Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2 recently added the ability to toggle a knife to enable it to kill in one hit.

Of course, this doesn't apply to all the knives in the game. Nope it applies to only one new knife that you either have to unlock with certs or buy with cash. Effectively making me wonder why the gently caress I got the 2 year anniversary knives or the Live event knives or why I should bother unlocking an achievement based knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14: Cross class best in slot gear, normally I wouldn't care if I could have one suit be the best item for multiple classes cause then I don't have to go out and unlock and make space for multiple bits of gear.

Except that I can't make 2 classes look different, and the gear is generally "unique" meaning I can't get a second set to make look different. Without intentionally downgrading gear on one class I can't differentiate my barbarian-esque warrior and knightly paladin for example.

The smallest of things, but I want to play dress up

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Byzantine posted:

You can! Once you hit lv50, there's a quest to unlock the Glamor system, where you can make any item look like any other (as long as your class can wear it).

Oh I know about the glamor system, my issue is glamoring equipment that is used across different classes. For example, I have (minus raiding) the best body armor that scholars and white mages can use. However since the armor is unique I can only have just one of that armor, and if I want both classes to be in top form they'll both look the same. I can't say have my scholar look like a book nerd and have my white mage look like the traditional Final Fantasy white mage since the looks are shared between classes. Making glamors be class based would fix this.

Or a sorta better example is that I have the pants that are best in slot for all 8 crafting classes, if I make it look one way for one class it'll look like that for the other 7. Though that armor isn't unique iirc so I could in theory get 8 sets of those pants, but that isn't the case for all the combat gear.

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, it would be nice if games didn't lock single player stuff behind multiplayer as a rule, because I'd like to be able to come back to stuff when this stuff stops getting serviced in 5 years.

This is why I'm disliking online components effecting single player things, cause the developer WILL flip the switch at some point and stop supporting it, and there you are hosed with your purchase. I know my car wont last forever, but at least the maker wont arbitrarily run up to my driveway, rip out the engine and go "It was a good run but I don't support this anymore, feel free to buy the newest model!" then run off.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think its the one where Ocelot starts fondling Eva.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shadowrun Dragonfall: Man the AI really likes to go for the player character don't they? A lot of fights I'm often making my main character haul rear end after the entire enemy group focuses on him, sometimes he flat out gets incapacitated before I get my first turn cause often the enemy makes the first move. This has a side effect of my melee companion a murderous force cause the AI wont attack her, they go for me. I can't see their chance to hit, but I'm sure my guy in the far back in full cover is harder to hit then the woman with claws currently gouging their eyes out.

It got really dumb in a fight where I released some basilisks from their cage that proceeded to run past the enemy to beeline towards my character.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14: The materia meld failure animation. It takes like 3 seconds, happens every time, trying to move or do anything to cancel it doesn't work. SE, I just watched 250 grand blow up in my face, that 3 second animation is just rubbing my face in it.

And when every meld after the guaranteed slots has a 65% chance of failure, and ramps up to a 78% chance then an 86% chance of failure... I don't need to see it 80 times in a row.

EDIT: Actually I timed it. It takes almost 6 seconds. 6 loving seconds, every single time you fail a meld at 65%+ rate. 6 god drat seconds sitting here, watching my money vanish, I have to sit here and watch my character mope for 6 god drat seconds. I spend more time watching my character shake their head then I do actually doing the meld.

Leal has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Jan 5, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

a kitten posted:

Hahaha, I'm laughing because that's just terrible as hell.

Really everything about highend crafting and gathering drags the game down for me. Too much money and too punishing with failure rates; I love almost everything about the game, so it's a bummer that the crafting poo poo seems so mired in old, lovely game design.

Even fishing which I completely enjoyed leveling up to 50 went from a fun thing to do to "holy poo poo you need me to spend how much gil and do how many HQ double-leeches" to keep going. Oh well, just gonna set my sights a lot lower and very gradually and half-assedly work on it from here on out.

Whats really great is that even after investing all that money and time, then you have to deal with the turbonerds who have long since had everything maxed out and watches the market boards like a loving hawk, so you have to deal with them constantly undercutting you (at no penalty too, you can put an item on the market for free. That needs to be changed cause low effort undercuts like pricing 1 gil lower then you is rampant). Even better is that items you craft will have your name on them, so if you try to undercut someone you just might start getting harassed over it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

I've heard of this thing online games use called 'Ignore' where you can just add someone to a list and you don't get their messages. Is FFXIV so obtuse that they don't have an ignore function in their game?

