Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The worst part about Super Mario Deathmatch is that the people you are trolling are in the same room with you and therefore in a position to beat the hell out of you after you gently caress with them too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Mean Sonovabitch is reason enough to visit westside. There's some decent quests there otherwise too for such a small place. The office park on the other hand? I had no loving clue about that place until a couple hundred hours sunk into the game.

And I love Arcade but I don't know if you can say you really ever "help" the guy. He ends up at least somewhat unhappy in every single ending, that poor idealistic bastard. :unsmith:

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Throw three more vaginas on that thing and it's a solid silent hill monster.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Oh man I'm hulking out except my hulk has a lot of things to say about video games.

I guess I'll bring up the fact that I really love the JESawyer mod for New Vegas, but it makes taking alternate paths and shortcuts to Vegas nearly impossible as a side effect of making things harder and more strategic at appropriate levels.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Virtual people aren't real and should be epicly owned on the regular. It's not just a right... it's a duty as a gamer. :twisted:

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I have been writing countless letters to video game devs about the inherent unfairness of exploration and discovery being a major part of modern video games but nobody seems to be listening. They keep releasing things like open worlds and dynamic content and branching storylines, and it is all I can do to huddle in the corner with a copy of a corridor shooter clutched firmly in my grasp, praying for a linear path out of this hell that man has created.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Byzantine posted:

If you go before the mid-twentieth century, nobody's ideals applied to most of their populace. But no, Rome's slave population was about 10-15% of the whole.

Don't mistake me for whitewashing the Empire, but you can't deny its culture and legal influence. Emperor Justinian's Codex is the basis for Western law, their infrastructure still crisscrosses Europe after two millennia, and one-and-a-half billion people worship in Rome's church.

The Legion has nothing even slightly like that, it's just all stabby rape dickheads all the time, and that blows.

Its a legion, not the empire. And not the republic. Caesar planned on conquering the republic (wink nudge), and then proper civilizing would fall into place.

Alternatively, the legion got shafted in the writing department due to time restraints, but they're still a military occupation. Being in an area Rome wanted to make a province wouldn't exactly feel like a high point either.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

This is true of pretty much every open world RPG Bethesda has ever made though. In fact it's usually good advice because the main quests are generally not the greatest (yes I'm including New Vegas).

New Vegas' main quest is good, though. It doesn't railroad you, actually engages with other sidequests, and offers you opportunities to go gently caress around a little without feeling like an idiot.

Not to mention the fact that your motivations for going to New Vegas and tracking down Benny are largely for you to decide, be it for revenge, curiosity, or just to finish the delivery job that he rudely interrupted.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

If you get the Kings to make peace with the NCR and side with Mr. House, he will kill them to the last man despite the fact that they have stabilized the slums he has neglected for his overarching goals.

There is a bunker of fairly well equipped but largely outmatched cultists known as the Brotherhood of Steel, and if you want to play House's game, you have to kill them to the last man because they could possibly pose a threat. Somehow.

I mean, don't get me wrong, House is a smart guy and knows exactly what he's doing, and he's not really different from anyone who's ever been in power ever, but it's easier to have a problem with the "breaking a few eggs to make an omelette" philosophy when it's being imposed by a single technocratic capitalist overlord.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Byzantine posted:

The BoS is fundamentally opposed to anybody but them having Pre-War technology, and House is nothing but Pre-War tech. Vault 21 is dug under the strip and a potential weak point into House's bunker. The Kings being allied to NCR puts the Republic in control of the way in to Vegas.

The brotherhood only cares about advanced prewar weapons, and even then they are a neutered force that looks to be going the way of the remnant due to their conservatism and recent defeats thinning their numbers.

Mr. House is willing to oppress and destroy whoever it takes to fulfill his vision of humanity's future. Whether you think he's capable of pulling it off, think his ends justify his means, or you're comfortable with one man having all that power is entirely up to you, but the guy does some unsavory things.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The breaking point for me with Mr. House is really that its Brotherhood genocide or nothing. Now, if I knew that up front, I'd be slightly less aggravated, even though new Vegas is usually really good about having multiple ways of dealing with problems. But the quest to do so only comes after you reach the point of no return with the NCR and the Legion, which is lovely.

There's no talking it over with Veronica, no exploring different ways to make the Brotherhood not a threat. Your choices are boiled down to "do I kill them by destroying their bunker, or do I kill them all by hand", and you don't even get to see what kind of deal the NCR will make for you instead because they've blacklisted you at that point.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I actually kind of like that about it to be honest.

