Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It is actually really good but like every AAA game it has flaws. Because it was made by Bungie a lot of people expected it to be some kind of magical supergame that would render all other games immediately obsolete or something and so they focus on the bad poo poo and ignore that bajillions of people are playing and enjoying it. It's not for everyone but the trite bullshit by video game sites about people wondering why they still play destiny just cements how bad video game sites are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Pro tip: if your game is 99.9999% scrolling text, run that poo poo through a spellchecker. Better yet, have a few testers actually play the game. I'm like two chapters into Dangan Ronpa 2 and already there has been a line of text that ran way off screen out the side of the window, a word sliced into two separate lines by some parser run awry, and a misspelling that would have been caught and corrected in ten seconds if they'd bothered to spell check.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I don't know if it's just my touchscreen going wonky but the Fruit Ninja parts of class trials in Dangan Ronpa 2 keep misreading my slashes making it way way harder than it should be.

Also I'm about 2 hours into Tales of Hearts R and the plot is just terrible. I'm not expecting Shakespeare or anything from my anime swordmans RPGs but there hasn't been a single event or cutscene that didn't make me cringe.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

Also I'm about 2 hours into Tales of Hearts R and the plot is just terrible. I'm not expecting Shakespeare or anything from my anime swordmans RPGs but there hasn't been a single event or cutscene that didn't make me cringe.

Quoting myself here because it is still really goddamn bad but also there is a younger sister character who is now constantly afraid of everything and since the voices are in Japanese every other line is her whining "oniichannnn~~~" or whatever the gently caress to the point where it would be really funny if it had any semblance of self-awareness.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Is the plot of Hotline Miami that important? I played the first one as a time killer on Vita in short bursts and don't really remember much of the plot or if I even beat it. Someone spoil it for me.

Content:
I hate it when games have longass sequences where you can't save. I'm playing a handful of JRPGs right now and they're often terrible about this. Want to save after that tough boss? Too bad, sit through a ten minute cutscene, fight your way back to the entrance of the dungeon (still hitting random encounters, natch), watch another drat cutscene where the characters spend five minutes in a long discussion that boils down to "we should probably go to the town to the west next", leave the dungeon, hit a loading screen, end up on the world map, and THEN save.

The Vita is great because any time I feel like it I can say "gently caress you, I'm done with this for a while" and put it in sleep mode, but you still can't switch to another game if you don't want to lose your progress.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I liked Dinklage in Destiny. He perfectly conveys how bored an immortal robot would be. Your player character ends up mocking him in story cutscenes.

Dragging Destiny down is the feeling that there was meant to be way more to it. As far as I know (and granted I haven't bothered really looking, because that's time I could spend shooting aliens with lasers) there's no in-game way to get alternate Ghost shells. With the exception of the DLC speeder, the various vehicles are almost entirely interchangeable.

And gently caress trying to power through an exotic weapon bounty only to realize that it requires Xur at one point, and it's four days until they show up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The player physics in Minecraft are annoying. You have no inertia at all so you can jump at a skeleton, furiously swiping your goofy pixel sword, and one lousy arrow will hit you hard enough to send you flying backwards even though it does almost no damage.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They had every single character read identical parts to thin out obvious kinks. After not attending rightly, Ron(Seger) ordered writers to override the haphazard effort.

Knowledgeable nerds endure ennui.

Holy poo poo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The intro to Majora's Mask is dumb and boring as hell.

Oh look, a cool new town brimming with life to put the towns in OoT to shame! Let me just see if there are any side quests I can do and--

NO gently caress YOU YOU ARE A BUSH

Okay, so I just need to do a series of completely unrelated tasks to get to the clock tower. Cool, I did it in less than a day and a half, now I can get on with the real game and-

NO gently caress YOU WAIT UNTIL ITS OPEN OR DANCE WITH A SCARECROW OR SOMETHING gently caress YOU

Fine I'll go dance with the scarecrow. Still there has to be SOMETHING to do in this shithole, they can't seriously expect you to literally burn time until the door op-

gently caress YOU BUSH PERSON

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

You don't actually have to do a lot of stealth in that. There's like 2 screens that you need to stealth in, but that's it, the other ones aren't necessary. :v:

I have to agree with Majora's Mask's intro being pretty slow, but it gives you a chance to go around and meet the townspeople, see how theynlive their lives and such so you can have a headstart on that whem you're Hylian again. Also imthink time passes faster than usual in the first cycle.

