Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
South Park: Stick of Truth.

Funny game. Lots of production value. But holy hell is the in-game map terrible. And I'm not sure why they added a Facebook-style social media site. It barely has any real functionality and clutters up the already-cluttered GUI. It definitely seems like an after-thought during the development process.

melon cat has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Byzantine posted:

The Roman Empire, for all its brutality, was incredibly successful, safe, and pretty much the best time/place to live on Earth until the rise of modern medicine.

The Legion is not the Roman Empire, and that made me sad.
That was my problem with the FO:NV story line, too. It was your choice of siding with either the overstretched, battle-fatigued, but ultimately well-meaning NCR or the ultra-violent slavers that everyone hated. And there really wasn't any huge benefit to siding with the Legion (if you chose to do so)- the quests/storyline wasn't as deep as with them as it was with the other factions, and most NPCs would attack you if you sided with them. It also restricted the recruitable NPCs that you could choose from.

And FO:NV wasn't the only game to do this. As much as I liked Red Dead Redemption, it was far more beneficial to be "Good Guy Marsden" than it was to be the bad guy.

melon cat has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Dec 28, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ryoshi posted:

I currently cannot aim down iron sights in (PC, unmodded vanilla) FO:NV and while it's a minor thing (since between VATS and hip firing I'm not having much trouble) it is annoying that the game is apparently so chock full of bugs I can't find anything about my specific issue online at all. It's like it'll flash to iron sights aiming for a single frame the second I depress the mouse button, but it was working fine for two hours prior to that. Ugh.
I'd highly recommend looking into some of the mods available on the Nexus, if you haven't already. There are some mods that do a great job of fixing the glitchy nightmare that is FO:NV.

I remember once I had a flamethrower in the game. Then when I swapped between my different weapons, an extra flamethrower would spawn on screen and start orbiting my character. And every time I swapped weapons, I'd get another planetary flamethrower.

The flamethrowers ended up flying into the sky after I spawned too many of them.

melon cat has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jan 4, 2015

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

Oh drat I didn't realize until you said how very good an idea this is.
The last time I remember seeing a dinosaur in a game was the first Tomb Raider, followed by Dino Crisis on the PSX. We are so overdue for a good dinosaur-themed survival horror/adventure videogame. But I think the videogame industry's more keen on producing more sequels to Assassin's Call of Creed.

And on the topic of things dragging videogames down- I just re-fired up Red Alert 2. I used to love this game growing up, but I don't know how I had the patience for the horrible UI. Maybe I'm becoming a blind old gamer, but I gave up after I started losing my 5 pixel-wide units on the large map. I lasted ~20 minutes in my last replay of RA2 before rage-quitting after I couldn't find the tanks that I scattered across the map.

melon cat has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jan 4, 2015

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

FF14: The materia meld failure animation. It takes like 3 seconds, happens every time, trying to move or do anything to cancel it doesn't work. SE, I just watched 250 grand blow up in my face, that 3 second animation is just rubbing my face in it.

And when every meld after the guaranteed slots has a 65% chance of failure, and ramps up to a 78% chance then an 86% chance of failure... I don't need to see it 80 times in a row.

EDIT: Actually I timed it. It takes almost 6 seconds. 6 loving seconds, every single time you fail a meld at 65%+ rate. 6 god drat seconds sitting here, watching my money vanish, I have to sit here and watch my character mope for 6 god drat seconds. I spend more time watching my character shake their head then I do actually doing the meld.
The Final Fantasy series seems to be quite bad with this sort of thing. I still remember the unskippable Summon spell animations in FF7 (is that what they were called? It has been a while). I don't know if it was an oversight from Square Enix, or an intentional (and self-indulgent) feature that they decided to keep. But it got really irritating really quickly. If I recall correctly, FF9's Eidolons were similarly repetitive.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Screaming Idiot posted:

Speaking of fishing...

HEY JAPAN. WE GET IT. YOUR NATION IS A SERIES OF ISLANDS AND FISHING IS IMPORTANT TO YOUR CULTURE. BUT NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS A loving FISHING MINIGAME. THEY'RE ALWAYS AWFUL.
I've always felt the same way about minigames. I don't mind having them in a game as a 100% optional distraction, but when the developer forces you to play them as part of the regular game playthrough (I'm looking at you, Red Dead Redemption and GTA 5) it does get irritating.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Red Minjo posted:

If a developer feels the need to put in a game of skill of their own invention, or one that is super obscure, they really shouldn't have the rules be given to you through the normal dialogue tree, from one NPC. Please at least show pictures of the game at the same time, if you can't craft a tutorial scenario for it. I don't care if your explanation is thorough, I need to be seeing something for it to mean anything to me.
Definitely. And a lot of developers include minigames and pitch it as one of the game's "features"... but then they never bother providing a proper, thorough explanation of how said minigame is played. Which is exactly what Obsidian did with Caravan in FO:NV. When this sort of thing happens, it just makes it look like they tossed in the minigames as an afterthought just to add a superficial amount of padding to the game.

melon cat has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Jan 7, 2015

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I finally got around to playing Far Cry 3. I'm about 50% done the game, but I no longer feel compelled to finish it. It just seems like I'm conquering the cookie-cutter outposts and repeating the same mini quests over and over again.

Does this game better, or should I just ditch it and start up Blood Dragon?

melon cat has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

RillAkBea posted:

If that's what's annoying you about the game then probably not, Blood Dragon is just a really dark version of the same outposts and mini quests for the most part.
Just tried Blood Dragon, and while it's a funny game, it's exactly as you described it.

Dewgy posted:

Did you get the wingsuit?

Wingsuit makes the game more fun, which is why FC4 basically starts you with the thing.
No wingsuit yet, but my biggest gripe with the game isn't navigation. I'm just getting bored of the repetitive outpost conquering mechanics and hearing the same grunt talk over and over again.