I shouldn't have to be harassed in the first place.

EDIT: Hell, thing dragging every MMO down: The inability to filter whispers to only friends or guildmates. A lot of nerds have lovely things to say, I'd rather not be subjected to them at all.

Leal has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Jan 6, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, Pazaak sucked.

19, guess I'll stand

*AI gets a natural 20*

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: The intentional 3 or 4 second delay between entering a vehicle/changing seats and being able to exit/swap to another seat. If I jump into my vehicle and really need to get into a gunner seat I have to wait, it gets so bad that constantly mashing the key will result when I finally get into the loving gunner's seat I will get a notification that I want to trade seats with myself. Or if I jump into my vehicle and something happens that if I don't get right the gently caress now, cause SOE can't balance for poo poo and just makes everything die really easily so they don't have to deal with balance, I can't no matter how much I mash the exit vehicle key. Nope I have to loving wait 4 seconds, good thing every single vehicle in the game can die in a quarter of a second!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Pretty sure that's not intentional, Emerald has just been laggy as gently caress today (/this week?)

It really feels like something coded in the game, its always consistent and has been annoying me for years. Just when I first started playing I eventually stopped with vehicles all together, then recently started playing Connery where its possible to use vehicles against the near bot like playerbase and trying to jump from driver to gunner to driver again leaves me sitting there for a few seconds unable to do anything.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

MMORPGs are universally loving bad games and I wonder if gamers at large are starting to catch on to that.

Don't hold your breath, long grind times and being completely hosed by the RNG is still strong in MMOs. Hell if you read the FF14 forums (don't) there are a ton of nerds who want things the old way when the game was even more grindy and spergy, and even the players who aren't suffering stockholm syndrome from 1.0 went and outright boo'd the head guy on stage for announcing he was making some of the raids easier

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Even better was that Exile's entire crew loving hated one another. The only ones who didn't were the robots and Bao Dur (as in the robots to Bao, the robots hated eachother)

My downside for KOTOR 2: A game with great writing for your companions and Bao Dur is just completely forgotten about past his introduction. You can turn him into a jedi which feels completely unexpected and in the end he.. I guess dies? I don't know, he is never heard from again. Though that can be said about the rest of the crew, minus Mira

VVV That too, it being unfinished. loving Christmas release dates, I feel sorry for Obsidian, they're constantly getting shafted (See New Vegas)

Leal has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jan 21, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: The game really likes to not show your friendlies on the map in the bigger fights. It seems to be fine with showing the 80+ enemies on your map, but you might see maybe 1 or 2 friendly arrows even when there is more. Not only that, it'll show enemies on the other side of the map but wont show any friendly arrows that are 10 meters away from you. Am I rushing the point alone? Are all the fuckers still in the spawn room (huge possibility)? Were they wiped out? Are they taking a different path? I don't loving know cause I can't see them on my map, and asking in chat wont work cause often enough the faction specific region chat breaks as well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CISscum posted:

It wouldn't be so bad, if they didn't make Necromancer Tree Jesus the most boring NPC in the game, and Guild Wars 2 has a shitload of boring NPCs (and some interesting ones too, TBH).

The killed off the one NPC I didn't find boring, uninteresting or disliked.

RIP Tybalt

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dwarf Fortress, 2 things about the military really drag it down:

1: You can't save your military uniforms. You can save embark profiles so you wont have to manually choose what skills to assign dwarves and what to bring, yet you can't do this for the military. So every new fortress you're going to have to manually create each uniform if you want more control over the generic "use a melee weapon and wear leather or metal armor or use a bow". This can be really frustrating if you go through multiple fortresses.