Nah, time passes normally for the first cycle, you just don't have the song to slow down time yet (or any other song). It's a solid 72 minutes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm pretty sure Landerig has a good handle on the scale, though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I tried playing DnD awhile back with some NERD FRIENDS and I took alignment to mean a sort of general idea of your character's outlook as opposed to a strict set of rules but they got really worked up about it being important. :v:

Your friends are the bad kind of nerd, I'm sorry.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Alignment makes a lot more sense when you remember that it was supposed to be something on a character sheet to act as shorthand for how a preset character should act.

Except no, it had a shitload of actual mechanical interactions because early D&D was not very well designed.

Back on target, sorta - it's not a game but I really loathe the short battery times on modern handhelds. I travel a ton and it sucks that back in the day I could have thrown a GBA and an eight pack of batteries in my carry on and been set for a month, whereas now my Vita gets 3 hours with the brightness turned down and my 3DS is lucky to hit two and a half.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I have never finished a Bioware game despite them really hitting all the things I'm looking for in a game. I really need to get back into Mass Effect, I've started it like four times now and the furthest I've gotten was the plant thing boss.

Is Dragon Age Origins still worth playing? I got the second one on PS3 for like two dollars and while I knew going into it that it was universally loathed and I'd never finish it anyways it has been a great "hit monsters and be a dick to your whiny idiot brother while drinking when you're bored" game.

I don't know what it is about Bioware games, though. Big dumb space operas and action RPGs are both things I love dearly, but see above re: Mass Effect. Something about them never really clicks with me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Agreed on the crafting system but you'll be kicking yourself for not taking advantage of it sooner, if anything.

For those who haven't played it, you can collect all kinds of poo poo like flowers and plants for potions and whatever. Some of these ingredients are a pain to find early on, and you might hesitate to use your stronger stuff because after decades of other open world RPGs you don't want to go and collect the ingredients to make another Super Potion Oil or whatever.

....Except you never need to make more. Potions and oils and all that jazz refresh automatically when you rest as long as you have an ultra-common item on you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Poulpe posted:

I really enjoyed that game for what it was, but yes at the end it became a goddamn slog. I also liked what they were trying with the Brave/Default system, but I think it could use some refinement to tune the difficulty levels a little. I'm interested to see what the sequel does to improve.

I thought the B/D system was really clever and added some depth and strategy...for the first several hours. Then I started to feel like it was the cheap gloss finish trying to cover up a flaking, rusty paint job. The basic Final Fantasy style turn based battle system is fine in my mind but then suddenly there's a small quality of life improvement to it and it makes me realize what a slog it really is. Like putting lipstick on a 80 hour pig.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I picked The Sims 3 back up on my new computer on a whim and I feel like it's gotten a million times more obnoxious about DLC in the two or three years since I played it last. It's possible that it's stayed the same and my tolerance for it has just gone down but it's super in-your-face annoying.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lol about complaining about the writing in a Batman simulator

I didn't play as long as you but I definitely was able to swoop down from a rooftop and beat the poo poo out of some poorly dressed gangsters, so it delivers on the fronts I find important. Shame you had such a poor first impression but maybe try to lighten up a bit?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"This game where a man dressed as a bat punches a lady who is telepathically linked to trees lacks proper gravitas" is not a good point you fuckin' nerd, get lost before I give you a swirly

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Here's a tiny thing dragging Arkham Knight down for me: I haven't had much time to play yet, so I haven't progressed the plot much at all. When I jump on and have ten minutes to mess around generally I want to find a few groups of thugs to Batman up and maybe stumble my way into a Riddler trophy along the way. In Knight, at least at the beginning, it seems like there are WAY fewer groups of random mooks on the street than there were in City so sometimes five minutes of that ten minute stretch will be spent driving or flying around.

Of course even basic traveling is pretty fun when you're the god drat Batman.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

:shrug: I didn't preorder it and it runs perfectly fine (well, 30fps, but a solid 30fps) on my mid-high end rig. I feel kind of like I won the lottery.

