Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I guess this more belongs in the other thread, but I think Splinter Cell: Blacklist did really good with that. You got 100 XP for stealth kills, 150 for stealth KOs, and 200 for every enemy that you sneaked past entirely (once you reach the end of the mission). It subtracts 50 points for each if you were spotted. So leaving absolutely no trace of your existence was rewarded more by far.

Of course, I don't think that could really work in an open-world game like Watch_Dogs, at least not the part where it determines which enemies you just ghosted past. Maybe in the linear missions themselves (I haven't actually played Watch_Dogs yet).

Missions are a flat payout of XP, plus you get XP for disabling guards (more for a melee takedown than shooting, I think, but only a bit.)

Would have been nice to be like Far Cry 3 where there's a small bonus for not letting the alarm be triggered while taking a garrison, and a large bonus for not being detected at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

The boss battle on its own was decent enough, yeah. Enemies possibly a little on the clairvoyant side notwithstanding. Maybe if I replay the game I'll be a little easier on the DLC now that I know what to expect and can spec Adam accordingly (i.e. get the drat cloaking system and spend less on the hacking because codes are everywhere), even though it goes a little against the spirit of Deus Ex but eh, it's side story DLC.

I see your point on the recharging but I can't be too hard on that one because I invisi-melee chumps all the time and still carry more candy than a pedophile.

Yeah when I played HR I had just come off the original where you need to chow down on health packs until you find the regeneration aug, and then you chow down on bio cells, so having full health regeneration and even a single cell of energy regeneration was more than I was used to.

Still miss individual body part damage though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mass Effect 2 and 3 just hardcoded the strings. "To vault over objects, press [SPACE]" long after I remapped that to E and Space to power wheel.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Pidmon posted:

Playcoins from the step counter are hosed too - you get one every 100 steps, that's good, promotes excersize.

There's a daily cap of 10 coins.

So when I went to Disneyland last year and walked 24K steps each park day I was pretty peeved.

There's also a hard limit of 300 coins at a time. And barely anything to spend them on (a hint in Link Between Worlds? Oh boy!) When I was doing 10K steps a day just commuting for months at a time I hit that limit quick.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Heavy Lobster posted:

I think he's advocating more for "who gives a gently caress about the video game" here.

e: Slice of Life: I was in a bad place when I got into LoL and Dota 2, and would frequently put off social obligations until a match was over, as I thought it was rude to up and disconnect from a game. As I started reassessing my lifestyle habits and how I related to games, I realized that progress in a video game is less important than making sure your friends don't hate you, and that any frustration you may feel from losing some MMR is probably not as great as the frustration of your friends seeing their friend cloister themselves away into video game hell. Moral of the story: don't be a nerd shut-in and let a greater emphasis on real life things free you from the bonds of a few experience points or what the gently caress ever.

Agreed. One thing that drags most games down for me is that they allow you to pause them. Useless feature IMO.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

How did the combat in InFamous Second Son get to be such a slog? I liked 1 and 2 but this is awful, I'm never having fun while playing this game. It feels like the developers decided to punish every play style they could think of, and don't get me started on the heavy enemies that literally cannot be killed at a distance despite your melee doing gently caress all when surrounded.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

More Second Son hate, I am routinely surprised at how closed ended this open world game is. I am now stuck on a boss where the only valid approach is to take potshots from afar, dash, repeat. Every other technique in my arsenal has a direct counter. "Oh, you wanted to try a heavy attack? The boss is too fast. You wanted to try melee? The boss deals damage whenever you get near. It's immune to being stunned and there's no way to build a karmic streak so those are out too. Guess you'll just have to do things our way. :smug:"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

Just started playing Deus Ex: The Fall today, and it seems pretty fun so far, but that tutorial... Was it meant for people who've never seen a computer before but somehow managed to buy, install and start playing the game? Moving the mouse to look around, you say? Well, first you're going to have to tell me what this "mouse" is, all I see is this plastic gizmo!

Probably just directly translated from the mobile game, where those commands would have been more along the lines of "drag from the center to look around." They're more helpful there.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

DStecks posted:

Also am I weird or does motion blur in PC games always always always look awful? Like, nausea-inducing.

It varies for me. It looked good in Crysis 3 but always stuck out in Valve games.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, he wasn't really recognizable as Joel in TLoU either (and another great example of a typecast actor having range is Nolan North's David in that game. Holy poo poo was he different than the norm.)