2: Pathfinding for your military loving sucks. You pretty much have to micromanage them with "move here" commands and hope they'll start attacking the thing you want dead when they get so close to it. If you directly tell them to kill something that is within line of sight and 5 tiles away from them they'll often sit stock still and say that they cannot reach their target. Even better is when one of your units will actually attack the thing while the other 5 just sit there doing nothing. Oh and sometimes they'll decide instead of ganging up on that yeti 4 of them will just break off to fight a weasel that wandered too close.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Arma 3's command system within your squad, you can divide your troops into different teams but as far as I know there is no hotkey for the teams. So if I wanted to select a certain I'd need to hit one key to bring up the command menu, press another key to access the team menu, then hit the hotkey for the specific team. But those hotkeys are 9 or 0, on the far right side of the board. Without the ability to pause and give commands its a cluster gently caress of participating in a fire fight, either taking my hand off my mouse or trying to stretch my left hand from the movement keys to hit 9 or 0, then rapidly back to hit the team hotkey, then having to hit the hotkey for the other command menus. So if I wanted to command white team to move somewhere I would need to push 9 (brings up the assign menu), 9 (brings up the team menu), 5 (selects white team), 1 (movement menu), 2(go there). Having a key to just select a certain team would work wonders.

With the lethality of the game I really can 't be fumbling with keys to command my troops.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

It seems like every FPS is making the time to kill shorter and shorter every game. Most FPS games feel like someone turned on insta-gib.

Well see, if every gun kills you near instantly then there will be no need to actually bother with balancing them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DStecks posted:

But it doesn't work in Battlefield. it works excellently in CoD, because every aspect of CoD multiplayer is tailored to create a singular experience: rapidfire gameplay with quick rewards for success and minimal punishment for failure. CoD is completely built around the hot streak: that moment where the stars align and things just go right for you and you become a human wrecking ball; CoD is built to make that moment as satisfying as possible when it happens, and the rest of the game as painless as possible when it's not happening, because it knows a streak like that might only happen once a round. So rounds are short, life is cheap, and respawns are instant. It works, it works really well.

Battlefield on the other hand is inherently slower paced if it wants to still be Battlefield. The hallmark of BF is vehicles, and vehicles require a much larger mapsize than CoD allows to be worthwhile, or even viable. So the maps need to be big, making travel slow unless you got a vehicle. BF could solve this by giving everybody a vehicle, but this is not what they've chosen to done, because it conflicts with how they balance multiplayer maps. Fair enough. The problem is in trying to recreate the satisfaction of playing CoD within the framework of BF: what DICE doesn't seem to get is that CoD is a lot more than just quick kills, they don't get that the CoD experience is the result of the sum total of every design choice, and that you cannot replicate another game's fun by copying one aspect of that game into your fundamentally different game. They don't get that even if you make respawns instant, the map size still makes each death a massive time penalty, unless players choose to take a gamble and spawn on a squadmate- which can easily be instant death.

Basically what I'm saying is that game design is holistic: you can't copy one aspect of a game and expect it to make your game more like that game: what you'll get is a completely different experience, because every gameplay system exists in the same space.

Thats some of the issues with Planetside 2, you can die in about a quarter of a second and it takes 15 seconds to respawn (only instant respawns are from a beacon every minute or back to the warpgate). It is entirely possible in those rare instances where defenders are actually defending and not just spawn room heroing that when the base flips and the attackers finish off the defenders they can be at the next base before the defenders can even respawn.

It also makes trying to break into any sort of chokepoint, cause its too hard to put multiple entries in a base (ironically enough, the biggest bases are the ones who have 1-2 chokepoints meanwhile smaller bases will have 4 or more), a pain in the rear end cause you get instantly killed when you round a corner and the people defending the chokepoint have infinite ammo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14: Melee and moving mobs, particularly during fates and especially for boss fates. Imagine you're a melee class and want to repeatedly hit this boss until he stops moving and you get a bunch of experience. Now imagine some chode who the boss targets decides to constantly run circles, you have a really good chance at never hitting the loving boss as he is moving. At best the boss may stop do some charge up attack. And the best part is usually this is an archer or a bard who can move and attack at the same time so he is constantly adding more hate to himself bu constantly damaging it.

Not that this is only an issue with boss fates, even in fates where its just "kill a bunch of enemies" and there SHOULD be enough mobs spread out for everyone, one guy pulls every loving mob and goes "Oh poo poo, I will die!" and runs off and resets the god drat fight

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Games where NPCs surrender or beg for mercy or whatever... and they don't actually follow through with accepting you sparing them. In Skryim a bandit grovels and begs for mercy so I put my weapon away? He'll just stand back up and attack me. Far Cry 2, injured guy who crawls away? Certainly wont stop him from still trying to take shots at me.

