bosses in one, each with their own part of the song to sing. Instead of just hitting a button to counter their note, you need to time your button press to counter the timing of their notes. So, for example, if the boss sang "1 (rest) 2 (rest) 3," or "1-2-3 (rest) (rest) (rest) 4" you would need to follow with that timing. Screw it up at any point, and dead you are. And, as said, the camera is flipping out during this whole section (at times it's not even focused on the dragon you're controlling), to the point where you would literally be better off playing with your eyes closed.

But that's not even the best part. Towards the end of the battle the song gradually starts to slow down, while still maintaining the original beat counter - so a rest on the boss's end may turn into a rest-and-a-half by the time the note gets to you. And then, finally, the screen fades to black, and the two main characters start talking to each other - and then you die, because the boss sang one last note just as the fade happened and it doesn't strike until the third line of dialogue.

It's pretty great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

umalt posted:

I suppose you couldn't put wisecracking into the first five adjectives you'd use to describe original flavor Max Payne, however for dark and gritty Max Payne he doesn't even do the occasional one-liner. Plus with original Payne he'd usually be somewhat likable in that he was a man with a purpose and you wanted to see it to the end; versus gritty Payne who can't even go for five minutes without saying "I'm just a gun and I don't care who shoots me..." like he's trying to prove a point while meandering about as the plot expects us to give a drat about damsel in distress no. 95.

Only the original game's Max had much in the way of joie de vivre. Max Payne 2 basically had him on a suicide mission against all the loose ends from his previous rampage, to the point where the main villain all but says that Max is so dangerous precisely because he's got nothing to live for. MP2 is one of my favorite games partly because of the way it turns that usual one-man-army action-game-hero schtick inside-out, and also because of all the little subtextual games played along the way - how the television shows are all distorted reflections of Max's own life, how "Late Goodbye" keeps bleeding through in the characters' incidental dialogue, the less-than-subtle Paradise Lost references, etc, etc. Max himself was a dour bastard, but the world around him had turned into this demented metafictional funhouse that managed to be profound and blackly funny at the same time (remember dumping the fake crates on the Cleaners at Mona's place, only to open fire on them as soon as they expressed relief? Hilarious!).

Then Rockstar came along and dumped a great big bucket of their artless grit all over that. I was a little miffed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

I'm playing through classic PS2 platformer remasters on PS3 right now because I skipped that generation somehow. I really liked the first Jak & Daxter, played like an open-world Crash Bandicoot, great design. Now I am onto Jak 2. What the hell happened here? Why's everything grey? Why's the music so boring? What's with all this tone and serious (stupidly so) dialogue? Why is there a big city to navigate if there's nothing to do in it? Who came up with these stupid hoverboard things that move at snail speed and steer like an aircraft carrier? Guns are pretty cool and all but the cops spawn constantly. The game feels really rushed and dated. Sly trilogy is the opposite - the first one was weak, but the other two upped the ante.

Jak & Daxter got hit hard by the post-GTA "MAKE IT GRITTY" wave. It doesn't help that the third game feels like it had half its script chopped out in production.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

Wow, the next one is even worse you mean? Don't know if I should soldier on with 2 and finish the trilogy. Played the first Ratchet & Klank for only an hour or so but it was really good. And funny. Maybe I'll move onto that series.

Yes, do that. The only thing that changes from R&C 1 to the rest of the games is that Ratchet becomes less of a douche bag, and Insomniac repeatedly has this conversation: "We need to make the guns bigger. Bigger. I said bigger." *takes out megaphone* "BIGGER."

Supposedly it starts running out of steam around the fourth sequel, but the initial trilogy is golden.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I got Max Payne 3 for $5 a while back and finally gave it a spin. The first five to ten minutes was a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. The opening for the first stage was a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. Then I went through some bad, sluggish combat, and was greeted with a "Max is sad and drinking" montage. All of this laced with enough awful political commentary to choke a canvasser.

