Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space 3's unlock system is mother loving bananas and I hate the way it works. Y'know that mystery cube in the Hellraiser series that is actually like some kind of demon summoning enigma and nobody can figure out how it functions except that it summons the aforementioned demons? Dead Space 3's NG+ and unlock system is like that. I'll try to explain in words how it works.

Okay so first off, you can go to NG+ at any time at any point in the game on any difficulty. All this does is create a new save file on the difficulty of your choice, carrying over your weapons, resources (basically crafting components), and suit upgrades. It functions kinda like Dead Rising's playthrough system where at any point you can just go 'gently caress it' and start over with your current resources and completion intact.

Things get loving weird when you start mixing in other difficulties. Dead Space 3 has 4 difficulties: Casual, Normal, Hard, and Impossible. Upon beating the game you unlock three more difficulties: Classic, Pure Survival, and Hardcore. The latter three can only be accessed by going to the NG+ option on a regular game save, selecting them, and making a whole new save slot for that playthrough.

Then at any point you can go to NG+ for that save game in the same fashion but the option is pointless and serves no purpose because those 3 all start you from a new game with 0 resources every time.

The problem with this is that all of these different save games do not carry over their rewards into each other. For some retarded unknown reason there is no "Overall Player Progress Save" like there is in Dead Rising. All of the data and all of the progress and unlockables is on a by-save-game basis, meaning Hardcore mode's you-beat-the-game unlocks can only be used if you select the NG+ option on your Hardcore save and make a new one on a different difficulty. The same goes for the rest of the difficulties.

So, if I want to play through the game with the Retro Mode filter on (the unlock for beating Hardcore), I can only do so on Classic, Pure Survival, or my Hardcore save because you can't create a new game plus save of the regular four difficulties from any of the three non-standard ones.

The reason none of this works in any sensible way is because, as I said above, it only functions halfway like Dead Rising does. It uses Dead Rising's multiple playthrough system without Dead Rising's constant track of the player's current stats. It makes no loving sense and the way they did it is incredibly frustrating.

edit: It's especially frustrating because they already have an "Overall Player Progress Save" system in place in the form of Resource Packs. Sometimes your scavenger bots pick up special resources in the form of Ration Seals that can be turned in at the DLC menu for big bundles of resources that have a small chance of coming with a free golden weapon part. These golden gun parts carry over into every save game you make from then on unless you go into the options menu and nuke your whole save profile.

So the system is there, they just don't use it for god knows what reason! :argh:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space 3's unlockables system is a pain in the rear end. You can't get 100% in the game if you are only playing single player because there are lots and lots of collectibles in the co-op missions and areas, which can only be accessed if you are, y'know, playing co-op. Therefore there are several info logs, many many weapon parts and upgrade circuits, and 6 completion bonus outfits that you can't ever get by yourself! The maximum you can get in only single player is like 85% which also locks you out of four or five story/completion progress achievements!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ziggurat is a really cool game, and one of my favorite things about it is that it's one of the few games with randomized elements that also goes so far as to randomize the lore, including the ending. However the reason I'm posting about it in this thread is because it's a blessing and a curse. Ziggurat is a pretty hard game, and you could die 5 times for every one time you win, so it's disappointing when you get one of the several different endings multiple times in a row. Getting one you've already seen makes the journey feel a bit pointless because you've already experienced it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are supposedly at least four, I have been told this by a friend who, thinking about it more, might have been loving with me because he is kind of a dick. But from your post it sounds like it's not true. In the event that he was loving with me then I take back the above post because the basis for the complaint is non-existent.

edit: Ah ha. I did some more quick research and according to the devs there ARE more than 2 endings, but it's based on the number of rooms you clear over your whole playthrough. The ending you get on your first playthrough where it turns out the Ziggurat was a trap all along and the final boss escapes to the real world always happens but after that it is based on how much of a completionist you are, according to posts like this from the dev:

