Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

That's the issue. "Gamergate was a grassroots online movement that began due to concerns over ethics in games journalism after a reviewer gave a positive review to a bad game written by someone he slept with" sounds like an opinion a reasonable person might have, but trying to explain why that's wildly inaccurate to anyone completely outside the bubble makes you look like a crazy person rambling about 4chan and fiveguys.

The point is that we weren't talking about how crazy the controversy was. I simply made a post about why 5e made BG3 feel pretty limp to play; that doesn't require explaining Zak and Pundit and Mearls it's just enough to go "yeah, the version of D&D BG3 is based on is kinda meh, you're not wrong to be bored with the meh class design that's a result of it."

Like you're not wrong in the post you made (although you did misinterpret some of the things I mentioned as being other things), but you are going way too hard for a PYF thread discussion about why a related CRPG is bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah Splicer I’m not engaging with whatever the gently caress that is. My original message was fine and I’m not gonna defend myself to you any more because this is just getting out of hand for a PYF thread.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Yes, actually! Revivify works on someone who's died within the last minute. In theory if you had enough money and or wizards you could just keep casting revivify on someone every time they died during their stupid surgery until it stuck.

I'm not sure how it works with Revivify in 5e, but the big problem I'd think would be more Karlach's soul getting claimed by Hell before you have the chance to resurrect her (which is a danger with resurrection magic in most editions of D&D).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

to be forgotten-realms appropriate, this would take place as a random encounter of an old man waving a stick at his dog yelling 'heel! heel!', but actually it's elminister and it's an epic Staff of Heal

traditionally elminster's staff is just a stick, it's his pipe and his underwear where he keeps his big magics in case of emergency

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

In 3.x using magic to graft stuff onto people got you a flesh golem. Not even a frankenstein situation, just a robot made of meat. I don't think 5e has been specific about it but D&D gets a bit weird in general about what counts as injuries and illness vs ~the natural order of things~. Stabbed through the heart -> off the shelf spell. Stuff like congenital heart problems or coronary heart disease due to poor diet -> ask your gm

Huh? There was an entire class of magic items called grafts with like ten different variants, including construct grafts (in Faiths of Eberron) and also the half-golem template in MM2. The latter had a chance of turning you evil, but it didn't make you mindless.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Does it allow you to quadruple-wield brilliant-energy longswords?

man grafts are in like ten books i'm not looking up to see if any of them make you general grievous

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

I meant in the "Axe goes in -> heart comes out -> new heart goes in -> cleric casts Raise Dead." case. Capital G Grafts weren't really in the lifesaving medicine category outside of Eberron, and if people didn't enjoy edition war chat they're definitely not going to enjoy us diving into I can't even think of a single line summary here.

Jamming a spare heart into someone and jury rigging a spell to patch it in gets you flesh (half-)golems (e: following a failed save yadda yadda), and while -6 int isn't mindless it's a hell of a step down. I did get flesh golems and the half-golem flesh golem variant mixed up though.

3e D&D: Int 1, Int 0, and Int - are different things and it is VERY IMPORTANT you know which one you have and why.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What do you mean by “two hits before you’re unconscious four before you’re dead.” The shadow’s strength damage just kills at 0, it’s a replacement for the usual going unconscious at strength 0. It would be the same number of hits, generally about 3 for a Strength 10 character.

Also level 3 characters in Pathfinder can be assumed to have access to lesser restoration, it’s on a ton of class spell lists. If you don’t have a PC that can cast it or the money to pay someone to cast it on you, shadows deal ability damage not ability drain, so you can just sleep it off.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I somehow had it in my head that it meant going to like -10 instead of 0. As for spells; Lesser restoration is a second level spell, you only have a small handful of those at level three, and if your DM is letting you rest and regain your spell slots after every encounter in the middle of a dungeon then literally nothing in the game will pose a threat so the entire point is moot.

There’s only one shadow fight in the entire AP, and it’s in the back half of the bottom level of Thistletop. That back half is explicitly completely optional, and it comes after the time pressure/story boss of the part have been resolved. So, yeah, if the PCs do want to rest in the middle of the dungeon it’s fine. Paizo APs often don’t punish you for that, they intentionally soften the difficulty as a design goal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sally posted:

agreed. and frankly subsequent Resistance games never captured that same balance. Fall of Man was a brilliant shooter, if admittedly slow to kick off

I loved how it was playing through War of the Worlds in all but name. London and England, the right time period, it was surprisingly well-crafted for a PS3 exclusive shooter when being a PS3 exclusive shooter was a synonym for "garbage."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kazil posted:

I dunno, I like that From makes the lore as deep as you want it to be. I think it's fun to gleam some of what is going on but I hate the hours long lore videos speculating every detail

Zullie the witch is cool and good though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

it’s funny that fo4 has so many problems with the plot and base building aspects that nobody ever even comments on how abysmal the leveling/perk system was

I actually really liked the levelling system. You never felt stuck with a bad decision, you still had a lot of choices to play the way you wanted, and there was still lots of options even at like level 70 and being done all the DLC when I wrapped up my playthrough.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Morrowind is the only game to do fast travel correctly that I'm aware of: multiple semi-interlocking modes of transportation, each with diegetic settings-appropriate reasons for existing, requiring game knowledge and experience to effectively use.

