Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sardonik posted:

I dislike how it's often hard to tell which way the objective is in Transistor. I do all my exploration in games on a wrong-way-first algorithm and it's already led to missed content when I stumbled into the next area with no way to go back and check a side street. :argh:

I feel like I missed a shitload of side stuff in Kentucky Route Zero's third act because of that. I kept accidently ending up moving the story forward when I thought I was stopping to check out side content. And that game has some amazing god drat side content, but I don't want to replay it right now because I have my interpretations of the characters all solid in my head right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

This is how I felt about Mass Effect 2, but nobody agrees with me on that one.

Mass Effect 2 lost a lot of what I liked about 1, mostly in terms of feeling much more linear, but at the very least it added things that weren't dogshit. ME2 had some well-planned out additions.

DA2 had endless enemy waves and reused maps.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

The worst change in ME2 is they took out the synth-riff heavy soundtrack and replaced it with more generic orchestral stuff.

The Faunts song in ME1 was amazing. It was just the credits, but still, holy poo poo, best credits song since Homeworld. And I had decent hope for ME2's soundtrack, like when they had the trailer with the "The Day the World Went Away" cover.

But nope, orchestral crap.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
ME3 actually had a good orchestral track, An End Once and For All, but it shat up the end right as it was building to something great, because we have to have it synching up with the "Haha, gently caress you, you thought this ending might not suck" wave catching up with the normandy.

E:They didn't do that with the extended cut version, and it's actually pretty good, if a little dragged out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jastiger posted:

The AI I can get over, I mean it can't be perfect. I just wish it didn't give the AI Happiness bonuses. Happiness is kind of a thing dragging the game down. It punishes players for expanding and conquering whereas the AI does not have this problem. The game would be much more enjoyable if the AI had the same happiness penalties and needs as the player does since so much of what makes a solid strategy is the happiness effect on enemy civilizations.

Yeah, Civ V really punished building a lot of cities. It wasn't like that was a really overpowered strategy, since if you tried to do it early it would heavily slow your existing cities' growth because settlers used food to build in addition to production. If you wanted to go expansive, there weren't enough options to really mitigate the penalty in exchange for something else. You just got hosed.

Also, it's not a game, per se, but the Steam Client is a piece of garbage that really needs fixing, even if the rest of the service is pretty awesome. It's somehow gotten worse as they've updated it. I do all my purchasing through the browser since it works so slow in the program.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leal posted:

The kicker of the tow truck missions: You get the ability to buy the tow truck company... just so you can continue to tow even MORE cars :haw:

Most of the missions in GTA 5 really were like "Oh you want to get paid? Well gently caress you" and you sit there not really doing much until one of the 2 paying heists actually happen. Or you abuse the stock system and the assassination missions (see which ceo of a company you're about to assassinate, buy a bunch of stock beforehand cause of course you can't buy stocks during the mission, kill the guy and sell the stock).

gently caress that, you save those for when you actually have money, so when you're freed from the constraints of the story locking poo poo off, or banning you from using certain characters, everyone has 1.5 billion to spend on anything you want. Then, you can finally go nuts.

Why they thought it was a good idea to have you broke as poo poo through most of the game, though, I have no idea.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rick_Hunter posted:

It's not at hard as you think it is. You only have to secure one of the power sources to make it to the next level. The game is all about exploiting the Rock-Paper-Scissors dynamic of the game and making sure that the Vagyr BC cannot turn to bring it's Trinity Cannon into any fight. Once your bombers have taken care of the BC engines, you can put them on a bombing run on another ship and then turn back. Once you take care of the shipyard and the heavier ships, you can usually finish the rest of that level with ease. Barring that, you can build up a supply of platforms and throw them at the enemy for additional firepower or as a distraction. Just make sure you put their location near where the fighting is or it will be a waste.

Unpatched, you can end up facing an enemy fleet that'll blow all three sources before you can get anywhere close enough to shoot at them. They tweaked it in 1.1, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kimmalah posted:

I'm not saying it's bad or wrong, just referring to the fact that there might be some people who do Knights of the Nine early and end up puzzled about why they lost their gear when they were just doing the other quest lines.

But then I'm the type of player who doesn't really give a poo poo about roleplaying a certain type of character/morality systems so I have no problem being the Listener and also some kind of paladin of the Nine Divines (even though it makes little to no sense :v: )

Oblivion and Skyrim tend to give no fucks about roleplaying, too, so it's really dumb. THere's usually just one way to do a quest and that's it. You can't even be like "Yo, gently caress this, I'm out", it just lingers in your quest log forever until you do what the demon king asks or whatever. So if you want to not be pestered about that thieve's guild or brotherhood quest forever, well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do (and lose the items).

