Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Taeke posted:

Also, why is the first, smaller boss in Old Iron Keep so much harder than the second, more important boss?

The difficulty of Old Iron King is entirely dependent on how many times you accidentally roll into that one small hole that drops you into the lava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
There was a cutscene in the new Call of Duty towards the end of the game that required you to press a button to avoid dying, but it was just some indecipherable symbol and I absolutely could not figure out what the gently caress I was supposed to be pressing. Each time I would press whatever I could think of on the keyboard, die, then have to sit through the whole cutscene again up to that point. Gave up on it completely after about 10 times trying to figure out what to hit and haven't loaded it up since.

gently caress you game, just tell me to hit A or whatever.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Calaveron posted:

My following question is thus what does the Pope need bear teeth for

He's making his own mechanized suit like in that episode of Hannibal.

NoEyedSquareGuy has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Sep 8, 2014

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I was there for a while because I kept messing up and didn't understand what it wanted me to do.

I beat the entire game without ever actually figuring out how that mechanic worked. Every time it came up in a cutscene I just pressed buttons until it worked by chance.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

MindlessHavok posted:

Look at this screaming idiot that's never played the breath of fire games.

Not sure about the others, but the fishing minigame in BoF2 was pretty boring. Although, not nearly as boring as spending an hour having your village chef cook frisbee stew over and over so you could max your strength with every character.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Can't be any worse than Tetra Master or Triple Triad. In general, I hate all forced "optional" minigames. FF7 snowboarding game was atrocious.

Triple Triad is fine if you make sure to never import rules from other regions. Once you start having games that work on a combination of random/plus/same/combo rules you tend to start losing frequently when the computer pulls off some bullshit that flips the entire board in their favor on the final turn.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

princecoo posted:

In Arkham City I climbed up an elevator shaft, got into a fight with a couple of dudes at the top, then Batman slow-motion kicked the last guy straight down the elevator shaft. It was hilarious. Batman doesn't kill, but that guy? gently caress him specifically.

But yeah, he was unconcious too. Lucky son of a bitch.

I've been replaying the Arkham games recently and this sort of thing happens all the time when you're fighting people on top of buildings. There's supposed to be an invisible wall that stops them from getting knocked off the the edge when you're landing the final attack, but a lot of the time they'll die and then the ragdoll will slowly roll off the side and fall twenty stories onto the pavement. Also plenty of people that get knocked out and then roll into some water where they presumably drowned.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

"let me show you how to catch a pokemon." I'm good, I know what I'm doing with a pokeball.

Be sure to hold up+B+select while the pokemon is trying to get out.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Okay? Who the gently caress cares?

People failing over and over to make the same lovely jump to try and get an item, presumably.

quote:

They have bad controls for a first person shooter too!! :bravo:

Agreed, the bow and arrow controls are pretty bad as well.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Gotta remember, grinding that poo poo in FFX was the "cool" thing to do back then. This is the age of Everquest and intentionally hard games because hard=fun.

So hells yes I got all the summons and some of the legendary weapons in that game.

I beat the original US version of FFX about as much as possible, filling up the sphere grid for most characters and killing Nemesis in the monster arena. By that point you can kill the final boss by half-heartedly whacking him with Yuna's staff to do a 99,999 damage overkill. The "some of the legendary weapons" part of your post stands out the most since even though I did just about everything else, gently caress dodging the lightning bolts in the Thunder Plains to get Lulu's ultimate weapon and gently caress catching those butterflies for Kimahri's. Spending hours running up and down a single patch of land to catch 10 of the same dumb bird is nothing compared to the frustration of either of those.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

m.hache posted:

Kotr would kill the tentacles, then go back to the Ruby Weapon. You couldn't get 1 shot if you had 9999 HP and KotR would heal you to full. I just put my auto controller on and walked away.

Sort of like the Yiazmat fight in XII. The gambit system let you effectively program your characters to respond to any relevant scenarios automatically, so the way to beat the ultimate optional boss was basically to set up the gambit system in a specific way, start the fight, then come back about an hour later when it was finally dead.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Thoughtless posted:

RAGE. I honestly like(d) this game. The first half, anyway, after which it starts getting ridiculously repetitive. Hmm I wonder if this room will keep me locked in while a thousand mutants slowly crawl from every hole, requiring no effort to mow down. Oh, how did I guess? That's every third room in the game.

