Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Actually most of his augmentations were not necessary. Basically his chest and head were hosed, but the only limb that actually needed to be replace was his left arm, but David saw how well he responded to the new arm and went, "holy poo poo, give this man everything!" and had his docs hack off his other arms and legs.
He doesn't actually seem to be complaining about them doing the unnecessary bits though, it's the whole thing. He acts like all the augmentations were just forced on him and he would have chosen not to get any of them. But obviously that just wasn't possible, he'd be dead without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

For the player maybe, but there are really deep discussions going around in real life with the whole concept of transhumanism.

Consider these questions:

- Would you get a robo-arm if you had lost your actual arm?

- Would you cut off your arm to get a robo-arm?

Pretty big difference, even if there are no downsides to augs.
Yes and yes. I don't understand why anyone would say no to this, assuming that the robo-arms are superior to normal arms. In Human Revolution there's the issue of being dependent on that drug, and that would certainly be something that could make the robo-arms inferior to regular arms, but if you're like Adam and don't need it? Robo-everything. Give yourself super powers. What's the down side?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

m.hache posted:

Crushing kitten skulls when you try to pet them?
Well, we're talking about Human Revolution style robot limbs, and no one in that world seems to have that problem. Pretty sure they can handle delicate things just fine. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I can't pause Dark Souls. Look I know it's an effect you're going for but my dog needs to take a poo poo right now and telling her there's guys with spears jabbing me is not going to be much relief. Oh whoops sorry whoever's calling me on the phone, but I can never feel truly safe, which apparently means I must sever all connections with other lifeforms.
I've never understood these decisions to make games more challenging by making them less convenient. Like limiting the number of times you can save. If you don't have enough time to play all the way through in a small enough number of sessions then you just don't get to finish the game. Or checkpoints being really far apart to force you to do whole sections as one rather than save-scumming, which means that if you have to stop playing for any reason before you reach that checkpoint you have to do a whole bunch of stuff again.

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Think of how lovely augs would make sports, though.

Would they allow augs in sports? That would just make them a pay-to-win game where the most well-funded teams have a massive advantage
Like that's not already the case? I don't understand why people care about stuff like performance-enhancing drugs in sports. Look at the Olympics; If you're from a wealthy country where they have well-funded programs to train and support athletes, you've got a huge advantage over the guy from the poor country who had to work a full-time job on top of training. Why are we pretending this is a fair contest?

Who What Now posted:

But you're right, we can't just allow people with any sort of augmentation to play certain sports. There's no challenge to dunking if you just use your rocket-legs to blast off from half court.
Can't we? Because that sounds way more entertaining than regular basketball.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've been playing Shadowrun Returns, and it seems to do a pretty good job of making it possible to progress no matter what skills you choose, but I wish it was a bit easier to tell what would be actually useful. I've done two missions so far where you have to hire a crew to help you out, and both times I've hired a decker and he's just been dead weight just hanging around doing nothing. I have no decking skill, so I feel like I should bring someone with that skill in case it turns out to be useful, but it hasn't so far and I have no way of knowing whether it actually will be useful later or not. It's not like I'm short on cash since the rewards seem to be more than I'm likely to spend anyway, and it's not so difficult that having that dead weight is a real problem, but I'd like to have a fourth party member who actually does something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Deadman's Switch or Dragonfall?
Dead Man's Switch. So does this mean that there's no point in having a decker with me at all?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Gone Home is a game I had sequence-break to finish so I could add it to the finished-favourites tab in Steam. The reason being is that it's so badly optimised you'd need a Crysis 3 computer worthy enough to play a game where you explore a single, empty house.
This must be something to do with specific hardware, I think, because it ran perfectly fine on my laptop.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The entirety of LIMBO once you leave the woods. When you hit the city you leave behind the lost boys and giant spiders and instead face up with timed-jumps over buzz-saws and goddamn block-puzzles. Also, at no point do they ever mention that the premise is about a boy looking for his sister. I had no real connection with events and I couldn't give a drat about the ending. Just because a story is monochrome and minimalist, it doesn't mean it can substitute emotional groundwork with stylish ambience.