At least in NV you can go shoot Ceaser in his stupid face or sabotage whoever hired you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

UltraVariant posted:

Risk of Rain's difficulty curve is a straight vertical line for new players.

Yeah, even with some decent luck with drops I'm lucky if I make it to the second boss. poo poo is insanely hard. If it would save while you play on the easy difficulty I'd enjoy it a lot more.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Whatev posted:

Aw, don't be like that. The two big control changes were going "gently caress it" to fixing the overly counter centric combat with kill streaks.

I really don't get why they decided to try to fix "there's too many instant kills!" with another easy way to rack up instant kills. Making counters a normal attack with bonuses to damage for weapons like the knife/hidden blade and keeping the instant kills on perfectly executed combos would keep things way more interesting. Especially as they added more tools like the guns and smoke bombs and poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The thing dragging down Blood Dragon and CoJ:Gunslinger is that Ubisoft hasn't made any more sweet 15 dollar games since those two.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Are there any Ubisoft games (Rayman excluded) that aren't incestuously made? It seems their every major release has the same DNA: skill trees that hardly impact gameplay, a non-customisable DudeBro protagonist in a shallow sandbox that barely lets you influence the story, mandatory Uplay, egregious amounts of DLC and collectibles coming out of your ears. It really isn't necessary to ram so much optional content onto a disc as most players get bored of open-world box-ticking by the three-quarter mark.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The thing dragging down Blood Dragon and CoJ:Gunslinger is that Ubisoft hasn't made any more sweet 15 dollar games since those two.

Seriously, play Gunslinger. Short, sweet, and cheap.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The dumbest part of the whole "Tenpenny ordering CJ around" is the leverage Tenpenny has on CJ. Which is a gun that was used to kill a cop. Man, you really wouldn't want to get arrested with that on you (as well as every other gun you own that was just used to murder hundreds of cops. This one is special, I guess).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

2house2fly posted:

as far as I know the only thing that affects it is how many people you killed, the idea being that killing people was the most convenient way to achieve your objectives or something.

It's kind of like Dishonored, where you can kill a shitload of people and still get the guilt-free ending.

Unlike dishonored, killing was actively discouraged and you were rewarded way more for not killing people. I don't get why the non-lethal takedowns were shorter, quieter, and gave more XP than the lethal takedowns, for example.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

Tapping the pistol button is an arcane key. Granted I played it on PS3 but it told me clearly what button to quickly shoot was. Maybe they took that out of the PC version.

Nah, the PC version definitely has a quick-fire button for the pistol. It's "Y" on the 360 controller, if I remember right.

The reload for pistols is really weird, though. It has a long animation, then quickly starts to load each pistol. If, for some reason, you do any other action partway through the short part, it'll have stop reloading the pistols. Even though the animation and all that is over.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

I wanted to use an example earlier than Twilight Princess, but the two 3D Zeldas between OoT and TP were Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, both of which had very low dungeon counts. They showed the willingness to hve more in-world-logical dungeons, with MM's sub-dungeons and a couple of Wind Waker's early ones, but they didn't have many in the first place. We can compare a couple of MM's sub-dungeons, though; really the only reason Ikana Castle isn't the best dungeon in that game is because it's technically not a dungeon.

MM's sub-dungeons were as long and involved as OoT's dungeons, they just didn't end with "kill this boss". They were usually way more fun and varied than any of the OoT dungeons, too. Never got why most players say they "don't count" or whatever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Because crouch starts with C. Grenade starts with G. At least that's the explanation I've always assumed.
Moving grenades to the middle mouse button was the best switch in shooter controls. No more slipping trying to open a door and throwing a grenade at my feet instead!

swamp waste posted:

I know what the dude is saying. Walking into the water temple especially it's like drat I am going to spend so much time laboriously swimming clockwise around these three floors of rooms that look identical on the map trying to remember WHERE the thing I just picked up somewhere else in the dungeon is supposed to go. A lot of the dungeons have nasty circuits of puzzle rooms that terminate in points of no return, even if you've solved the puzzles already, so you can end up backtracking because oh poo poo you were supposed to go through the left door instead of the right one or whatever and now the bars drop behind you and you're gonna have to backtrack to get to where you previously started backtracking and you begin to wonder what skill this is testing besides your ability to not lose focus while bored

That's been quite a few of the Zelda's. OoT was definitely super bad about it, but it's not like WW or Link's Awakening weren't just as bad. Half my playtime on those games involved walking in circles.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Replaying South Park: Stick of Truth, and it's awesome, except sometimes the way to move forward is way too obscure. There's a bit in the school and the (spoiler?)UFO that baffled me on repeat playthroughs because you have to get that behind the camera, there's another zone, or that you have a place to go that has been shifted through the background behind some glass.

