Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Which items? Everything from the covenants can be gained offline but it's very slow and grindy.

Well i meant online like the super powerful spells and stuff that wouldn't have been found except by walk throughs and stuff. Stuff SO far off the beaten path the only way to get it is to kind of cheat it a bit. And then yeah, can't you trade items from high level characters to low level through the online mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah lots of QTF and TFC turned into snipers v snipers.

Most servers I played on had a 1 sniper per team restriction as a result :v:

You know what I miss? The Hunted! Why haven't they added the VIP to TF2 yet? I mean honestly The Hunted would be a great game mode.

I get that payload is similar and takes the human element out of the equation, which is probably better in lots of cases. But why not add in the option to have a human VIP if the people playing know what they're doing?

Playing assassins and bodyguards was really good times.

This is correct. I played hunted SO much. Not having it drags it down.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I only play Payload and certain CP maps. Most maps are unbalanced poo poo storms in favor of ZANY antics. gently caress that.

SKill-Git gud or git out

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thats too bad about Planetside 2, it was actaully really fun. I feel like they just didn't' support it properly to make the game really unique and it just led to it getting stale. It was a blast when it worked though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Simply Simon posted:

Hahahahahaha

I just got 500 XP for doing this hahahahahahahahahaha this loving game

Also:

Two soldiers standing there like doofuses.

[Soldier] Help! We stumbled into the doom portal running from our duties and now there's a loving demon in the way!

> You loving idiots, go back!
> Yes I'll kill the next boss, as if I had a choice
> What about this guy?

Who? I guess someone is lying off camera because framing these talking scenes is hard, guys!

[Soldier] Yeah he's loving dying. Got a health potion?

> I guess?
> No.

Yolo.

[Soldier] Thanks a bunch! *gives me loving 500 XP, the same a normal enemy gives...twice*

> Yes I'll kill the next boss, as if I had a choice
> What about this guy?

I...get to ask about him again? Seriously?

[Soldier] Yeah he's loving dying. Got a health potion?

> No.

I was seriously wondering if you could keep giving them potions, but no, you could just tell him to gently caress off over...and over...and over again. By the way:

[Soldier] We can't! Our commanding officer will do literally worse things to us than the millions of hosed-up demons surrounding us at this very moment! *one example walks by in the background all chill-like*

Oh well that settles that then. By the way, there is no way to kill the boss they're so afraid of at the moment, because the game forces me to backtrack OUT of the demon portal immediately by bullshit-locking some doors.

It's comedy at this point and I don't feel that deep into it already? I don't regret a cent I spent, this game is amazing.

Yeah I was the one talking about it before. I did finally beat it, but the writing is terrible.

The combat is actually pretty fun though (excluding the bullshit huge shield guys you talked about, they can gently caress off to hell)

Once you start to Rune up your stuff the game can pretty much be trivialized though. Also, I'm pretty sure the studio that did it is German, so the translation may not be 100% perfect, and I think that would explain some of the dialogue. But that excuses the dialogue, not the bullshit story lol.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Wavebird was the best. But the other controllers were poo poo.

I remember being younger and everyone always wanted the actual Nintendo/Sega/Microsoft controllers over the Mad Catz bullshit.

First party controllers for lyfe.

Dragging down TF2: All the servers immediately get SUPER Full and its a spam fest. Servers should be capped at like 18, and no limit on any class or combination.

And all the fukin' servers have norespawn or some stupid gimmick in it. Babby's want no penalty for dying with instant respawn, and that should be outlawed forever by valve.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I met a kid in college who played L4D. He and his 2 buds invited me in and I didn't IMMEDIATELY start moving becasue I was taking a drink or something, so they killed me.

Never talked to that guy again, even though we had the rest of the semester.

L4D literally ended a friendship lol.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Esroc posted:

I quit L4D after getting thrown into a game with a girl playing who goofed off the entire time. She'd intentionally alert special zombies, shoot other players, and laughed and talked poo poo over the mic to everyone the whole time. Us other players took it in stride and laughed along with her and started goofing off ourselves, just having a good time. Finally she threw a molotov at me and laughed about it, so I shot her in the head. The atmosphere was one of us all just goofing off so I didn't think anything of this friendly retaliation, but she took it personally for some reason I will never understand and flipped her poo poo. She started cussing me out and then as we kept going she started shotgunning me every time we spawned. So I quit the session and she decided to spam my steam profile with nasty comments for the rest of the night.

The whole experience was so surreal and annoying that it soured the whole game for me and I just never felt like playing again.

So....did you get any or..?

I know its not the greifing thing, but the fact that some people are so EASILY greifed brings some games down. MOBAs are infamous for this, but it works in almost any setting. OH this guy isn't playing the way I want, *game implodes due to their efforts*. Ugh.