Braid may have been up its own rear end with its story, but it was completely separate from its fun design.
I enjoyed all of LIMBO (although I do agree that it gets a bit frustrating towards the end), but Braid was loving awful. It's a load of pretentious wank and not even fun to play.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Just started playing Deus Ex: The Fall today, and it seems pretty fun so far, but that tutorial... Was it meant for people who've never seen a computer before but somehow managed to buy, install and start playing the game? Moving the mouse to look around, you say? Well, first you're going to have to tell me what this "mouse" is, all I see is this plastic gizmo!

Also tried out Serious Sam Classics: Revolution which I assume I must have got in a bundle or something because I knew absolutely nothing about it. It's like someone set out to modernise Doom II, but for some reason they felt that one thing that had been missing was pointless infodumps delivered every time you see a new weapon or monster.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

It's a user maintained version of the first two Serious Sam games. You got if for free if you owned both of them.

Huh. Turns out I do have those as well, although again I don't remember buying them or know anything about them. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Scribblenauts Unlimited is mostly pretty fun (even if it doesn't quite live up to the potential of the concept) and there isn't really much in the way of challenge, it's just fun coming up with novel solutions and seeing if they work. But the prison escape... There are a bunch of things that just kill you in one hit and every time it happens you have to start from the beginning again. And the suggested solutions don't even really make use of the core game mechanics, they're just stuff like "move fast" and "get the timing right to avoid the spikes". It's like it came from a different game.

I'd also like it better I think if the scenarios were more mundane and realistic and it left it to the player to introduce the wackiness. When the game presents you with a scenario where a vampire, a Viking, a computer hacker and a chef are all just hanging out in the same area it doesn't feel like there's much you can do to introduce humourous incongruity to the situation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

It can also make Wei look absolutely batshit insane if you decide to murder the girl at the end of the quest and dump the body in the ocean. :v:

This man is a police officer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

"I smellll darkspawwwn!" :byodood:

I picked whichever one it is that makes her say "Warden sense tingling!" which I didn't mind. What annoyed me though is why even give the option of choosing a voice if none of the dialogue is voiced? And why have everyone else's dialogue voiced but not the protagonist? Why? It's really jarring. Would it really have added so much to the production cost to have one male and one female voice actor do the player character's dialogue?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. Can't have a voiced protagonist and a good multiple choice dialogue system without spending way to much money, except if you're Alpha Protocol for some reason.
Every other character is voiced though. All the dialogue options you can choose result in context-appropriate, fully-voiced dialogue from whatever NPC(s) you're talking to. Obviously those don't all need to be unique, sometimes the same response will work either way, but compared with all that, how much extra is it to give the player character a voice?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lotish posted:

Well yes, they are. But adding an avatar, each with a specific "personality," to then inflect on every line of dialogue those characters respond to is adding a fuckton of actors who all have the exact same lines. That's 30 actors with a full games worth of dialogue to read, and they're paid by the word. Dragon Age already reused a ton of actors to play major and minor characters; Cullen and the original Anders are the same dude. If you added dialogue for every single bark set you have to take whatever they paid Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale to do Mass Effect and multiply it by 15. At minimum.

If it's any consolation, Dragon Age Inquistion will let you pick Male/Female + American/British.

I was just talking about having one male and one female player character voice, not 30 actors. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I just started playing Skyrim and it's mostly pretty fun, but basically everything about horses is confusing or irritating. Like, why is riding a horse the best way to climb a mountain? And why can't I shoot fireballs from horseback? And given that you can't defend yourself from horseback, why are there things (like wolves) that attack you all the time when you're just trying to ride your horse somewhere? And do all animals move at the same speed? Because I think my horse should be able to outrun those wolves (but it can't). And when you do get attacked while riding, in the time it takes to dismount your horse will have started fighting back and seems to fight in preference to fleeing, which means that if you're being attacked by a sabre-tooth tiger or something you have to act really fast and hope to distract it before it kills your horse.

