Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

I actually stopped playing that mod because of EXALT. They are just super frustrating to fight against. They get the same equipment and abilities you do while having 3 to 4 times your number, often with much higher HP.

Flashbangs and Smoke grenades are good against EXALT.

They also don't have SHIVs or MECs like you do, or Seekers/Cyberdiscs/Mechtoids/Sectopods like the Aliens do. This is a weakness you absolutely need to punish them for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
DotA 2 has items that are literal thousands of dollars but that doesn't really make it better.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

khwarezm posted:

To be fair aren't they just things traded between the community? Its not like Valve is actually selling "sparkly hat of sperg, 12,000 USD:pcgaming: " at the store is it?

Sort of. They basically obey the hat barons when they say "Don't make this item available" again though. (see: Alpine Ursa, Dragonclaw Hook, etc)

Cleretic posted:

Wait, isn't the first one like, a month old? How the gently caress is there a sequel?

It's not a really complex game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Oh I agree, I personally prefer the hand-drawn look more than the pixel stuff, but it's not something that'd turn me off from the game or anything. Some people are getting really annoyed at it for some reason. Fun fact, the creator of the game prefers the pixel style.

I think BoI was neat and I got it the day it came out but I don't know how people play it so much and little naggling things like that are enough for me to say "Not worth buying a second time" :shrug:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Bee posted:

It should've been the other way around. I mean, the "nonlethal" takedowns are punching people so hard they pass out, that's gonna make some noise.

But rather than a syringe aug or some kind of throat-slitting knife, lets just give him giant fuckoff baraka blades. Those are really subtle.

It's not even that they're impossible to use quietly, Jensen just insists on it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
One of my friends got me The Binding of Isaac: The Rebirth for my birthday and it's much better than I thought it would be. The new characters are cool, it's less buggy, the new bosses are interesting and there's a filter option that smooths everything out to resemble the original's graphics more.

But the music's kinda a letdown. Some is really good (like the new Cellar theme Periculum or Mega Satan's theme Hericide). But I dunno, the shop music, Caves/Catacombs and Depths/Necropolis isn't very memorable.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Heart of the Swarm was such a letdown.

Retcons, incredibly predictable plot, tons of cliches and a limp climax.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Considering Platinum made it a running gag that Raiden continually "playfully" harassed a perfectly healthy young woman about her weight over Codec in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and they made every single character flip their poo poo about the oversexualized first boss's enormous breasts, I doubt it.

Platinum, I want so badly to like you, why must you keep alienating me? I want to give you my money for your games! Stop "ironically" treating women like objects!

I don't actually remember anything about that in MGR:R.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Inco posted:

It was probably all in Codec calls, which you could be forgiven for never seeing because they're completely optional, somewhat lengthy, very numerous, and they trash the game's flow. I've never bothered listening to them outside of a couple from the first level, because that's valuable time I could be using slicing mooks in half and harvesting their cyborg spinal fluids.

I listened to almost all of them via Chip Cheezum's LP. :shrug:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Something they never tell you in the modern Fallout games: Press E to drink water. Hold E to continuely drink water

What. I beat both FO3 and NV and thought they were alright if not worth replaying and that would've been so useful to know.

SirPhoebos posted:

I somehow convinced myself that MoO3 was worth playing for two weeks. :negative:

solid, like the other guy meant?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Rising wasn't successful though, it's not like it got popular or anything.

I think you played a different Rising than everyone else did.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

s now that I know somebody out their is masturbating over them.

Get prepared to hate everything then!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Sometimes when I've beaten a game like Pheonix Wright I just want to play it again for the story but there's no option to do that. :saddowns:

im pooping! posted:

Oh man this thread gave me the itch to play Mass Effect again, I was pretty burned out on it a few months back. I'm doing an insanity run with a manshep this time and my goodness, combat is incredibly boring on insanity mode. I'm a vanguard with singularity as my bonus power, so I just do singularity>marksman>adrenaline burst>repeat and it takes like 2 minutes of just stun locking and holding down the trigger to kill anything. And God forbid a lone enemy can shoot rockets, because one direct hit will kill you instantly. ME2 was much better(mainly because of checkpoints), and I know people hated on Mass Effect 3(I enjoyed it when it first came out and still enjoy it today), but as far as combat goes, it was the best, because it seemed the least monotonous. Lots of biotic and tech explosions(vanguards can explode basically everyone constantly).

