Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The logs in Rise show that the rank-and-file soldiers are mercenaries that don’t really know anything about their employer or why they want the artifact so bad, they’re just told to grab it and kill anyone who gets in the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I think it's a bit wasted in SR2 anyway though, since there's an obviously correct way to do it. Maero's offer in the first Brotherhood mission makes no sense if you've already taken down either of the other two gangs and the Ronin storyline leads directly into the Ultor one, so it's obviously got to be Brotherhood first, Samedi second, Ronin third. You could do them simultaneously but then that causes more Pushbacks to occur, which is a nuisance. Being able to pick seems neat but I don't think it really end up adding any value.

I think Maero’s offer works even if you’ve taken over more than 20% of the city, being a cocky bastard who’s convinced that he’s invincible and can wipe you out no matter how successful you’ve been against the other gangs is 100% in line with his character.

If anything I think it works better that way, otherwise he’s offering 20% of the whole city to a gang of about 10 people that just barely survived being wiped out a few years prior.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

That’s probably the joke but honestly a 6th playthrough of Dark Souls really is a better use of your time than playing any of the new Wolfensteins post-TNO

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I don’t have any strong feelings about the merits of one vs the other but the system that they were originally going for with 2— overheat-based but you had a limited number of clips that you could reload to instantly reset the heat—sounded like a really interesting compromise between the two and I wish they could have worked that out.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Don't they end up saying the revolution was a Templar plot to destroy the poor noble aristocracy lol

It’s been a long time but my memory is that they went way out of their way to not show either side as the good or bad guys. Like both the Assassins and Templars had agents on both sides of the revolution working to make sure that their organization comes out ahead regardless of how the power struggle plays out.

Which is honestly a more interesting way of doing the battling secret societies influencing history than just “one group is on this side, the other group is on the other” but it was clearly just done to avoid accusations of being political

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dragon Age: Origins is the only time I can think of where "Origins" worked as a subtitle because the titular origins were a huge part of the fun of the game.

When that game was first being marketed before its release I thought it looked cool, so I spent a while trying to find the first game in the series because I figured the “Origins” meant that it was a prequel to something.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Machinegames gets worse and worse with each game. It’s actually quite impressive.

It really is incredible, I loved TNO, TOB kinda went back and forth between “just okay” and “pretty good,” and TNC might just be the worst game I’ve ever played. Now I kinda want to play TNO again to see whether or not it was actually as good as I thought it was back in 2014

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I mean, if there's a cool character, playing through whatever made them cool would be great when done well.

I liked Arthur and all but I think I would have enjoyed RDR2’s story more if John were the main character again and it was about his and Dutch’s relationship souring, rather than seeing it through the eyes of some new guy we’d never heard of before having his own drama that John’s just kind of a part of. I feel like I would have preferred either that or it just being a whole new story in the turn of the century, last days of the west setting with maybe minimal nods to the first game like they do with the GTAs, rather than the in-between sort of thing they actually did.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

In Gears of War: Tactics there's an option to toggle off "mature content" which says it gets rid of strong language. I was hoping it would make my squad of beef monsters start saying stuff like "holy smokes" or "dang it to heck" but instead it censors it with a static sound effect. Very dissapointing.

Censors like that are always funny to me. I started Berserk and the Band of the Hawk for the first time the other day and before I started it asked if I wanted to turn off the blood and gore. Who the gently caress bought a Berserk game hoping to not see blood and gore

I would switch it off sometimes for Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise because that made it look more like the show, though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Haytham was a really fun character and I was annoyed that you got to play as him for the first like 45 minutes and then spent the rest of the game with the most boring protagonist the series has ever had. Give Haytham his own game

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

:lmao: I just broke down and bought another bigger microSD card for my Switch because I could not clear enough space for a 20-something GB game between the system memory and the small card I have in there :rip:

The nice thing is that Switch games are so small compared to other systems so once you upgrade you never have to think about it again. I’m constantly having to juggle which games I have installed on my PS4 and to a lesser degree the Xbox, but I bought a 256 GB microSD card for the Switch and installed every game I own on it and I’m just over half capacity.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bogmonster posted:

But the absolute worst thing is the companion Sera. It's like someone saw Joss Whedon's schtick and decided to write a wacky lesbian elf who like, fights the power man, and is really sassy and good at stuff. I mean, none of the characters are brilliant but Jesus she is bad. I don't remember it being this lovely in Dragon Age 1.