I always knew MP3 was a mess, but this just takes my breath away. It's like everything bad about Rockstar condensed, under the skin of one of my favorite game series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flectarn posted:

but all the max payne games are embarrassing trash?

Haha man you really have something against that series, don't you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Resident Evil 4: Maybe it's just because I read Dark Id's LP of it, but I can't help but notice that the architecture of Salazar's castle seems to be 95% hallways and foyers, with the actual functions of the building spread ridiculously thin, and it's kind of annoying. That and the cannon pointed at the castle's own gate. :psyduck:

It's also a loving castle with a fully functional geothermal reactor and giant robot midget on the outskirts of a rural Spanish town. The world of Resident Evil is a strange place.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DStecks posted:

Transistor is one of the most inventive games I've played in a very long time, but holy poo poo what a clusterfuck of a story.

People who have played Transistor, could you please answer for me any of these questions:
-What did the Camerada want?
-What were the Camerada trying to do?
-How/why did the Process go rogue? If it was because the Camerada took the Transistor out of its cradle, why did they do that?
-Why is the identity of the Transistor presented as a mystery when Red knows exactly who it is? And it's not even a reveal of any kind?
-What exactly did the Camerada need Red's voice for?
-Why did killing Red's lover cause the Camerada to lose control of the Transistor?

Hi hello my name is Oxxidation and I will be your Transistor Story Answer Person for the day.

To understand the Camerata, you need to understand Cloudbank. The city is basically Web 2.0 presented on an architectural scale, where absolutely everything, from the buildings to the culture to the weather, is subject to a Facebook-Like-ish popular vote where everyone gets a say. The Camerata were a small, tightly-knit group of the city's elite who were tired of the city's transient nature and wanted to find a way to create a "voice of the few" system where the most successful/famous/talented people of Cloudbank held the most power. The mastermind behind the Camerata was Grant Kendrell, who came up with the idea after being questioned/inspired by influential journalist/blogger Asher. But the heart of it was Royce Brackett, a famous architect and mathematician who, in a fugue-like state during his research, somehow discovered the coordinate system behind Cloudbank's layout and "calculated" his way to a place that shouldn't actually exist. That was the dead-black area where you meet Royce at the end of the game, the cradle of the Transistor.

The Transistor was basically the admin key for the entire city - not only did it have meticulously recorded information of every Cloudbank citizen, it could even assimilate their remnant biology into itself and turn it into various programs, or Functions, capable of manipulating the city itself. It also kept the Process in check, the "program" that did all the construction and alteration of the city. Royce was obsessed with architecture - the reason he joined the Camerata in the first place was because he was sick of all his carefully constructed buildings being voted out in favor of something new every few months - and so he brought the Process to "center stage," turning them from a benign background program to actual, manifest creatures which embodied the various jobs they performed through the city (Jerks demolish, Creeps alter, Snapshots record). But after extended study, the Process actually started to adapt to the people studying them - you had Youngladies, which resembled humans, Fetches, which were psychotically violent and seemingly served no other purpose beyond savaging people, and finally the Men, which basically were a human-replacement Process. The Men creeped out Royce so much he developed the Transistor's Limiters to keep the Process in check, but by then the wheels had already started to turn.

Royce sympathized with Grant's cause and threw in with him, lending the Transistor to Grant. By assembling the remnants of the most influential people in Cloudbank, they hoped to gain unfettered access to the city, creating it the way that they, the Camerata, wanted it to be. Sybil Reisz was basically their hitman for this job, using her social functions as a way to get close to the Camerata's targets and draw them in. Red was Sybil's latest target, but she started to develop an unhealthy, possibly romantic, obsession with Red after she didn't act all chummy with her (because Red does not give a poo poo about anyone besides Blue/Mr. Nobody). Sybil realized this, and hatched a plan of her own - she'd set up the Camerata to assimilate Red into the Transistor, telling them she'd be alone but knowing that Blue would be nearby. He'd take the bullet, Red would be alone, and then Sybil would either talk her over to their side or get to preen over her mind-fragment in the Transistor for as long as she liked.

