Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Honestly though it's just annoying as poo poo.

Pretty much how I'd describe The Evil Within in general, too many bizarre design decisions to count. The RE4 style of 3rd-person shootman they invented was practically perfected in Shadows of the Damned so in its third iteration you'd think they'd spend their time on perfecting the little things but of course they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

natetimm posted:

Why do the weapons in Dark Souls 2 break so quickly? It's annoying.

This literally turned into a non-issue for me after my first weapon broke and I was aware it was even a thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In the PS2 era both ICO and Prince of Persia got a huge amount of praise for having worlds that were seamless and lived-in and felt like real architecture rather than a bunch of self-contained rooms full of puzzles and monsters.

Haha, I'm sorry, what? Prince Of Persia was gamey as all hell and it had too. Like for instance how the sultans palace was over a hundred floors tall and the only way to open doors was by jumping across deadly chasms or by doing block-puzzles. Not to mention doors that are inoperable without the Prince's power of slowing down time or by having 2 individuals. You can't tell me that anyone lived day2day in this setpiece after setpiece of a palace.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've been playing a lot of Neo Svavenger and its one of the finest survival games ever done but there's just one thing that peeves me off immensely about it. The loving Blue Rot mechanic is the dumbest thing ever. It's basically wasteland ebola and you get it by coming into fisticuffs with the Blue Preachers. They will actively track you across the map and even ambush you in your sleep so it's pretty much always just a matter of time until one of them gets too close. Once the sickness is contracted it takes 3-5 in-game days for it to get terminal and then you have a 1/3 chance of becoming immune or else you die. The only way to cure it is by supposedly finding some event location but good luck doing that in time if you haven't already found it as the game world is like 50x50 large and the hexagon you're looking for is one of those 2500. It's just so incredibly loving arbitrary.

"Oh you lost the 1/3 lottery? Please start over again." :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I was playing trough Dungeon of the Endless all merrily when my run got ended by one of my original pair of characters killing the other while on the elevator to level 5 or something which is so loving dumb. I get that this is how they've chosen to tell their story but couldn't that just as well have happened at the end of the run instead where it doesn't gently caress me over? :negative:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

The problem though is that "demoing"games leaves you with a copy that's even more buggy than the retail due to the lack of patches and new bugs introduced by circumventing the drm.

For instance the Unity face bug was solved for most players by the day one patch (not that Unity lacks other problems.)

I'd hate to break this to you but in the brave year of 2014 day-1 patches get pirated too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

The Evil Within's dedication to not ever explaining anything is starting to wear pretty thin.

The Evil Within is the horror equivalent to monkey cheese humour.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I'm trying to remember - wasn't part of the problem that the fishing instructions in-game in NieR were flat-out wrong?

People started fishing at the pro-fisher pier where only sharks swim instead of the intended shallow-beach 10m from there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

scarycave posted:

Now a quest that I really hate in that game, and have yet to do it, is a quest where you have to grow some pink seeds by farming.
Wouldn't be such a pain if the game didn't do that stuff in real time so you have to wait half an actual day to see if you get lucky.n.

I will never stop being amazed by people that actually did the side quests in Nier. They are literally just there to make completionists suffer. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

scarycave posted:

I wouldn't know if that's true or not.
This was a thing in the thedarkid lp thread.

scarycave posted:

On the topic of Nier though, the second act feels really rushed. All the two dungeons you have to go through have been gone through before with little to no changes and it feels like its just padding the game out.

Did you play through newgame+ after the final boss? This is important. :ohdear:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

This is more a general flowchart for any game's sidequests, really. At least I mentally go through this every time I see a sidequest in Xenoblade or something.

I don't think I did any side quests pass the opening area ones in Xenoblade Chronicles. I absolutely no idea what appeal people find in doing that tedious poo poo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oldstench posted:

I did a fuckload of them from the start up to the the area after you fight metal-face in the cave (don't recall the area name - some jungle-ish location). At that point I had completely burned myself out and haven't touched it since. I thought I'd have to grind them to keep my level up to snuff. Turns out you don't!

