Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JebanyPedal posted:

The original Far Cry is piss loving hard.

I'm so glad that they dumped the franchise on Ubisoft, the core concept of getting to gently caress around in big exotic jungles with tons of guns is a lot more fun without Crytek's fetish for crowbarring unfun superscience monsters into every game they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

This was made so that kids with motor problems and deformed hands could play videogames, so making fun of that is kind of dick move.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

I can't imagine trying to play FF7 for the first time these days. It's a good game for the era it was made, but it has not aged well at all. I think a lot of the stuff that drives you crazy is ignored because of nostalgia, yes.

FF7's dialogue and writing in general is pretty bad and uneven by today's standards ("Let's mosey", "He are sick", etc.) but it's still better than a lot of JRPGs from that time period. If you really want to see a bad translation try playing the original Suikoden or Final Fantasy Tactics, where the word "breath" was translated as "bracelet" across the board.

Reading about the way that they did translations back in the day it's kind of amazing that most games a were even comprehensible, a lot of the time the translator just had a huge text dump and had to translate everything out of order with zero context. They did voice acting the same way, which is why Deus Ex's lines like a "A bomb!" seem so incongruous with the scene they're supposed to be in.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I love how Rogue Galaxy sabotages itself at every turn. In addition to the cliched plot, wasted characters, uneven combat, cut-and-paste level-design, a nauseating romance between a woman and a dog, there is the hilarious writing decision to ham-hand melodrama into every scene. Near the end of the game you learn the backstory of your Jack-Sparrow-ripoff companion. It turns out that he had a previously unmentioned girlfriend who was killed suddenly by an oversized bird in the middle of a completely ordinary city. I haven't bought another JRPG since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZYUEMYFN1w

Level-5 makes some very pretty games but jesus christ they need to cut down on all the padding and grinding in their JRPGs. Dark Cloud 2 and Dragon Warrior VIII were great 40-hour games that were stretched out into intolerable 100-hour games.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I thought 2 had a fine plot. Independent of the party member plotlines it revealed the end game of the Reapers, the fate of the Protheans, established how all the different factions were(n't) reacting to the Reaper threat, and provided closure for its main plot while still leaving stakes high for the sequel. That's really all you could ask for for the middle entry of a trilogy.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alteisen posted:

So I took advantage of the sale they had for Paper Mario Sticker Star.

I'm not absolutely hating it, but I can I wonder why they went this route with this particular franchise.

Generally the Paper Mario games had very creative writing, unique areas and such, this one though is just a by the numbers Mario game stage wise, plains, desert, forest, water, winter, etc, the combat is limited by its sticker system since you feel like hoarding them for bosses, on top of that combat is largely pointless as you don't get exp anymore, just coins, lots and lots of coins, I have 600 coins at the end of 1-5 which seems like a shitload, course the game has a money sink in the form of slots you can use to be able to use more than one sticker, said slots are required for certain bosses as you can't hurt them unless you do 2 moves in one turn.

What little writing there is seems Paper Mario esque at least.

I can see why the game was so poorly received though, its a serious 180 from the previous titles.

This was a direct result of Miyamoto's meddling.

Alteisen posted:

One of the advertising lines for ME3 was "A great jumping on point for the series" so chances are you are on the money.

It also explains why nothing you did in the other 2 games mattered or was mentioned.

Almost every mission directly involves a previous party member and is different based on your relationship with them, whether or not they survived the previous games, or even if you never met them in the first place. ME3 had a lot of mis-steps but they did a pretty good job throwing in a lot of throwbacks, even if it wasn't the ridiculously impractical pipe dream of completely different storylines and gameplay that people spent so much time dreaming up that reality could never hope to compare to it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DStecks posted:

It always seems like 90% of the criticisms of ME2 are "It wasn't what I thought it would be/ isn't what I think it should be". Which is exactly as legitimate a criticism as saying "Inglouruous Basterds was awful because it should have been an action movie".

Maybe if Roger Ebert wasn't so good at trolling gamers more of them would adopt his philosophy of reviewing things for what they are rather than what you wish they were.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FredMSloniker posted:

As in he thinks stories are bad, i.e. 'Mario is about jumping on things, and you shouldn't ask why'?

To be fair the unskippable, non-voice-acted 10-minute opening to Super Mario Galaxy was pretty bad.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JK! posted:

Yup. The first moment you get control after waking up from coming back to life you can make a save. Put the ME2 save onto your comp using a flash drive and the program USBXTAFGUI. Use Modio to open the save game and pick out the save you just made.

