Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I actually just restarted Joker yesterday after having not played it since launch and HOO boy is the difficulty curve loving miserable without grinding. The first move of the first boss fight was the boss making a critical hit against my healer, killing him instantly, and I hadn't saved in long enough to make restarting worth it. It ended with only one of my monsters alive, that monster jumping up six levels at once, and then me turning off the game about half an hour later after realizing I'd have to spend way too loving long grinding up the rest of my team to that one's level so that things would stop two-shotting everyone but him. I knew I had more tolerance for the JRPG grind in high school, but holy moly. It doesn't help that the combat animations, menu speed, and load in and out of battles are all sooooo slooooow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Joker was just bad. DQM has its fair share of grinding sure, but it wasn't as bad as that. One thing that genuinely annoys me about the Square/Enix partnership is that they've been turning DQ into FF. Maybe I'm a retard who likes nostalgia. But I don't like the combat animations. Have you played DQIX? Battles take three times as long as they should because of the slow rear end animations, then you have to slowly pan around the battlefield and then you have to take like five seconds a piece to tell you if you gained any HP or MP back or got hurt by poison. It doesn't help that the game is ridiculously easy, I managed to beat it without grinding at all, without even dying once. I just blitzed through it but then they pile on an endlessly grindy post-game. Square is dragging down one of my favorite JRPG franchises. And yes I am just letting my biases place the blame solely on square.

Just to be positive for a second, I'm genuinely enjoying the mobile Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light. It's far from perfect but I'm having fun with it, trying to raise the perfect slime.

It's funny, I could actually put up with DQ9's slowness because I really liked seeing my characters actually wear all the armor I bought for them. My favorite DQ for the longest time was 3, and 9 really felt like 3-2, so it was great for a while, but what honestly killed my interest in it is that the framerate when doing basic poo poo like moving around town was probably a steady 15 at best, which is A) completely unacceptable, and B) a great way to give me an eye-strain headache if I played for more than a half hour at a time. I'd love if DQ9 got a remaster, but that's years away at this point.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Radiation doesn't make scorpions the size of cars! No, no, nothing about this makes sense at all!

This is an impressively disingenuous comeback in defense of a game as half-thought-out as Fallout 3.

Bar Crow posted:

Despite all this, the worst plan of Fallout 3 is still Little Lamplight. A bunch of smug brats hiding behind the fact that they are invincible due to video game ratings. Nothing about them makes sense.

Little Lamplight feels like it was put in entirely to poke at a vocal minority on prerelease forum discussions of the game without realizing that putting nerd oneupmanship as part of your game's main plot might be a bad idea. It's a lot like how M'aiq in Oblivion and Skyrim just existed to refer to cut features, except you have to go through it if you want to do the one major questline in the game.

Heavy Lobster has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Oct 21, 2015

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I felt map woes in a different way. The level design of the vaults in Fallout 3 made zero effort to work around the local map having no "view only one floor" function, so you had a bunch of staircases leading to hallways that crossed back in on themselves over and over, making actually navigating them pretty much impossible unless you remember every turn on the way in.

Of course, in another case of Obsidian knowing how to work with Bethesda's engine better than Bethesda does, New Vegas' vaults were a lot more horizontally spaced out so this was hardly a problem there.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

The whole thing is like a Diablo Cody movie without charming actors to carry it.

So, like a Diablo Cody movie?