Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cleretic posted:

The only bad thing about Wind Waker's forced stealth section is that it's far too early.

I spoke about this a long while ago in the last thread, but I'm going to summarize what a good stealth section in a non-stealth game would need. I'm gonna use Zelda games as examples, because yeah, Zelda's got a bit of a love of them.

Yeah, The Wind Waker should have allowed you to escape if you were spotted, rather than forcing you to do the entire section over again. However, the enemy you do fight without the sword teaches you about the weapons they drop and how to use them, or even using items like pots as weapons. It does seem a bit weird making you go through Orca's sword training, then not allowing you to use the sword for a long time. You get dumped on Windfall Island after the Forsaken Fortress without even a boss fight, so it's not until the first dungeon that you actually do a lot of combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

scarycave posted:

What is it about multi-player Mario games that turns everyone into monsters?
Making a co-op game competitive sort of defeats the purpose.

Four Swords (either the gba or gamecube) are also guilty of this. There's just so much betrayal.

Co-op Mario is kinda like Battletoads, since its friendly fire meant that the most dangerous thing in the game was the other player, even if they weren't trying to hit you.

I'm fine with unintentionally screwing each other in games like Worms, but when you've been stuck on the same level in Mario for 15 minutes, I'd rather just get it over with.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Lap-Lem posted:

Mario Kart 8, Great game, really fun. But here's my sticking point. I have two daughters and they love playing the game. They are quite young. The two of them play together on 50cc with Easy Com and they both come in 1-5th place. Pretty good. So I pick up a controller to join them, and we keep it at 50cc with easy coms. But I jump into first place because Easy coms and 50cc is way to easy for me and the game just decides on the fly to ramp up the difficulty. If I play with my daughters they will always come in 11th and 12th place because the WiiU decides because I am good enough for harder racers then screw the kids. It's pretty lame, My daughters still love racing with me, but for Christ's sake why can't they just let me race way up front and let them have fun instead of slingshotting every com player 1 lap ahead of them? Or take 2-5th place and have them on my rear end and leave the rest in 50cc Easy land? If they absolutely must punish a guy for playing below his ability level. It gets to the point where I want my girls to hit a dude with a shell, so I have to stop playing. Boo, Nintento, Booooo.

It makes me wish the series had a handicap option like Smash Bros. It was great in Melee, because it made even someone just mashing the A button and the analogue stick a real challenge, because they'd just shrug off your attacks and anything they hit you with sent you flying. Brawl ruined it by just making you start off each life with a high damage %, so you'd also have to tweak the damage modifier so that the rounds aren't a lot shorter. It also meant that two players with a very high handicap would be able to kill each other very easily, rather than only the player with the low handicap being able to kill them easily.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Can you change your character or main pawn in Dragon's Dogma during the game? It sucks that you get such an in-depth creator, but are locked in to a single character and AI buddy for the whole thing. Saints Row lets you change everything at a plastic surgeon, so they could just have the magical equivalent.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I'm feeling very justified atm in my decision to abandon MP3 halfway through the second level. It was critically acclaimed so I felt slightly embarrassed like it was my fault for disliking it. As you do.

This, but for Metroid Prime 3. Having the game split up into different planets makes it feel more like the first Ratchet & Clank than a Metroid game. I'm going to push on though, but I still like the previous two games better, with Metroid Prime being brilliant, and Metroid Prime 2 being the Lost Levels version of it, with the Screw Attack thrown in for good measure.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I like Echoes a little more than Prime for various reasons (unimportant, because that's not what the thread is for), but gently caress Corruption. It's not a terrible game, but it's such a letdown because while MP1 and 2 have their annoying parts, MP3 is oftentimes just plain bad. And not only in a "this boss sucks holy poo poo" way (though it HAS THAT IN SPADES), but also in a "10 minute backtrack through identical corridors yaaaaaaaaay" way which is the worst kind of bad - the boring one.

I liked Metroid Prime 2 a lot as well, partially because I played it before the first one, and also because it was one of the most visually polished Gamecube games I've ever seen, while still running at a solid 60 fps. Prime 3 just doesn't stack up to Prime 2's wonderful organic and mechanical environments, and puts a horrible bloom filter over it.