House has had a while to watch them and has decided that their goals are simply mutually exclusive and it is pretty true given how the Brotherhood is about pre-war tech. In real life there's no pleasing everybody. Now, if there was some way to scare them off or a non-lethal approach to getting rid of them it wouldn't be a bad thing either.

That's the thing. You're House's right-hand man. In a game with enough dialogue options that you might not even see a lot of them in multiple playthroughs, why is there no giving House some kind of ultimatum? Lord knows the man is pragmatic enough to understand that he doesn't want another Benny on his hands, especially one that has proven to be much more sturdy, resourceful, and deadly.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

2house2fly posted:

They took it out to make the choice more difficult to make, and because the point of giving you a choice is neutered when you can just do anything you want.

If this is true, shouldn't the quest come before Don't Tread on the Bear (and the legion equivalent)?

I'm not saying there should be a speech check to make House fall in love with the brotherhood, but having some kind of alternative option with appropriate and likely complicated consequences would be nice. Or at the very least, don't make me load up a previous save because you locked me out of two other factions because I'm not psychic.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Every game would be made better if it gave you the ability to make your main character a mongoloid bart simpson approximation, imo.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

On the one hand I don't want to say that you can't prefer Bastion over Transistor on a technical or storytelling basis, but on the other hand I think if you are going to play one, you should at least make a token effort of appreciating the other. They're wonderful companion pieces, and while they follow some similar rhythms, the ways they contrast against one another seem very deliberate and important.

Bastion is all about war and industry and race, and the gameplay is fast and kind of brutal with all sorts of guns and spears and cannons.

Transistor is all about social engineering and art and culture, and combat involves sitting down and planning things out and trying all sorts of different combinations of things with a weapon that is frequently described as a paintbrush.

I get not liking the story or gameplay, but if you already own the games, play enough of each to appreciate how they at least tried to tie the narrative and mood in with the actual gamey bits while making both (arguably) good.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Doesn't help that Obsidian's ways of 'dealing with' rape and genocide are using them to show Caesar's Legion are cartoon bad guys with the subtlety of a sledgehammer

Corporal Betsy's brief sidequest is some pretty sensitive, well-written poo poo.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Everyone has different tastes in the tone of their stories. I'm sure he'll have much more fun in Fallout 4 when we go to Nuke York to fight more dumb super mutants and stop another chapter of the enclave from unleashing a nuclear virus.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

The thing I hate about the first person Fallouts is that intelligence is so good any character that doesn't invest heavily in it is practically a gimmick run. I guess it makes sense from an RP perspective because being smart IS useful, but making your build points dependent on it seems kinda stifling.

You can do just fine with 4-6 intelligence in the newer games, although you might not wind up a scientist doctor sneakthief armsmaster with enough points in survival to make yourself a nice salad.

With the isometric fallout games if you took less than 10 agility, you were gimping yourself if you ever intended to do anything combat related.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

New Vegas has the opposite issue, where the ranger armor used on the cover and in all the promos is high-level faction armor that's really rare and then when you finally encounter it most playthroughs will be unable to actually get any practical use out of it because it's flagged as an NCR disguise.

You can get it pretty easy by doing NCR quests which are heaped upon you by the dozen in the early game.

The real challenge is trying to get a ranger sequoia without killing the ranger it belongs to.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I never got one signed "ghost " but I definitely had some from people that I killed.

One of the things I didn't like about the new Fallouts was that Wild Wastelands and Bloody Mess were perks. Those should just be options in a menu, not something you'll have to sacrifice perks for.

Wild Wasteland is a trait, which was a thing in the original fallouts, and seperate from perks.

Bloody mess could have been popped back into its former spot as a trait though, I guess, since perks are a bit more valuable in New Vegas and +%damage is boring unless it also makes you gay.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Ashley's daddy issues are way more interesting, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think it's the fact that she was featured prominently on the cover art and her special skill is supposedly "leadership" when she's really lackluster and uninspiring.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

TopHatGenius posted:

The one thing that is really dragging down FO4 for me is that if you leave your Power Armor unattended your own followers can hijack it. It happened once while I was fighting some really overpowered nasty and gently caress get out of my ride!

Now I just remove the Fusion Core whenever I park the armor that isn't in a power armor station. It's like taking the keys to my car.

Amazing. Fallout 4 continues to be the best game that I can't stop complaining about.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

They should have gone full sims and let you smooth out terrain.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Its Bethsada not giving a single gently caress, the entire game is filled with moments that just feel like Beth didn't give a gently caress in many aspects, its pretty clear they don't have the slightest idea why people liked New Vegas so much.