Still better than the driving sections and requisite town interaction stuff. RAGE would have been a much better game if it just focused on the shooting and hadn't tried to do so many things at once. If it was just a series of levels like Doom it would have been great since the gunplay felt really solid and they might have had more development time to give it a real ending.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The worst thing about the Batman Beyond skin in Arkham Knight is actually the cape. It has no cape when you're running around, then when you need to glide somewhere a tiny little cape will shoot out of a weird cape-box thing on his back. It looks completely ridiculous.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also, did they get rid of disarm and destroy?

No.

quote:

That was the best loving move, gently caress you Rocksteady.

UNCALLED FOR.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Some recent posts inspired me to play through Lords of the Fallen. While there are a lot of problems with the game, one stands out to me as particularly egregious:

LotF has an experience system that works on a basis of risk/reward. As you kill enemies you'll raise your experience multiplier gradually, and also have a limited amount of potions you can carry which can only be refilled at a save point. Save points are all over the place, but using one of them resets your experience multiplier, so you're incentivized to ignore them and go through as much of the game as you can manage before saving as a last resort. The first spell you get (at least as the default warrior/power magic user) is called Prayer, and spawns a decoy which stays motionless and distracts enemies while also gradually healing you when you stand close to it. The rate of healing is really slow, and the spell also uses up over half of your magic meter, which also refills really slowly.

What this means is that you'll never want to actually use your potions unless you're immediately about to die in the middle of combat. Instead you'll go through any given fight never using them while taking a few hits, then when all the enemies are dead you spawn your Prayer decoy and stand next to it for about 30 seconds while it slowly regenerates about 1/3 of your health bar. Then you wait for your magic to slowly regenerate again, then cast the decoy and wait another 30 seconds for another 1/3 of your health bar. You do this after just about every fight, and it's one of the most inadvertently tedious mechanics I've ever seen in a game. Unless you're really careful to never take hits from common enemies, you'll be standing still for 1-2 minutes after every single fight doing absolutely nothing.

e: As another small thing, I'm constantly pulling levers and having no idea what they actually do. Probably happened about five times so far, I'm guessing there are secret doors opening off in the distance or something.

NoEyedSquareGuy has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Aug 6, 2015

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I recently played through the game and inspired your post probably, and I never EVER used the magic healie thingie. That is so mind numbingly dull, you could have probably gone back and healed in the time it took your slow as hell magic meter to regen and your HP to regen. I would have quit the game even earlier than i originally did if I had done that.

So stop it, that isn't how it is meant to be played and isn't really necessary.

Yeah I've given up on it at this point. The multiplier doesn't advance fast enough for it to be worthwhile unless you could get it up to around 2x which generally won't happen. Also I've gone a long time without finding any weapon which does more damage than My Axe, so banking the extra experience seems kind of pointless anyway since it will just get dumped into endurance and strength to add minimal bonuses. It just seems like such an obvious exploit to miss from a game design perspective, but I suppose there's a lot of that in this game. Just cleared out the DLC area except for the endboss ayway, so I'm presumably close to the end of the game and the times I used the exploit haven't seemed to be worth it. Really there are just a lot of problems with the game and that seemed like one of the most clear examples to bring up.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I was actually convinced by folk in this thread to pick it back up. The stat bonuses are useful and you almost HAVE to use runes. I put in two poison runes in Scab and it trivialized most boss fights for me. It was like Teemo's poison shot, it did more damage through the poison DOT than me actually hitting them did. Was pretty awesome, really.

On that note, another thing bringing the game down is referring to putting runes in sockets as "crafting," and having no option to convert useless runes into experience or something similar. I've been using luck runes in my weapon since it showed the highest sheet damage increase, but I'll try the poison ones and see if that ends up being better overall since the text doesn't actually explain anything other than a generic statement that it causes a DoT debuff. A lot of descriptions are useless in that sense, as yet another complaint about the game. Especially the trinkets.