That's where everything got horribly hosed up. Unbeknownst to everyone, Blue was one of the few, possibly the only, person in Cloudbank who never registered on their census databanks - he had no career Selections ("Still figuring things out"), remarking at one point that he'd been putting it off, unsure of what he wanted to be. That's why the Transistor had no idea what he was, and why Blue's assimilation ruined everything; it was like feeding an NAN value into an otherwise normal equation, and caused the entire Transistor to crash. Three things followed - Red, who only got grazed, lost her voice; Blue, who couldn't be "sorted" into the Transistor's categories, remained awake and aware inside the blade; and the Transistor itself freaked out and tried to "reboot," stripping admin access from the Camerata and attempting to warp itself, Red, and Blue back to the Cradle. It didn't make it all the way, and when Red grabbed the Transistor, it recognized her as the new admin. But only Grant and Royce knew how to use the Transistor to keep the Process in check, so they immediately went feral, and well, then everything was terrible forever.

Ok there are your answers hope you liked them byyeeee

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DStecks posted:

OK, that all makes sense, but is that all supposed to be deduced from the function inspects?

Transistor's got the Dark Souls thing going where the plot's all in fragments but everything, from flavor text to offhand lines to item descriptions, hooks up in some way. There's still room for interpretation in a lot of areas, but the general story takes shape pretty well, especially in regards to all the computer metaphors.

The Function data actually doesn't tell you a whole lot in comparison; the only really important ones are Red's, Blue's, and the Camerata Traces. The others are all just reiterations of the same story: "this person went to the Naughty Zone and the Camerata ganked they rear end." They tell you a lot more about the society/culture of Cloudbank than anything plot-relevant.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's in there, and some of it is explained better if you wander off the beaten path in some areas. The game's story is pretty vague and open to interpretation still. Such as me and Oxxidation having different statements on who the Camerata are.

For what it's worth your take on them doesn't really hold up, since Grant was the only "maintenance" guy of the four - the other three were a socialite, a blogger, and a nerd - and Royce explicitly says that he found the Transistor, not that he developed it. Definitely rejiggered it some, though.

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Jul 27, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Final Fantasy 7 was the greatest game ever when it was released and its the greatest game ever right now and I will fight anyone who says differently.

I will hold them down, you can punch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kazil posted:

Yeah, besides bad shooting, terrible inventory, copy and paste planets, the terrible buggy, convoluted plot and elevators, ME1 was perfect :rolleyes:

I don't understand why everyone thought ME1 had these rich space exploration side to it. Every planet was basically the same. At least ME2 had the decency to have good shooter mechanics.

They're mostly PC gamers, who confuse tedious drudgery with something that is not tedious drudgery. Just look at The Witcher, which is basically the patron saint of that type of thinking.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

I just finished Sleeping Dogs and I have to say that I'm sorta disappointed in the ending. Sort of. I actually really liked everything about the ending in terms of plot points - Pendrew getting comeuppance was great, taking down Big Smile Lee was great because that guy is a monster, the ridiculous escape-from-torture-tower thing was really satisfying - but it was just so incredibly rushed. The cinematic not-fight between you and Lee was fine, and I think a fitting end of that plotline because Lee's whole thing with Wei is that the two of them are constantly exhausting the others' patience and tempers, but then like three separate plot points were introduced and resolved in about five minutes when they could have each had at least another mission drawn out of each. I want Pendrew to try to prosecute me after everything I did while making it out alive! I want to see Jiang come into power and have a talk with Wei about who he is and where his allegiance is! I don't want all of this to sort of happen in a really poorly written "and everything turned out okay!!" ending because all of those things are good ways to end the story, but not without the proper kind of development that the rest of the game had been so great at.

The rest of the game is fantastic enough to make up for it, and I've heard the DLC is also worth picking up, but that was kind of a frustrating way of wrapping things up. At the very least I'm sure there'll be an even bigger for the next game around, which I'm eagerly looking forward to.