Sera feels like she was written as a self-deprecating joke making fun of the worst stereotypes of Bioware characters and writing, then executed by someone who wasn’t in on the joke

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Permadeath makes you play differently even with infinite rewinds. Without permadeath you can use strategies where you sacrifice half of your units every map. With it you need to figure out strategies where they all survive. I didn't like Three Houses that much though so idk.

Yeah I’ve been playing Awakening without perma death to try and finally actually finish it instead of the “play 12 chapters or so and then put it down for long enough that I restart when I finally get back to it, rinse and repeat” cycle that I’ve been in for years. I thought it would just be like an easy baby mode that I could blast through pretty quick but it actually just changes the strategy and your whole way of thinking about the mission—now you can sacrifice units like chess pieces but at the cost of them not being able to gain XP or raise support levels for the rest of the match, which is a big enough deal to disincentivize you from sacrificing them too readily

I don’t know if I like it better than perma death, I feel like I’m still going to play most Fire Emblem games with perma death on, but I was surprised that it’s basically a different experience entirely instead of just an easy mode

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yakuza 4 has you play as 3 new characters for the first 75% of the game, and then when you play as Kiryu he’s already about as strong at level one as the other characters are towards the end of their sections and he starts with a bunch of abilities from the previous game already unlocked.

My favorite is that Yakuza 3 introduced a feature where if you used a heat action enough times you’d unlock the ability to do a follow-up attack for a little extra damage. In 4 Kiryu’s heat attacks have the follow-up by default and using it enough unlocks a second follow-up

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

I love Far Cry 4 so much, but the eagles in that can gently caress right off. They're literally just the game rolling a die and taking a chunk of health off every time it lands on a six.

It rules that everyone loving hated the snakes in 3 because you could hardly ever see them coming, their attacks were pretty much unavoidable, and instead of just doing some damage they’d take control of your character away from you for a several-second cutscene of your character flailing wildly at it, and Ubisoft’s takeaway was “what if the snakes... could fly?”

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Some Capcom devs said in a recent-ish interview that they're open to the idea of an entirely new Battle Network game but need to consider all the factors (whatever that means), so I wouldn't be surprised if a Legacy collection (possibly with Star Force) drops eventually to test the waters.

Next year is the series 20th anniversary so I’d bet a modest sum of money that we get a legacy collection then

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve only ever had it happen once for each stance, after I first unlock it. Is it happening more than that for you? I play with a lot of the display turned off, maybe that has something to do with it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Can't stop playing Ghost of Tsushima with the black-and-white Kurosawa filter, but it does lead to a couple gripes. You lose some of the color-based information about enemy strikes, since the tells are now just white, and I'll occasionally wander around right by a prompt icon without seeing it because their gray color is now camouflaged well with the background. Neither are game-breaking, and I appreciate them providing the filter as an option, I just wish they'd done a couple of tweaks when it's applied to smooth out those rough edges.

I wish it was like the old and new graphics in the Halo 1 and 2 remasters, where you can switch it on and off whenever with a button press, because it works really well sometimes and not so much at others and it would be nice to be able to quickly swap back and forth without having to dig through menus all the time

Also I play with the enemy display stuff turned off, but for some reason turning off Kurosawa mode turns all that back on which is annoying

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

If you’re playing Ghost of Tsushima with the Japanese voice track, the haikus very obviously don’t have anywhere near the right number of syllables, which annoys me more than it probably should. I guess they wrote them in English following the 5-7-5 rule then just translated them into Japanese without worrying about the syllable count. It’s the most minor thing in the world but I have to try really hard not to think about it or it drives me nuts

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

smuh posted:

This is because they aren't haiku in the Japanese localization, but more general Waka poetry. Haikus didn't even exist when GoT takes place so it's actually more accurate too, but all anyone knows about Japanese poetry are haikus so that's what they went with I guess :shrug:

That makes sense, in English they all follow the 5-7-5 pattern without exception so I thought it was a translation thing, it didn’t occur to me that they’d do whole different poetry styles between the two translations. I just thought it was funny once when the third line that the subtitles had as a quick 2 or 3 word sentence of 5 syllables had Jin go on for like a full 15 seconds in Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I didn't even consciously realize there was a perfect dodge, I've never done one and my brain just kinda lumped it in with perfect parries, which I can do by accident from time to time :sweatdrop:

It’s a skill you buy. The timing is really tight, most of the time I’ve done it it’s because I was getting ready to parry an attack and only realized it was unblockable at the last possible instant