Only now are they really figuring out ways to get around this, but drat does it suck when a game is built like that.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Judge Tesla posted:

As a game build around teamwork and co-operation, L4D 1 and 2 are really, really prone to trolls screwing everyone over, all is takes is just to suicide yourself or kill a teammate since friendly fire is a thing and you may as well call it quits, especially on higher difficulties.

Either play it with friends or use the bots, even though the bot AI is well known to taking its time in saving you.

The ai was way op though. It was omniscient and could see in the dark. Where a player wouldn't be able to see you, the ai would start plinking you away from a huge distance completely ruining the game. And they never missed so if you were the zombies they'd just quickly pick you off/shove you off immediately.

If it was 3 humans and an ai, you would lose as infected since the ai was the perfect overwatch.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

Destiny was actually pretty solid at launch and it got terrible reviews because it didn't suck you off while you played and it wasn't as supposedly earth shattering as balding middle aged reviewers misremembered the original Halo.

The amount of content was pretty big even if you did end up going through a lot of it several times, and in any case it was deeper than the CoD style of grinding (where you just play multiplayer over and over with new guns) that nobody seems to have a problem with.

The one thing that sucked about it early on and still today is that the story is a needlessly cryptic wet fart told almost entirely through weapon descriptions and a companion smartphone app.

Destiny, like Halo, was and is garbage. Everything it does has been done better somewhere else and with less multi million dollar marketing in your face.

Grawr.

Hearthstone: God drat the game is fun, but I wish it wasn't so card dependent. I go in to play some of these matches and people are whipping out cards I have never SEEN before that just shut down my standard-deck-having rear end.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

I picked up Shadow of Mordor for the 360 the other day, and while I've grown to really enjoy it, there's a lot of technical stuff that's bogging it down for me.

First of all, it's clearly a next-gen game they dumbed down for those of us with old consoles. The load times are as annoying as they are frequent (MENU SCREENS SHOULD NEVER HAVE LOAD TIMES, DAMMIT), the FMVs stutter and flicker, the audio cuts out at odd intervals, and the FPS is less than stellar. I'll accept a little cut content here and there -- because there's only so much a 360 can do compared to a PS4/Xbone -- but there's no excuse for the game to look as muddy and play as shoddily as it does.

It puts me in mind of Sonic Unleashed for the PS2, which is about as damning an admission as one could make for a game.

Seconding Away all goats. I intentionally got it for PC once I heard they dumbed down the Nemesis system for the 360, and I only have a 360. They said they had to strip it a bit due to tech limitations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I always thought achievements were just light hearted and fun.

Then they added them to World of Warcraft and it clicked for me as to why they were so "important". People who had quit the game literally came back, paid $15 a month just so they could max out all of the achievements. I then knew that the achievements werent' for the players, they were for the developers.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tiggum is wrong to not understand how Dragonrend works. Like....its in the description.

But he's right that Skyrim does kind of fall flat. I thought it was great, I had a ton of fun with it. But about 80% through the game I was like "ok lets get this over with. Yes another dragon, oh noes. Whatever. Oh a bandit that does more damage than the dragon, thats nice...."

The game is GOOD, its just too FORMULAIC. Once you're about 50% through the game and discover dragons and the mage college you've pretty much done everything there is to do that is unique and cool. Which is honestly too bad because the game is a lot of fun before it wears off.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The dungeons aren't bad. The lack of theming and enemies made them suck. If i stumble upon a crypt on this far away mountain it shouldn't be generic. It should have a cool theme or puzzle. Certainly new enemies.

Also level scaling is mostly garbage. I can see certain encounters being scaled, but it should definitely matter if you're in an area a you shouldn't be in

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

What, if not the enemies, makes an area one that you shouldn't be in?

I'm saying enemies SHOULD do that, as the other poster mentioned. You shouldn't wander into an area that is the Headquarters of Major Evil Faction and be able to go toe to toe because of level scaling. This is the HQ, you're gonna get rocked unless you're high level. Same with a lot of other involved quests and stuff like that. Enemies shouldn't' scale, things should just stay where they are. I think Fallout 4 is going to do this where things scale in a certain range, so if instead of having the area enemies scale down to your level 5, it'll go from level 15 to 13, and no lower.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It'd make more sense if you could do something about it after letting them in and punish those responsible without being called "evil".

I mean the guy literally lied to you about his intentions, you should totally get to kick his rear end for that.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Strategic Tea posted:

Bourgeoise spotted :v:

Nah I remember I really wanted to let the ghouls in because gently caress the 1%. But that wasn't' carte blanche to just murder everyone. I mean I would have expected Tenpenny to get flung off the balcony, but the people that didn't know any better didn't deserve to get murdered.