My problem isn't that they do this, I'd be ok with enemies who try to trick me. My problem is that its ALWAYS the case. I guess its to much effort to expand on your surrender mechanics to make the guy run off and despawn.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14 added chocobo racing which people say its like mario kart. Except in mario kart I could knock over someone who was intentionally placing their car in front of me so I could pass them, or it didn't take a few second for me to turn my wheel with an obvious tell to try and get around him that the guy in front of me will notice and will also turn to block me off.

EDIT: Oh and its unbelievable how good endurance and stamina is. Really, why bother with any other skills then these 2. I enjoy racing against players with high endurance/high stamina birds that can spend the majority of the race sprinting and have zero ability to catch up with him. It also makes briars the worst thing to be used against you cause it saps up your stamina and once thats zero may as well just alt tab out cause you aren't doing poo poo the rest of the race.

Leal has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Feb 26, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Skyrim: NPCs always love to drag you into their business. Last time I played I would actually actively run from NPCs whenever I went into a new town cause they were going to throw poo poo in my quest log and I have 15 other quests cause fuuuuck I just want to sell off these 50 iron swords I found.

But today I've noticed something new: In the very beginning when you go to Whiterun there is a few NPCs fighting a troll outside of Whiterun. I never saw this before and in fact I wouldn't of noticed it in this run, I was just picking plants nearby. Apparently when the NPCs finish off the troll regardless if you join the fight or not one of them will loving run up to you and berate you for not joining the fight! God dammit Bethesda its ok for players to explore and talk to NPCs themselves you don't have to make events happen in every settlement to force the player to talk to some NPCs! The worst of it is that I have to download a mod to ensure I can walk into a certain town and NOT be forced into joining the thieves guild cause when you walk in you're immediately approached by the recruiter!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

My mom watched me play Skyrim once and left in disgust when I shot a deer. Sorry mom. :(

My mom watched me play Morrowind and I was getting a lot of expensive stuff and selling it off to the mudcrab merchant. She asked what was I even going to do with all the money I was making. You never understood me mom.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

I played Skyrim for north of 150 hours on one file and I don't think I ever set foot in Falkreath. I remember trundling all the way from the east to the west for some quest and getting a prompt that I discovered Falkreath. I hesitated for a moment and just turned elsewhere and walked away because I was loaded with quests at the moment and I knew if I went in some jerk was going ask me to help tie his shoes.

Pretty much how I've been playing. Stumbled across a camp, see some letter on a corpse? Don't pick it up cause its probably going to add a quest. Need to go into some city I haven't been into yet for a quest? Don't talk to ANYONE and in fact flee from any NPC approaching me lest I get another quest added. I opened a chest in a dungeon that I had to clear out for a quest and saw a uniquely named flute and some daedra god's beacon. First time I didn't hit "take all" from a chest.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Final Fantasy 14: Trials being in the low level duty roulette. Low level roulette randomly places you in a low level dungeon where someone needs party members and pays out in a nice chunk of xp, also there is a challenge log for doing 3 dungeons. But trials aren't dungeons, and if you're say DPS who was hoping for a dungeon to get all the xp you get from killing things as well as completing both challenge logs for doing 5 dungeons and doing 3 dungeons through the roulette and waited like 30+ minutes in the queue.. and you get loving ifrit. 5 minutes later you're out with a lovely xp payout compared to running a dungeon.

They have an actual trial roulette, why can't these be thrown into there? Or just make trials count for the challenge log? Now I need to sit through another 30+ minutes and hope that I'm not thrown into another trial just to get this challenge log done.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

No, you are an idiot. Hotline miame 1 & 2 is not in any way about route optimization and muscle memory. The enemies walk random paths for a reason: you have to be quick and think on your feet. Its genius and the fact that you are a grumpy sperg pining for some good old speedrun-gameplay wont change that. gently caress you

Half the fun of this thread is seeing people who insist on defending something in a game but I think this tops every other post.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LoonShia posted:

GTA 5 would be a good game if it wasn't for the game.

APB: Reloaded has a great creation system where you can make logos, pimp out your car and even make music that'll play on your radio!

