Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

U.T. Raptor posted:

Mass Effect 2 is a much better game than Mass Effect was, but it lacked a lot of the charm of the original and the overarching story was pretty haphazard.

Dragon Age 2 is just plain terrible.

Say what you will about execution, DA2's story of "hero is terrible at being a hero and brings down the lives of every companion they meet while simultaneously directly causing no less than two major crises" is infinitely more interesting than DA:O's "there is a big dragon!!" I'm not a super big overhead-tactics WRPG person so DA:O didn't really engage me on that front either, and while DA2 wasn't a particularly great action/tactics hybrid, the story at least kept me awake long enough to enjoy it.

Completely agreed on the Mass Effect front, though. ME2's combat implanted into ME1 would probably make ME1 one of my favorite games. ME1 went out of its way to pound in humans being the latecomers to the galactic stage and making the universe seem like this huge, unexplored, scary and wonderful thing full of possibilities both great and terrible, and the sense of scope and awe was a really wonderful feeling throughout the whole game (coincidentally, it captured what I was hoping Spore would do before its release). ME2 just kinda throws that out of the window because those minor mooks from the first game are now suddenly a catastrophic power for exactly one game and ??? gently caress space adventures it's time to get gritty. Boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Alouicious posted:

man, if only they knew they were writing that story when they were actually making the game

lol if you think the game ever portrays Hawke as anything other than a superpowered fuckup.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Alouicious posted:

i guess i didn't notice when they were giving me my own mansion and calling me the Champion and telling me how amazing i am

Good thing you alienate everyone and screw the pooch repeatedly in the main quest to make up for it!

Serious post: While you still get the typical "what a hero!" kind of stuff thrown in I feel like DA2 at least tried to make you feel like you weren't infallible as the protagonist and that instead of saving the day by the end of the game you've just made everything and objectively worse. The Friendship/Rivalry thing was a step in the right direction but the Friendship part should have been lopped off entirely and every party member should just be following you around until they get what they want out of you and leave at the most inopportune time. Unfortunately this was not a bold enough game to go all the way with it, and I'll never try to defend the game mechanically, but at least it was trying to be something at least a little bit more nuanced than the mindbogglingly generic So Epic schtick that DA:O had going for it, even if the execution of it was pretty poor.

At the very least, Awakening was pretty neat and it looks like Inquisition is also going to be neat in the same way, so that's good at least.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Alouicious posted:

even if intentional, the story of Dragon Age 2 is still utter poo poo as a video game story, somehow even worse than Dragon Age Origins which is an astonishingly low bar

Maybe it's just a matter of expectations. I went into the two games being told that Origins was God's gift to RPG players and was thoroughly disappointed by pretty much all of it, whereas going into DA2 being told it was beyond horseshit I was pleasantly surprised by it being pretty alright to me. V:shobon:V

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Finished all the Tricky Treasure levels in Rayman Origins, only to be rewarded with the Land of the Livid Dead :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7yPs0AvX8Q

I should of expected this, after the pure hell of the Tricky Treasure levels, and the game would have been far better with less collectibles to faff around with. Also, the penultimate level was pure hell and it took me 45 minutes to get right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exq_-OjXfIs

I dunno, those levels look awesome in a way that pretty much just sold me on Rayman Origins. :shobon:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

The one thing that really stood out to me, especially in Fallout 3, was that Bethesda has no idea how to design dungeons in a way that works with their terrible local maps. It was most apparent in the Vaults, where the staircases that wouldn't lead to a new world space would often loop back around and you'd have to figure out whether the markings on the map referred to the floor you were on or the one directly above you, because there was no real differentiation between the two. Compare this to New Vegas where the vaults fill a lot more horizontal space and it's painfully apparent that literally anyone except Bethesda can work with their engine better than they can. :v:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Paper Diamonds posted:

Also Sleeping Dogs is a terrible game and I only could stand about 30 minutes of it before I turned it off for good. GTA 4 and 5 are leaps and bounds better in every way. HtH

There needs to be a thread for gamers owning themselves with their terrible opinions.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Paper Diamonds posted:

Try sucking less

:master:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is literally the explanation Dark Souls players give me for why the game is so poorly documented.

There should be two separate categories for Dark Souls fans, one being fans and the others being apologists. Games that intentionally obscure things need to go whole hog (Legend of Zelda) or not at all or else it just interferes with the rest of the design being straightforward.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Mandatory motion controls for Prime makings things more tedious than before too

I dunno, I quite liked such luxuries as "being able to look upward and move at the same time," personally.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It kept losing track of where the wiimote was and made aiming a general hassle.