The ending and the script in general for Sleeping Dogs went completely to pieces due to a lack of time/funding in finishing the game. A lot of people here kind of brush that under the rug for whatever reason, but it's definitely a major weakness of the game.

The DLC is all terrible and answers nothing. Do not buy it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

This is a longstanding problem with various Warriors games, and it's always annoying.

This has always been more of a feature than a problem. Your responsibilities in Warriors games are divided between pursuing enemy officers and keeping your own braindead rank-and-file from drowning in grunts. Hyrule Warriors may actually have the most competent allies of any Musou game to date - one of them even captured an enemy base for me! That has never happened.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Daedo posted:

To be fair to Troy Baker, his Joker voice was awesome in Arkham: Origins.

Troy Baker's range is ridiculous and he's one of the few over-exposed VA's who isn't land-locked into a single role because of how well he can throw his voice around. As mentioned, dudes like Blum and North have a lot of variety too, but their main voice is so iconic that it tends to be the only one in demand.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

I've always liked how on these forums it seems like the only way to have fun with Skyrim is with mods.

"It's a great game, after you install 20 or so mods that change how everything works."

That's more the PC gamers justifying their $1500 fun machines like always.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
All I know is that in Skyrim I crafted two world-ending Obsidian Swords for my rogue character, one with a permanent fire enchantment and the other with an ice enchantment, so they always glowed red and blue. I named them Grace and Glory.

I was on a Bayonetta kick at the time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Shadow of Mordor is neat I guess but the berserkers drive me mad. I like them in principle - they auto-counter normal hits and greatly increase the difficulty of enemy groups - but the problem is that a) they're distinguished by wielding two weapons, which can be really bloody hard to notice in the murky darkness especially when you're drowning in supple multi-colored orc flesh, and b) the only way to hurt them is to stun them and unleash a flurry attack that you will never, ever get off in time if there's a single enemy in the same zip code as you. I'm usually reduced to running away and capping them with arrows whenever there's more than two or three in a group.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If you aren't combat branding them, you're doing it wrong.

Haven't unlocked brand yet, won't for some time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Luisfe posted:

Scott Cawthon works fast. Also, strike while the iron is hot. Didn't he take like 2 weeks to make the first one?

He also decided to release the game a month early because he didn't like his vendor's demo policies or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

So I got BoI: Rebirth thanks to PS+, and jesus gently caress did they just gut the difficulty or something?
I put 18 hours into the original and never beat mom, sat down with Rebirth and got to her on my first go, beat her on my second. Between that, those loving annoying hands that don't do anything more than annoy you by sending you back to the start of a floor, and the fact that the nice drawn art is now generic indie pixel poo poo, I'm not sure if I want to play any more of it.

The difficulty is the same as ever. Turn it up to Hard if you're not being challenged.

And I'm still laughing at people who are mourning the trashy Flash scribble art, like this: ha ha ha ha haaaa

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Haha, I'm sorry, what? Prince Of Persia was gamey as all hell and it had too. Like for instance how the sultans palace was over a hundred floors tall and the only way to open doors was by jumping across deadly chasms or by doing block-puzzles. Not to mention doors that are inoperable without the Prince's power of slowing down time or by having 2 individuals. You can't tell me that anyone lived day2day in this setpiece after setpiece of a palace.

To be fair, the palace's architecture was rearranged somewhat by the ridiculously complex and prevalent security system that the Prince stupidly triggered in the second or third chapter. Sultans don't half-rear end anything when it comes to home improvement.

The dungeon complaints in Zelda are nonsense, though, especially in Ocarina of Time. The pre-timeskip dungeons all doubled as actual places (giant living tree, mines, giant living fish) that you had to poke through to achieve some objective or another. The post-timeskip brought in the temples, which are always pre-civilization proving grounds that exist for no other reason than to gently caress you up, pal. The biggest mystery is how all the mechanisms are still in such good working order, especially the ones which involve lava.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

1stGear posted:

Also the invisible enemies are total loving horseshit and basically exist to make you waste ammo.