In the Expiration Date TF2 short, Nolan North subbed in for Grant Goodeve and did the whole Engineer part, and subbed in for one single line of the Soldier's dialog, and I can't figure out which one it is because he did it so well.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Even back in Oblivion the only worthwhile horse was Shadowmere.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

These mobile defense scanners or whatever are really bringing Killzone Shadow Fall down for me. The game was okay not great up to this point, but these things are just a slog of getting around them to the little generators without being instantly vaporized either by it or the attendant mechs.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I dunno, I don't think Skyrim quite matched the amount of "ugh this is the worst game series that I am posting about daily while replaying the others in anticipation of" that Mass Effect had.

That thread was weird.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's always funny to mention that I had a lot of fun with Skyrim bone stock.

On PC.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I finally picked up Far Cry 3 for PC and this is what I hate the most about it. You've got to go on the Great Belt Buckle Hunt in order to loot a dead body, and god help you if you're anywhere near a gun when you try it (NB: like 90% of dead bodies are bandits who drop guns). There's no reason these priorities shouldn't be switched.

The instance it annoyed me the most had to do with being on fire. You'd know you were on fire so you'd mash the heal button, but the game hadn't fully registered it yet, and when it does, it completely cancels out the healing to make you push the button again to put out the fire, which takes several seconds during which you take damage from fire and any other enemies shooting at you. This killed me so many times.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Skippable, or only happening the first time you start the game, is key. I got really tired of having to sit through a 3-minute phone call in Far Cry 3 every time I died trying to take a stronghold or just farting around the island.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ArcMage posted:

I and many others have pretty anemic PCs as far as current-gen games are concerned, and I really don't want to run everything as a 1080p slideshow.

Then turn it down? It would just be nice for the menus not to start out at 1024x768 in 2015.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I will say I'm glad what Star Wars Battlefront II did never caught on: regardless of what resolution you set the game to, the menus were hard locked to 800x600.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Good lord I forgot what a slog the last half of Halo CE is. Endless hallways filled with endless fodder enemies that can do just enough damage to kill you in moderate numbers, spotty checkpointing, rare ammo drops and almost no health drops at all, and the bald-faced reuse of every single environment from the first half of the game in reverse chronological order.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ElGroucho posted:

I also think that HR is too pretty in general. Even though I'm supposed to feel like society is on the downswing, the whole time I'm playing the game, I'm just thinking, "Man, the future is bad rear end."

The drunk patriot and starving orphan in the first Deus Ex add more to the environment of the game than all the back story and broadcasts in HR combined. A lot of that game left me just bummed out, which is good, because it was essentially a story of humanity's failure.

I thought that was the point though. In 2027 there's a lot of shiny new technology and marketing and a lot of money to go around, so the poverty and destitution is only visible if you look closely. By 2052 the grey death and the secession wars have pushed that all away, revealing what was going on underneath the whole time, and worsening everyone's life.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

MisterBibs posted:

The caveat of "Well, it's a cyber-renaissance" didn't work for me with regards to augmentation, especially as it pertains to how they look in the original Deus Ex. Maybe I'm just ignorant of it happening in history, but the idea that a technology would go from artisanal to non-artisanal as fast as mechanical augmentation in DX went is bizarre to me. It borders on an Irrationally Irritating Moment for me :(

The game was over a decade old by the time human revolution came out. That's really what it boils down to, and everything else is just the writers trying to smooth over the differences.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

NLJP posted:

Yeah it's generally a really good game but man some of those moments when they're trying to be all solemn and epic are just embarassing. Hell, I was entirely on my own for that part but I still wanted to sink into the ground a little bit.

What about it, is it just terribly written?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

RyokoTK posted:

Losing the cops in GTA5 is loving annoying, it takes too long, and the cops can just spawn out of nowhere virtually on top of you, or they can psychically divine where you're hiding if you manage to duck into an alley or something. Being diverted into a tedious 10-minute escape because you accidentally nick a cop's bumper on the way to a mission can just get bent.

The worst is when you switch to Trevor and happen to pull the unlucky number to be stuck in a chase in his lovely truck

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Cleretic posted:

Cities Skylines apparently has one for clicking a police building one hundred times in a row. Which... okay, on one hand that's hilarious, but on the other hand what the gently caress.

Wonder if someone did that in playtesting.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

owl_pellet posted:

I've heard the genre called "fumblecore", but that is kind of a silly name

Buttfumble Simulator 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

Infamous Second Son is awesome but the thing dragging it down is I played First Light first and that game's Neon power set is so much more fluid than anything in SS that it was hard to get used to. Especially SS's neon powers. First Light might be my favorite game on the PS4.

I'd just settle for a bit more balance among the powers. Smoke is extremely weak, video is almost comically overpowered, neon tries to bridge the gap, and why even both with concrete when it only has 3/4 of the moves of the others and can only be regenerated from (increasingly scarce) DUP enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

im pooping! posted:

sorry who are you talking about?

Kai Leng, or is that the joke?