Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PJOmega posted:

I remember Viconia from Baldur's Gate 2 at least not being terrible, along with Annah from Planescape: Torment.

Jaheira (minus how quickly you start becoming a couple relative to her husband's death) and Viconia are definitely good because they're handled more subtly and spaced out over a hundred hours or so of gametime. Since storywise months supposedly pass in BG2 it kind of works.

Anna and Fall From Grace are both handled pretty well too. Especially since pursuing Grace keeps the whole thing as a deep non-sexual relationship (since, you know, giving into her carnal natures would betray her character entirely.)

Would Triss in Witcher 2 count? By the second game if you stay with her it's a pretty believable relationship (the first game's romances are really hamhanded, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Anatharon posted:

Really are any of the Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games any good at all?

I really like Rune Factory 4 since it feels they finally got the formula right.

There's less town building, but the adventuring side is rather fun for a simpler action rpg.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oldstench posted:

I've apparently had Deus Ex:HR for a long time from some Steam sale, but never played it. Started it this weekend and decided to be Mr. Ghost; stealthy and non-lethal. Oh, there are boss fights that require you to be a well-armed killing machine...

Just get the typhoon ability maxed. It will deal with most of the bosses easily.

They fixed this somewhat in the directors cut by having stuff you can hack into in the boss areas but it's still not perfect.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
All of the telltale console ports have performance issues. Wouldn't be surprised if they're running on emulation.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Heavy Lobster posted:

it's painfully apparent that literally anyone except Bethesda can work with their engine better than they can. :v:

Best example is Divinity 2: DKS.

That game looks amazing and plays really well to the point you can't really tell it's Gamebryo. Heck the NPC animations alone are miles better than anything Bethesda's done.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I agree completely about New Order. The gameplay is excellent but the plot definitely takes itself way too seriously.

The tonal dissonance between the cut scenes and gameplay is baffling.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's a series tradition at this point. Remember corporations in Beyond the Sword?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

No. Enlighten me please?

Corporations were a heavily shoehorned idea in Beyond the Sword (2nd expansion to Civ IV.) Essentially they were a reskinned religion that affected production rather than happiness.

They weren't a bad idea on their own (except for just being a reskin of a an existing mechanic) but the way they were actually implemented in the game was terrible. The manual barely explained them and, as the in game UI didn't give any corporation system feedbackl until you dug several levels in, they were pretty much a complete mystery to most players when introduced.

They were a really, really barebones implementation of an interesting idea (big multinational corporations that existed across borders and gave benefits to all members.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lord Lambeth posted:

In vanilla Skyrim the horses are incredibly slow.

Yeah, Skyrim horses are built to let you carry more stuff (you can fast travel no matter your encumbrance while on one) not for speed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ignimbrite posted:

Or even worse, when they still have the Xbox controller logos for the keys when you're using a mouse and keyboard. "To attack press the RB trigger".

Even worse: Binary Domain where it's these really hard to read icons when you're in keyboard mode.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

Seconding that the inventory management is terrible. I'd also like to be able to sort, y'know, alphabetically too. Sorting by item groups would be neat as well, instead of having to navigate tabs. And while it's not a drag per se, I wish there were more than two available companions. Larian does a pretty good job with off-beat characters, so I'd have liked to see more classes being represented with actual personalities, as opposed to having to hench rogues and earth/fire wizards and whatnot.

Two more companions are in development. They just weren't ready for the initial release.

Same with more personalities for your created charafters so you can somewhat opt out of arguing with yourself.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

That loving Sned posted:

Can you change your character or main pawn in Dragon's Dogma during the game? It sucks that you get such an in-depth creator, but are locked in to a single character and AI buddy for the whole thing. Saints Row lets you change everything at a plastic surgeon, so they could just have the magical equivalent.

Yes. If you go back to the camp you fought the first hydra at there's a guy there now who will sell you an item that let's you into the character editor from the main menu.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah the time is really excessive in GTA.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

Metis wasn't shoehorned?

Reread his post. He's talking about p4 golden with Marie who was a dumb addition to the plot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

Transistor is one of the most inventive games I've played in a very long time, but holy poo poo what a clusterfuck of a story.