It uses the SPECIAL system purely for stats, not for roleplaying. I've... I've come to terms with this.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Fallout 4 is a drat fine sequel to Fallout 3 (with all the damning praise that implies), but the introduction made me think it was going to be worse than it actually is.

New Vegas opened with sociopolitical intrigue regarding a frontier-turned-warzone, and ended with some fucker shooting you in the face. Then it woke you up and patted you on the rear end and said, "go find some answers, skippy!" Holy poo poo, I was invested.

Fallout 4 opens with "Hey remember this cool stuff from the other Fallout games?" played on fast-forward, and dangles a missing baby in front of you as a plot motivator despite the fact that you'll probably forget his name after your fiftieth hour of digging through the ruins of Boston for old coffee mugs to build your ramshackle empire.

It took a few more hours of gameplay and some more interaction to realize that the writing isn't too terrible. It's not good, but there's some okay stories and half-decent characters in there to help lubricate your time exploring rooftops and sniping giant mosquitoes.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

What dragged down New Vegas was that they removed the only ending that made sense, given the amount and quality of motivation it was capable of generating about the city.

There should have been a "gently caress this, I'm going home" ending allowing you to leave at the NCR checkpoint on the edge of the Mojave.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

None of this matters one tiny iota because the actual thing dragging Fallout 4 down is that you can't pet your dog, or even tell him that he's a good boy.

Dogmeat can fetch me the paper, but there are no slippers for him to retrieve. Game is poo poo.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Like, I know you all think you can complain about fallout 4, but if you think you can out-insufferable me regarding this fantastic and lovely game, let me just go ahead and cut you off at the pass with a Star Trek analogy.

Fallout 3 is The Next Generation. It's been years since the original stuff came out. It's clunky, and the world doesn't quite make sense if you take it as a whole, but that's okay because it's really a series of loosely-interlocked vignettes. Some writing is okay, a lot is bad, you get a few gems, and some charming characters here or there.

Fallout New Vegas is Deep Space Nine. It's not perfect, and in fact there are some deep flaws, but the more you engage with it, the more you begin to appreciate it for the cohesive narrative and worldbuilding. Black and white morality takes a backseat and characters have to make complicated decisions in a hostile world full of scared people, and just about everyone has some kind of identifiable motivation. Ultimately it couldn't have existed without TNG, but it is arguably more beloved now that time has passed and people come to appreciate its staying power. Also Odo is Mr. House.

Fallout 4 is the J.J. Abrams movies. More polished. Flashier. Easier to eat popcorn to and just kick back and let it soak in. They take us back to the chronological "beginning", but to very limited effect. Ultimately it becomes an excuse to retread familiar icons, but does not make any focused effort to actually engage the interesting themes behind them. You kind of get the feeling it would be better if it didn't have the franchise glued to it. Character interactions are largely pointless, but who cares? Pew pew.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Geniasis posted:

At least you have something in common.

Re: Fallout; is the gameplay fun? Because I can deal with a hamfisted plot if it's fun.

If you like Fallout 3, Mass Effect, and town building games, you're in for a treat.

Everyone in Fallout 4 knows everyone's name, psychically. Why am I addressing the butcher lady by name when I hit E? How the hell does Nick Valentine know that I have a dog???

Oh and then Nick talks about Piper like you don't know her.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Rex has a fascinating backstory, but being a dog he can't tell you about it, and ED-E gets so many upgrades over Rex that it's obvious who's the more useful non-human companion.

On the other hand, I've never seen anyone try to take a tin can opener to Rex because he was carrying delicious sugar bombs in his rear end compartment.

And you can pick out which adorable doggy brain you want to put in his head. :3:

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Sure it matters. The reasons for NV's love here is identical to why DS9 and FR are loved: adding Quality Points (for lack of a better term) to something not-that-great because the rest of the audience didn't find it all that good.

Why like New Vegas? Because Fallout fans in 2015 really liked Fallout 3 and 4.

I personally have distilled contrarian spitefulness pumping into my veins like Bane with his Venom tanks, except instead of making me super strong it's making me a weak little bitch that posts on an internet forum???

Oh well, time to play and enjoy video games for the wrong reasons.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Are we talking about the opening cinematic? Because I'm not sure if I remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I was very confused too, mostly because it sounded half-plausible. If there is anything you can point at being bungled in New Vegas, The Legion is at the top of the list.