Non horse-related issues include:
  • NPCs I have to follow who walk faster than my walking speed but slower than my running speed. It seems calculated to be deliberately annoying.
  • Dialogue that can't be skipped because you're not in conversation mode.
  • Summoned creatures and zombies last way too short a time and are basically poo poo. It's almost always far easier to just kill things yourself than try to coax your minion into doing it.
Also, it seems like the map is just too big and open. I preferred Dragon Age: Origins where it seemed easier to know what you were supposed to do. And you didn't need to waste time trekking around through the countryside. Skyrim seems really unfocused and I feel like there should be more barriers that fall away as you progress rather than just letting you go wherever you want right from the beginning. I can go and find all these other towns and stuff, but I feel like I'm going to do a bunch of stuff there and then later the game is going to make me go there as part of the story and I'll get there and find no new stuff, just the poo poo I already did.

StandardVC10 posted:

Speaking of Mirror's Edge, I would have liked the time trials, but the points you have to hit are so small and specific that you really have to proceed via a specific path and set of moves to hit them, which they never make any effort to suggest. I think they'd have been better if they had either fewer or larger checkpoint areas, just giving you a handful points on the map to find the fastest way between without having to double back or climb to the top of a specific air conditioner somewhere along the way.
That was one of the problems with Mirror's Edge overall, it was just too linear. Those game mechanics wanted either an open world with plenty of ways to get around or at least levels with multiple paths, but in most cases it seemed like there was one way to go and that was it. The other major problem was the combat and if a sequel ever comes out I hope it's all parkour, no fighting.

peter gabriel posted:

I used to like it when we still called 'parkour' things like 'jumping around'
You want to not have a word for that specific concept? Why? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lurker Above posted:

You can sprint
Well, there's a thing I didn't know. The horse is dead now anyway, it got itself killed one too many times and I couldn't be bothered reloading to save it.

LoonShia posted:

Wait, you're complaining that an Elder Scrolls game is too big and open? I thought the whole point of TES games was that you could go wherever.
That may be the case. I haven't played any of them before, except (I think) Oblivion for about ten minutes before I got bored. In any case, that is a thing that I don't much care for in this game that I'm playing.

BTW, is there a more efficient way to figure out how to make potions than just throwing ingredients together to see what sticks? Other than looking it up on the internet, I mean. I'd been collecting ingredients for ages and not doing anything with them, but then I started getting overburdened and decided to free up some space by making potions, but most of the time I'd get nothing and when I did get something it was usually something I didn't want so I'd just sell it anyway. It would be nice to know how to make the potions that restore health and mana though, those are handy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hobo By Design posted:

it'd be nice if the game greyed out already-tried combinations.
It does do that for ones that failed to produce any effect, so you only accidentally make a potion you already knew about rather than retrying a combo that doesn't work.

Dr Christmas posted:

When did so many games games stop doing final bosses? I know that Call of Duty and would be weird if it had a final enemy that inexplicably took a ton of bullets to kill might be weird, but then sci-fi games that are perfectly conducive to massive, tricked-out enemies like Half-Life 2, Bulletstorm, and Warhammer 40K: Space Marine stopped doing them and replaced them with ~cinematic~ crap and QTEs.
I like to think that everyone secretly agrees with me that boss fights are terrible. I don't know how many games I've played up to the first boss and then just stopped playing forever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The day/night cycle in Skyrim. It's neat how the NPCs will be at work during the day and sleep at night and I see how that allows for interesting stuff like the player being a vampire and having to feed on people as they sleep, or I guess sneaking into people's houses and shops at night to steal stuff or whatever. But on the other hand, it's really annoying when I'm doing some alchemy in the potion shop and in the middle of it the owner starts telling me I have to leave. Or when I just want to use a particular shop but it's night.

And for some reason the "wait X hours" thing doesn't seem to work as expected. You'd think that if you skipped forward to midday then the shops would just be open, but it seems like maybe you still have to wait for the NPC to get into position from wherever they were when you started waiting? Or maybe that's not how it works, it's hard to tell. I do know that I tried waiting till daytime to use a shop but it was still shut for some reason, and waiting till 3am to break into someone's house only to find them still awake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

The day/night cycle in Skyrim. It's neat how the NPCs will be at work during the day and sleep at night and I see how that allows for interesting stuff like the player being a vampire and having to feed on people as they sleep, or I guess sneaking into people's houses and shops at night to steal stuff or whatever. But on the other hand, it's really annoying when I'm doing some alchemy in the potion shop and in the middle of it the owner starts telling me I have to leave. Or when I just want to use a particular shop but it's night.
And now I've encountered the worst example of this. I was a vampire, and it was pretty irritating, so I went to get cured. Finding the quest was easy enough, it seems like it's set up to just have someone tell you about it at the earliest opportunity after you become a vampire, so I found the dude and got a black soul gem from him, went and filled it, then came back. But it was night and he was in his house. So I used the "wait" function to get to morning, then hung around for a few minutes but he didn't come out.