Use gibbed ME2 editor on save_01 or whatever and it'll open up everything to you. add a zero to the end of every mineral and you never have to mine at all. you can also give yourself all the money and make one shot kill guns which are great if you just want to replay the story and make different choices.

It'll also allow you to unlock Legion early and use him everywhere because he's the best. And has a lot of unique dialog. Taking him on Tali's loyalty mission is fantastic.

There's also an editor for ME3

So this proves that all the people saying that Legion only shows up later in the game due to console limitations are full of poo poo?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

I'd forgive all of Oblivion's gameplay flaws if it wasn't for the setting.

At one point, all of Elder Scrolls was weird and awesome like Morrowind. Now TESO spreads across what's left of the setting that we haven't seen and conforms that, no, it's just fantasy England or not-Arabia or Rivendell or whatever after all.
:goonsay:

Even Morrowind ignored most of the game's lore in favor of more grounded stuff, unless I missed the base on the moon and the Redguard swords made of songs that were sharp enough to cause nuclear explosions from splitting atoms.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scarycave posted:

The combat in 1 + 2 did get old pretty fast though. Especially if you decided to start some poo poo in a town.
Now everyone and their grandma has to take a turn moving several feet away from the conflict going on.

Yes, the combat in Fallout 3 and New Vegas had their flaws but compared to the "right click, target eyes/groin, repeat for 50 hours" combat of the original games it's so much better that it isn't even funny.

Same with the inventory system. Even with console limitations it's a tremendous step above one giant list with actual details hidden several menus deep in the first games.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lotish posted:

You know what brings me down about New Vegas? Not enough people to shoot guilt free. In 3 there were loving slavers and raiders every god drat place, but if all I want to do is roam through the desert getting into gunfights there are only a few places in the Mojave I can really do that without potentially offending someone I want to work for. So I have to mod the game to have more dudes to shoot.

Though I suppose I could just go to Big MT; I remember there was a lot of stuff to shoot there. So much I never actually finished it.

Caear's Legion is hilariously evil, the only thing more fun that executing their entire colony and freeing all the slaves is reading passionate defenses of them from people on the internet who swear that a glorified civil war re-enactor could rebuild all of civilization by imitating the Roman Legion despite having no optimates, no populares, no plebes, no equestrians, no patricians, no senate, no right to private property, no civil law, no triumphs following a victory, no villa in Sedona, and no actual Rome.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

That was David Jaffe's original plan for III (you'd kill the Three Brothers in rapid succession, then the other mythologies' gods would swarm in to conquer Greece).

I don't much care for it, tbh. I mean, if Ra exists, why did the Sun fall from the sky when Helios was captured by Atlas? And the only Norse god anybody cares about is Thor, but we've already spent two games fighting a Thunder God. "Fight the God of Thunder yet again...with a hammer! (Totally different from fighting Zeus with the Blade or the Barbarian King, honest)".

Now a GoW knockoff, like Dante's Inferno, set in Norse or Egyptian myth would be pretty cool.

If games in general tried to use mythology other than Greek, Norse, Egyptian, and Japanese would just be great.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Re; Sleeping Dogs, on PC I had a control problem where doing rapid mouse-clicks to fight would make the controls freeze entirely, I had to play it with a controller. Of course a controller is a much better experience anyways since the game is a glorified brawler and the shooting is a rare distraction, so it worked out better in the end.

Thoughtless posted:

Skyrim's inability to let you finish quests in any other way than the intended. The daedra quests often have you doing horrible stuff, and while I like being evil in games I don't like being forced into it.

Or the thieves' guild quest that basically ends with you selling your soul to a daedra for some awful armor in order to beat an enemy you really wouldn't need help with.

In keeping with the trend of the Dark Brotherhood quests being the best, it has an entire alternate path in Skyrim: When Astrid gives you the choice of killing the three hooded captives you can go "gently caress this poo poo", murder her, and then do a short questline to find the hidden base of the Dark Brotherhood and kill them all. The end.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How can Rockstar make a scathing critique of the "American Dream" by putting the message in the most expensive video-games ever made? Imagine if Team America: World Police cost 150 million to make; does Satire even work in the hands of the richest party?

And they aren't even Americans!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ninjahedgehog posted:

This reminds me of a TDTGD in GTAV.

It's a pitch-perfect recreation of LA with fantastic local voice-actors...but they didn't bother getting an American to read over the script to take out all the Britishisms. More than once, characters refer to getting 'sacked' rather than 'fired,' use 'we've not' rather than 'we haven't,' and a whole bunch of text on the in-game internet uses British slang and mannerisms.