Not at all, there's a grand total of four of them in the whole game and they always encounter you in tight quarters with plenty of physics objects to knock around or water to splash about. Trap bolts if you know they're coming, shotgun if you can't.

Evil Within had a lot of irritating moments (especially the entire last quarter of the game, which basically turned into RE4's last act with less than half the ammo drops). The invisible dudes weren't one of them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Love how they keep nerfing the good items in Binding of Isaac Rebirth into uselessness while leaving the garbage items alone.

Also the lost is still a horrible lovely character that everyone hates, goes completely against what the game is about and everyone who finished the game with him did so via a glitch that rendered them invulnerable.

The hard mode is pretty weak to, it just starves you of keys and bombs and gives you horrible room lay-outs that in some occasions make it impossible to avoid damage unless you have flight.

At least the most recent patch gets rid of the key/bomb starvation in hard mode. Now only heart drops are limited.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And they couldn't think of any reason to motivate every other character in the game other than "the gubmint is bad", it's almost funny how almost everything in the game winds up being blamed on the government.

Marston and everyone he knows are the last remnants of an untamed outlaw culture being choked out and stamped flat by encroaching federal influence, of course the government are the villains. The fact that Marston and co. are all murderous ne'er-do-wells mitigates this somewhat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WickedHate posted:

During the fight, Raiden outright calls them gimmicky bullshit that shouldn't be used in real combat.

They have a high learning curve and ruin your combo score, but if you figure out how to exploit their crazy-long super armor and juggling capabilities they'll turn most enemies to mince. I mostly just used the sai, myself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Esroc posted:

Walking Dead always rubbed me the wrong way because apparently the writers believe that in the event of an apocalypse only mustache twirling, baby eating, psychotic assholes will survive.

This is basically the truth. Nice people get dead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

No not really - that's bullshit meant to cater to the nerds who think they'll become some kind of lone badass if disaster ever strikes.

This statement doesn't really follow that one. Nerds are meek passive wallflowers who doesn't come within a thousand miles of the kind of lunatic survivalists you see in post-apoc media. Aggressive assholes live, nice people die. Or it would be more accurate to say that nice people die sooner because ha ha, post-apocalypse mortality rates

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Moon Man posted:

My buddy got an Xbox one recently and I have been playing a lot of Diablo 3 console version with him.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's dragging the game down, but I really wish they had kept percentages for stat differentials instead of replacing them with little arrows. That's just dumb.

Also, elective mode and detailed descriptions should be on by default.

I'm Metal Gear Rising, are you seriously saying that you can get any and all body parts replaced with cyborg parts, but they can't give Raiden a new eye? Again, not an annoyance, just a nit-pick

Raiden's eyepatch is his new eye, it's covered with multifaceted optical inputs like a bug's eyeball. Raiden, dork that he is, was probably all over that poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

I picked up South Park: The Stick of Truth a few days ago when it was on sale and the thing dragging that game down for me is Al Gore.

Early on in the game, you can find him out in the world and he gives you a series of quests to investigate manbearpig. The first two quests aren't so bad and just involve running around the game world and using objects in specific places. But after you finish the second quest, he agrees to become your friend on Facebook and promptly starts spamming messages at you every 30 seconds or so. The game encourages you to go "de-friend Al Gore" but what it doesn't tell you is that he's the game's optional super hard boss.

You can easily become his Facebook friend in the first third of the game and be unable to defeat him until the end. Which means that every 30 seconds for more than half of the game, his face will pop up in the corner of the screen with "New Message from Al Gore" attached. You can delete the messages, but it's really loving annoying having to go into your menu every couple minutes and delete all the new messages from him.

Al Gore and his little entourage are vulnerable to Sleep, so Jimmy marches right through them. He's still a huge difficulty spike, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've kept going in Alien past when you get the flamethrower and while parts of it are way less frustrating than others, the flamethrower really does not do much to make it any better. You would think that after the alien gets repeatedly lit on fire for going after you that it would maybe care about something besides you in the entire universe and go after easier prey. But none of the alien's reactions imply "gently caress I'm on fire I should go find something else that does not make me be on fire." It just says "oh no the mean woman put me in timeout and I now must leave for the requisite 10 seconds but then immediately return because I know I am invincible."