That's probably enough complaining about an old, subpar Dark Souls ripoff. Almost every aspect of the game has something about it that's at least a bit off.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Adding to things wrong with Lords of the Fallen, the last boss stands out. It's a big demon-looking thing that probably has some story significance, but I couldn't tell you what that is because the story is bad and I skipped over most of it. Combat in LotF is really clunky and there's not a whole lot you can do about it besides understanding which enemies are probably going to hit you during the course of fighting them and how much you need to heal to outlast it until the next checkpoint. In the first phase, the boss attacks really fast compared to other enemies so you have a tiny window where you can actually hit him without getting hit yourself. You'll likely take a lot of damage and use up a few potions during this phase, then when you hit him enough he'll jump up on the roof and summon a bunch of low-level enemies to fight and won't come down until they're all dead. While you're fighting these, he's healing himself while shooting lasers at you and there's nothing you can do about it. Since the combat is so bad, you'll probably be getting hit by the weak enemies multiple times as well as the lasers from the boss while whiffing your own attacks, ultimately taking too long and letting the boss heal too much, at which point he'll jump back down and you're basically back at square one but down a bunch of potions. The enemies summoned are the weakest, most predictable ones that exist but all the flaws of the game kind of come together to make it drat near impossible to deal with the situation.

I was playing the generic warrior class so maybe the faster characters can more successfully get some hits in without getting whacked a split second after, but the window seemed really small for the warrior. If anyone remembers the Theseus fight from God of War 2 where he's up on the roof shooting projectiles at you while you fight off waves of minotaurs, it's basically that only completely terrible.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Getting hit and whiffing your attacks is usually a result of you being bad, not the game being bad.

Usually, but in this case I feel justified blaming it on the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Depending on which shield enemies you're talking about, I could only figure out one reliable strategy for either. These are if you're using My Axe, which despite being found relatively early on manages to keep being way stronger than anything else you find for the entire duration of the game. This makes no sense at all since you can't upgrade anything beyond putting runes in sockets so generally new gear you come across is strictly better, yet My Axe does significantly more damage than the boss weapons and similar heavy weapons you find after it. Anyway:

- For the weaker shield enemies, run directly towards them and do a running attack. Their AI is dumb and will drop the shield to try and poke you every time, and will get 1-shot before the attack animation hits you.

- For the large knight enemies, back away from them until they start to charge. When they're a few steps away, hold down the charge attack so it hits them right as they drop the shield and they'll take damage and get staggered. Repeat until dead.

This is really, really boring but as you mentioned, every other attack straight up doesn't work against them. Either you cast Ram or Quake to do damage while ignoring their shield and then wait a really long time for your mana to regen, or you abuse the AI.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

This is kind of a minor thing to bring up about MGS5, but it uses SSAO instead of HBAO or any of the other ambient occlusion options. SSAO has always had a problem where it will apply itself too much to objects in certain circumstances and instead of just making something stand out more, it will have a huge aura of black fog surrounding it that looks like the graphics engine is suffering from some kind of severe glitch. I've never figured out exactly what causes it, but so far if I turn it on I've seen it happening on soldiers running around the mother base out in the open in broad daylight, as well as a few other cases. For every game that's ever used the feature I've ended up turning it off completely and I'm not sure why they're still using it in MGS5 when newer methods have fixed the problem and generally look better even without considering the glitch.

NoEyedSquareGuy has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Sep 11, 2015

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

When you extract a shipping crate in MGS5, there will be a second or two where Snake still pushes up against it even though it's floating in the air above him. Truly an immersion ruining oversight.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

They only notice the balloon extraction if it's in their line of sight.

In their line of sight, and no more than ~30 feet away from them. MGS5 has some of the most hilariously blind enemies in any game I've played, where it can be broad daylight with you standing right in front of them pointing a gun at their head and they'll still be in the phase where they're trying to figure out whether or not this should alert them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I haven't even played a bat man game and buff Hugo Strange bothers me.