I've tried to start ME three times and I can only ever get to the first planet before I just stop caring.

Ryoshi posted:

Baroque is a Sting game, just published by Atlus.

But regardless I actually really dig the game itself. The gameplay is pretty unique (I'm having trouble thinking of another 3d action-roguelike) and the aesthetic is cool, it's just annoyingly cryptic at times. And my first complaint was actually sort of unfounded, because last night when I fired it up again there was a guy in the dungeon that really strongly hinted at what you needed to do to progress the story.

On topic: the game has an iOS port (go try it, it's free to download and an absolutely laughable $18 to unlock the full game). Unless my copy was bugged somehow the port only has one song for music, doesn't have voiceovers, and the camera turn rate is far too slow to actually play the game. Why do companies even bother porting games that the platform obviously can't handle well, do a lovely job on the port, and then charge an arm and a leg for it? It's insane. See also: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite iOS.

Baoque is a really cool idea done really poorly.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Everyone knows you rotate the control pad clockwise :colbert:

:edit:

In rhythm with the pokeball's wiggles if it's a normal pokemon and as fast as humanly possible if it's a legendary :colbert:

You forgot you need to tap A while you're doing that. Also holding forward + A makes your attacks more accurate and holding back + B makes enemy attacks less accurate. It's a secret dev input for testing. :ssh:

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Feb 7, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

You do know that you can select any case you have already completed to replay it right?

Yeah but you've still got to play through the trial and stuff. Some of them are pretty hard/I am bad at.

CJacobs posted:

The reason Pokemon games still don't let you skip the tutorial is because the games are primarily for actual children but can be played by anybody. That doesn't mean it's a kids' game but it does mean that it has to have that level of accessibility naturally built into it.

It would be nice of them to put in an option to be like "shut up old man I know what I'm doing I read my Pokemon Catching Guides back in Pokemon School" or something though. If you don't teach people how to play the game then they won't know how to play it. If you force the tutorial it will annoy people who don't need it. If you give people the OPTION of being taught how or not then it's entirely their fault if they don't learn. Most games nowadays have an option to turn off tutorial prompts or hints.

Eh, when I was 12 or so playing Pokemon Gold I was annoyed that there wasn't an option to skip it. Kids are impatient. :v:

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Feb 8, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Drakengard 3 admitting you have terrible sections of gameplay does not excuse it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I wish Fire Emblem wasn't so easy.

Phobophilia posted:

I think it's a flaw of many games that your opponent rarely ever flees from you. Real life warfare has never been dependent on killing every single soldier on the opposing side, but breaking the integrity of the enemy's army, or capturing some strategic objective (say a bridge, or a village). Breaking the will of your enemy to fight simply helps that goal. A platoon of disarmed prisoners can be guarded by a handful of your own guys, and a routed army is one that can no longer efficiently resist you (and is vulnerable to getting slaughtered by pursuers).

Most non grognard games don't seem to be interesting in simulating this dynamic, and it suffers for it. So when my supersoldier protagonist rampages through a base, the defenders should flee once they realise they're not getting through my regenerating health. It gets me what I want (a captured base), and it gets them what they want (to live to fight another day).

I Am Alive tried something like that. It'd be cool to have a survival game that expanded on the whole psychological battle of trying to get past a group of guys without wasting precious bullets.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SavTargaryen posted:

Didn't I Am Alive have that thing where you still had to find ways to execute people, though? They'd just kinda stand around until you murdered the poo poo out of them. That or I am a psychopath and went out of my way to find ways to kill helpless people and honestly I'm not sure which.

I think it did and that's why I said "I'd like to see a game where".

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I still haven't gotten around to playing To The Moon, but I have to say it's shuffled a long way down my backlog now. I have this weird opinion that there were games with good stories before 2011 so I'm afraid it'll seem even worse by comparison.