Most of the team that worked on the first two games had left by the time Prime 3 had started, and its development was apparently cut short thanks to Other M. It's still a far better game in every respect compared to that one.

Prime 2 was a challenging game, but I feel like it helps the oppressive and lonely atmosphere. Like the Lost Levels, which I also had a lot of fun with, it's designed to test the players who have already mastered the first game. This kind of unforgiving design doesn't feel like something Nintendo would do since the Wii came out, and a lot of their series have lost their fangs to some degree (Zelda in particular), or have been absent entirely. They're still publishing games like Punch-Out, Sin and Punishment, and Fatal Frame (in Japan at least), even though F-Zero and Star Fox are out of the question for some reason.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Motion control shooting in the Prime Trilogy is fantastic and a great incentive to replay the older games (again!) because it works just so well. I also really don't mind the waggle to open doors because of course they have to do that because ~**Wii**~ and Nintendo probably would have skewered them or something, and it so doesn't matter for doors.

The Lasso in bossfights, however, is terrible and a single failure because of it not registering correctly is already too much. I get why they put it in, but it's not forgiving enough, basically - could have been good if it didn't randomly fail. (eagerly awaiting tons of posts by people who never had a problem - it's fine, I also didn't have too many issues with it, but I watched a friend play and he just couldn't get it to work consistently and it was the worst thing. Maybe he didn't jerk enough :mmmhmm:)

Yeah, the motion controls worked great in the Trilogy versions of Prime 1 and 2, because they're only used for aiming, which is the Wii remote's best feature. It's not handled quite as well as Resident Evil 4, because in that game the analogue stick is used to pan left and right, while in the Prime games you need to hold the cursor near the edge of the screen. One of the big problems with the Wii remote was that aiming too far away from the screen will stop it from working, so it's still difficult to turn around quickly. It's like an analogue stick that stops responding if you push it too far in each direction.

It's weird how well Gamecube games like Metroid Prime, Pikmin, and Resident Evil were adapted to use the new aiming controls, but having the controller split in two doesn't feel that great for games like Super Mario Galaxy.

scarycave posted:

Been replaying Sonic 06 - I noticed that when you get hit, if you try to pick up a ring you'll push it away instead with the havok engine.
This is a bad thing because this game is more "combat focused" and likes to place enemies that you have to fight all over the place.
Also, I forgot you can't hit enemies by jumping any more for some reason.

"Speed segments" are also way worse than I remember (the first one anyways) and is probably the reason why I'm not to big on Unleashed.
My little brother also couldn't finish a level in battle mode because Silver couldn't get up.

Sonic '06 is easily one of the funniest games I've ever played, and I've been doing the hard versions of levels with my capture card to show off the incredible glitches. In the first boss, against the giant robot cat thing, doing a homing attack sent me flying off into the stratosphere. I've also managed to get myself stuck on walls and ceilings, and still able to walk around while upside-down.

If I really hated myself I'd buy the extra hard DLC.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Godhand/Vanquish have the best videogame ladders. Instead of climbing them you just instantly jump to the other end.

Resident Evil 4's the same, but only when going down. Leon even jumps down when the ladder's two stories tall, like the one in the clock tower in the village. If you've got Ashley with you, then you need to catch her as well.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

scarycave posted:

Been trying to get an S rank in the "End of the World" stage in Sonic 06. Its not going well.
I still like the game better than Generations but that just might be the Stockholm syndrome kicking in.
You pretty much have no freedom in movement from Sonic Unleashed - Generations which to me, kills the purpose of a 3d platformer.
Granted in the adventure games it was somewhat a straight line you did have some illusion of freedom and reason to actually look around areas at times.

Anytime Generations or Unleashed tried to edge you to move around in a 3d game manner, its incredibly awkward and really easy to fling yourself off of literally everything.

Holy moley.

I agree that the newer games aren't suited to precision 3D platforming, especially since you'll often either drop short or boost yourself right past it, but it's nowhere near as poorly executed as in Sonic 06.

I'm still prefer how Sonic Adventure 2 controlled, at least for the Sonic and Knuckles style of levels. It felt really precise and responsive no matter what speed you were going at. The worst controlling games are definitely Heroes and Shadow, because it seemed impossible to slow yourself down without just doing a u-turn and running full speed in the other direction.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There are still a lot of things I like about the first Ratchet & Clank, such as how levels usually give you two or three paths to explore, some which require an item to enter and some which reward an item for completing. You also often have multiple planets to explore at once, so it's pretty flexible in letting you choose what order to tackle things in. It also makes it more interesting to replay, especially if you know where to find the most useful items early on.