I remember reading something about how everyone is absurdly ripped as a result of how the developers modeled everything in the Unreal Engine. Something about how the game is set up around the physique of the generic thugs you'll be seeing on a regular basis, so other important characters like Gordon and Strange end up looking like body builders as well.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

It's not the obscurity it's the "lol you opened a chest in one of the first areas of the game no super weapon for you". The Sunflower Sword is a better example where it is very deep in a chain of sidequests and takes a while to get but you aren't locked out of it because you opened a chest in the opening area of a Fainarau Fantaji game. It is also in XII if I did not make that clear.

Saying that The Sunflower takes "a while" to get is kind of an understatement. The giant orange box on that wiki page is all the bullshit you have to go through to get it, and amounts to hours upon hours of searching out rare monsters which most of the time won't even show up. You have to keep running in and out of specific areas until it actually shows up, then hope for the single-digit drop or steal rates to go in your favor. I got the Zodiac Spear because I generally check guides to see if there's anything that can be missed permanently before starting FF games, and there's no actual challenge to getting it once you know the gimmick. I never bothered with the Tournesol because even if you know exactly what to do, it will still take ages to actually acquire it because the developers felt the need to put an MMORPG-grade grindfest in a single player game for some reason.

This person wrote an entire guide just on getting the dumb thing and it apparently took three days.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Witcher 3

Two things:

1. Trying to run up the side of mountains in huge open-world games is usually janky, but Witcher 3 is probably the worst example I've played to date. In something like Skyrim or Far Cry 3 there are usually ways to bullshit your way up the side of a hill by doing weird jumps at odd angles until you eventually abuse the physics enough to get where you need to go. In Witcher 3 you can generally do the same thing, but Geralt seems a lot more prone to either refusing to jump on certain slanted surfaces, or going into "sliding mode" where you lose control and kind of surf your way back down to somewhere flat. This is exacerbated by the ridiculous fall damage, where Geralt will drop a few feet and die instantly. You can get around it using your horse for the most part, since if you can trick it into jumping off the side of a cliff you seem to be invincible as far as I can tell. If you've actually managed to scale a mountain that you're not really supposed to climb, trying to get down without your horse is usually suicide.

2. The inventory system is a complete mess. You have all sorts of crafting materials, but there's no real interaction between your list of supplies and the various smiths that actually craft stuff for you. If you're missing something, you have to make a mental note of what you need or pin the recipe to the side of the screen and then search things out yourself. Adding to this, a lot of the supplies themselves either require crafting, or can be obtained by breaking down things you already have into separate materials. It could really do with some sort of button that's a combination of "Craft this sword using whatever I currently have. If I don't have the specific ingredients, either buy them from the merchant I'm currently speaking to, craft them from other crafting ingredients I already have, or break down things I already have to make those ingredients." Instead you have to do it all yourself and it's a pain.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Weapon upgrades in Bioshock Infinite.

In the previous two games you would occasionally stumble across a weapon upgrade station, which would allow you to choose a single upgrade for any of your weapons. These did interesting things like make your rivet gun light enemies on fire, and would alter the model of the weapons to have a visual representation of the upgrade. In Infinite, this is replaced by vending machines which sell generic upgrades like more damage or increased clip size, and have no visual effect on the weapon itself.

Adding to this, you can only carry two weapons at a time now, and the story unfolds in such a way that partway through you travel to a different dimension entirely which has alternate versions of the weapons you've been using. This means that instead of using the machine gun you've had so far and upgraded a bunch, you have to start using the new, nearly identical machine gun and all your old upgrades are going to be useless because you won't be finding the original version much anymore. It makes you want to avoid upgrading your weapons at all since you're better off saving your money for vigor upgrades which won't get taken away at any point. I think the game would be better if they had just taken the route of letting you carry a bunch of weapons like in the other two instead of following the Call of Duty model.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Lack of a jump button is really not a problem because the game is designed around it.

I remember rolling off a cliff and dying once in Witcher 3 because a harpy flew too close to me while I was trying to make a jump and it switched into combat controls. It was a great game overall, but saying the combat is terrible doesn't seem too far out of line.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

You should be able to jump in The Witness. I've played far enough to know why you're not allowed to do so, but it's still unsatisfying when you hit the space bar and nothing happens.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

Yiazmat from FFXII is an infamous example. 50 million HP, and your damage cap is 9999 per hit. And when he's on his last life bar, he heal himself to full health once.