There's nothing you can do to keep the thing from always staying within 30 meters of you at all times and magically knowing which room you're in, even if you leave no evidence at all that you've moved from one end of the area to the other. Then if you do have to use the flamethrower it will be back as if nothing had happened within the minute to waste more of your fuel. If the developers were trying to make this be the first time it feels like you can actually hurt the alien and show it's vulnerable or something, they pretty much created the opposite effect. I suspect the intention was more of a get out of jail free card when you're about to get ganked, but the alien's reactions to it just do not make sense.

If you abuse the flamethrower on the Alien it'll gradually start tanking more and more of your flame and disappear for less time after being driven off. It really is more of a "get the gently caress away" device than anything. The fact that you're always slowly creeping around and waiting in place instead of moving about the station just makes it easier for it to catch up. You need to drive it off and then get away from your current position or its tether will keep shortening until it's dropping right on top of you.

As for why it's always able to seek you out - it can smell you. There, boom, tidy in-universe explanation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Here's a thing: Metro 2033 Redux. It looks prettier and there's some nice balance changes, but it also cadges a lot of HUD mechanics from Last Light, some of which make the gameplay kind of a pain in the rear end compared to the original.

Mainly, melee is now mapped to a button instead of just having your knife be a separate equippable weapon. It effectively makes melee worthless in non-stealth situations (because enemies are so squirrelly that hitting anything but primary-fire in close quarters will just tie your fingers up in knots and get your face bitten off), and worse still, I think it locks out unique weapon melee too, which includes the Volt Driver/Hellbreath's amazing taser attack. For a game that really enjoys making you treasure every bullet, locking out one of the best, cheapest attacks because of a sloppy mechanics mish-mash is kind of galling.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Child of Light doesn't give its monsters names. Ubisoft, guys, your game is very pretty but it's like you've never played an RPG before.

And hooooly gently caress, those rhymes are awful. They're usually just cute in an inept sort of way, but there are certain points (especially with the Confessions, which are kind of like optional codex entries) where the language and syntax is so mangled it's almost impossible to parse sentences.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sardonik posted:

E: Oh also, they were way too inconsistent with how they pronounced Ajay Ghale.

Ajay makes me miss Jason Brody as a protagonist.

I didn't think that was possible. I'm not sure it's even legal.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DStecks posted:

Maybe she picked up that that's how he pronounces it, and uses that pronunciation a bit?

It's because Ubisoft didn't care that much about keeping things consistent. Don't give them credit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

You thinking of Illusion of Gaia, where your reward for collecting all of the red jewels (one of which requires you to do something morally reprehensible, and many of which are missable) is to get your rear end kicked by a bonus boss?

Mind you, that bonus boss is the same guy you've been giving the gems to all this time and the secret head of the slave ring you'd been encountering throughout the game.

Illusion of Gaia was weird sometimes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oldstench posted:

The narrator in Transistor annoys the poo poo out of me. Actually, just about everything in that game annoys me. I really don't like Transistor.

Well, then, buster, I don't like you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Transistor was one of the greatest games of last year and you are all going to Philistine Hell where the only movies are the Transformers trilogy and there's nothing to read but self-help books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Der Luftwaffle posted:

All this talk about Transistor vs Bastion is interesting because I tried the Bastion demo and thoroughly hated it. The mechanics, the style and the narrator most of all. Then I saw the trailer for Transistor, bought it and loved it. I could see their close similarities, but in the sense that everything I disliked about one felt like almost a polar opposite reflection in the other.

If nothing else it demonstrates that Supergiant's got plenty of flexibility within their niche (isometric action games with crazy-good aesthetics and oblique plots involving a society destroyed by the products of its own hubris and hedonism). Wonder what their next project will be like.