I spent the next twenty minutes or so using the "wait" function to skip forward an hour then sitting there hoping he'd come out of his house, but he never did. I looked for a solution on the internet and found a site that said he usually comes outside at 3am. So I used the wait function to get to 2:30, then sat there while the in-game time went all the way to 4am. Nothing. He still won't come out.

So I found a console command to teleport him to me, which solved that problem, and he tells me to meet him somewhere at dawn. I knew that the sun started burning me at 5am, so I went to the place and waited for 5am. He doesn't show up. Apparently when he said "dawn" he meant 7am, because at that time I saw him approaching, but he got attacked by a mudcrab and was stuck in the swamp.

So I killed the mudcrab and he got up, but wasn't moving any more. I managed to unstick him by talking to him, but since he wasn't quite at the right place yet the option to do the cure wasn't available, so I went back over to the circle. He started to follow but just stopped for no apparent reason and just stood a little way off, so I had to use the console again to teleport him the last two meters so he'd actually do what he was supposed to. :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Thoughtless posted:

A lot of the time in Skyrim (on PC) you should just use the console, I've discovered it helps a lot with enjoying the game. This includes: leveling skills so you don't have to grind them (a mindless chore best left for MMORPGs)
I've pretty much just been ignoring that anyway. My skills go up, presumably I get better at stuff. Sometimes I get to increase my health, mana or stamina and pick a bonus thing. Mostly it doesn't make much difference as far as I can tell.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Wow, reading all of this about Skyrim makes me glad I never opened it when I got 2 years ago. :v:
It's irritating when stuff isn't working right, but most of the time it's pretty fun. And the stuff that breaks tends to be fixable as long as you don't have a pathological aversion to doing anything that might technically count as cheating, like resurrecting essential NPCs or teleporting them to you rather than just abandoning quests that aren't working right.

Len posted:

I've always liked how on these forums it seems like the only way to have fun with Skyrim is with mods.
I'd heard that and had been putting off playing it because I thought it was going to be such a hassle, but then I realised that if I kept thinking that I was never going to actually play it, so I just started without any. I'm not sure what I'm missing out on, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hannibal Smith posted:

The main thing that really dragged down Skyrim for me was the dragons. They were just awful to fight.
I've managed to play 44 hours so far without fighting one. I'm pretty sure I know which quest I have to do to make them appear, but they sound kind of annoying and I'm enjoying doing all these other quests, so I just haven't bothered yet.

Captain Lavender posted:

If you play 100 hours and walk away feeling lukewarm or even negative about what you just played, I don't think you can really make a great argument that the game didn't at least meet the bar for consumer expectations of an adequate experience for the $20-$60 you spent on it.
To be honest, despite the time I've already spent on it and the fact that I'll definitely play it some more, I really wouldn't want to have spent $60 on it. On sale for $8 it was totally worthwhile though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Ultimately the thing that drags the game down for me is that the entire goddamned universe revolves around me. Maybe this works for other people, but the simple fact that other people can't do a single drat thing on their own pulls me out of the game so loving rapidly everytime.