God drat, really? This happened when I was fighting him and I just assumed the game had glitched out or something because I'd ran back into the tunnel leading to the arena so I could heal. I'd already spent something like an hour watching my characters attack him on their own at that point, so I gave up and never finished the fight.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

When they all do that group song in dragon age inquisition I was more embarrassed then I've ever been before playing a video game. I'm not convinced they didn't make it embarrassing on purpose.

Haven't seen this, but have you ever played Devil May Cry 4? About half the cutscenes in that game are cringeworthy enough that I physically couldn't stand to watch them. Especially the scene where one of the main bad guys starts doing some sort of Shakespearean play type thing for no reason and good lord is it terrible.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

^^^^^
You can all think I'm wrong but this is literally the only place I've seen where it isn't unanimously agreed upon that the cutscenes in DMC4 are embarassing beyond what any video game has managed to offer to date.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

This is the most wrong opinion

Did you not see the scene when Dante unlocks Lucifer and does a flamenco dance out of demon crystal spears that turns a monolith into a giant stone heart that then splits down the middle? As a game it plays great, but I can't see how anyone can possibly defend the poo poo that goes on in the cutscenes in that game.

Nuebot posted:

Imagine if From Software, after releasing Demon's Souls, had listened strictly to the feedback from people who thought item burden was awesome and said "git gud" unironically and made their next game based around what those people liked. Because that's basically what happened to Darkest Dungeon. It was a fun game at first but now it's kind of bullshit because it's so determined by RNG that it's entirely possible to set out well over-prepared and just lose because the game decides you're not going to win and kill everyone off with surprise attacks and random events you have zero control over.

I played DD in early access some time right before they added the Arbalest and Houndmaster classes and it seemed like a good amount of fun. Then they kept patching it to add more and more bullshit and it was more or less unplayable last I checked. It wasn't even the damage or corpses or anything, everyone would just get too stressed out from every single thing and start going insane and killing each other or refusing to attack or dying from heart attacks. Some dumb zombie threw his drink at you and did 2 damage, it's not necessary for you to have a complete mental breakdown.

NoEyedSquareGuy has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Jun 23, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

3, the best entry in the series, was equally bizzare so as cliche as it is I guess you just don't "get" it :/

Agreed that 3 is the best, but it made more sense there in a way since Dante is younger and the cheese factor was never ramped up quite as high from what I can remember. I accept him as the cocky, eccentric character but there were a few times in 4 where it felt like they were trying way, way too hard.

Then the second half of the game is just running through the whole game in reverse but that's already been complained about endlessly.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Dead Space 2: You can't turn off the DLC in Steam. This wouldn't be so annoying, but it comes with every piece of DLC so as soon as you arrive at the first store you note that it's completely cluttered with DLC weapons and costumes with no way of getting rid of them. This also means that unlock progression and item drops are messed up for the entire game, since generally you would have to unlock schematics to buy pulse rifle ammo or whatever. Since the DLC pulse rifle is there already you already have access to buying ammo for it and all the enemies will drop ammo for weapons you shouldn't be able to access yet. Kind of messes up the early game when you really need to be getting ammo for guns you're actually using.

You can still play the original version without DLC by copying your Steam key and using it to install the vanilla game on Origin, but then you would have to use Origin.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Enter the Gungeon:

The RNG in this game seems balanced in such a way that you're much more likely to get hosed over than have a viable run. The layout of every floor is randomized, and generally contains 2-3 chests from what I've seen. The quality of these chests is also randomized and of varying quality, going brown-blue-green-red-black. The last few runs I've done haven't spawned anything above a green chest all the way down to the final floor, and that's on top of having to hope that the game gives you enough keys and ammo to be able to actually open the chests and use whatever weapons you pick up for any considerable amount of time. Brown chests generally aren't even worth opening, so over and over you end up on the lower floors trying to scrape by with either your terrible infinite-ammo starting gun or something roughly as useless since the game just won't give you a break for the entire run. I'm not terrible at this game, but trying to kill the dragon on the final floor with nothing but a rusty sidearm and a handful of shots left on a regular crossbow is really unforgiving.