It'd be fine in Myst or something, but this is 2014 and no one wants to buy a hint book

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DStecks posted:

I know this is a couple conversations ago, but I've just been thinking about how AssCreed could have made its combat less "easy" without being the janky mess it currently is. Without getting too amateur-game-design-hour, probably the easiest way to make AssCreed combat more skillful would be to not allow the player to counter attacks from enemies who are behind the player character. Then you could get some actual tactical thinking, in terms of "do I try to turn around in time to intercept the attack, or do I dodge out of the way?", and even the traditional cheesing-it all-counters strategy now requires some skill, because you can't just stand there and press the counter button.

Also, not making counters insta-kills anymore would help a lot too. In the first game to one-shot people every time you countered you needed to use the hidden blade, which had a really short counter window AND couldn't be used to attack. Now it's "see red exclamation mark, hit "B", kill every motherfucker that's close with a kill streak".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RyokoTK posted:

I think RE4 was really good for two reasons. The first is the really satisfying mechanics. Blasting ganados in the head and the resulting squelching sound was so good. Everything just had a lot of impact. The second is that the game was not afraid to just take its time and let the strong mechanics stand on their own. A lot of the sequences (like the opening village battle, or some sections in the castle) might seem like they would go on too long but the gameplay is just so intense and good that they just work.

I could gush about RE4 for a really long time, it is such a goddamn good game.

It really managed the line between making you feel like a badass motherfucker, and making you feel really vulnerable by having you stand still while you do your badass stuff. It made a lot of the scenes really adrenaline-filled, and when you came out the other side, hot drat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

Resistance had a decent system where your health bar was divided into segments and you'd only regenerate up to the last partially full segment. Restoring completely lost bits required health packs.

I think the Riddick game was the first game to do that, and it worked really well. The melee combat in that game was amazing, too.

So of course it had a sewer section where you had to shotgun a bunch of weak mutants.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

I thought Infamous had a good explanation for regenerating health - since Cole's a human battery, he absorbs the ambient electricity from the city's power grid. If you go into areas of the city without power, you stop regenerating.

Plus, when you get outside of the functioning grid, you can still use cars and other things with batteries to get health/power back, you just can't suck down every street light and television you see to do it.

Cleretic posted:

Mars: War Logs is let down by the massive dissonance between budget and ambition. It wanted to be a big Bioware-style open-world RPG with heavy moral choices and deep consequences. But that poo poo's expensive, so it falls short in pretty much every field.

I still say that, if you gave it the budget of a modern Bioware game, it'd be better than anything they made since the original Mass Effect.

Yeah, I like janky games, and I did actually like Mars:War Logs, but if you gave it an actual budget it would have been loving amazing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Professor Wayne posted:

I've always leaned towards mouse and keyboard as the best controller ever, but investing in a 360 controller for my PC was a pretty great decision. So many games now are designed with it in mind, and you just plug it in and go. I was confused in a Metal Gear Rising video linked earlier when mouse button prompts popped up. Not sure why you would do that to yourself.

I'll always prefer M+KB for shooters, but for action games like MGR the analog sticks are so much better it's really no contest.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kimmalah posted:

Anyway, this poo poo's probably going to go on forever because you could debate the good and bad of every faction all day.

Unlike the writing in DA2, which definitely dragged the game down, because instead of having sides with any kind of pros vs. cons, you just had "Devil Lunatics vs. Literal Actual Nazis who call their plan a final solution".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

The camera in Wasteland 2 is so goddamn clumsy and awkward and lumbering. I rather think a fixed camera position would have been easier and forced the team to put more of an emphasis on aesthetics (poo poo is UGLY in this game)

I usually dont care too much about graphics, but W2 looks so goddamn bad I haven't been able to bring myself to play it for more than an hour.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

melon cat posted:

And on the topic of things dragging videogames down- I just re-fired up Red Alert 2. I used to love this game growing up, but I don't know how I had the patience for the horrible UI. Maybe I'm becoming a blind old gamer, but I gave up after I started losing my 5 pixel-wide units on the large map. I lasted ~20 minutes in my last replay of RA2 before rage-quitting after I couldn't find the tanks that I scattered across the map.

I think a lot of it was the shittier computers and monitors meaning you played at a much lower res. I actually played it at like 800x600 last time I did and it made everything much bigger and easier to find.

Now, the fact it does left-click to give orders, that hosed with me the whole time I played.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

KotOR 2 is really uneven even in its restored state, for every clever subversion of Star Wars you get lesbian twilek bounty hunters straight off of :tvtropes: or yet another dungeon that exists for no reason other than to be a dungeon.

It's still fun but I would have rather had a few actual proper missions instead of a bunch of padding.