If you go middle-of-the-road 'clear most things but not everything' you'll almost always end up with the ending where you are teleported to a totally different realm full of monsters which is how I play so I assumed I was just unlucky. So okay never mind, it's no longer a thing dragging the game down and belongs in the other thread instead because that's pretty cool. I guess the thing dragging it down is that this is never mentioned anywhere but that's not really a big deal.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Jan 24, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something that annoys me about Sonic Generations is a problem that has plagued the series even all the way back to Sonic and the Secret Rings on the Wii, ever since they adopted the Sonic-is-a-race-car gameplay style. During the 2D platforming segments, the camera is locked to the 2D perspective but Sonic himself is not; he still controls 3-dimensionally meaning he takes a second to turn around from right to left. This can lead to annoying situations where you do the spin ball immediately after turning around but Sonic is actually facing toward the background instead of the direction you wanted, because for some reason he can still face forward and backwards even though you can only move left and right. The controls are just sloppy in a bunch of little ways the culminate in the game not really feeling great to play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For comparison:

(ME1)

(ME3)

She always had the big ol anime eyes but they did do some weird reshaping of her face in ME3 and I'm not sure why.

She does look a bit creepy now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It makes more sense that they stick out so much when you consider that there initially weren't any non-lethal options for the main baddies until playtesters complained, because peoples' poor sensibilities can't handle playing a video game where you are not the supreme good guy forever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xythe posted:

OR it would be really dumb that a man who decides that murder isn't actually the answer here is suddenly forced to murder. Because somehow video game devs are literally never wrong and playtesting isn't asking people how your game can be better, it's obviously to cater to manchildren :jerkbag:

I laugh every time I remember that Corvo's got 18 lethal options and 2 non-lethal ones when it comes to combat

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Jan 31, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

EmmyOk posted:

It's the same in every game because there are so many ways to kill someone but very few ways other than darts to knock them out. Not that unusual, hth

The game is very obviously balanced around you killing lots of people because they give you way more tools to do it. You can be stealthy but also lethal and that's what they expect you to do; it's the reason he has an unlockable skill that makes bodies disintegrate on death. The guy was the personal protector of the empress, I really doubt he's got a problem killing people in his way especially now that he has been Dishonored™. I'm glad that they put in non-lethal options for the major bad guys but the tranquilizers/choking/etc were always there. It's nice that they put in the option for people to play how they want to play it but there is no denying that the developers had a playstyle in mind when they were creating the game and its mechanics.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Those games don't suffer for it, Dishonored does. But it's only if you decide to play it that way. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What I found most disappointing about Dishonored is that I did play that way the first time through and the good ending was so tonally dissonant with the rest of the game that it made me actually sad that I had played it that way instead of going the lethal route. The story doesn't even go to the most minimal attempts to support the non-lethal playstyle; if you do remove one of the major players non-lethally, the game still treats them as if you killed them and the characters react as such except for one or two special cases where you get a note or a dialogue afterward thanking you for it. Dishonored is still a very good game, don't get me wrong, but the non-lethal stuff was pretty half-assed outside of the part where you actually do the thing.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Jan 31, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The part in the next game where she does a million fancy flips and it looks like it's gonna be an epic fight and then Batman just throws her at a wall and she gives up is probably one of my favorite parts. They got half of her character down but missed the half that is actually kinda smart.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Harley's thing is that she's smart and cunning but has a sense of naivety that gets in the way unless she already has the upper hand by default. Most of the time this is how Batman beats her. She favors other peoples' ideas above her own because unless she's teamed up with someone that sees her as an equal (like Poison Ivy, uh, sorta), she just generally assumes they have the better plan. And also she want's Joker's clown dick.

Arkham Asylum sorta kinda missed the point of that part of her character. I don't really remember her part in Arkham City but I think they fixed it a little? Maybe?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Feb 1, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason Pokemon games still don't let you skip the tutorial is because the games are primarily for actual children but can be played by anybody. That doesn't mean it's a kids' game but it does mean that it has to have that level of accessibility naturally built into it.

It would be nice of them to put in an option to be like "shut up old man I know what I'm doing I read my Pokemon Catching Guides back in Pokemon School" or something though. If you don't teach people how to play the game then they won't know how to play it. If you force the tutorial it will annoy people who don't need it. If you give people the OPTION of being taught how or not then it's entirely their fault if they don't learn. Most games nowadays have an option to turn off tutorial prompts or hints.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Feb 6, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think his point was less about whether it's optional or not and more the fact that they make fun of something that they play totally straight because that's just how you make a good video game. The tutorial thing definitely rubbed me the wrong way too because Far Cry 3 has lots of mechanics other games don't (the in-depth sneaking mechanics specifically), and the hypocritical nature of making fun of tutorials in video games while also making you do one because you otherwise wouldn't know how to play... is a bit disingenuous of them.