People who have played Transistor, could you please answer for me any of these questions:
-What did the Camerada want?
-What were the Camerada trying to do?
-How/why did the Process go rogue? If it was because the Camerada took the Transistor out of its cradle, why did they do that?
-Why is the identity of the Transistor presented as a mystery when Red knows exactly who it is? And it's not even a reveal of any kind?
-What exactly did the Camerada need Red's voice for?
-Why did killing Red's lover cause the Camerada to lose control of the Transistor?

You missed a bit, but there is a lot open to interpretation. I'll break it down as much as I can remember.

The Camerata were maintenance workers who kept Cloudbuilt running and felt the city had gone stagnant. They knew how the systems of the city worked, so they built the Transistor. It's a device designed to collect the "data" of the most talented people in the city as well as an admin tool for Cloudbuilt itself. Their goal was to use it in a way to get the most talented people of every field to essentially run the city, creating a utopia (it's left unclear if it did have to actually KILL them to collect their data. Most of the people you encounter have died in other ways, usually by the Process.

The Process is the maintenance system of Cloudbuilt. When it goes crazy, it's essentially "factory reset" on the whole city and sees even the citizens as abnormalities to purge.

In Cloudbuilt, every citizen at one point goes through a process called Selection where they are assigned a job based on their talents. Red's lover has kept putting it off over and over again. The Camerata were after Red as one of the most influential artists in the city. Unfortunately their plan had two snags: Sybil, one of their members, had a stalker idol crush on Red and tried to warn her, and then Red's boyfriend blocked the assault, causing him to be Collected and her to only partially be (hence losing her voice.) It's kind of implied that due to him not already have a selected role, he defaulted to admin but has no idea what he's actually doing in the position. Basically, he wrested control of the Process from the Camerata but has no idea how to control it and somehow pushed it into the reset state.

There's really no reason for him to go unnamed, but the main mystery the game keeps about him is WHY he's different from the other people collected in the transistor.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

OK, that all makes sense, but is that all supposed to be deduced from the function inspects?

It's in there, and some of it is explained better if you wander off the beaten path in some areas. The game's story is pretty vague and open to interpretation still. Such as me and Oxxidation having different statements on who the Camerata are.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

I legitimately wonder what causes the variance in Wiimote/sensor quality. I've heard opinions ranging from "works perfectly 99% of the time" all the way to "literally doesn't work ever gently caress this garbage". I'm in the former category, personally.

I've heard a LOT of it depends on how you set up the sensor bar and calibrate it. If you get it set up right, it works excellently.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

spudsbuckley posted:

Yup.

Did a quick google out of curiosity and it is pretty widely disliked so i'm glad i'm not alone.

If it's any consolation I think there's only a couple like that (though still way too many of the dumb tailing missions.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Most fighting games figured that out last generation with mp modes having all characters unlocked from the start (some still locked custumes but that's not a big deal.)

Every open would game should also have something like DR2: Off the Record. A mode where the plot becomes entirely optional or non-existant. Not only would it be a nice way to unwind but it would force developers to think of their side content.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

scarycave posted:

I'm just gonna say that I think the GameCube controller is the best console controller - mainly because it doesn't support "Stick-click" controls. I really don't get why game developers think its a good idea to have the player run by having to hold in a control-stick and yet it seems to show up in a lot of fps'.

R1 or L1 are far better run buttons. I hate the stick click in any scenario you have to hold it down.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Doesn't Suikoden 2 have a sidequest that they didn't finish translating?

No but there are some untranslated conversations http://tcrf.net/Suikoden_II#Untranslated_Gibberish_Text

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

God, why do the rifts in Saint's Row 4 take loving forever to finish, and why is the TK one so lovely. Like, even with explosive knockback removed, it's still a buncha crap.

Put the game on casual. It does affect the difficulty of them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

The Daedra are evil, though. If you want their horrible artifacts you have to serve them in horrible ways.

Sanguinis and Azura don't seem that bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's why I loved the chaos system in dishonoured. Be a sneaky bugger and the enemy won't even know you've been there. Go on a murder spree and the next levels give you more enemies to deal with.

The gameplay is fun enough that it doesn't feel like it's punishing you either.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

There was never really a good indicator of how many were ok though. Also one of them is a choice between killing or sending a woman off to be a sex slave, the latter being the 'good' choice.