The problem with the restoration mod is that it restores EVERYTHING that was cut they managed to get material for. Some of those things were cut for quality reasons, and not the "surprise, we just took six months off your deadline!" thing. The giant fight in Nar Shadaa to get back to the Ebon Hawk comes to mind. And the HK-50 factory didn't have much of its content completed, so a lot of it is just dungeon-y crap.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheSpiritFox posted:

My PC version looks like the top picture. You might want to check in settings because I'm pretty sure the movement grid can be turned on or off (I prefer it off)

Are you playing with a controller? Mine looks like the top picture when I use one, the bottom when I use mouse+KB

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Be sure to hold up+B+select while the pokemon is trying to get out.

I used to do that so often (well, just up+B) that now I can't not do it. Even though I know it doesnt work, the habit is so strong I can't break it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The problem is that HM2's plot feels like reading a book when you've been sick for two days and haven't slept at all. It feels like you should be able to piece it together but your brain just won't find the function to do it. And not in a good way, like how E.Y.E. feels like some kind of Nyquil'd nightmare you can't awake from. It's missing that little bit of dream logic or whatever that it needs to pull it off.

Also, the fact I can see further in the X axis than the Y axis always pisses me off when I get sniped by someone who's above me that I couldn't see.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

QuietLion posted:

I got around to trying the Batman games for the first time, and the knife dudes in Asylum are the worst things in it so far (completed up to the second Scarecrow :catdrugs: point). I just want to continue foever with my crazy flying kick combo, and I have to break it to stun those knife dudes.

While the combat is way more fluid in Asylum than in an Assassin's Creed game, I honestly like AC's climbing a little more. I've walked off several platforms because I keep thinking Batman will drop and hang off a ledge if I inch off of it. The combat more than makes up for that little issue, though.

The armored guys were worse for me since if they're next to a normal dude with an everyday average punchable face, it's pretty hard to get batman to hit the guy he can hit instead of going and punching the armored one like an idiot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SinineSiil posted:

You can change the resolution to anything from .ini file that's in game folder.

What always makes that game hard for me to go back to is the whole left-click-move thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

the problem isn't lack of nuance, it's that the Legion's crimes could be switched for puppy killing and have the same impact. It's cheap 'THEY'RE EVIL DO YOU SEE GUYS' shorthand, not Clockwork Orange or 1984

Eh, not really. It was based on what the actual roman legions did. As much as the Legion seems like absolute strawman babykillers, a lot of their atrocities are based on actual things Rome did, and these days they're seen as the last true civilization before the "dark ages".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I liked how Alpha Protocol didn't do any moral judgement, it just had story effects and changed your perks and character attitudes. Not reducing it to good/evil let them have more interesting dilemmas.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Polaron posted:

Isn't there literally no reason to ever use a lethal stealth takedown? They make more noise and use more power, IIRC.

They use the same amount of power, but yeah, they do make more noise and grant less XP. It's pretty dumb.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

And you can't forget the fact that, even when barely upgraded, the most basic pistol easily 1-shots all basic mooks. With the Anti-Armor upgrade is completely unstoppable.

That's Deus Ex tradition and I wouldn't trade it for anything. :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Accordion Man posted:

Kentucky Route Zero has an amazing ingame musical number and its interactive.

I was a little dissapointed Act III didn't end with a bluegrass song, I really liked the ones they used at the end of I and II. The mid-act interactive one was awesome, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

Number 2 is the worst bullshit. I've been playing AoW3 and overall I've been enjoying it but that is the worst. Reading an important popup and BOOM suddenly things are ready to push your capitals poo poo in.

Endless Space was pretty god drat bad about simultaneous turns, too. A lot of the time if you moved a fleet to attack another fleet, the game would retreat it the instant you gave the order. Then, at the start of the turn, it would attack all your fleets at once and you'd be stuck with the crappy autoresolve instead of getting to pick your cards for the battles.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Actually its because being rude to her is the single most damaging thing you can do in the entire game reputation wise, nothing else comes even close to the loss of approval if you're rude to that person.

You can commit literal genocide and it's less of a reputation hit than being rude to them, it's pretty out of whack. Like, whatever, transphobia is pretty lovely, but if you ask me if I'd rather be friends with somebody who was rude once or somebody who's like "gently caress it, let's kill a bunch of people", gimme the rude guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah Ashley was an interesting character in ME1 but to have her STILL be a complete tool after all the poo poo she went through with her crew in the first game was completely absurd.The most annoying part about her scene in ME2 was her flipping her poo poo when you mentioned Cerberus. Even after you explain that you're just working for them to solve the mystery and they kind of brought you back from the dead she still acts like you've been slaughtering innocent aliens by the dozens for kicks.

That poo poo was really dumb. I wanted to go all Adam Jensen and be "I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS" but they wouldn't listen to "hey you shits, I was loving dead" even when you tell them exactly that. It's like they expected Shepard to be clutching a DNR at all times in case a bunch of racist mad scientists found his corpse.