Until you actually do late game. Somewhere around the factory I became familiar with the worlds most annoying gameplay mechanic. If an enemy is more than 5 levels above yours it literally becomes invincible. :bravo:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Nope. Guess who was stuck on a level 50 boss for two hours and had to grind out sidequests in the immediate area and find a bunch of landmarks because they happened to be level 44. :shepface:

I feel your pain. :negative:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

scarycave posted:

No, I still haven't got to the castle because farming.

Forget about that and get on with finishing the game. NewGame+ drops you off back at the end of the timeskip and is the most interesting part of the entire game. You'll notice almost immediately why that is when you get there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Can't say I've had a problem with my sticks getting looser because of MGR but my pants get a bit tighter when I turn it on

Words cannot describe the invigorating climax that follows slicing a Metal Gear Ray from head to tail.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mitochondritom posted:

Playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is immensely irritating because you have a selection of 9 different characters to party with, but you can only ever have two of them with you (this is also a problem that plagues every Bioware game post Baldurs Gate II). In this game your main character is a Jedi, meaning you mainly focus on force powers and lightsabers, leaving you to pretty much have to choose Mission or a the R2 guy as one of the slots so that they can disarm traps, unlock boxes and hack computers. Effectively you then have one slot to fill. I have played the game a few times and literally never used Juhani, Carth or Zallbaar because they are not quite as interesting as other characters. I am glad larger party isometric style RPGs are making a small comeback.

If you pick Soldier followed by Guardian when you reach the enclave in every single one of your playthroughs then yes, you're doomed to 1 utility party-member at all times. In pretty much all other situations, no. I mean for fucks sake my last playthrough was a dual-pistelero scoundrel main character, Canderous and loving melee Carth. Plus, the game is easy as balls after the first play through so really you're the one arbitrarily limiting yourself, it isn't necessarily a fault of the system.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tardcore posted:

poo poo so they're scattered across the whole world map then?

Goddamn. :golfclap:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

get good at the thread, noob

PYF thing dragging this thread down

In actual content, Mini-metro not having a Stockholm map is a travesty.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Who What Now posted:

"Beep Boop What Is Fun Must 100% Game In Most Efficient Way Possible Error Error Error Error "

Except that you literally have to play with that mindset due to the level-scaling system turning every boss-mob into a boring drawn-out slog if you don't.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Some people just want some dumb toys, man. Not have to worry about going to specific stores and praying that shut-in nerds didn't take them all first because the people making them will literally never make another one again for no reason at all other than gently caress you. It's a bit of a drag when people do poo poo like that.

Artificial resource shortages are the loving worst.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

After having seen the AI-companion system of Revelations I have to ask, is there even a single person left that worked on resident evil 4&5? 4 had it down to perfection, an AI-partner that wouldn't get in your way that you could literally stuff into a garbage bin if you wanted too. 5 had to make some concessions due to the CO-OP but at least the AI had weapons so it could help somewhat. Revelations 2 on the other hand is just a bug-loving retarded combination of the two.

"Lets have an AI companion which will run into danger while being unable to help in any matter or form" :downs:

The game in total seems to be a huge improvement over 5&6 but god drat...

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Mar 9, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

kazil posted:

Maybe Assassin's Creed just follows the rule of Star Trek Movies.

Only play the even numbered rifftraxed ones.

Don't tell me it wouldn't improve the cutscene drudgery immensely. :colbert:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

The picture at the end of the article is worth posting for anyone who doesn't care to read it.

That's some sweet n64 texture work! Oh wait...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Quite frankly its easier to just kill everyone in the bunker.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Yeup, I've basically tried every fix in every forum about Pillars to no avail. It really sucks because I want to enjoy this game, I really want to get my $50 worth of crpg goodness out of it but it just won't let me. When it does run it lags like crazy and then just freezes and crashes every 5-10 minutes at most. Apparently it's trying to pull something like 2-3gigs of ram just to move across the map. :wtc:

If it runs on my incredibly lovely and weak Macbook Air then it should run on anything made in the last 5 years.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I played the first Borderlands and thought it was alright, but from the complaints in this thread it seems like they went out of their way to make it more annoying with the level scaling and forced memes. On the other hand, there's a thin line between annoyance and addiction, I definitely understand the urge to finish a game if you feel like it's mocking you.

The thing dragging the first Borderlands down was the final dungeon and final boss. Some of the worst design I've ever seen in an FPS.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jaramin posted:

Both games have intros that explain everything you need to know?

