Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Morpheus posted:

I was pretty happy when I finished White Palace (not to be confused with the fast food brand), but didn't find it as hard as people made it out to be, except for one or two particularly irritating places. It definitely helps to have the hive blood on you - I have no idea where you spawn if you die and I'll be damned if I was to find out.

But yeah, there were a surprising number of 'checkpoints' throughout, places where you appeared when getting hit by spikes or blades or whatever.

That said, it's annoying that they put this heavy platforming area in a game that hasn't had anything quite like that (certainly nowhere near that level of frustration) in it before. Should've been more fighty, less jumpy.

I've tried every trick that everyone's told me about that section and I still can't beat it. I've managed to do a lot of the other challenges (finishing the Colosseum, the flower delivery run) and the difficulty on them was fine, but this challenge feels almost self-contained. There's nothing nearly as demanding before it, and I'm not absolutely sure what's between WP and the final boss, but I can't see there being anything more challenging after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

CJacobs posted:

You gotta be real impatient to consider a game's ~cinematic intro sequence~ to be the entirety of your first impression on it.

If the whole thing is wank, sure. I didn't even play the ~cinematic intro sequence~ to RDR2, just watched it on Youtube, and I didn't even bother watching more of the gameplay because the ~cinematic intro sequence~ was fuckin dull dogshit. I also put down Darksiders 2 before the end of the ~cinematic intro sequence~ because it made me play through it in the wrong resolution and aspect ratio as well as without subtitles, and that sequence is about 10 or 15 minutes long.

Also MGS5 was mostly unsatisfying anyway and they didn't finish the game so I quit when they started recycling missions.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Vic posted:

An older gripe but I wanted to play Unreal Tournament but it took ages to load

I tried playing Unreal Tournament not long ago but the only people playing anymore are so high above my skill level that there's no point even starting.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Not if you're bored by it and feels it takes time, which is the problem food court was describing. At no point beyond getting waved at by your neighbor does the game guide you towards talking to people. If you run around and explore you get shiny rupees with reward sounds, if you talk you get nothing. The shopkeeper is the only NPC that rewards you for talking and the NPCs that you actually need to talk to all block your way.

The game guides you towards talking to people by making you talk to Saria right outside your house and talking to Mido to get past him, even if you did somehow figure out all on your own that the goal was to grind out 40 rupees to get a shield. Also the game makes you talk to the girl on the roof of the shop and actively pulls your attention towards her when you get near her. You're talking out your rear end, dude.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

The only time fishing has ever been tolerable in a video game is when it can be ignored entirely and I never have to interact with it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Honest question, what sort of role playing game doesn't have enemies fighting you a lot? The only one where I distinctly remember you getting more XP from Doing Stuff than Killing Stuff is Planescape Torment, but given that it's Planescape Torment, it's hardly the achetype of what decent RPGs do.

The level scaling / build creation quirks weren't an Oblivion Problem, they were a Dumb Player Problem. Congrats, you made a character that can acrobatically dance around and speechcraftify someone's pants off, only to die by a errant wolf. That's not a problem with the game, that means the system is working correctly.

Related content: I know it's low-hanging fruit, but man do the faces in Oblivion suck.

There's plenty of combat in it, but iirc the first Deus Ex didn't give you any skill points for combat. All the points were gained from either finding secrets in the levels or from completing objectives.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Halo: Reach has so many little things dragging it down that I just can't finish it. Like, okay, it's a slower paced game with a far higher TTK than Doom, I can get that. The vehicle controls suck. You can't look around while driving. It's like no one's capable of doing a drat shoulder check. I just want to be able to look around and see if I'm about to get hosed up by something coming up behind me. Getting forced out of zoom by getting shot is irritating. Mouse 1 dropping the flag in CTF instead of swinging it to hit people is a pain in the rear end. The big dudes with the cannons that fire green poo poo that show up in the Sword Base fuckin suck to fight. I used up pretty much all the ammo on the stage and they still didn't die.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Play it with a controller? You can look around in the vehicles.

Hit the Hunters in their Orange bits. Sniper rifles and rockets work best but the DMR and Shotgun will do if you care to dance.

Playing an FPS with a controller feels like dogshit. I'm not doing that.

Edit: also the UI in the game loving sucks. The prompt to search for players is three menus deep with no signposting, the "Change Teams" button is also in that same menu for some reason (while the icon that says "You are on RED TEAM" that could easily open up that menu does nothing), half the buttons don't look like a button, things that do look like buttons aren't buttons, adding players to your friends list is a goddamn trial, and the map and game mode selections aren't drop down menus, even though you can have a shitload of maps installed. Good lord.

Inco has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Dec 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

The Skull guys only get worse the further you go in the game, culminating in Metallic Archaea where you actually have to kill the fuckers and it takes goddamn forever and the entire game becomes a wet fart shortly thereafter anyway.