One of my favorite little moments in Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto is when the guys who made the game get chewed out by one of their voice actors while recording GTA: San Andreas because they had a 90s LA gangbanger using the word "rubbish".

it's not as great as Masters of Doom but it's a pretty illuminating read in that it shows how a few rich young kids that idolized American hip-hop artists got lucky, hit it big, and then got old and rich enough for their fixation on imitating Hollywood to reach its logical conclusion with GTA IV and V.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

Really Rockstar's main team just screams well off middle-aged white dudes that were hip once and are desperately trying to be that again and they act like petulant teenagers in their attempts.

Now that Del Toro and Kojima have opened the door for Hollywood collaborations in gaming it's only a matter of time before the South Park guys and Rockstar team up to make gently caress You, Caring Is For Fags: A Game For People Who Were Cool And Edgy 20 years Ago.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

I still feel like Rockster just don't understand the sandbox genre, which would be an understandable flaw if it weren't for the fact they invented it. The way that every story since San Andreas has completely fumbled handling that freedom, how it appears to be steadily getting worse about giving you that freedom, and some of its more mean-spirited moves in GTAV, really bring forward the message of 'we don't know why you like this game, but if you aren't playing it for the reasons we think then you are Wrong'.

Fortunately, it seems the rest of the city sandboxes on the market have grasped it. I haven't played Sleeping Dogs, but Saint's Row loving nails it, and Just Cause 2 and Farcry 3 Blood Dragon (if you want to count it; I haven't played the actual Farcry 3 though) both seem to really know what they're doing.

San Andreas had that exacy same bullshit too. CJ talks about not wanting to get back into a life of crime and is blackmailed with a handgun that killed a single cop, and then slaughters hundreds of rival gang members and policemen to change the color of that area on the hud and them steals a tank just for laughs. The gameplay was just fun enough to make up for it and the story wasn't as heavily in the forefront as it would be in later games.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Thoughtless posted:

Terraria has some bizarre design choices. After you beat the boss in hell, you go into hardmode. This creates two "invasive" biomes, which spread aggressively and will destroy all the natural ones, depriving you of a lot of resources you need.

How do you combat this? You dig a three-block tunnel straight down to hell. Two around every chunk of land you want to protect. This is incredibly tedious, even in a game mostly about mining. But that's not enough! You also get mobs that spit the corruption over your tunnels so you need to build walls too. Still not enough? As you progress in the game it'll randomly spawn hidden blocks of the invasive biomes, probably inside your painstakingly quarantined "good zones", and you'll have to find and isolate those too which takes insane amounts of effort.

It feels less like I'm playing and more like I'm working now, except I'm not getting paid. So that was how far I got.

Terraria stores characters and worlds separately, so you can create a new world and bring your character over there to access any biomes that aren't in the world you're playing now and then bring those resources back to your home world. The game actually encourages it with the way that you only have access to half the resources in any given world (tin vs. copper, etc.), I don't know if it's even possible to have a world with every biome.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dandywalken posted:

They need to do some tongue-in-cheek nods to the absurdity of GTA's setting too IMO. poo poo like a radio advertisement advertising a fundraiser for the 25,000 cops hospitalized for being beaten, shot, set aflame, and decapitated. That month.

In GTA IV one of the comedians does a routine about the fact that you never see any children or pets in Liberty City. And they've done things like mention a ban on bicylces to explain why Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories have vehicles and gameplay features that weren't in the original games.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pengu! posted:

I recently bought a PS2 and am making my way through all the well-regarded games I missed. The most recent one I got is Ratchet and Clank. While there is nothing really wrong with how it plays, I just can't get over how much of an rear end in a top hat every character in the game except Clank is. I usually don't mind playing reprehensible characters, but Ratchet seems to be an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat, which I find really grating.

I had the same problem with Dead Rising 2. The intro is one extended sequence of scantily-clad women verbally berating Chuck, it was practically fetishistic at times.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

It's fair to say that Metal Gear strongly favors the stealthy approach though, just because of the infinitely respawning enemies when you're in Alert.

It depends on your playstyle and the difficulty level, but especially in the installations with first-person aiming it's up there with the Hitman games in terms of stealth games were guns-a-blazing is a viable approach.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Missing Link was pretty awesome in general and improved on everything from the game engine to the boss battles to the interactivity (there's a point where you're exploring the office of the DLC's big bad guy and if you look close enough you can find a safe holding his custom revolver and steal it, leaving him without it during the boss battle at the end). It's so weird to me that people bitched about getting too much experience during the main game and then when the devs listened and made you pick and choose from a limited experience pool in Missing Link people turned around and bitched about that too.