They half-assed their satire because the game would be lacking in content. They had the balls to make fun of collectible hunting but then put one in anyway because they didn't have the balls to dare to make a statement on it by actually excluding it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Feb 11, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tardcore posted:

poo poo so they're scattered across the whole world map then?

:thurman:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The narration style of Transistor took all the things that were fun about the narration style of Bastion and went like, "Nah, just add some more Joss Whedon to it, I'm sure that will have no adverse effect"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I meant it in a good and bad way, really. Red and the sword are pretty darn snarky for it being the end of the world and the former being unable to talk.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: Don't create a whole character whose skills are based around hitting enemy crit spots quickly and consistently if you're gonna put in an entire level's worth of enemies that have no crit spot twice in one game. The torks I can maybe forgive, because their most numerous ranks are very small and weak and giving them a crit spot would be sort of pointless. But on the space station, the infected Hyperion workers are just normal humans whose helmets you can even knock off, but then their heads aren't crit spots for literally no reason. It makes no sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah it really is a shame that Shadow Warrior goes downhill so quickly. I almost couldn't finish the game because near the end they throw two of those big angry beasties that you can only hit in the back at you at once in addition to a whole shitload of normal mooks, and those dudes are the worst loving enemies because there's basically no way to actually kill them that won't severely hurt you in the process. If you run out of rockets like I did and go into that fight with none, you're totally hosed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

I like how at the end if you choose to rescue Zulf there's the one guy who still fires on you even after everybody else has stopped.

Then his buddy smacks him and he stops too :v:

edit: Just rewatched the scene and actually he doesn't voluntarily stop, his buddy straight-up knocks him out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, again! If you're going to encourage a second playthrough on the same character, don't make enemies straight out of the gate be resistant to all elements because there are characters in this game whose tertiary skills are entirely focused on elemental damage! How about you balance your own loving game instead of letting math do it for you!

Also:

gently caress this game's dumb writing, I'm glad I play with the voices on 0 so I can listen to interesting things instead while I play.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Feb 15, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kay Kessler posted:

Isn't the character in that screenshot voiced by said head writer's sister? :barf:

Yeah and the character's like 14 years old which is also funny

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Feb 15, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, the number scaling is ostensibly fixed which is a good thing (though it does start to balloon again as you approach playthrough 3), but they ported that dumb poo poo from the third playthrough, where every enemy gets a resistance to all elements, over to the second one, which fucks up everything because Pre-Sequel has no slag element to use to make enemies take extra damage. That and the giving-enemies-no-crit-spot thing I complained about earlier make the late game very unfun, even when you're still on the first playthrough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's resistance to everything. All elements besides normal and explosive damage (because nothing is weak to explosive) get the little [RESIST!] popup on every enemy. It's not FULL resistance, where the element does basically no damage to the enemy, but they at least halve it and I have to question what the god drat point is besides making it tedious and canceling out half of a whole character's effectiveness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Reminder that Deux Ex: The Fall is the game where this happens every time you shoot a gun

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did some quick research and apparently they patched it out, thank god, but don't worry, Deus Ex: The Fall is still laughably bad in basically every other way to make up for it. It's still nauseating, just not physically nauseating.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dying Light saves pretty much any time you do anything including kill a zombie or do a parkour move (aka, things you will be doing every 5 seconds) so I don't think you have to worry about it. The only time it probably won't save all of your recent progress is if you're in an instanced not-the-overworld area and haven't hit the next checkpoint. The reason games like Dying Light don't have an option in the pause menu to save the game is because you don't have any need for one.