I think I clicked past the one i pripyat, I was so loving lost for the first 20 minutes of gameplay.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chard posted:

GTA hasn't been good since San Andreas, which was... holy gently caress, eleven years ago. They've been coasting so long the wheels are falling off.

Bully is arguably the best game they've ever released.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The bottom shot reminds me of p2w browser games.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Witcher 3 was by almost all accounts a fantastic game but I just cannot help but feel that the game would have been even better if it was just straight up an Action game instead of Action-RPG. Someone in the thread mentioned how Witcher 1 was serviceable and for me it feels like we've just went from that rhythm-based monstrosity to another kind of serviceable. If the combat was just slightly more towards the Darksider, Dark Souls or Devil May Cry end of the spectrum it could be so good. :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The forced Russian Roulette segment in Lisa sucks rear end and totally mashes with the tone of the rest of the game. I have literally no idea why it is even a thing beyond being a dumping spot for superflous party members later.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

The bitter and downtrodden underclass sometimes will murder the decadent bourgeois. A good lesson imo.

Terrible lesson, don't compromise even an iota because the poor will loving kill you if you don't kill them first.

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Aug 12, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

also I'm getting tired of fetch quests where the items you need are just things that are "randomly pick this up in the area" because I made a full loop of the Satorl Marsh looking for feather leaves and found one of four because I just wasn't lucky enough gently caress that

Just ignore them if they seem cumbersome. The only real reason to do the trash-quests is to avoid falling below the arbitrary "you're too low a level so have fun doing literally 1 damage" limit they put into the game. If you're chaining your red abilities correctly then you should have no issue beating neither bosses nor enemies at that part of the game. Levels and gear are largely superfluous.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

I'm under the impression that doing quests from people with Actual Names and not stuff like "Colony 9 Resident" are the quests that raise affinity with the area the most, and having higher affinity unlocks more sidequests to do. I could be wrong, that's just how I had it explained to me and I'm trying not to look up too much stuff about the game.

As boring as I find this particular quest, if it's technically gating me from other more interesting sidequests then I'd like to get it done at least eventually.

Do it later, the game is long as hell and the main content has an immensely more effort put into it than the side-content. As others have warned, unless you love grinding, it'll burn you out on finishing the game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Supposedly the epilogue of MGSV was going to be a remake of the original Metal Gear, game was also supposed to have more chapters.

Smells like feature creep. I don't think we're actually worse off if that was the primary thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

On the topic of Nintendo controller chat,

Resident Evil 4: Wii Version, it just plays so much better with the Wii controller that it feels like a chore to play with any other medium. :sigh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

My thing dragging down MGSV is the amount of people having sissy slapfights about poo poo nobody cares about.

And the thing that drags down Peace Walker for me is that the game doesn't end after you fight the Peace Walker. I fought a giant robot, and that's all I care about, Game. To hell with Paz and all the other poo poo, I am here to fight giant robots and that's all I'm going to do.

There's a bigger "giant robot" in your future if you keep playing

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The thing dragging Dead Island down is that its a great idea for a game that is ruined by a irredemable grind-athon combat system.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I just picked up the Metro 2033 and Last Light double pack for the PS4 and while I really like the stealth and survival aspects of the game it seems like every level ends the exact same way with me mindlessly mowing down wave after wave of mutants and blowing all my ammo. I'm only about 4 hours into the first game so maybe it will change.

Be warned that Last Light loves putting you into gauntlet scenarios (locking you into a big room with waves of monsters) which combined with the games ammo-scarcity system can easily put you into a no-win state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

In Skyrim, I just fought the big evil dragon that's trying to destroy the world or whatever, and it could barely hurt me. The fight was still annoying as hell because it took ages and there was stuff exploding constantly, the dragonrend shout that's supposed to be this amazing anti-dragon weapon doesn't seem to have any real value at all (unless that particular dragon has to be on the ground to take damage at all? I couldn't really tell), there's a friendly dragon flying around getting in the way and making it confusing, and then at the end of the fight it turns out it was a waste of time anyway.

Then to top it all off, after that I went to do some other quest and got killed in one hit by a guy with a magic sword. Why is some random nameless dude infinitely more dangerous to me than the supposed biggest threat in the game?

Because level scaling is, and always will be, a lovely mechanic.