That said, it does totally kill the game's pacing dropping it right before the game's final act in the Director's Cut. And the integration of the Director's Commentary in the Director's Cut was pretty poo poo: it's hidden behind an Extras menu with no instructions or fanfare, there's no visual indication of where the hotspots to activate the commentary are or if you've already listened to a piece of commentary or not, and when commentary is playing you can't use area transitions. Also it's automatically overridden by in-game communications, so if you don't just sit there listening motionlessly you'll inevitably be two minutes into a bit and then Malik will message you and you'll have to go back and start the whole message over again. And they just dump commentary non-sequentially so on your first visit to Hengsha you'll find a piece of commentary where they talk about Malik's death and a bunch of other stuff that you won't encounter for another dozen hours.

Which is a shame because the actual commentary is great and refreshingly open and honest.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Aug 21, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah it took me a few times to memorise my route to KO people as quickly as possible, I imagine no-augs would be the same except mashing my face full of cyberboost bars.

Another thing that annoyed me storywise in the game was how they revealed Darrow was a baddie way before the big reveal. The first time Jensen meets him in Sarif's office he comes off shady as heck and later the very first guard you meet in Omega Ranch basically says "I wish our good buddy Hugh Darrow was still here". Later when Megan mentions Darrow Adam responds as if it's brand new information. poo poo son I heard those guards talking about it, which means you did too.

Also I like your Andrew avatar.

I agree, though considering the original Deus Ex opened with your bosses monologuing about their plans for world domination and then proceeded to spend the next 10-20 hours having JC Denton uncritically working for them it's a step up for the franchise.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Futurism is the scientific and moral equivalent of filling a ledger with made-up stats for a fictional baseball team and then considering yourself a baseball player. It's also about as interesting.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

And then Jade Empire does the same thing with the spirits.

It's kind of impressive how much of Jade Empire is just KotOR in kimonos and paper lanterns.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Jade Empire was awesome.

Here's something I thought dragged down Far Cry 3: the loving story. The gameplay is fantastic. I loved ghosting outposts with a bow and a knife or sneaking around and creating minefield/c4 deathtraps or hunting wild animals (and enemies) in the jungle. I loved everything except playing the story missions. It feels cheap to just knock me upside the head in a cutscene. And that poo poo with Buck? Let's be real. There wouldn't have been a Buck quest. By the time you meet him you're so far down the rabbithole you'd have just tortured him.

Far Cry 3 was still a step above Far Cry 2, in that it had things like memorable characters and clear objectives and it actually went to trouble of having friendly AI instead of having every faction attack you on sight because they were too lazy to code friendly AI the plot called for it.

Also Far Cry 3 mostly limited its Alice in Wonderland theme to a quote in the opening cutscene and the hallucinogenic drug trips, while Far Cry 2 tried so hard to make sure that you knew the developers had read Heart of Darkness.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ein posted:

That puts a lot of blame on Bethesda/Xbox. Headfirst made big promises(raytracing!) and farted around with the game for 3-4 years before anything mentioned in that story happened. Before they released CoC they also announced/worked on things like Deadlands, the other two Call of Cthulu games, and developed/released that terrible Simon the Sorcerer 3D game.

They just weren't a good developer and the games they released is proof of that.

DoubleFine just took the money and ran again, this time abandoning their Early Access title Spacebase DF-9 without delivering on the features they promised, so hopefully gamers are going to wise up now that they're the ones getting cheated instead of publishers.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

im pooping! posted:

Final Fantasy X-2 was pretty fun, probably my favorite actually. The only thing that drags it down is you need 2.5 playthroughs to get 3 of the best dress sphere, Lady Luck.

e* actually wait I may be misremembering, I guess you only need one of each dress sphere? In that case, nothing drags it down.

There was a lot of unintuitive/trial-and-error stuff involved in unlocking things (walk out onto this platform and mash a button with no prompt to unlock the game's best ending!) and you could screw yourself out of missions and items pretty easily. Noting really game-breaking but it was kind of frustrating to have a game that felt like it was meant to be re-played several times yet was still as long as ponderous as your average JRPG making re-plays a huge investment.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, he wasn't really recognizable as Joel in TLoU either (and another great example of a typecast actor having range is Nolan North's David in that game. Holy poo poo was he different than the norm.)