It's not supposed to be a binary good or bad choice thing. Most of the nonlethal options are pretty hellish in and of themselves.

Corvo, little characterization that he gets, is portrayed as a ruthless man out for revenge and most of the game does reflect that no matter what you do.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pengu! posted:

I recently bought a PS2 and am making my way through all the well-regarded games I missed. The most recent one I got is Ratchet and Clank. While there is nothing really wrong with how it plays, I just can't get over how much of an rear end in a top hat every character in the game except Clank is. I usually don't mind playing reprehensible characters, but Ratchet seems to be an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat, which I find really grating.

He improves a lot after the first one. Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal are excellent games.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I dunno if it was just me but the DR also felt like it was somehow a worse port with worse graphics than the original (on PC). This should not be the case.

Iirc for some dumb reason the pc version of the DC is a port of the Wii U one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'd recommend just skipping to 4. The story and characters are some of the best of the series and it explains its systems somewhat better.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

It was cool until I realized they just repeated the same batch of "words" over and over. I thought they were actually using a full language at first.
My linguistic immersion!

And then Jade Empire does the same thing with the spirits.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Bonnie the rabbit in Five Nights At Freddy's. I get that the fact that Bonnie and Chica move randomly adds to the challenge and the creepiness, but I wish they actually had to follow along paths instead of just teleporting across the building. Since Chica isn't as aggressive, it's not as much of a problem with her, but there's been multiple occasions when Bonnie has teleported from the far side of the building into the security office, and it's pretty frustrating.

The wolf annoys me far more. I just hate that wolf.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

I hear people say it's the worst part of leveling up a new character these days, but at the time the general feeling was that it was a big step up :shrug:

It was an improvement over vanilla WoW leveling at the time. That still didn't make it that great.

And the stupid endgame reputation grinds were the most idiotic timesinks in the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That chart is real. Blizzard patched out attunements before the next expansion came out due to the complaints.

Which is when most of the filthy casual welfare epic nonsense started.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

As someone who has never played an MMO, what the heck is attunement?

A big chain of usually very time consuming tasks needed to get into the places where you can find the best loot.

It's called attunement because iirc the first real instance of it was in WoW where the dungeon would just kill you if you hadn't completed the quest chain.

Nowadays they mostly busy work to get a key to the raid.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

scarycave posted:

In, Nier:
Yes, Aerie Shades keep telling me I'm the bad person as you keep attacking me non-stop. I sure do feel really monstrous about defending myself.

Hey You started it. Those first prologue shades don't attack you at all.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pidmon posted:

So it's Qube but with boring exposition shoved in?

No Qube is far better. Magrunner has a lot of stupid gimmicks (like instant death enemies that turn some levels into complete twitch fests) that ruin it completely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rampant Dwickery posted:

I think 95% of all my deaths in Wolfenstein: The New Order are from those asinine running jumps at the start and end of the Gibraltar Bridge sequence. YES, BeeJay, I KNOW it's a stupid way to die. Stop reminding me.

Make sure you're wielding only a knife or single pistol. The heavy weapons affect your running speed and jump distance.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not just the AI, it's the combination of bad AI with tiny corridors everywhere. Also followers can't permadie unless you hit them. "Yes, Lydia, please run ahead, block the entrance, then exchange melee blows with a monster for five minutes. I'd shoot it, but if I use any of my magic right now you will die forever."

The Dragonborn DLC "power" that prevents your magic from hurting followers should've just been patched into the base game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately no. All of the flying characters control that way.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought Borderlands 2 had the worst one I've ever seen. The sheer volume of utter garbage and scarcity of usable items made me think of the whole loot aspect as more of a frustration than a goal. Diablo 3 1.0 had the same problem, but not to the same degree as BL2.

Destiny is far loving worse than BL2. It's 99% crap you have no use for.

BL2's biggest problem was having the good gear with preset levels. It would've been far better if legendaries had more of a range they could appear at and were a bit more common along with purples. When your best way to get decent weapons was the stupid codes given out by the devs, the game has a major issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The main reason it doesn't happen is that there's slightly different and mkre expensive licensing for the mp3 codec if you want to allow custom music iirc.

Best implementation was the last ssx game. It even remixed thd songs to fit the action to some extent.