While they improved the combat in the sequel with a strafe button, and the ability to level up your weapons and health, the difficulty is just through the roof. They added a difficulty select in the PS3 games, and even those on hard were nowhere near as challenging as Ratchet & Clank 2. The problem is that a lot of weapons' animations lock you in place unless you're constantly side-jumping, and you really have to keep close to the enemies since it's impossible to aim without the lock-on target. Ratchet & Clank 3 is everything the second game tried but done right, and like The Last Crusade it also brings back some of my favourite characters from the original (and like Sonic 3 & Knuckles I have no idea why some people prefer the second game in the series).

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

The difficulty is the same as ever. Turn it up to Hard if you're not being challenged.

And I'm still laughing at people who are mourning the trashy Flash scribble art, like this: ha ha ha ha haaaa

The only thing I'm missing from the original is the music. There's a mod for the PC version, but I'll wait until it's a bit further along before installing it.

That's not to say I don't like the new music, and there are some great sound effects like the discord that plays whenever the Devil Room is opened.

I've also been playing Rebirth on Hard from the start, and it definitely is an uphill struggle. There are very few health drops, but enemies still do the same damage, so you just need to get better at getting through unscathed.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There needs to be some way to skip past the tutorials at the start of each Pokemon game. I don't care if it's singing the TV show theme from memory.

New mechanics like mega evolutions do need tutorials, as well as things that were added in a remake like Pokemon being able to follow behind you, but we don't need to be told that having 0 hp is a bad thing every time we play a new entry.

While most tutorials can just be skimmed through by tapping A, the worst thing is not being allowed to sprint for the first half hour, just because the game doesn't trust you to grasp the concept of holding a button to move faster.

I can't remember if any of the games after Fire Red and Leaf Green were as bad about this, but the same goes for any game that restricts intuitive or useful mechanics just because it wants to introduce everything one at a time. For instance, Paper Mario's combat is incredibly basic until you're told about timed attacks, while in the sequel you can do them from the very first battle, along with B-button parries and stunts to show off to the audience.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

It would be amazing if at the beginning of every nintendo game you could go into the options from the word start and click "I've played every Zelda/Mario/Pokemon since their inception, I'm good" button and the game just cuts out all the tutorials.

Austrian mook posted:

Comparing pretty much anything to TTYD isn't going to be fair though. That game is literally perfect.

:hfive:

At least it's got better with some series, like A Link Between Worlds getting you to the action more quickly.

Kingdom Hearts also had horribly long tutorials in KHII and Days, but was much more brief in Birth by Sleep. At least the new command system and ability melding made more sense than the dozens of new mechanics crammed into 3D.

scarycave posted:

In KH:Dreamdrop, unlike most of the other games in the series, you don't have disney characters helping you fight and instead get to make monsters to function as party members in a sort of FFXIII-2 fashion. To make them, you have to farm for a gently caress ton of materials. You can use an even greater of gently caress ton materials to increase their base stats at creation and their rank.

As compensation though, you can feed your monsters treats to buff them up and get rid of elemental weaknesses and so on. You cannot directly feed your monster however, you just throw food up from the bottom screen to the top screen where your monsters are bumbling around and they'll sort of wander around the treats proximity for maybe 1-2 minutes before they generally notice it. And when they do, there's a good chance another monster (one your probably just getting abilities out of and will not use after that) will swoop down and take it instead.

They made getting abilities such a chore in that game. If you've got to have a pet raising mechanic, make it like Chao in the Sonic Adventure games, where playing the main game lets you improve your pets, rather than raising your pets to improve you in the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Games that rely on auto-save should be the type that have no missable content whatsoever, like a puzzle game or a platformer.

It should be in games where there's no way to make 'negative progress'. For instance, Super Mario Galaxy asks you whether you want to save every time you get a star, and there's no reason not to. You can replay any part of the game at any time. The only bad thing you can do to yourself is throw away all your starbits. The sequel thankfully did use autosave.