Plus they just let a bunch of feral ghouls run around, what is the point of that? You may be a ghoul, but you're not THAT, why would you want that in your society? In every other part of the game those ferals need to be put down the same as deathclaws, but here they are your buds?

Nah. Was bad design imo and left a bad taste in your mouth after trying to do the right thing.

Edit^^^^^^ Post above this: I think FO 3was written when Good was obviously good, and Evil was Murderous Psychopath. I think Mass Effect did it much better. "Evil" wasnt' RAH RAH KILL EVERYONE, but more "This is the shortest and most direct path to my goals" which makes a lot more sense. In FO 3 the options are "Sure let me endanger my life for the 50th time" is good and "No thanks" is evil somehow.

Jastiger has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Oct 19, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Woolie Wool posted:

However, even they fall into another trap that seemingly every RPG with followers has--the fact that they always, always can be made to work together. Mass Effect does this, Dragon Age does it (except Loghain but even that's a really dumb choice because you hardly get to use him and there's absolutely no reason not to side with Alistair, it's a simple binary choice to swap Loghain in for Alistair, and Loghain is the secondary villain and a complete irredeemable cockgoblin), New Vegas does it, Skyrim doesn't need to because it's followers are nothing but mute pack mules but it drat well would do it if it had to. Why should every party member be able to get along? Why not have irreconcilable differences between some of them and you end up in a dilemma where every possible choice will piss at least one of them off. The Civil War thing is just dying for conflicts like this--being able to recruit multiple followers, and these followers each have their own opinions about the war. One way or another you're going to make an enemy out of a friend.

Baldurs Gate did this. If you didn't complete certain quests, or kept two characters together for too long, they'd fight each other and/or leave. It'd suck if you were power gaming and wanted to keep your Uber Wizard of Death, but sorry, shoulda thought about that before having the person he was contracted to kill as your backup character.

You should play Baldurs Gate.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Female character designs in Mobas.

It really really sucks having a really great game and the only choice for a female player character is tits mcgee. I wouldn't even be upset if there was only 2 choices for female characters and one was a knight in armour or something and the other was tits mcgee. But no, even the ones in armour have to have boob plate, high heels and some sort of spanx bottoms so you can see their rear end. Even the midget non-human types; nope, they gotta have sexy long eyelashes, perfect makeup and weird oversexualized bodies even if they're 2 feet tall gremlins.

There's a few good monster ones but they're usually like "oh no spooky spider mother" or "fat girl with big machinery" that are still strangely meant to be attractive. Just give me at least one that doesn't fall into this trap guys. One character out of hundreds, that's all I'm asking. Then they can be forgotten in a few months after the initial hype and you can go back to drawing titty monsters with bizarre anatomy wearing kpop outfits.

I think Windranger is relatively normal looking. I mean she's got boobs etc, but its a tunic and a weird hat with not a lot of skin showing.

Sorry I"m just trying to help and stretch to get it to fit your definition lol.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alaois posted:

I've never really understood the absolute undying hatred some people have for Little Lamplight but I'm not a socially crippled weirdo with an intense desire to murder children so maybe that has something to do with it

Well its pretty game jarring. Everything is hell in the wasteland. Bugs are huge, raiders are everywhere, and slavery is a thing.

And here is a known location with little defenses, but a good defensible position, full of rear end in a top hat kids. Why are they there? Why can't you kill or at least disrupt them? Why do you have to take their poo poo? Why can't I open this chest high door that they have? Its just video gamey and silly and completely out of place in a world ravaged by nuclear holocaust that the player is just rail roaded through.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

Complaint: so-called "realistic" FPS games just love creating bullet-sponge enemies. The Far Cry series is the top offender that comes to mind, but I've seen it in a bunch of other games. The Call of Duty series too. Every normal enemy can be killed with a headshot or a couple of body shots, but the dudes with machine guns are bundled up in body armor that can somehow absorb dozens of bullets.

If they want to play cartoonishly, whatever, that's cool. But if they're claiming realistic weapons/tactics (Modern Warfare I'm looking at you), there's no reason an enemy should be able to shrug off an assault rifle round to the forehead.

This is why you play hard core only.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I played the game and I don't feel it felt forced at all. I can totally see that kind of thing happening, and I'm sure it has happened in warfare and military operations. Hell, wasnt' there a story of an American trans person fooling their way through something back in like the civil war or something? I dunno, I could be wrong, but it didnt' seem out of place in that realm.