Honestly I think MMOs are probably cheating, but WoW has been pretty good for fast travel over the years. You have click button go to place, but at a time cost (flight masters), intercontinental modes of transportation that require switching onto a different network (zeppelins and boats), and a class that can help others get generally to the right place, but not specifically there (mages with portal and teleport spells, which go to "main cities" OR with work, optional lesser destinations that are possibly useful but complicated [one mage teleport is "this city, but where it used to be before it moved" so now it takes you to a pretty useful place but far enough off the ground it's a lethal fall unless you have some way to protect yourself]), and one other class that has "with teamwork we can get anyone from anywhere to right here" (warlock). Since it's an MMO, the time costs do matter, especially for coordinating with other players.

There's also a variety of other options that have sprouted up over the years. Some special items can send you to locations associated with them (so the legendary staff Atiesh can take you to its creator's tower.) Druids have a spell that lets them randomly end up in a nature-associated place. Later on in the game, most of those nature-associated places connected to the others through the "Dreamway," allowing druids pretty good mobility to various parts of the game through essentially fairy circles and elf magic wells. In the same expansion, warriors got to airdrop into the various parts of the continent from their flying Valhalla skyfortress just by being cool enough to make a jump that big.

Engineering, a profession (you get to have two of these), has a variety of "teleporters" that can take you to one place or another per expansion. Engineering's thing is that it's powerful but often with weird or dangerous drawbacks, so one early teleporter device sent you to a specific pad in an out of the way place that was very handy, but you'd often come through on fire or with your evil twin about to attack you. The even more fun option is when you can use other engineering tricks to turn these drawbacks into advantages. A later teleporter let you kind of pick where you were going, but one of the options was up in the air high above a mountain. (I think this was Mists?) If you wanted to get anywhere you could often get there faster than taking the local option by taking the in the air over the mountain option, then using an engineering device that let you glide down to glide to wherever you wanted. Everyone got to play with this kind of option later, when a magic bird gave you an item that rocketed you into the air as high up as you could go, then you could use a glider to fly down to wherever you wanted. Gliding is fast, but requires parachute-like controls, so it's fun and enjoyable to practice divebombing into just the right cave or whatever you're trying to get to.

If you've played WoW since Vanilla, you might wonder why I haven't mentioned flying mounts. If you don't know how flying mounts generally work in WoW, they eventually go very fast (about 300% your regular land running speed) and have perfect turning, can float in mid air, etc. It's really kind of a broken maneuverability system, and the devs admitted it years ago. That's why most recent expansions block off flying mounts for most of the expansion and let you do all the fun stuff I listed above instead, because fast travel with flying mounts is pretty much "point yourself at a mountain, press the autorun button, move yourself slightly if you hit a tree or something." In the most recent expansion, Dragonflight, the devs took an opposite tack. New dragon mounts go even faster, but have actual flying physics models and require active management, so you can't just point yourself somewhere to get there at the increased speed, you have to actually press buttons and keep an eye on your altitude and so on. Of course, if you've wanted to be lazy, the flying masters that get you to a specific town or whatever are still there.

So now there's a ton of options that have developed over the years and depend upon your class, race (some races have special fast travel powers), professions, or just gameplay preferences for how you get everywhere. Pretty drat cool.

I think the only really non-diagetic part is summoning stones/being teleported to dungeons through stuff like Dungeon Finder. It is kind of weird there's magic stones in front of all these incredibly dangerous, often totally forgotten areas that let you summon more invaders to explore them. It's especially funny when it's for a place that's like actively being defended in a warzone and the players are sneaking inside to take on the Big Bad. Did the Aldor or the Scryers send a crack team into the Black Temple environs just to slam a big stone with a spiral on it next to the hole into the sewers?

e:

credburn posted:

Fast travel ruined Daggerfall.