Nolan North was also unrecognizable as the Penguin in Arkham City. But confirmation bias is a hell of a thing.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I play a lot of it and undoubtedly love it, but it always bothers me how unfair the diplomatic choices in Civilization V are in some ways.
Basically, the AI get their own unique warning messages they can send people warning them to not build too close to them or spread religions to them, yet for some reason players don't get those diplomatic options at all. It's a big diplomatic no-no when I get caught doing it or breaking a promise about it, but I can't hold AI Civs to the same standard, either I have to go to war with them (without any in-game ability to establish casus belli, making me a warmongerer because there's no way for me to set diplomatic boundaries that the AI can set) or waste faith on Inquisitors. :argh: No dude, I'm maybe NOT okay with you building a city two inches away from me when there's a billion miles between us and your other cities. Personal space!
Bastards are already duplicitous enough, at least let me be able to take the same diplomatic actions they can. :colbert:

Also, I wish civs didn't spawn so close to each other. It's not that I shrink from the challenge, but it's just kind of anti-climactic, especially with gigantic maps. I like exploration and cold wars and poo poo.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rick_Hunter posted:

It also makes me cringe every time I read that because when the first AssCreed came out a bunch of totally oppressed Christians in the US said it was anti-Christian. Now they put that in every single game. :ughh:

Assassin's Creed V: A work of fiction inspired by real events and developed by a multicultural team of varying faiths and beliefs

That was in the first game too. And considering the first game was about methodically murdering Christians and ended saying that all religions were a lie because aliens it's pretty understandable.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

The end game quests at idolized reputation will get Colonel Moore (aka that bitch everyone hates) to salute you, and you are basically at the point where you can order soldiers from base to base on reputation alone, but you never have an official rank. One thing troopers will say when you talk to them is, "if you were serving, you'd be halfway to general by now."

The inverse of this is when you're a woman working for Caesar's Legion, where everybody's like "Gee, you're so cool that even I would sure think twice about raping you into a submissive baby factory :kiddo:"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Aleph Null posted:

Tiggum, you must absolutely hate Alpha Protocol. It is literally impossible to see "everything" in a single playthrough.

Edit: and it is awesome.

I like the way that games like Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex, and Mass Effect handle "optional" content: every playthrough uses the same maps, missions, and general story beats yet because the game remembers all the minor decisions you made and acknowledges them (even if it doesn't have an actual effect beyond determining whose voice will be on your radio in a mission or what NPC is chilling in a bar and what item they give you) it feels more specialized and memorable than games that lock you out of broad swaths of content based on your choices.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Lobster posted:

Wait, I can understand wanting to cut out busywork, but why care so much about seeing all the content of a game you probably don't like enough to get through the better parts of again? Like, that implies on a certain level that you think it's unfun to begin with.

No it doesn't.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

You realize he's complaining about video games in the thread about complaining about video games?

I really don't get why people are jumping down Tiggum's throat about this. It's a legitimate complaint, he's got a reasonable viewpoint behind it, you don't have to agree with it but it's certainly not invalid.

The people who like playing the same missions in games over and over also like posting the same thing in this thread over and over :aaa:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Speak for yourself, watching a bunch of armchair game developers opine at length about how every bad thing in Dark Souls is actually objectively good and every change in Dark Souls 2 is objectively bad because the YouTube video that they are mindlessly parroting verbatim said so is hilarious. It fills the hole that was left when the Silent Hill franchise died and you no longer had people writing up college theses about how the clunky gameplay and awful dialogue were actually intentional and brilliant because :itisapenismetaphor:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Whatev posted:

Have any of the ACs actually improved the overall gameplay after 2? It seems like they keep tweaking and simplifying functions in ways that make the games more unwieldy and boring while ignoring the series' real problems, which mostly revolve around the combat being piss easy, clunky poo poo.

The Ezio games after 2 "improved" the gameplay by tacking on a fighting system similar to the Batman: Arkham Asylum/City/Origins games, which only made the combat even easier. Aside from that it's been mostly cosmetic poo poo or tacked-on gimmicks like Black Flag's naval combat.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, but they're definitely mimicking a freemium game. They have the whole multiple currencies thing going on. Apparently you have a generic currency, one for upgrading equipment and then you have the premium funbux that can be used as a replacement for the former two.

It's all very scummy in freemium games, so I can't imagine what made anyone think it would be a good fit in a paid game. If the equipment carries over to a PvP mode, it'll also turn the first weeks of multiplayer in a "pay2win game".

Especially considering that Microsoft tried the same thing with all of their Xbone titles and got nothing but bad press and poor sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You ain't kidding. this made me check rule34 to see how much FNaF porn there was ("how much" rather than "if," since it's really a foregone conclusion)

I knew there'd be some, but not 11 loving pages.

FNaF adverised on FurAffinity, even if you give the creator the benefit of the doubt he certainly knows his audience.