Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

eating only apples posted:

The worst chore. VLR's best feature is the flowchart that lets you skip to any point in the story you've already done.

The 'remember the safe passwords' bit was great for when I went for the gold files I'd missed (or where I'd fumble-stylus'd my way into getting a silver file instead)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

eddoghetto posted:

Just recently replayed God of War, and I got through like 90% of the game on Spartan difficulty. Then I kept dying on one of the platforming parts with spinning logs, and the game kept repeatedly asking me if I wanted to lower the difficulty because I was dying so much, and I accidentally said 'yes' without realizing it, and ended up saving right at the end of the game on the lower difficulty.

The only thing the difficulty affects is the combat, which I wasn't having any trouble with, and once you lower it you can't change it back without restoring a previous save or starting a new game. So after hours of playing on the hardest difficulty, I ended up spending literally less than a minute on the final boss of the game.

Why not let me change the difficulty to a harder mode during play? Or at least stop asking me if I want to switch to an easier one after I've already said 'no' like ten times.

B-b-b-b-b-but you might CHEAT on the game's PRECIOUS ACHIEVEMENT for beating the game on 1992 hardcore normandy beach volleyball mode, you can't expect the programmers to account for such a thing!

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

SpookyLizard posted:

People give you free money and you get mad? Free skill points and money to actually use them? You payday people are loving weird. No you just cant have fun! You have to earn it!

Getting your account banned is real fuckin fun.
Having to wait months for the company to reverse the hacked cash on your account (while keeping a close eye on your money so you don't spend any of it until they fix it in case you get penalised) is fun too.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
I've only watched my roommate play GTAV but wasn't it billed as a heist game? And the main story had 4 total (one of which you don't even get money from), and it STILL hasn't been patched into multiplayer like Rockstar promised at launch?

Basically if I'm going to be forced to watch him play a boring multiplayer mode it might as well be a heist.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

JebanyPedal posted:

Last I heard it hasn't, which is easily the most disappointing thing about the game. I wouldn't be surprised if they're keeping it saved for the next gen/PC release.

Or just a carrot on a stick they'll constantly use to keep players like my roommate hooked for an indeterminate amount of time on their crappy servers.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Tiggum posted:

Wait, killing the CEO sends the stock price up? How does that work?

Missing word. They meant 'buy stock in a rival company'.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

DrNutt posted:

Arguments from popularity are rarely worthwhile but lol at the people in this thread. GTAV and Max Payne 3 were garbage :qq: Dear god. Rockstar doesn't give a poo poo what nerds think about their games that earn them truckloads of cash.

The "PYF Completely Objective Facts about games" thread is thataway mate.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

RyokoTK posted:

That's probably because Civ has always referred to money as gold long before luxury resources were a thing, and what else are you going to call a generic unit of money that any nation can have? "Gold" is generic video game speak for money.

I require 5 Gilmunnyboondollars per monthtimeunitcentury or else I'll wage war on you.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Playcoins from the step counter are hosed too - you get one every 100 steps, that's good, promotes excersize.

There's a daily cap of 10 coins.

So when I went to Disneyland last year and walked 24K steps each park day I was pretty peeved.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I got Magrunner: Dark Pulse (Why do first installments have colons in their names? ) for free in a GOG sale and I gave up 45 minutes in for as it's really insipid. It turns out that a high-tech glove that push and pulls coloured boxes is a lot less sexy and rewarding than a gun that shoots portals. What killed the game for me early on was that between each level you're herded back in to the room you started in so a holographic NPC can blather inane exposition at you. Unskippable crap like this happening so frequently early on that the pacing is killed entirely.

So it's Qube but with boring exposition shoved in?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
My roommate was playing The Witcher 2 the other day and was playing the stupid poker dice game against this one rear end in a top hat.

Every time he won against him he would get told that he was lucky, but not lucky enough to gain a relic of the gods. He would then be booted out of the conversation and pushed back to the centre of the room where he'd have to walk back towards the rear end in a top hat, mash A to get back to the poker game and maybe lose again.

We had a couple theories going - 'maybe you're meant to have double the number of wins?' since he lost the first few times, 'maybe you're meant to become the town's grand champion first?' so he went off and beat another sidequest completely.

After going from 11-8 win/lose to 18-9 win/lose, the last attempt was 'maybe it's ten more wins than losses?'

After he wins again I search on my phone - it was a loving good old games ad that was never removed from the PC game after the promotion ended or removed when it was ported to the 360.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Tiggum posted:

No, it isn't. I don't even know what is supposedly so controversial about just wanting to get to play the game instead of having to gently caress around finding the actual game within the "world". I don't know how anyone can seriously argue for "there should be bits of the game that a lot of players will miss" because what the gently caress is the point of that? "Ooh, you know I am really enjoying this game, but I'd enjoy it a hell of a lot more if I got to play slightly less of it!"

I honestly don't know why everyone's jumping down your throat to be honest.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Anatharon posted:

One map that has no Nintendo themed areas and crammed full of tedious enemies that mean you'll never run into another player.

