Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A Worrying Warlock posted:

I had to look up a six hour video on YouTube to have any clue of wtf was going on. Cool story told in an awful manner, so rhat the end result still ends up being a good contender for the title of worst lore.

The opposite is fun, too: which game had the most unexpected best lore? For me, the answer would have to be Starsiege. It's a great little mech game from the 90s, which starts off as Total Recall before taking a hard turn into Terminator territory. Imagine if the setting of The Expanse gets invaded by Skynet, and you're pretty close.

The evil AI in this case is called Prometheus, and it has some cool designs for its killer robots. But it is in little written news bulletins in-between missions where Prometheus really shines. As the game progresses, you get to read how everyone in the solar system is freaking out, from the subterannean colonies on Venus to the royal palaces of earth. And then you get to see all those channels go dead, one by one, as Prometheus advances.

It's in the last transmission from those doomed areas where the writing really shines. Prometheus hates humanity and 'gets' our psychology with all the precision and effectiveness of a hammer. When it reaches Earth, witnesses describe giant murder machines covered in screaming and mangled humans that are hooked into a sound amplification system.

You don't get to see this in game, but the writing does enough heavy lifting to make sure that I'll never forget the mental image.

Man now I want to play Starsiege again, fuckin loved that game as a kid. Peak 90s intro, that fits what you were talking about too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daCE2PmtCFc

Down came the glitches, and burned us in ditches, and we slept after eating our dead

Arrath has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Oct 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Enough to bumble it out from there, thanks :toot:

Be sure to backup your save file first, just to be safe. It's easy to mess up a bracket or comma or other tag and make the game reject it.

It's pretty straightforward once you find the things you're looking for, though. One of the game data files under starsector-core should have all the skills listed out with their proper ids

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

I enjoyed reading your morrowind mega post, friend

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

Not every game needs a fuckin rpg style skill tree!!!

Let alone a path of exile style skill web/constellation that's 9 miles across.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Mercs 2 had some weird issues, like everything you bought was delivered from your base but you couldn't just collect things from said base. So if you needed new equipment you had to go outside, order it and use up fuel resources to deliver it five feet.

The first mercs had all kinds of awesomely destructive air strikes and support you could call in, through varied means like satellite map or laser designator.

Mercs 2 had an expanded menu of awesomely destructive air strikes and support you could call in, except each and every one was called in via smoke grenade. You couldn't use the majority of them for fear of blowing yourself to poo poo! And/or getting shot to hell trying to get close enough to the thing dangerous enough to warrant a carpet bombing run to bean it with a smoke grenade.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I was a big fan of Prototype starting with a sequence that had you fully powered up so you got a taste of the toys to come before starting the story proper as a wee nascent city devouring parasite.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well done lmao

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

credburn posted:

Haha Elex II you are so fuckin janky

How about a shield tutorial that pops up mid-combat? No, the game does not pause and you can't control anything until you hit enter.

I hammered through the first during my first stint of WFH during the pandemic, and yeah janky describes it very well

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm still figuring out how stealth and entering combat works in BG3, so on occasion I'll open up a fight with my rogue, and no one else will enter combat with him. Sometimes this will get compounded by the enemy stunning, paralyzing or otherwise CC'ing him, locking me out of any action while the entire roster of enemies may get several turns to turn him into a fine red paste.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

And please don't path onto the trap when I tell you to disarm it for gently caress sake.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Christopher judge being the main VA for God of war is making a strong case for me to actually play it tbh

Indeed

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bussamove posted:

I mean to be fair “we have the technology to bring you back to life if you die” seems like a pretty good employment perk even if it’s the safest work environment possible, which shipbreaking isn’t going to be even if sweeping changes were made. Just get rid of the additional debt when you use it!

My only question is can I, the original Me, sign some form to create a half dozen clone me's and consign them to a career of backbreaking labor that I may benefit from?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Things dragging down farcry: the best entries in the series (other than primal) were some random console titles that gave you mutant powers that basically no one has heard of.

At least, I think there were two of em. Might have just been one.

Had a pretty rad drop in wysiwyg level editor for the consoles of the era, too.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Whoever the gently caress it was who managed to hit me with a psychedelic blow dart or arrow or whatever it was, while I'm in the seat of my Cessna cruising along at 2000 ft definitely had magic powers, I'll say that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

My partner told me "not to hold back" when I fought them in Tekken 8 so I didn't and now they're super duper mad at me for demolishing them eight matches in a row.

Lmao same with me and an ex, but the venue was Hydro Thunder.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I got myself penned in, bugs all around me, teammates all dead, back to the wall. So I called down their reinforcements, and hurled the beacon over the wall- anywhere was better than here!

The beacon, and my teammates, all landed in a minefield I had set up earlier

hahahaha classic

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

. . . buoyancy.

I would have thought the cyborg covered in armor plates would have negative buoyancy but yeah

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah, he DOES have negative net buoyancy; he sinks. But his net weight underwater is guaranteed to be less than it is in air. His legs will therefore have an easier time lifting him than they do in air. Yeah, there's a lot more drag, so that becomes a factor at some point, but I don't know if you've ever tried jumping off the bottom of a deep pool or anything, but it's way easy, despite all the drag.

For example, if he weighs 200 pounds (which is a lot since he's the size of a child), and he displaces 100 pounds of water (probably roughly correct for a short but beefy child-sized person, assuming he's watertight), then being under water makes jumping twice as easy (i.e. jump twice as high with the same leg exertion, ignoring drag), even though he still net weighs 100 pounds and sinks. Or, if you don't want to put concrete numbers on it, if his density is twice that of a normal person (a normal person being pretty much as dense as water), then he'll jump twice as high in water as in air (ignoring drag - so slightly less than twice as high in practice).

Anyway I haven't played a megaman game in a long-rear end time so I don't remember what the water mechanics are actually like, but "sinking, but being able to jump higher" makes perfect sense from a physics perspective.

Well color me educated.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Well the game is called Tomb Raider.

Fair point

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't recall ever finishing a Bethesda game. Usually about 50 hours in, I begin to lose interest. I never played New Vegas and grabbed it for like 3 bux, which I assume is worth it.

Morrowind is the only one I ever beat. FNV too but that doesn't count, being Obsidian. Despite so many hours playing fallouts and skyrim, I get distracted by whatever and then fall off the game usually having hardly touched the main quest

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Do you think 3 doesn't deserve the criticism it gets, or NV deserves criticism it doesn't get? What's the thesis here?

They're tired of "Bethesda bad" kneejerk and postulate what a critical analysis of FNV/Obsidian's changes to the mythos would look like through that lens, I guess.

All I'll say is that NV was chock full of Cowboy guns while FO4 wasted a lot of their budget and time on moddable modular pipe guns that looked like rear end therefore NV is automatically superior.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Philippe posted:

Density is how you save an open world game, really. The Cyberpunk DLC is the same way: it's a tiny area jampacked with stores and jerks to sneakhackshoot and quests.

Witcher 3 excelled at this and I never made it to a given objective in a straight line, I always got side tracked on other poo poo

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For Shogi just use CyricZ's guides on either Gamefaqs or Neoseeker. The man is the last DJ of writing proper walkthroughs instead of lovely youtube guides.

Things Absolutely Dragging Games Down: the slow death of GameFAQs

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

I wonder how far I could get in Super Empire Strikes Back these days, cause as a kid I asked to rent it from Blockbuster a lot until I could beat it.

I don't think I ever got past the 2nd level even back then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm sorry, if you don't enjoy the dakka-dakka ability of the starter support machine gun in Helldivers you're obviously a broken person.