Deus Ex came out in 2001.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm sure it'd be hard to work in well but I wish FTL had controller support.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

im pooping! posted:

thats because he died

No way that's going to stick though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

people posted:

Hotline Miami plot

Honestly what dragged it down for me is that they advertised the game as trying to be somewhat more plot focused and cerebral with it. I get the message they're trying to send with it but starting to develop the Fans as characters, then killing them all before it pays off? I really do get what they're trying to do but I don't like it. "It's about expecations" yeah well I guess you did a good job with that dennaton because I expected you to be sincere about everything you said pre-release. The only plot that really goes anywhere is Manny the Detective's but it's kind of obvious he's going to be the killer considering he was literally named after a real life serial killer who was also a cop.

Also anything involving nukes in that game makes no sense.

I'd be willing to forgive the massive letdown that is the plot if the levels were better designed but a bunch of them really aren't. For example none of the Son's missions are very friendly to the dirty hands technique because you've got to pop in and out of view of 30 guys with guns.

DStecks posted:

I have not played Hotline Miami 2, so it may very well be dog anus. However, Curdy Lemonstan's post clearly implied that this was a "problem" with Hotline Miami 1, where it was the core element of the gameplay, which was what I intended to address.

As an example, the biggest levels in Hotline Miami is comparable in size to a single floor of the biggest levels in HLM2 like Blood Money.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Mar 14, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

No they're terrible and that's terrible writing.

Also Hotline Miami 2 sounds like literally everything I don't like about 1. I loved 1, played it to perfection in one day of having the flu and slightly hallucinating, which I believe was the perfect way to experience it - the only bits I didn't like were the parts that it sounds like make up the entirety of 2. I'll wait for a sale I guess but im sad :(

Wait until the level editor is out and see if people do good things with it imo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Summoners are OP. You're DPS and you can spawn a tank? Not cool.

That's three.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Also -- and this probably says more about me than the game -- I feel like it might be nice to have some sort of warning when I'm about to send unarmed characters out on the battlefield. :saddowns:

Remember the bit with Vaike in chapter 2? :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah I wanted to like Borderlands in general but the gunplay was pretty unexceptional and I groaned when I leveled up because it meant my guns were now piss weak and I'd need to find something new and :effort:

I knew Watch_ Dogs was going to be bad, particularly as I don't like Assassin's Creed but it still pains me to see how a cool concept got ruined so thoroughly. :smith:

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Apr 14, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I played StarCraft 2 for a bit in the first time in ages and man, it just can't hold me as well as Brood Wars or WarCraft 3 could. There's issues in every area.

Customs are still kinda a mess. I think adding in HD models of War3 units helped, but the UI for actually getting into customs is horrible. I'm not sure about what making them is like, but any custom UI elements added (like heroes) are kinda ugly and out of place compared to War3.

Wings of Liberty's campaign was pretty fun but it's story was awful. SC1 wasn't high art or anything, but it did it's job. It introduced some fun characters, pit them in bad situations, and they worked their way through them (or not). Everything was about this one little corner of space with it's long forgotten band of human exiles, but then everything in Wings had to be EPIC and ORCHESTRAL and everything lost all impact. It also added a bunch of boring people who you're expected to know about from some crap book Blizzard spat out. Also Jim Raynor is basically an entirely different character now. He looks different, has a different backstory, and acts differently.

I went back to Brood Wars and I still love the mission intro briefings. Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TjEPq0Al2A

They just feel really atmospheric to me. WoL's problem is that 90% of the time it's Jim Raynor talking to someone one on one. I also liked the talking heads because everyone was in different locations, with scan lines and static, but if Raynor talks to someone far away now he's got a big HD TV.

HotS campaign was a mess in every way. The single player upgrades weren't even all that fun compared to some of the cool if impractical stuff you got in Wings, and to add insult to injury, the Zerg (who the expansion was about might I add) got less special campaign only units than the Terran did. Kerrigan is also even less likable then new-Raynor who was less likable than old-Raynor.

Possibly the most hilariously bad scene:

Protoss (advanced aliens) Leader: You say you're reformed, yet you've slaughtered all of our completely peaceful colonists who wanted nothing to do with you.