How do you lose track of it? It's literally where your hand is pointing, and visually indicated by an on-screen pointer as well as Samus also pointing her cannon arm in the direction of the pointer. Plus you turn the direction it's pointing in whenever it's not centered, which is a pretty solid indicator of where it is.

If you were playing with the control scheme where you have to move the cursor all the way to the edges of the screen I think that's your problem.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

A couple years back I got Sequence on sale for like three bucks because I like rhythm games and I'm only just now getting around to playing it and hoo boy does this game have some problems.

- There shouldn't even be a story to begin with, but if it were largely inoffensive it would get a pass. Unfortunately, it's this really weird trying-too-hard "snarky relatable guy" self-insert love(?) and MY HEROIC STRUGGLE story with a bunch of stilted dialogue and uncomfortably emotionless voice acting, which thankfully you can turn off. It plays like an awful JRPG fan fiction, and you can tell that the guy who wrote it thinks he's really clever. Any time there's a speech bubble you're going to get something eye-rolling at best or cringeworthy at worst. It doesn't help that you have to look at the smug protagonist during every fight and try not to get distracted by how mindbendingly generic he is.
- The RPG system is needlessly tacked on. There's no depth to it, even compared to other vaguely similar games like Puzzle Quest, and for whatever reason there's a material grinding system tacked onto the whole thing to boot. In addition to having to get enough drops, you also have to spend experience points in order to raise the chance of crafting something; luckily you don't lose the materials if you fail, but you can go down levels from spending too much XP which is a huge pain.
- The grinding for items exasperates the third problem, which is that the song selection is pretty drat sparse. There are seven floors, and three enemies to choose from on each. Each enemy on the first floor has its own song, the first boss introduces another one, and then the second floor... introduces no new ones at all. You'll be hearing pretty much the same songs for the entire length of the game, which would be fine if you only had to beat any given enemy once, but the item and experience grind makes sure that's not the case.
- The songs themselves just aren't that great. The game is really proud that it licensed music from Ronald Jenkees, this old Youtube star whose entire schtick is "goofy looking/sounding guy who can play ~totally epic~ keyboard riffs." He's a nice enough dude and can write a decent hook but when your gimmick is "sounds good for 20 seconds" and you're forced to listen to a bunch of meandering jam session-y stuff over and over it's just not super engaging. The other artist on the soundtrack is probably just whoever's friends with the dev because it's in sort of the same style, but even less notable.

I've always been a huge fan of DDR, and Stepmania + being a lazy kid meant I got really good playing the songs on controller, so it's exactly my kind of game. Managing three fields of play with differing levels of importance makes for a hectic but really rewarding experience, and managing between defense and offense in real time feels a lot like what ATB in Final Fantasy has been trying to do for years. That being said, it's a shame that literally everything surrounding the core gameplay is unimaginably terrible because it ruins an otherwise clever concept.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I have some kind of weird love with unlocking stuff, I will play a game to unlock stuff well past the time it stops being fun and still have fun unlocking stuff. I agree that it could be annoying and a party mode thing sounds like a good idea on those kind of games.

This is where I stand, with the exception that stuff like classes/characters shouldn't be unlocked for doing big hard endgame stuff. Rogue Legacy, which I thoroughly enjoyed, was really guilty of this - the secret class is a lot of fun for being a generalist that's actually good, but by the time you get to it you're already pretty much done with the game and have no reason to play it. Having a new game mode or something is a lot of work but is a really good way to renew interest in a game when you're tired of the regular way to play, or even just some bonus bragging rights equipment, but I feel like something that makes just enough of a difference as a class feels a bit wasted that late.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I think the thing I liked most about Oblivion gates compared to Skyrim's dragons were the fact that you had to trigger the gates by going to Kvatch. In Skyrim, if you want to make a sneaky thief character that focuses as little as possible on combat and just stealths her way through everything, you can still get a dragon fight forced on you out of nowhere because dragons are in the game from the very beginning. I'd definitely have preferred it if they made that mission where you go with Delphine and see Alduin reviving the other dragon from the burial mound happen earlier in the MQ and dragons don't start spawning until after that mission.