Too bad the game its attached to is balls.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dark Souls is the worst RPG I've ever played.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This and PYF funny comics are my favorite threads, simply for the insanely disproportionate amount of anger and upset they seem to wring out of goons somehow

Saying anything that a goon likes has a fault in it is the best way to get anger out of goons.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I never played 4 but I do know that in 3: Your character doesn't sing along with random radio stations dependent on their voice. No joy of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BoIEY4xA4

:smith:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

I remember the people pulling over and stopping in sleeping dogs being really smooth and clear. In other games sometimes your sirens make other drivers erratic or freak the gently caress out, but in sleeping dogs they pull over and make way like humans would.

I'm sure we've all had it happen where we were blasting down the road with our sirens on and a car from the oncoming lane decided to go left off the road instead of to the right, right into you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mortal Kombat X: Besides the usual fighter staple of "the AI blocking every attack and knowing when you finally do a grab as well as punching the instant you're vulnerable", there are some attacks that the AI will do that I'm sure is balanced out by the fact the player has to take a second or 2 to pull off. It was really nice at the end boss who used an attack that has a range of the entire screen that not only does a sizable amount of damage but he just spams over and over. Yeah you can duck to avoid it, but if you get hit once you'll flinch and not recover before he immediately fires it off again. I lost my first round against him without hurting him because he just spammed that move over and over and I couldn't do anything.

Also gently caress fighting Liu Kang

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I still think that would have been a lot more effective if they hadn't had Trevor's speech afterwards. It's like they didn't trust their audience to get the point, which all things considered is probably right on the mark and the thing dragging all games down.

I'm amazed Rockstar had the self restraint to not have Trevor instead say "YEAH ITS hosed UP HOW OUR GOVERNMENT DOES THESE THINGS, RIGHT PLAYER?! DID YOU KNOW THAT OUR GOVERNMENT TORTURES PEOPLE AND THINK ITS OK? KINDA MAKES YOU THINK HUH?!" while looking directly at the camera, maybe even integrating webcam/kinect/whatever the gently caress the PS3/4 webcam thing is so it can locate the player and have Trevor point directly at them.

Yes Rockstar, you are the spear that thrusts first into the solid shield that is social politics to show us all the light of today's hosed up world.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So, Just Cause 2?

I think Just Cause 2's world mixed with Mercenaries' (remember that series?) destruction would loving own.

Speaking of, Mercenaries 2: The cheevos are hella buggy and wont unlock properly. Also once the game crashed on me doing the final boss QTE

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shadow Over Mordor: Sometimes when you're on top of a ruined building Talion wont move, even if you're trying to sprint off (where Talion jumps off edges instead of being careful) Talion wont move. Really messes with my groove when I'm hopping buildings to get away from a mass of orcs and he just stops.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If multiplayer is regulated to online only that means they can sell twice as many copies of a game and twice as many consoles. plus subscriptions :tinfoil:

Though yeah, currently my brother an I can only play local with lego batman. I'm hoping to get all my consoles back from my parents soon so we can pop on the N64 and play Jesus Scars Mario Party 1.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, I hate switching to Trevor and suddenly I'm in a police chase with 2 stars on the highway. I just wanted to start the next mission dammit :saddowns:

And in Shadow of Mordor: The nemesis system is great... if you do die sometimes. I hardly ever died (to orcs) and when I had to fight my nemesis I had no loving clue on who he was.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This happens in the Strategy genre as a whole but Age of Wonders 3 makes me bring it up:

1: Not being able to sort out your unit deployment. In AoW3 it seems there is some kind of method to how your units are set up but it often leads to things like my hero being in the front center and my slowest unit in the center back. Also my cavalry will be placed in the inner part of the army instead of in the outer where I can have them run around the outside of the enemy position. This is often the situation:

There isn't a reason why the hero can't be in back and infantry would be in the center while cavalry take the flanks.

2: Simultaneous turns and the AI: Oh look at me, I'm the AI! I know exactly all situations and have no need to press buttons and can just have stuff happen. Oh that unit that you're frantically trying to move out of the way? Sorry, you can't move right now cause I'm sending a deathstack from the fog of war to kill it. Try reloading and moving the unit faster, maybe you'll save that scout!

E: Oh and when you build/research something that improves your units you don't even get an option to take your existing units and update them for a fee, you have to live with your existing units not getting some extra hit points or disband and rebuild them.

Leal has a new favorite as of 06:38 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Didn't they try that with GTA4 and nobody liked it?

The problem I had with GTA5 is that the satire and political commentary was delivered with the same subtlety as a kick to my dick.