edit: Fallout 3/New Vegas is a good example of a game where it is necessary. In Dying Light, you can do everything, you can see everything, there's no way to actually lock yourself out of content. So even if you don't like the situation you've ended up in either with your equipment or your character skills, the game is tuned so that you can still do basically whatever you want with adequate challenge. Fallout 3 and NV give you free reign with the open world, allowing you to lock yourself out of lots and lots of things, sometimes without even telling you; with a limited number of level-ups, you have to allocate your skill points and perks to your choosing/your playstyle. The reason those games have splinter saves and Dying Light doesn't is simple for that reason: In those games, you have a legitimate use for it it, but in Dying Light you don't.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Feb 20, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's a fair point. I sure as hell wanted to play that school part again after I finished it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's something dragging recent Silent Hill games down for me that I noticed that is different than the things people usually complain about: The games don't even take place in Silent Hill nowadays. From Silent Hill 4 onward, none of the games actually occur in the town itself and are at best tangentially related. 4 is possibly the worst offender because you are never even in Silent Hill at any point in the game except for the Forest World which, even then, is just a technicality. After that, Homecoming takes place in Shepherd's Glen and Alex only goes to the town itself near the end of the game (and even then, not for very long). Downpour takes place ALMOST in Silent Hill and by the time Murphy actually gets there, your objective literally becomes "Escape from Silent Hill", which he then does via being absorbed into a flashback. The games have basically nothing to do with Silent Hill anymore and while I'm hoping Silent Hills fixes that, the s in the title does not leave me hopeful.

Like, the "Silent Hill curse" and the whole otherworld stuff loses some of its charm and uniqueness if it can be just magically blanketed over any area as long as the protagonist is a bad or unlucky enough person, and Homecoming/Downpour miss that nuance entirely. Origins, which came out just before Homecoming, while not an extremely good game, understood that; once Travis Grady escapes from the town the fog and poo poo don't just magically follow him. In the ending you literally see him drive his truck over one of the bottomless pits as the fog clears away and reveals that the road was just fine the whole time. Meanwhile, in Homecoming, Shepherd's Glen is just always like that even though its connection to the town and the town's curse is sparse at best. It even has a curse of its own and they still threw in a connection to Silent Hill!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Feb 21, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Silent Hill 4 was actually supposed to be a spin off in the series to see if they could take it in a new direction. After some stuff happened in the studio they changed the name to Silent Hill 4 to make sure it would, at the very least, sell a few copies to keep them afloat. It's why the tone of the game gets so weird and disjointed from all the previous games.

The devs debunked this a long time ago.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The original writers and team havent been involved since 4.

Yeah but that doesn't have much to do with the actual setting of the games, which is my complaint. I didn't like Downpour or Homecoming but neither of them have especially bad writing, though Downpour is a bit worse just because it kept introducing characters and then giving you non-choices wherein you can save them or not (but they then die anyway) like 5 minutes later.

Ironically enough, the dumbfuck hack-n-slash Vita game actually does take place in Silent Hill, so despite being awful in 99% of all areas, they at least got that 1% right.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Feb 21, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kimmalah posted:

:what:

The writing in both was loving terrible. Homecoming in particular was basically just a movie tie-in game with different forgettable characters.

I disagree. I would say that they are poorly written, but not bad by any stretch. Homecoming and Downpour are heralded as the worst Silent Hill games but they still have a coherent story with an interesting twist. The sacrificial nature of the Shepherd's Glen founding families is really cool and the game explores it in a way that is in-depth and interesting; the player learns early on who the founding families are and it's easy to discern what their forms of sacrifice were, but they keep it vague enough that you can't just guess the whole story until you see the various members get their comeuppance. Despite my complaint about it not taking place in Silent Hill, probably my favorite thing about Homecoming's story is that it's self-contained. They don't drag in elements from other games in the series that don't have to be there like 4 did. The rumor that 4 was a separate horror game first and Silent Hill second is false but it may as well have been true, just because everything came with an added "oh by the way remember Silent Hill" on the end.

The way the story wraps around on itself at the end (depending on what ending you get anyway) is awesome and none of the other games in the series do it that way. It brings itself to the logical conclusion of Alex either a) escaping his own demons and his family's or b) becoming a part of the curse and being sacrificed and doesn't overstay its welcome. They took a plot twist that would've been commonplace if you played Silent Hill 2 (Alex kills family member, sets off the plot of the game) and made it into something interesting and unique. Most of the Silent Hill fans who played the game were so mad about their misuse of ol' Pyramid Head that they did not stop to consider that the story itself is actually pretty good (though the execution might be a bit lacking).