Isn't this the case in just about every game? And what's the alternative? Have NPCs do stuff if you don't get to it quick enough so you miss out? That's just how video games work. You are the chosen one, the only one who can defeat the ultimate evil and also the only one who can deliver this letter and collect these butterflies and kill that guy and whatever other mundane tasks people need done. Because you're the player and you want stuff to do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Basically, what stands out the most to me is that you can like, gently caress off in the middle of some poo poo to go do a pile of other poo poo, and every other plot doesn't really move. Everything is disconnected. It'd be neat if you could blow off the war, and let that poo poo happen unto itself because you're too busy hunting dragons and poo poo, or if the dragons upped their power levels/ante on their own completely independant of you, not-unlike how the aliens ramp up thier invasion in XCOM.
That sounds good in theory, but in reality that just means that most players are disappointed because everything got resolved without them and they didn't get to play it. Yeah, it doesn't make sense that the Jarl of Whiterun has been waiting literally months for me to go deal with this dragon, he should definitely have gotten someone else for the job by now. But on the other hand I might want to do that eventually, so I'd be annoyed if some random NPC had dealt with it while I wasn't looking.

And it does make it pretty obvious that "urgent" things really aren't because you can just ignore them and come back later, but that really applies to most games. The villain will take over the world if we don't stop him within the next hour, but I can spend two hours going over every corner of this level to find all the secret areas and collectible items and it's fine. Because the game is designed to be fun, not realistic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Based on your previous posts, I'm fairly sure that you've never actually played a game like this, and are just speculating based on pure nothing.

I, on the other hand, freaking love Star Control 2. The plot moving without the player (at a reasonable pace) is fantastic.
I haven't played Star Control 2, but I have played games where things go on without you if you take too long, and I hate them. It completely ruins the game by making me feel rushed and stressed, and I can't really anything because I always have to keep moving. Same with timers where you just fail if you take too long. Just let me play the game at my own pace, gently caress off with this pressure. As soon as I feel like the game is forcing me to go faster than I want to I stop playing and never touch it again.

Austrian mook posted:

I think it's extremely important to have content you can miss in most games.
I have no problem with minor stuff you can miss, but I hate when it's entire quests. The thing I absolutely hate about games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines or Dragon Age: Origins (all games I otherwise love and have played multiple times) is that I have to go on the internet to find out where all the side quests are because I don't want to miss any of them. It annoys the poo poo out of me that there can be a quest you never even know exists because you didn't talk to this one NPC or didn't pick up this item. If I'm enjoying the game, why would I want there to be bits I didn't get to play?

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Having hidden stuff is one thing but if I knew in the back of my mind if I didn't rush poo poo would happen without me I'd be annoyed the whole time.
And because you are rushing you're probably missing out on stuff you just don't notice, which you would have seen if you could have taken it slower. It's basically designing the game in such a way as to ensure that no one actually gets to fully appreciate it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

swamp waste posted:

I don't know man. For a game world to feel rich and reward exploration, there has to be good, interesting content in places where the player might not find it. I don't see why being able to learn about stuff that wasn't obvious on GameFaqs instead of having it served to you on a silver platter is the problem, rather than the solution.

I don't want video games to give me homework.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

So you just wanna do the game with like, the bare minimum of effort?
Uh, pretty much, yeah. I'm playing games for entertainment. I want it to deliver the fun things to me so that I can enjoy them. :shrug:

2house2fly posted:

I mean I guess a game could just put every quest in the game into the quest list and tell you how to kick them all off
Or mark them on a map. That would work too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LoonShia posted:

That's what Let's Play is for.
No, it isn't. I don't even know what is supposedly so controversial about just wanting to get to play the game instead of having to gently caress around finding the actual game within the "world". I don't know how anyone can seriously argue for "there should be bits of the game that a lot of players will miss" because what the gently caress is the point of that? "Ooh, you know I am really enjoying this game, but I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more if I got to play slightly less of it!"

This is incredibly dumb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

M.Ciaster posted:

You do know that exploration and discovering stuff is actually supposed to be a part of the game right

+ getting everything spoon fed to you makes it so that you don't actually feel like you're working to achieve anything and that just feels hollow as hell IMO
How is "I don't want to miss out on any of the quests" in any way equivalent to "I want everything spoon-fed to me." I like playing the game, that's why I want to do all the quests. I don't like having to talk to every single NPC in case one of them happens to hand out a quest, because listening to incidental dialogue isn't really what I'm here for. It's tedious, time-consuming and just generally time that could be better spent actually playing the game.