Then on extremely rare occasions you get something absurdly overpowered from a black chest on the first floor which carries you through the entire remainder of the game. Roguelikes are generally difficult in similar ways, but this is the only one I can recall playing where you feel the need to run through first 2-3 levels using nothing but your starting pistol because the game is so stingy that you know you'll have to hold on to anything decent you find. The whole appeal of the game is that it has huge amounts of ridiculous weapons, and you never actually want to use them because ammo probably won't drop and you should try and save it for the harder stuff on a lower floor.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It used to be even worse, the game originally had no guarantee of even giving you keys so sometimes you just plain would not be able to open chests. They patched that so that you always get a median amount of currency and keys per floor... but since it's all based on averages you still get hosed out of chests and store items on the regular. I really like Enter the Gungeon but goddamn the developers have no idea how to balance anything

The other fix they put in is kind of janky as well. The store is now guaranteed to have at least one key in stock on each floor, but only if you haven't picked up any keys that have randomly dropped. This means that if one does randomly drop, you have to ignore it until you find the store, buy the key(s) there, then go back and pick it up.

Also the store can be locked on occasion, which is bullshit.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

CJacobs posted:

To discourage this behavior, there is also a character that steals anything that gets left on the ground except for hearts and then vanishes for some asinine reason. You can make him go away by catching him in the act and shooting him but then he just comes back no matter what and it's so stupiddddddddd

Hearts and keys at least. I think armor is exempt as well, but I never have any reason to leave it behind so I'm not sure on that. Would be nice if it would leave ammo as well, since there are a lot of times where ammo will drop on floor one before I've found any weapons and then the rear end in a top hat rat steals it as soon as I enter the next room.

Maybe I'm just bitching because I've been playing it a lot recently, but it's frustrating to have a really great game like this get bogged down by so many terrible or outright confusing design decisions.

e: Nope, he steals armor as well if you leave it for whatever reason. Only things he doesn't steal are health, keys, blanks, and hegemony credits.

NoEyedSquareGuy has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Aug 16, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Picked up Far Cry 4 since it was on a Steam sale a few days ago for $20, and one of the main things dragging the game down is the wingsuit. I love the wingsuit when I can actually control when it deploys, but there's sort of a finicky thing where you have to be jumping off a ledge over a certain height before the game will let you deploy it. This leads to two common scenarios:

1. You jump off a cliff so you can deploy your wingsuit and get where you're going. The game decides that the cliff wasn't high enough, so it doesn't let you use it and you fall to your death.

2. You sprint and jump over a small ledge trying to get away from something. The game decides that the ledge was high enough to deploy the wingsuit, and does so since you were already holding shift to run. The acceleration to wingsuit speed in nearly instant, so you immediately smash into something and die.

They really should have put it on a different button or something. The clunky way that it works has ended up killing me about as many times as the actual enemies, and jumping around on hillsides like an idiot trying to make the thing work gets annoying.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Xen Tricks posted:

Honestly I can't get that deep into it with BI because I played around an hour or two before I got fed up with the story and somewhat the mechanics. Basically though, there's the disconnect between DeWitt's horror and judgement towards the violent society of Columbia and the game just immediately forcing you into indiscriminately mowing down people. It just feels gross for it to try and be high and mighty while simultaneously giving you no option but "Kill all of those people now".

There's a scene before the first battle which establishes the society as a bunch of racists, so it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Then you start shooting at the revolutionaries trying to overthrow this highly racist system because they're obviously just as bad.

Someone have that Levine interview where he says about as much?

I recall the in-game reason being that you traveled to another dimension where you had already died and become worshiped as a hero figure for the revolution, so Fitzroy started trying to kill you because it would confuse matters if you were still alive. Then she starts killing white kids because all white people are the devil or something like that, and the revolutionaries are your enemies at that point. The Columbia soldiers are also still your enemies, so you end up killing everyone regardless of sides.

It's dumb, but at least has some hamfisted plot justifications instead of just making you kill everyone because the game has to have an enemy for the sake of there being something to do.