Dragons don't show up until you kill Mirmulnir at the watch tower, which takes you finishing Bleak Falls Barrow and returning to Whiterun to talk about it, after talking to the Jarl and court mage before about doing just that.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

"Doorbell rang while I was fighting this boss, do I quit, die, or ignore the door? :darksouls:"

I know goons loving fall all over themselves to defend Dark Souls (which is why the last thread barred talking about it) but really, sometimes real life intrudes and it would be nice to not be worrying about the game while I'm taking a piss or something.

God forbid you die in a video game!

fake e: Let alone one which is entirely focused around "you're going to die a ton and constantly."

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Leal posted:

You can make a game all about dying without mandating that you absolutely cannot pause when real life takes over.

All I'm saying is that if you're the kind of well-adjusted person who prioritizes real life intrusions over game progress, it really shouldn't bother you that much if you lose minimal progress from death, let alone in a game where the penalty for dying isn't particularly harsh, and can even be circumvented entirely in a nontraditional way.

Apparently a lot of goons game out of a bathroom in Grand Central Station though because they're being constantly interrupted to the point of not being able to play a game without it being chopped up into dozens of pause-screen-separated sequences.

Is it dumb that Dark Souls doesn't allow a proper pause? In some ways yes, but it's also a decision to support particular gameplay. Is this a reason to skip the game over entirely? No you dumb spergs just take a death on the chin every once in a while good lord.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

WickedHate posted:

It's a complaint in the video game complaint thread, you don't need to defend Dark Soul's honor, it's not going to cease existing from criticism of a single feature.

I'm not defending Dark Souls' honor (the game has enough flaws as it is), I just think it's absolutely bizarre that of all reasons this is a make-or-break feature for anyone, for any game.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

sorry I had you standing out in the rain for two minutes I really had to beat the lord of skeletons but bad video game designers wouldn't let me pause the game

I think he's advocating more for "who gives a gently caress about the video game" here.

e: Slice of Life: I was in a bad place when I got into LoL and Dota 2, and would frequently put off social obligations until a match was over, as I thought it was rude to up and disconnect from a game. As I started reassessing my lifestyle habits and how I related to games, I realized that progress in a video game is less important than making sure your friends don't hate you, and that any frustration you may feel from losing some MMR is probably not as great as the frustration of your friends seeing their friend cloister themselves away into video game hell. Moral of the story: don't be a nerd shut-in and let a greater emphasis on real life things free you from the bonds of a few experience points or what the gently caress ever.

Heavy Lobster has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Aug 24, 2014

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah, most of the time you can safely just walk away from the game, but not all the time, and honestly, the argument that "well you can stop playing by quitting to title" is not a justification for not having a pause. Pausing is a convenience that has been around in video games for 30 years, it's reasonable to expect every game to have some sort of pause option and when a game like Dark Souls does it in a bizarre and pointlessly circuitous way like that, that's definitely a Thing Dragging This Game Down. Which is why it's being brought up in this thread.

Yeah, I realized after making my posts that this was kind of the wrong place to fight that battle, but didn't really want to edit it out because I kinda deserve to have the Public Shame Record because of that. :shobon:

I still stand by not picking the game up at all because of no pause being the dumbest poo poo ever, but yeah, there are a few suggestions in-thread that would be nice to see come Bloodborne.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Leal posted:

Can't we just do a catch all and put in the title "Stop defending your favorite game"? Its kinda dumb to restrict a topic cause some nerds REALLY have to come out the woodwork defend their favorite game.

My favorite game is Tomba, thank you very much. :colbert:

RyokoTK posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating not buying Dark Souls, pause or not.

2house2fly posted:

The pausing thing is the exact reason I haven't played it and probably won't.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

The story of the CoC game is actually really fascinating and complicated, and its PC port even more so. Have a huge image explaining it all, it's really worth the read.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I just finished Sleeping Dogs and I have to say that I'm sorta disappointed in the ending. Sort of. I actually really liked everything about the ending in terms of plot points - Pendrew getting comeuppance was great, taking down Big Smile Lee was great because that guy is a monster, the ridiculous escape-from-torture-tower thing was really satisfying - but it was just so incredibly rushed. The cinematic not-fight between you and Lee was fine, and I think a fitting end of that plotline because Lee's whole thing with Wei is that the two of them are constantly exhausting the others' patience and tempers, but then like three separate plot points were introduced and resolved in about five minutes when they could have each had at least another mission drawn out of each. I want Pendrew to try to prosecute me after everything I did while making it out alive! I want to see Jiang come into power and have a talk with Wei about who he is and where his allegiance is! I don't want all of this to sort of happen in a really poorly written "and everything turned out okay!!" ending because all of those things are good ways to end the story, but not without the proper kind of development that the rest of the game had been so great at.