2house2fly posted:

a video game can't be everything to everyone. There are already plenty of games that don't have optional side quests, someone who doesn't like optional side quests can just play those instead of suggesting that the entire concept of optional side quests be eradicated.
Actually, that's a good point though. Why are those quests optional? Who's enjoying the game enough to keep playing it but thinking "Gee, I hope I don't have to play all of this game. I just want to get to the final cutscene as quickly as possible." And if there is some benefit to that, why not make it entirely voluntary? What's the benefit in making it possible to accidentally skip stuff?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

So do games like Minecraft bother you that there aren't any precise objectives? How about games like Crimsonland and its survival mode?
I've never played either (and don't know what Crimsonland is), but I gather that Minecraft is basically LEGO, you build stuff for the sake of building it. That's not really my thing, but it doesn't bother me. I like The Sims though. I guess you could say it does have objectives, but it's not like the sort of game where everything you do is specifically aimed at getting you to the objective.

Rick_Hunter posted:

It seems to me that what you like is nothing but the gameplay. When you play a game and the story tagline is 'Out of this world First-Person Shooter with never before seen abilities!", you want nothing but shooting in first person and to jump the gently caress around. You could care less if there were 100 side quests that let you find the root cause of the story they were trying to shoehorn into the game.

I play a lot of games for the story not necessarily to get to the end but to see how they tell that story through the gameplay. I already know the ending and I don't want to search every nook and cranny for 116 Buttgloss statues so I just look at a guide. Very rarely do I play a game that is just 'Game: The Game, feat. Gameplay'. If I bought a game that I do not particularly like and am stuck with it, I will use achievements to gauge how much theoretical gameplay I should get out of it but only to save money. Sometimes, though, achievements are just so unfun that I don't bother and I end up with a 100/1500 like on RE6.
I don't really know what you mean by this. One of the specific games I was thinking of is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. There are the main quests that you have to do to progress the story, and there are the side quests that you usually get by talking to some NPC. Some of those are pretty much impossible to miss because they're handed out by an NPC who goes out of their way to talk to you, but other ones are handed out only if you make a point of talking to a specific NPC, and if you do the main quests that take you out of that area without having talked to that NPC then you just miss them.

What that means is that in order to get to actually play all of the game, to not miss any quests, you pretty much have to try talking to every non-hostile NPC. And most of them have nothing of value to say. You don't know until you talk to them whether this will be one of the quest-related ones or just a background character you're not really meant to interact with. And no matter how careful you are, you can never be entirely sure if you actually managed to find all the side quests unless you check on the internet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Tiggum, you must absolutely hate Alpha Protocol. It is literally impossible to see "everything" in a single playthrough.
From what I've heard, that's more like there are alternate ways to go through the game, not just bits of the game that you skip? That sounds fine to me. But I did try playing that game and didn't like it at all, because the actual gameplay seemed kind of poo poo and also I think the way dialogue was handled was terrible. I may be thinking of something else, but as I recall you kind of have to choose your response before the person you're talking to finishes speaking because as soon as they're done it locks your choice in? That is just the worst.

It seemed like it would be fine if you wanted to choose the arsehole option every time, because that was pretty obvious, but if you want to do anything else you're pretty much guaranteed to gently caress it up and pick the wrong thing a lot because you get no time to think and react.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gohuskies posted:

It gives you a little time once they finish speaking, but it's not like Mass Effect where you can wait around as long as you want to make a decision. It makes the conversation "battles" far more intense, puts pressure on the player to make a choice quickly, and the conversation comes off far more natural and real. In real life, people don't pause for 15 seconds of silence to decide how they're going to respond to something the other person said.
In real life you don't have to pick your response from a list, you just say what you're thinking. It's really not comparable.

Sleepy Owl posted:

if you consider that busywork i guess
We do. It is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Why not just play through once doing whatever and then a second time with a guide or cheats or whatever so you don't miss any content, Tiggum? That way you don't have to stress out about events and missions and just play the game, and then go all completiony.

Because I want to play all of the missions once without having to play any of the missions twice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, we should bitch at him for not playing Star Control II.