Hopefully it gets sorted out soon though because that blows for everyone else.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Is there anything you can articulate about why? I've definitely felt the same about some games - hell, I got about three hours into City and didn't pick it up again for over a year - but it's always a nebulous, hard to describe kind of thing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

So I'm seven years late to this one but holy hot drat the last five minutes of Fallout 3 are about as dumb as they could possibly be.

The game ramps up really well until that point, too, which makes it a real shame. The final sequence where you're walking Liberty Prime over to Project Purity is loving awesome and a great capstone on everything that happens after meeting your dad. Then you go into the chamber and OH NO you have to do this RIGHT STAT NOW.

Fawkes, I thought you were my bro, what the gently caress is this bullshit about my destiny being to die on the floor like a bitch?

I even have the GOTY edition which I thought solved some of these problems but I couldn't figure out a way to make either of my companions actually do it. What a lovely, stupid ending. I didn't go out of my way at all to get Fawkes to join me, you run into him on the main quest literally two or three steps before the finale so it would be almost weird NOT to have him along.

gently caress Bethesda's writing team.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I actually really like Bethesda games by nature of almost never beating the main quest but pretty much every time Todd Howard opens his mouth I wonder why anybody lets him near a microphone.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

No seriously how am I supposed to pass this poo poo off to another person and do the GOTY poo poo? This blows.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Slime posted:

I didn't mind the ability to pull out a shot you didn't actually have to aim, but using VATS really did just boil down to hitting the head over and over. There was zero point in doing anything else apart from maybe shooting Cazadors in the wings to make them slightly less of a complete poo poo to deal with. With a system like VATS I'd expect to me encouraged to have my character shooting guns out of people's hands and poo poo like that, not just shooting them with regular old shots again and again. You COULD, but it wasn't really worth bothering with.

In 3 at least there was often a slight accuracy boost to shooting at the right arm so in a lot of situations it was actually better to aim there and make them drop their guns. If you were under leveled and surrounded by super mutants, being able to stop a couple of them from firing for a few seconds could really help your chances of survival even if you didn't kill them outright.

What drags down FO3 is the fact that you can't back out of conversations without scrolling to the "get out of conversation" dialog option.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Yes I get it riddler, you want me to go do your thing, could you PLEASE shut the gently caress about it already?

I don't think you "get" the Riddler.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

FO:NV, like FO3, lets you change your build as you see fit before venturing into the world at large.

Unfortunately, the prompt is triggered by walking outside of an invisible boundary in the starting zone with no obvious signposting, unlike FO3 where it was the giant loving vault door.

And of course, the prompt doesn't have a "hold up there, let me go back two feet from the boundary and save my game" option so if you wander into the boundary with only a quicksave you're kind of screwed into going through the whole opening again the next time you want to create a character.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Mega Man 3 is my favorite Mega Man game if only because the title music is the most badass and chill track to ever grace the NES's sound chip, but god drat it it is difficult. I can beat the first 8 robot masters with no issue (well, almost no issue: gently caress Needle Man, I still don't know how to reliably dodge his attacks). But then you beat them and you're all stoked to go and kill Wily, but noooooooooo. This game gives you extra value by forcing you to kill the robot masters from Mega Man 2 all over again, except without any of their sprites or animations.

Again, this would be a net positive, except that the game doesn't tell you which RM is in which modified stage, there are 2 per level, and god drat it I there's a couple of Air Man attack patterns that I can't figure out how to dodge to save my life. gently caress Air Man, gently caress Needle Man, I'm going to go have a drink.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The Neverhood is one of my favorite games but it has three major things dragging it down:

-Finding a copy these days is akin to winning the lottery
-It is a major pain to get it running on my Windows 8 laptop, and because all the graphics are claymation they're locked into an upscaled 640x400 resolution with no hope of a graphics overhaul
-Holy god almighty Klaymen walks slower than poo poo, I am not looking forward to grabbing the tablet from the hall of records.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hmmm thanks for the link, I heard about this ages ago but didn't preorder it and had no idea it was coming out so soon! Rad.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It sure is too bad that FFXIV locks you into a single character class.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The Bee posted:

Still sucks finding out the class you looked forward to using is subpar.