I guess what I mean to say is that neither game is particularly good but Homecoming is really, really not as bad as people give it poo poo for.

Plus, Downpour and Homecoming are the only two games in the entire series where a character sees the crazy Silent Hill poo poo happen and goes "AAAAH WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON" instead of mumbling to themselves about how strange it all is.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Feb 21, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxxidation posted:

The LP of Homecoming done a few years back really showed off what a lazy hack job it was under the recycled IP, right down to a number of art assets being outright traced from LOST character portraits. It's impossible to defend the thing if you have any kind of sense.

I mean, the awful rhyming flavor text alone damns it.

This, however, I will not argue in any way. God drat the graphics suck. But the monster design is kinda cool!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Monster Hunter 4 sometimes seems like it's actively trying to keep you from having fun progressing in it. There's a mechanic in the game where monsters can have parts of them rendered useless or hacked off by doing enough damage to that part of their body, and that's really cool, and I wish more games did that, but the annoying thing about it is that breaking off the part of the monster does not guarantee you that part will drop. If I break a monster's face and a chunk of bone flies off, I only have a 35% chance of that chunk of bone actually being added to my inventory, and that's dumb as poo poo. That means that I have a random chance to encounter the monster, a semi-random chance to break the part of it I need, and a random chance to actually get that part after I do so. That's not fun, that's tedious bullshit. I love the game so far but man they really really could not be more obvious with their carrot on a stick crap.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Feb 22, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The thing dragging it down is not that there's a % chance to get the drop alone. The thing dragging it down is that I have to do something extra to even get the chance to get the drop even though, visually, I should get the drop every time.

edit: You could argue that stuff like that happens all the time in video games where the visual thing that happens doesn't correspond to the reaction, and you'd be right, but that doesn't make it okay in this case because it means I have to spend another 15-20 minutes trying again for the chance to get the chance to get the drop, which I won't even find out if I did successfully until the mission is over.

It's honestly a shame because I really like the game except for that part.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Feb 22, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That bothered me about Dying Light, too. Guns in that game are fairly rare unless you run into a gang of bandit/mercs; you won't find any just sitting out in the open and merchants barely sell any. Therefore, generic thug baddies and looters react appropriately when you aim a goddamn gun at them by putting their hands up and going "woah take it easy man". They even do that in the intro cutscene of the game because they know that shooting attracts zombies. But even if you don't put the gun down the dudes change their mind not even 5 seconds later and just bum rush you with their pipe wrenches and tire irons anyway! :geno:

And what's even more annoying is that bandits will totally run away from the fight if poo poo gets rough, I.E. you take out everyone but one lone dude or a bunch of the fast viral zombies show up or so on. But no, even if you've got a gun trained right on their face with iron sights they all think "no wait I can pull this out".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Skyrim is pretty annoying in that way. Usually with open world games, when an NPC asks you to do something for them that triggers the start of a quest, you have the option of saying "No, gently caress you, I don't want to do that". Skyrim offers you no such option in many cases, short of quite literally walking away from the conversation to end it before you say "yes". Which is dumb.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

But nothing happens if you don't do that quest though, does it? If you don't want to, just don't. :shrug:

If you play with this mentality you'll have 20 quests making GBS threads up your quest log that you have to sift through to read about the quests you actually want to do. Sure, there is no consequence for not doing it other than the NPCs involved in the quest hanging in stasis forever just waiting for you to walk up and talk to them, but the simple option to say "No, I don't want to help you with that, leave me alone" would take like ten extra minutes at most to fully implement. Since there's no way to abandon quests, that ten minutes they didn't spend equates to you playing the rest of the game being annoyed by it if you're that kind of person.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alouicious posted:

it's called "hit the escape key and end the conversation you loving nerd"

But that's laaaameee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

With other people? Sure. Alone with your computer though? Your idea of role-playing is Skyrim? Do you not have friends?

If that's directed at me, that's the exact reason I want to do everything the first time. I don't have the time (or inclination) to play through every game multiple times to see all the different stuff. The more of it I can see in a single go, the better.

I'm just quoting this from the previous page for posterity's sake because a real person actually said that an RPG is not a game in which you should be roleplaying, without a hint of self-awareness