Hey Tiggum, play it, it's free

Apparently it's some kind of combination adventure/action game? That doesn't sound like something I would enjoy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

The very worst is at the end of the TYM building in China, when you suddenly get thrust against about a dozen soldiers at the end of a cutscene with no way to really get past them or avoid fighting them.
What really annoyed me about that was how dumb Jensen is in the cutscene. He's got a gun pointed at this woman and she is clearly trying to maneuver around him, but he just lets her do it, he doesn't make her back up against a wall or tell her to stop moving or anything. :argh:

bewilderment posted:

Much like people complaining about saving Malik midway through the game, but it's actually very easy if you go the non-lethal route
Both of those are easy if you know the specific trick for beating them ahead of time. When you're playing it the fist time they're both very difficult sections because you're suddenly mobbed by a whole lot of dudes you weren't expecting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

The thing currently dragging the Choice Of games down for me is the way they limit your ability to explore the game. You have one 'save slot', and it auto-saves with each decision you make, so if you want to see the effects of a different decision, you have to start the game completely over. I'm sure it's a design philosophy, and I'm equally sure it's a sucky one.

This is especially annoying in games with multiple paths, but even in the most straightforward FPS or whatever, sometimes you just want to gently caress around and see what happens without it affecting your game. :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

In Sleeping Dogs they had a little timer that recorded how long you could drive like a normal, civilized human being and then showed your best time to all your friends on steam so you could try to out-drive eachother. It's still one of my favorite parts of that game because it's surprisingly hard to obey traffic laws in that game and now cause a horrible accident, all just so you can get a few more seconds on one of your friends times.

I could never figure out how to get more than a few seconds on that. It seemed like if you slowed down at all then the timer reset.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Dubstep Gun is literally the greatest weapon in the history of video gaming.
Knifegun. :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

as far as I know the only thing that affects it is how many people you killed, the idea being that killing people was the most convenient way to achieve your objectives or something.

It's definitely not that. I killed shitloads of people, including a whole lot of cops and civilians for no reason, and I still got the good dialogue. I did do every sidequest though, so if it is sidequest completion that triggers it then that would fit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

The one bad thing about Saints Row 4 is that it's hard to get a good rampage going as you progress. As new types of enemies are introduced, they replace basic ones at higher notoriety levels rather than appearing alongside them, and they appear in lower numbers. To complete many of the challenges and achievements, you basically have to grind hotspots and retreat before you complete them, and good luck if you don't figure that out before you clear them all. Plus, those rolling marauder turret robots that can only be killed by being shot in the back of the head really kill your momentum.
Unless you deliberately go somewhere where there are a bunch of human enemies already (like the military base), you almost never see more than a couple of them at a time outside of missions. They're almost immediately replaced by aliens, and it doesn't take long before even they get replaced with marauders and murderbots and then you either run away or fight a warden.

It might have worked better if it took longer to progress through the wanted levels, but it's just way too quick. And some particular weapons seem to just jump you through really fast. I found trying to have fun with the inflato-ray was almost impossible because I'd kill two or three dudes and be at warden level already.

It's still a great game and a lot of fun, but rampaging was way better in SR2. Even the brutes in SR3 were a step in the wrong direction, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

But doesnt that basically show that 99% of gamers are idiots and wont even get past the tutorial section, which in turn causes devs to front-load all their content instead of making an interesting game all the way through to the end? It just seems to me that the best games aren't necessarily made with the lowest common denominator in mind. Devs need to put more trust in the gamers, trust that we will find your drat content!
They need to trust that players will do something that all the available data says they won't do? It is nice when a game stays consistently good the whole way through, but I really don't think you can blame developers for prioritising the bits they know that almost everyone is going to see rather than the bits they know most people aren't going to see.

Spalec posted:

It is amazing how many people apparently never play their games. Like, in the first Bioshock only 91% of players got the trophy for completing the Welcome to rapture level, which is the first 15ish minutes of the game, and thanks to Vita Chambers you basically can't fail. There's no Multiplayer in the game either so it's not a Call of Duty situation where everyone just does that. Nearly 1 in 10 players essentially didn't play the game. :psyduck:
I buy lots of games that I barely play. I see something on sale for under $5, buy it, play for five or ten minutes, decide it's not for me, and then never play it again. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm one of the people who didn't get that achievement. Steam doesn't seem to want to show my the achievements for Bioshock just now so I can't check, but I definitely didn't play it for long.