Yeah, I totally get that. But at least in XIV it's less of a setback than it would be in an older game where you're locked into a class. Find out it sucks at end game content? Tough luck, pray for a patch.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Leal posted:

Sims 3: Skill gains seem way too quick. The only time my sim has been using their mechanical skill is to unclog the toilet and they're already halfway to maxing out the skill. Making salads and waffles is making my sim a culinary god. I'm not exactly complaining that doing simple things is maxing out skills, its more that its happening way too quickly. You don't really have to worry about cooking fires after 2 days of making salads and you will never see the repairman cause unclogging the toilet for a few days will let you fix up everything yourself.

My Sims 3 gripe is that (much like the other Sims games) simple tasks take entirely too long to complete. The clock is so fast that I believe on the normal setting a minute or two is equal to an hour. Unfortunately the animations for everything are pretty much real time despite the compressed time scale. Want a bowl of cereal? Hope you have a free hour before work. Gotta take a leak? That'll take almost a half hour if you remember to wash your hands. It seems like the challenge of balancing work and personal lives for your Sims is completely artificial and based around them needing twenty minutes to eat a bag of chips that they inexplicably pull from the fridge.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Also either I've been very unlucky or the matchmaking is atrocious, myself as an only-just-semi-pro was once with two rookies against two semis and a pro. That's the most extreme example but I've never been in an evenly matched game, it's always like 5/6-0/1.

Also either it's got iffy servers or very unforgiving latency detection because I lag like mad when I don't on other games.

Still love it to death :allears:

I wonder how much of this, particularly the lag, is caused by PC/PS4 cross play shenanigans?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

The whole Nephallim thing didn't bug me so much because it tied into the mechanic where enemies occasionally dropped orbs that let you go super-saiyan.

The thing dragging D3 down for me is that it is so bland that even after beating it with two characters I legitimately cannot remember this.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

kazil posted:

One thing that drives me nuts about MGSV is when you extract a person, regardless of their stats, Miller goes "You're going to extract him?"

Could be A+ in every category, that fucker makes it sound like a chore to have him.

Miller is a weird jerk.

Speaking of the repeated tips every time I see tarragon Ocelot calls me to tell me that it contains trace amounts of benzos. Every time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Wasn't Destiny also really poo poo at launch? I'm amazed people kept playing that one, after Titanfall overstayed its welcome I would've thought it'd disappear too.

Destiny was actually pretty solid at launch and it got terrible reviews because it didn't suck you off while you played and it wasn't as supposedly earth shattering as balding middle aged reviewers misremembered the original Halo.

The amount of content was pretty big even if you did end up going through a lot of it several times, and in any case it was deeper than the CoD style of grinding (where you just play multiplayer over and over with new guns) that nobody seems to have a problem with.

The one thing that sucked about it early on and still today is that the story is a needlessly cryptic wet fart told almost entirely through weapon descriptions and a companion smartphone app.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Destiny was poo poo at launch and the only thing that saved it was some really loving solid core gameplay and the pedigree of Bungie. Yeah, the story sucked super balls (or, if we're using Destiny-style descriptions, it proto-sucked archon-spheres or some poo poo), filled with a grab-bag of random nonsense terms and lack of explanation anywhere except that dumb companion app. The fact that you'd randomly just get grimoire cards all over the place was neat until you realized there was no way to read them in the drat game.

I hear that the latest expansion is really fixing this though, everything from the quest structure to story to dialogue.

Yeah don't get me wrong aspects of the game were a hot mess on release but unlike 99% of shooters where it's completely accepted that nobody gives a poo poo about the story for some reason nerds really really wanted to know exactly WHY their space zombie wizard was mowing down hordes of evil space math robots. Like you said though, the core gameplay was solid as hell and it didn't have any "Press X to pay respects" bullshit so whatever, I'm still playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I was just exploring Mother Base trying to figure out where I could steal the cassette for The Final Countdown, when I came across a semi-hidden room. A cutscene played and, uh, that kinda dragged the game down.

I have no idea how much of it was explicit from Ground Zeroes since I never played it but you find Paz. And then there's a flashback that is kinda sickening. And QUIET is what people were up in arms about?!