The rest of the game is fantastic enough to make up for it, and I've heard the DLC is also worth picking up, but that was kind of a frustrating way of wrapping things up. At the very least I'm sure there'll be an even bigger for the next game around, which I'm eagerly looking forward to.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Phantasium posted:

I didn't even know there was a walljump when I first played the game. So I learned to bomb jump out of it because I didn't want to start over.

Holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Kruller posted:

FF9 is the only game I've never made it even halfway through. It's just so thoroughly unengaging. FF8 has a weird story, but the ways they encourage you to break the game and become a walking god are fun, as is the card game. I'm not sure I could tell you anything about FF9 other than there's a play or something that takes way too loving long near the start, and then there's a weird tongue monster thing that joins your party. It just doesn't have any hook to grab you.

FF7 had the whole "wow it's 3D!" and the materia system. FF8 had Draw and Cards. FF10 had the sphere grid and voice acting that was almost good in some spots. FF12 had an actual good story in spite of Vaan.

FF6 had the entire game, though. drat what a fun game.

FF9's hook is the same as Tactics Advance's, which is to say "custom load your dudes with a shitton of cool skills." No coincidence that I love both games.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

People played Diablo 3 for like two years before it got better, though.

There is a very, very small contingent of people who actually thought that Final Fantasy 14 was better at launch. Not when A Realm Reborn launched, but when the original version launched. :v:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins again. This time I picked a human male, sword and shield character.

I picked his voice type as "Cocky", because, I don't know, I liked the timbre of it. But now, about every 4th or 5th right-click - to interact with things or move - he says, "Shall I get you a ladder so you can get off my back?!" And he just keeps doing it all the time. I'm about 5 hours in, but I have to start a new file, it's that bad.

Usually, the other voices will say things like, "Ok!", "Right", or "I'm going" when you right click; and this guy gets 5 seconds of snark that triggers all the drat time.

I ended up falling into the same trap and it is absolutely miserable. Even the normal acknowledgment is this really exasperated "awlright, AWLRIIGHT" and I have no idea how it got through testing as anything other than the joke voice.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Croccers posted:

Or you know like, first click fires Right gun, second fires Left and it just loving alternates.
:wtc:

This would imply you're playing a game made by competent developers.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Who What Now posted:

All quests are not equal, and not all of them are fun. I do my best to do as many quests as possible but there are usually a few that are simply frustrating and/or tedious. Quests that are simply a long drown out list of busy work such as collecting 20 WaggleBaggle Warts, where the WaggleBaggles are a very rare monster who are unfun to fight and only drops their warts 6% of the time and they are found on the other side of the map then I'm going to skip that quest unless it gives me a reward that's worth the tedium and frustration.

Usually not including poo poo like this is a sign of good game design

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

At this point I think jumping on Tiggum is simply the cool thing to do. If you actually read what he says instead of assuming he's saying something wrong, it's pretty reasonable. Mechanics like Assassin's Creed that show you the stuff on the map after you sync, and give you a list of the collectables is basically what he seems to be talking about. And he's right. poo poo that drags down games for me is when I have 1 collectable left and no clue where it is, or which I've collected.

Yeah but don't you get it? Going through an online checklist one by one and trying to remember where the other 99 feathers you got is the game not spoonfeeding you this, which would be bad because,

This is the kind of mindset that keeps Minecraft totally incomprehensible to newer players who don't have the luck to have gotten the console version, and lo and behold, the example you give is actually really great - the same thing happens in Sleeping Dogs and it's also a blast to just run around and take in the sights and occasionally divert toward something on your minimap without feeling obligated to do so unless you forget where it is.

I play games to have fun, and sometimes that fun is just running around and watching numbers go up, not combing every lovely back alley in Damascus for a banner I may have missed.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

I can live without the gaming telling me where everything is, if I get tired of searching I can go look up an image on gamefaqs or the thread for that game on these very forums.

The issue with wanting things to be listed like that in-game is that it spoils poo poo for the rest of us who don't want to just follow the map to find poo poo. Sure, in some games you can adjust the filter of the mini-map to make that poo poo go away and stop cluttering up my map, BUT that poo poo tends to get reset every time you load up the game or on some other conditions in the same playthrough. The AssCreed maps get so loving colored, especially with their monotone UI.