Kerrigan (leader of the swarm of alien lost Zerg, it's complicated and dumb): Well you (A completely different group of Protoss) killed a lot of Zerg (As the Zerg were invading the Protoss homeworld) so you have no moral highground (Despite Protoss being thinking individuals and Zerg being mindless, cloned, mutant, reptilian bug things) :downs:

I also liked having neutral objectives to fight over in War3 but that wouldn't suit SC melee/ranked ladder so that's just a personal thing.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 08:10 on Apr 15, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Alouicious posted:

alignment is balls stupid and was invented in the 70s as a reason to justify murdering orcs and not feeling bad and the fact that anyone still thinks about it today is a testament to how much nerds cannot let go of any legacy mechanic ever

I tried playing DnD awhile back with some NERD FRIENDS and I took alignment to mean a sort of general idea of your character's outlook as opposed to a strict set of rules but they got really worked up about it being important. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'd like Smash 4 on 3ds more if it had a single player mode like adventure from melee.

Sleeveless posted:

It's more that it's just as goofy as anything people criticize the later games for, it's just that thanks to the limits of technology (and nostalgia) it comes across as charming and fun.

If you lived in some alternate world where the Final Fantasies came out in reverse order people would be making :iceburn: about Amano's inability to design characters that aren't covered in beads and scarves and how self-indulgent and pointless it was to have a five-minute unskippable opera sequence and how trite it is to have a villain who's a clown but, get this, he's evil :aaa:

And yet in this mirror universe FF7 would still be nostalgia bait, right in the middle. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

He's definitely a big wasted opportunity. You could definitely leave him out and no one would notice.

Khimari's most important role was being the character model for Phantom Lancer in DotA. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Shovel Knight is a great game but man, I hate The Lich Yard. The darkness and lightning gimmick is so tedious.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Maybe The Lich Yard isn't the best level, but the darkness gimmick is what makes the end part of Tower Entrance so good.

Does it flash so that you have to stand around waiting to confirm if the bridge is broken or not? Because not being able to tell where the floor is, is exceedingly obnoxious.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Rondo of Blood is a great game but Richter is so stiff compared to his Symphony of the Night incarnation, Simon from Castlevania 4, or even Maria.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Persona 4 Golden is pretty fun but man there's a bunch of things I dislike.

Fusion is annoying, there's no list of what makes what. So if you need say, a Valkyrie and don't have any way to make it offhand, good luck.

It sucks that only the MC can change his persona, because leveling is really slow and trying to get 3 levels for all the spells a persona can learn is tedious as heck.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

PubicMice posted:

Well, Exdeath is supposed to be an incoherent jumble of like 40 monsters, so mission accomplished?

I thought Exdeath was a tree. I have never played that game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
StarCraft 2's final expansion had a prologue come out.

It completely killed the last sliver of hope I had of the writing getting up to the, while hardly great, enjoyable level of writing that Brood Wars had.

Every character basically got swapped for awful WoW characters, half the backstory has been changed, they added like 10 characters with 0 explanation that everyone acts like they already know, and the voice acting isn't half as good. This isn't always Blizzard's fault, Zeratul's voice actor died, for example. But for some of the others, they just dropped the ball.

That's without going into the lackluster multiplayer and completely laughable custom game UI even five years later.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Thing dragging down an unreleased game: The really interesting looking Lily Bergamo by Grasshopper Manufacture got scrapped and turned into the way less good looking Let It Die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Riatsala posted:

I'm not a gun person, but akimbo pistols is one of those things I'd really like to try just once.

Anyway, I'm a veteran of the later 2D fire emblems, and I think Fire Emblem: Three Houses is fantastic. It's my first FE in 15 years and I love the greater game play variety and better narrative, but I think the visual style is a step down. That's not to say that I want it to be 2D, but the 2D games had better animations, better visual clarity, and some really outstanding sprite art for such small features. Three Houses, on the other hand, is not a pretty game. It's not an ugly game, but a lot of the textures are muddy and bland, the terrain is sometimes difficult to read, and a lot of the battle animations are second-rate. It almost seems like the developers are uncomfortable with 3D games in general, like the camera is pretty awful inside and outside of battle and the monastery feels blocky and not very intuitively laid out.

The way all of the skills use the same animation is super lame.

Moreso I wish the entire plotline with the Slithers was something that actually like, existed.