Fast travel made the original version of Daggerfall playable at all. There's nothing in the wilderness except for random monsters and maybe the needle in a haystack experience of stumbling on a witch coven or a dungeon. Most overland areas in the game are completely procedurally generated and contain absolutely nothing unique; the game is built around you pulling at quests (most of them randomly generated) and going to the random places it tells you to go to engage with again, the mostly randomized content there. (Even the main quest has large chunks of "meet this non-random NPC in a random tavern somewhere random.) Even your travel upgrades (buying a horse or a ship) are actually calculated into the fast travel system by reducing travel times, showing you how the game was built around it. (And travel times can matter a lot, because quests are often timed, or a monster in a dungeon can give you a terrible disease that you need to head to a temple to cure before you literally drop dead out of nowhere.)

This doesn't apply to Daggerfall Unity, which restored the height map and has tons of mods and stuff adding "wilderness" content, but it's a very different play experience from what it was like back in 1996 or whenever it came out.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Mar 28, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I was trying to bring my memories together on the back of the Fallout discussion and I seem to recall the supposed final ending of New Vegas being the mutants from the Lonesome Road DLC burrow their way into the Mojave and kill everyone (according to Ulysses). That's a bit bleak if so!

It's a theory that Ulysses has, but Ulysses' accuracy is entirely up to the player, pretty much, and how much you buy into all his stuff. That said, there IS a popular mod overhaul called Dust that's basically "what happens to the Mojave if everything that could go wrong does during the course of the Courier's travels" and it has the tunneler mutants anywhere and everywhere that has a drop of water and yeah, it's pretty terrifying. (Many A True Nerd has a fun playthrough series if you want to see it.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Like in the original Doom, the gameplay in 2016 is balanced around you finding ammo in the middle of combat and working with what it gives you. (This is less important in Doom Eternal, where the chainsaw loop becomes even more crucial.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vandar posted:

I got a PS5 today and the first thing I did was grab Helldivers so I could play with all my buddies before the popularity drops off.

It's a fun game but it kind of sucks seeing everyone else with these cool and better weapons while I'm stuck with the starting stuff. After every mission I'm begging the game to finally give me a way to upgrade my weapons or get new ones or whatever.

I get it game, I know how to play and what I'm doing, you can trust me with your better weapons now. What's the point of gatekeeping me from better poo poo for so long? :argh:

Apparently the weapon unlocks are in the same interface as the in game cosmetic micro transactions. I don’t know if you knew that but I’ve heard it causes some people to miss new game abilities since they’re so used to tuning out “store” tabs or whatever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vandar posted:

Dumb. Dumb! Why would you put important poo poo like that in the battle pass screen?

Hey at least you have your new guns now :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hel posted:

Sure, Palworld is super derivative(it's just less edgy Conan Exiles), but lol at calling it Zelda climbing when that's just derivative of the Spider-man climbing used since the PSX days. Really makes it clear that some are just allowed more leeway that others when it comes to copying, and the exploration is just generic open world exploration, glider included which is just the derivative of Alladin on the SNES / every open world wingsuit/parachute/ flight mechanic.

maybe it's not that some games are given more leeway than others when it comes to copying it's just that people are less familiar with playstation spider-man than they are with breath of the wild and use the more recent popular game as a reference

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

You know, out of all the stock world/dungeon themes, I think an underappreciated power player is 'Meat'. The part set inside of a big weird beast, with a bunch of organic parts. They're usually at least pretty decent, and I think a strength is that they're underused, I've never hit the Meat Dungeon and been bored by it.

...until just now with Grandia 2, where three of the four final dungeons are just slightly different permutations of Meat Dungeons. that's too many Meat Dungeons, I'm bored of weird sphincter doors now!

If you want to experience the peak of Meat play Sunder MAP07 "Pale Monument" for Doom 2. It may not look like Meat unless you're familiar with the textures already, but oh boy is it the meatiest.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

also not having played the game, I'm guessing there are many sexualized characters who are sexualized in the same very specific way.

quote:

Captains, we previously announced that we’ll send Steam keys for the corresponding Age of Water editions to those players who purchased CBT access packs in the summer of 2023.

hmm

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Is there a game with a GOOD version of cyberspace? Something that's not just normal gameplay with a different skin on it, or a horribly underbaked minigame? The only example springing to mind for me is Shadowrun, which was a pretty meh interpretation for me.

William Shatner’s TekWar

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

... I'm pretty sure making someone play through the Cyberspace portion of TekWar constitutes a human rights violation. Actually, I'm pretty sure making someone play TekWar at all constitutes a human rights violation.

Tek doesn’t care about human rights! Now get out there on the streets and stop it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

it was literally the first thing I did as I explored the larger ship lol

kinda put everything in context nicely despite being a spoiler

there's also an extremely well hidden log in psychometrics that gives the whole thing away, from what i remember