Exploration is fun for it's own sake, and if people wanna bitch out over it, they can spend two minutes on google to look it up. If that poo poo must be in a game, in should be disabled by default and hidden away. AssCreeIV has a whole button dedicated to that poo poo, and a pop that frequently shows telling me how many of what I have in a given location and it just makes me apathetic to finishing it because it no longer feels like exploration and collecting and more like a continually nagging that I haven't acquired 100% yet.

"But I have to check gamefaqs!" is the laziest loving whine, btw.

Looking down on people complaining about not wanting to go to a third-party site for collectible info while also complaining about how much of a hassle it is to turn off the collectible visibility options in game is pretty lol

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Sleepy Owl posted:

so whats the problem

well literally his next sentence was

Tiggum posted:

And most of them have nothing of value to say.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Sleepy Owl posted:

talking to those people usually takes no time whatsoever, since you can go on your way before they finish talking

I too love busywork in the thing I do expressly to have fun.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Sleepy Owl posted:

i get the impression that given a game that lets you set your own markers for fast travel you'd use it just to get from one side of a town to another

edit: a small town

Where you're going wrong with this is that you think we don't like the process itself, whereas what we're actually saying is that the way the process is implemented is poo poo. I love talking with townspeople if it doesn't necessarily further anything (hell one of my favorite series is Animal Crossing for pretty much exactly this reason), but what I don't like is having to listen to a bunch of lovely canned dialogue in order to get to content I actually want to get to. I'm okay with talking to NPCs if I don't get a quest from them if it's entertaining, I'm not okay with game developers making games with lovely writing.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Because I want to play all of the missions once without having to play any of the missions twice.

Wait, I can understand wanting to cut out busywork, but why care so much about seeing all the content of a game you probably don't like enough to get through the better parts of again? Like, that implies on a certain level that you think it's unfun to begin with.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Coin boxes in Mario Kart 8 are great.

Coins are almost entirely useless and you can't stack items anymore, so if you're in second or third and you get a couple coin boxes in a row, welp you're not catching up and you have no defense from people behind you.

Yeah, the coin powerup's inclusion is absolutely baffling other than as a gently caress you to you for expecting to get an item for hitting an item box. It's even still there when items are set to Frantic, and at not really any less of an appearance rate, which I feel kinda defeats the purpose to begin with. Honestly, Mario Kart not having a Smash-style item toggle by now is ridiculous anyway.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Breath of Fire III/IV also had good fishing minigames that hinged on figuring out which baits and lures caught which fish where, and were also entirely optional/attached onto good games.

Someone provide commentary if Legend of the Fisher King on GB was a good game or not, I always wanted it as a kid but haven't really bothered tracking down a copy.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Binding of Isaac looks like it might be a fun Zelda-like game, but its aesthetic looks like something that I would have mocked back in high school. It's the kind of "edgy" dead-baby garbage that died when Invader Zim was taken off the air.

Edmund McMillen is pretty much the last holdout in gaming of this kind of thing, which is funny because even the Newgrounds flash games that started the style to begin with have moved on. McMillen is literally incapable of moving past early 2000s Newgrounds-era humor and it is absolutely fascinating to me.

Also BoI: Rebirth looks terrible but so did the first, they're both incredibly low-effort art directions and Rebirth is even worse because good pixel art isn't vector art with a different brush, but that's exactly what Rebirth went for. Plus I can't think of any GBA games that actually had a style that looked anything like Rebirth because the GBA's resolution was tiny and could never get away with as much visual dead space on sprites as Rebirth goes for.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

The vector flash animation style is still pretty heavily used in western animation, and that's probably the reason why alot of people prefer those.

Like in My Little Pony :can:

Vector animation as an animation style can be perfectly fine if a bit stiff, and has nothing to do with how McMillen's art is 40% black outline.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

FNaF adverised on FurAffinity, even if you give the creator the benefit of the doubt he certainly knows his audience.

quote:

"Were you going to start without me, again?!" He hears as a very feminine chicken comes into the room,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

I honestly don't understand why achievements are standard practice now instead of being made fun until they went away like the nGage.

The whole "un-fun achivement" thing isn't meant for players, it's meant for devs. Widespread achievements in games is an incredibly easy and elegant way for developers to track what content in their games is getting done by what percentage of the buyer population and allows them to adjust future releases accordingly.