I think people were just looking for something to bitch about.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well I thought it made sense in DA:I because they were a mercenary group specifically because the Templars and regular military wouldn't have had Krem. That's why the story comes out the way it does, because they weren't accepted anywhere else.

Ashley pissed me off because she was a bigot and she still believed in Jesus. It makes me sad to think that Space Republicans were still a thing.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I actually square up the racism thing because of her history, that I get. The problem is the way they execute it in her dialogue. The fact that she saw them beneath humanity instead of enemies of humanity is what bothered me. As Shepards line in that conversation shows, most people understand WHY her grandfather had to surrender and most agreed that it was the right thing to do. The way she goes into saying that the aliens were just not up to human standards is what was stupid. They DEFEATED your grandfather. They helped build the ship. They were in space first. She sounds like a stupid conservative rear end in a top hat in the conversation.

And then yeah the religion thing took me out of the game a bit as well since..I mean its pretty clear that you're fighting aliens, malicious AI, and clearly have broken every rule that the bible said exists about the world...but no, we're going to talk about how real Jesus is on a ship floating in the darkness of space, light years away from where that myth originated, possible on through the use of unknown ancient technology, and we're going to say it with a straight face. Then we're going to talk about the best way to approach an alien planet with a monster infestation in the next breath.

Riiiiiigght.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I missed the Jecht shot in FF-X because I wasn't paying attention. I thought it was a silly cutscene then missed the prompts. Only later did I find out it was a devastating move in combat AND in blitzball. Curses.

Polaron posted:

It's worth pointing out that Ashley's predictions about how the Council would treat humanity were almost 100% correct: they did indeed throw humanity at the first big threat that reared its head and then ran away, thinking only of their races first.

Hell, they did that twice, between the Collectors and the Reapers.

And I remember some Bioware writer saying somewhere that her line about not being able to tell the aliens from the creatures was from an earlier version where there were alien pets on the Citadel, and said writer proceeded to post concept art of a random alien and went "Can you tell me right off the bat if this is a freighter captain or his pet?", which I think is the context the line should have stayed in.

As for you not liking her because she's a Christian, well...How dare the most pervasive religion on the face of the planet maintain some sort of grip like 30 years after our first contact with alien life? It's not like she's screaming about how the Reapers couldn't exist because the universe is only 6,000 years old, she just believes in God due to the beauty of the galaxy. What a weirdo.

I didn't know about the context of the pet thing, thats interesting. But she was right for the wrong reasons. She wasn't right because she was a good contributing member of the team with a chip on her shoulder,. She was just hateful and silly with her head in the sand regarding how the universe worked.

And yeah it IS weird to not even have been born on Earth (she was born on a separate planet, I thought) and still taking that stuff seriously.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

Is Mass Effect really the first story you've read where the writer tries to deal with religion in the context of space or another unexplored frontier or the (idea of the) existence of alien life? How?

e: Sorry I didn't see the new page.

Its the first one where they weren't the villain/laughed out of existence/feared for their dangerous religious ways. I mean poo poo, in Alpha Centauri, they were NOT nice people.

Suitaru posted:

Pretty sure the Jecht shot isn't missable. After you get the airship, if you take the boat ride from Kilika again, the cutscene replays.

Of course, that doesn't help if you want to have the Jecht shot available for that loving blitzball tournament...

Ah see, I didn't know that. I was playing it blind and never even figured you could get it then, and of course you're right. YOu miss it for most of the game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dragging down for me is that I haven't seen a sequel to THE World.Ends With You. Game Owned.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm playing Divinity: Original Sin for the first time now that there's the enhanced edition or whatever on PS4. At the start you create two characters instead of just one, and you can set one (or maybe both?) to have an AI personality during conversations, but if you choose not to, which is the default, you control both during conversations with each other. Which is great, and not at all what I'm complaining about.

What I don't like is that if they disagree on a choice, it plays this dumb rock-paper-scissors game where the winner of that wins the argument and their decision is the one that gets made. Which would be great for co-op, where one player controls each character, but if I'm playing solo and controlling both it would be great if I could just pick which side wins. I know I could just choose not to have them disagree but I'm one of those doofuses that likes to role play my characters in an RPG :saddowns:

Can you explain how you'd like the answers to be if they don't agree? This sounds like everything is working as intended.

Did they really give obama a copy of The Witcher?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It is kind of front loaded in difficulty and gets easier as you go along and learn more things about how it works. You really should do the initial town quests and then move on from there. The key to remember is that you are SUPPOSED TO CHEESE THE FIGHTS. If it seems lame, its by intention. You have to use your head and exercise some lateral thinking to get further in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Assassins Creed Syndicate: I can't install it because uPlay is loving dumb and won't let me in the account, nor send me a password reset link. gently caress uPlay.