Uh, you realise the other players aren't even on the same map as you, right? It's all individual versions of the same map that each character runs through for 5 minutes before the 1 minute challenge at the end.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Sleepy Owl posted:

lol true but
I

Sleepy Owl posted:

my point is that i
used

Sleepy Owl posted:

usually talk to everyone anyway
to

Sleepy Owl posted:

in games like that even if they
be

Sleepy Owl posted:

dont have anything of "value" to say
an

Sleepy Owl posted:

some of the dialogue can still be interesting
adventurer

Sleepy Owl posted:

and talking to them

Sleepy Owl posted:

usually takes no time whatsoever
you

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
I'm not happy that even with More Options, killing a horseman in BoI:Rebirth doesn't give you your choice of Ball of Bandages/Cube of Meat, but instead gives you one and then a random item pool item for the second item.

It's going to be hellish to assemble a full meat boy or bandage girl at this rate.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Alteisen posted:

You'd think there be something programmed into the game that would assure you get the next piece, so if you got the bandages then every horseman piece is another bandage thing.

If this was a dig at me, good job - I looked it up just now and it's indeed the case, so I must've already had a Cube of Meat on the run where I got the Cube versus the Belt with More Options.

I mean you still need to fight a horseman on every single floor before the womb2 to get the meat boy and bandage girl achievements so it's still fairly bullshit.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Who What Now posted:

That actually sounds like a ton of work to get money in a game where money becomes trivial in the first few hours of playing so I'm legitimately confused why anyone would actually do this.

You can buy savepoints for nontrivial amounts of money in that game so it's kind of useful to get those early on.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Xander77 posted:

How would you sa-
Huh. I don't remember that being a thing. Where, how?

That's what buying houses is for. Each house has a save point, and a closet (to play dressup) inside and some have garages to store houses.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Detective Buttfuck posted:

The lack of customization in Gat Out of Hell is a big bummer as well, but i think the biggest let down is the removal of the radio. SR4 did it right by letting you play it anywhere and they've stripped it entirely.

My dress up game where I can occasionally shoot people got rid of the dress ups? gently caress. Can I still at least turn into a golden goddess?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

RBA Starblade posted:

And if you didn't keep the game on overnight after a certain point to amass enough money you got the bad ending. Doing every other thing I possibly could I was something like six hours of idling short. Fable 3 was a mess.

More like the game intended for the only way to get the good ending would be having to stoop to being the 'evil queen' just like your brother to fill up the royal coffers but left in the rental mechanic.

Maybe that's why the last jump was '128 days left' to '0 days left ending time!', to curtail that?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

scarycave posted:

Speaking of Smash, I miss Smash Run. Or any form of an adventure mode. The gameplay actually works well for a decent side-scroller, beat 'em up and its a shame they haven't done anything with it in U.

When I finally got my tax return and bought my wii u I was so excited to get a fullscreen smash run and to use my DS as a second controller.

Finding out I had to get extra controllers for anything not the basic smash mode AND that the smash run equivilent is a lovely gameboard with no sidescrolling just... ugh.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Holy poo poo is Xenoverse heavily RNG based. I just want to get some stupid outfits from the dragonballs I don't need both a random chance for the Time Patroller to show up AND a random chance for them to drop a bloody dragonball to gate me getting to play dressups. :(

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

DoubleNegative posted:

Piccolo's outfit specifically requires you to grind the easiset sidequest in the game. You have to beat up Yamcha, Tien, and Krillin and hope you satisfied enough of the optional objectives for Piccolo to spawn. Then it's straight rng whether or not you get a piece of Piccolo's outfit, and more rng if it's his turban instead of his chest armor.

The dragon balls are for filling out your character roster, getting stat respecs, and also new abilities I believe. Could be wrong on that last one.

money, unlocking the extra save slots (loving lol), go up a level (apparently good at higher levels), unlock one of 3 wish-only characters, unlock wish-only clothes, reassign attribute points, redo character creation (you have to stay the same species and gender, might do this because majiin female voice 3 is way too sexual and gross when doing a throw)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

YggiDee posted:

You don't get save slots from the dragon balls, you unlock them all at once from beating the main plot. Your equipment, money, skills and whatnot are shared character-wide, and levelling is incredibly fast once you have the right quests unlocked. If you're that unhappy with your character, it might be better to make a new one and powerlevel to where you were before, rather than use a wish or two on respec+appearance.

*shrugs* I'm happy with my character it's just the extra clothes I'm after, I'm just saying that locking save slots is bullshit.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Boopts indeed.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
I think the 'who cares if it curves' was in response to the 'spherical looping world maps would need an obvious curve' thing.

Personally i want to see an open world game that is a torous (inside of a donut) which is how games like Chrono Trigger's world map would actually look in 3d.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

umalt posted:

I was about to write a giant effort-post about reward-systems vs. role-playing, but ultimately the point is one that it's impossible to satisfy everybody in a system that's as rigid as a video game. The only real way to add a satisfying way to end a quest like Tenpenny Tower is to give an option to go "gently caress this, gently caress you, I'm going home" whomever gives you the quest. Which would then remove the quest from your log, and maintain the world's status-quo.

Wasn't it a glitch that the 'good' ending just like... hosed up and gave the 'you didn't convince the ghouls enough' ending instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Judge Tesla posted:

There are some really creative levels out there its just a shame they are being buried under Kaizo Mario poo poo, still, I am having fun tinkering around with my own creations.

Are there any good auto-running levels? I always want to see some of those crazy things like 'don't stop me now' made in Super Mario World or that one like 11 minute long anime song.