Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The lack of much in the way of characters or narrative makes it harder.

True, but that hasn't stopped studios before in many previous instances. They made a loving emoji movie for christ sake. The lore and the story in these games is pretty dense and my least favorite thing about the games but I'd imagine some studio exec would see dollar signs and get a few writers to cobble something together. There's enough memorable settings, bosses and recurring characters to create a film I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Having played The Witcher 2 and Xenoblade 2, what other games have the absolute worst User Interface?
Examples of Bad UI:
  • The map doesn't account for elevation or blocked paths. The cursor points to an impassible mountain range but not the cave mouth that leads the way.

The map in Resident Evil 8 was really bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The thing about D&D - and I go all the way back to 1st edition - is that the rules are whatever the DM says they are.

For me, the real fun with the game was mostly with the storytelling, the characters and the world gradually unfolding. A good DM dangles dramatic threads throughout and offers problems to be solved in ways that don't always require combat in ways that don't make the players feel railroaded. When I had a mid-life crisis around 2006, I tried to get back into the hobby and was kind of taken aback by how much it revolved around miniatures, fighting rules and battlemats.

I ran my (then) 9 year old son through a mini campaign and fighting was maybe half of the drama. The rest was getting him to work through the politics of WHY he was fighting and encouraging him to explore ways to outsmart the environment he was dealing with.

A CPU version works, at best, as a way to keep track of movement, actions, inventory, encumbrance, xp, gp, along with weapon or spell ranges - so all the poo poo that's really hard to write down, erase and for a DM to monitor - plus adding the graphics of course.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

On my 2nd playthrough of Elden Ring and, gently caress, I hate that NPC quests gently caress off to another part of the map without any hints as to where they went. Half the time, it's some area I cleared out and have no need to re-visit. All the DS games do this for some reason.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

We've spoken a lot about the DS and ER quest lines but I've come to realize that what From is doing is actually requiring online engagement and discussion of what's what to fully peel their game onion. Not sure how I really about that, though, because what winds up happening is I have my console fired up and rocking the game, my phone next to me (because God forbid I miss a call) and my laptop also at the ready so I can look up poo poo that there's no god damned way I'd ever figure out just from the information the game is giving me.

From Software is assuming a level of YT/Reddit and online investigators/communities involvement and solving all of this poo poo as an actual extension of the game itself, and they have enough confidence in the quality of their product to automatically know that this will happen, but I'm still not nuts about it. In some ways, it actually takes me OUT of the game experience by making me interact with the real world when the reason I'm playing is to escape all that poo poo (my phone, my laptop, etc.)

It's the modern equivalent to the old days of having to call a hint line or buy a strategy guide, basically.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

While we're on the subject, the purpose of gestures and where to use them is pretty vague too. There were a few instances where it was obvious or otherwise spelled out for me but mostly I just never use them and it doesn't occur to me to do so.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I do appreciate how several things that From puts in these games seem like they should do something but a good many of them are just red herrings and don't do poo poo.

"..."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I can't recall ever finishing a Bethesda game. Usually about 50 hours in, I begin to lose interest. I never played New Vegas and grabbed it for like 3 bux, which I assume is worth it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TBLALV posted:

Sometimes you just want to get to the next set piece

The thing dragging games down for me is being mid 30s and not having as much time to just gently caress around as I used to

How's your newborn kid?

Rockman Reserve posted:

the only reason a game shouldn’t have fast travel is if the world is dynamic enough to mean you’ll see new things even walking the same route

games don’t really do this

Counter Point: Elden Ring's Night Calvary enemies are pretty neat. ER is a good example of how to get it right, I think and is so much better than the travelling around in DS1. I've found myself not using Torrent to explore regions because the world is so cool, I like sneaking around and I find it easier to discover things. But when I need to get my rear end all the way over to Liurnia Lakes or whatever, gently caress riding all the way back there.

EDIT: Fallout Talk: not gonna lie. That trailer they put up looks like they really got the tone right.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Mar 29, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Speaking of Dragons Dogma 2, I just read about this:

https://www.avclub.com/game-theory-dragons-dogma-2-pulls-one-of-the-meanest-v-1851370881

Game Theory: Dragon's Dogma 2 pulls one of the meanest video game tricks we've ever seen

Contains spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

everything in elden ring should have 2/3 as much health and drop 175% as much grace, it’s really absurd. i’m running around raya lucaria and poo poo drops less than 100 grace when I need like 20k to level up. in the meantime I’m a similar level in bloodborne with way less time dumped into my current character, enemies take way less effort to kill, and drop like 500-1000 blood echoes when I need like 38k to level up

elden ring just feels so goddamned stingy

It's not.