Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

Sorry about your stockholm syndrome for lovely outdated game design.

Hmm yes you are correct the "play however you want to play" aspect of open world video games is most certainly lovely and outdated definitely not still a facet of these games to this day as it was so lauded in the games in the series that came before Skyrim

Oh wait poo poo that's totally wrong, only an idiot would think that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hate this character so much I'm gonna spend 35,000 dollars completely loving filling my house with them

My 35,000 dollars spent on this character surely will show Nintendo and fans of the character that this character is not marketable at all

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think you understand the core of peoples' complaints about what happens in the quest chain. If they had you GO to the college and demonstrate your shouting skills for the guard to let you pass, that would be fine. That's what you have to do to get inside the college anyway whether you're joining or not. But the main quest requires that you become a member so that you can gain access to the NPC you need to talk to, which is not fine. In open world games there's a very thin line between railroading you because that's what your goals in the plot demand, and railroading you into being a part of unrelated events because said unrelated events stand in your way; the mages' college is only the most egregious example, Skyrim does that kind of thing all the drat time. They took the previous games (and Fallout) and put in the "main quest that takes you all 'round the game world" grand adventure, without doing any of the cleanup work to keep the main quest separate from steering you headlong into sidequests.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When my mom saw me playing Dead Space 1 on my ol' PS3 she wanted to play it too, I've got a pretty cool mom who likes horror games and stuff :unsmith:

The thing dragging Dead Space 1 down (but only on consoles, on PC it's not a problem because mouse) however is that the game has no form of auto-aim or target slowdown to help you aim at limbs, so without using stasis on basically everything she couldn't really play it because she's not a mid-20s-peak-reaction-time-standard-videogame-player. Dead Space 2 and 3 fix that though by having your crosshair slow down a bit when you're hovering over a necromorph so you can fine tune your aim a bit.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Mar 2, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason stasis is actually in the game according to Visceral is because they realized shooting for limbs on constantly moving enemies is really hard on controllers at full speed, so it seems they disagree with you. Stasis is a good compromise between itself and auto-aim though in my opinion, just not for a mid-40s stay at home mom who hasn't played a video game without help from the person watching since Bejeweled.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Mar 2, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't know why you're debating with me about it, I was agreeing with you by saying stasis is a good middle ground. The necromorphs move a LOT faster in 3 though as part of its final transition from horror to action so the autoaim in that one is a bit necessary. But then again, 3 isn't a very good game compared to the others!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jastiger posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this. No you really don't what?

He's saying, no you really don't need to join the college, which is technically true because you can just go talk to the OTHER npc they will direct you to when you do join, skipping the college segment entirely. A similar example would be skipping the Galaxy News Radio quests in Fallout 3 because you talked to the Doctor at Rivet City before going to ask Three Dog where to get information about your Dad; Three Dog directs you to go talk to the doctor but since she's an NPC in the game world you can just go do that at any time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The guns in Shadow Warrior are all pretty wimpy, even the revolver's damage becomes a crapshoot later on. You'd think they would be unable to gently caress up a heat-seeking rocket launcher that lets you aim the missiles at your crosshair HL2 style, but it still ended up being like the most impotent and meh-worthy rocket launcher I've ever seen in a video game. Truly disappointing!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Mar 4, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing that drags Call of Juarez: Gunslinger down for me is that there's no horde mode. The gameplay is fantastic and arcadey, and the points system is a great way to encourage you to be reckless and keep the pressure on your enemies, which you'd think would be perfect for a survival mode! There's an arcade mode with time attack-related stuff but no survival mode that I can find, which is disappointing!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bastion is a fantastic game but something that's always, always dragged it down for me is a little issue with the isometric perspective. The perspective itself is cool and they do a lot of neat tricks with it, but the Kid does not move perfectly square on the X axis; his diagonal walk is just a BIT skewed, meaning you have to readjust yourself up and down while you're walking. Rolling diagonally skews it even worse depending on what direction you're moving and it's caused me to fall off quite a few 1x1 wide tiles in my recent playthrough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Austrian mook posted:

There are, and for anyone who is personally disturbed by that then you can simply turn it off at the beginning of the game.

Yeah but what he was saying is that it feels like it got put in the game for no reason other than to be edgy, which according to Jonatan is not true. But it's Hotline Miami, so whether it actually does serve a deeper purpose in video games is thrown under the bus by the series' overarching idea of "nothing matters because it's a video game".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's... what I just said.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

Well shucks, now I'm just totally lost on how brutal violence gameplay could be removed from it and still have something to play. Would it just be Uncharted as a beat em up?

I'm not sure what you're responding to, I was just saying 'no' in response to "wait, the second game is using rape as gameplay now? stare".

Funnily enough there is a character in Hotline 2 who addresses your question. You can't kill people as him unless you try really hard, and he dismantles guns when you pick them up for score bonuses. You basically have to smack people with melee weapons until they go down and wiggle on the floor, but the only way you can kill them is by mashing the execution button on them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

No, you are an idiot. Hotline miame 1 & 2 is not in any way about route optimization and muscle memory. The enemies walk random paths for a reason: you have to be quick and think on your feet. Its genius and the fact that you are a grumpy sperg pining for some good old speedrun-gameplay wont change that. gently caress you

Haha are you for real? Am I being joked at right now? *looks around for a camera* Haha this clown must be joking with this random spew of insults for no reason.

Hotline 2 has all of the problems that guy mentioned and he didn't even say anything about route optimization in the first place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DStecks posted:

I'm really not sure how people come away from Hotline Miami, a game about being a literally insane murderer on a chaotic killing spree, and say "this dumb game is too chaotic and unpredictable!" Sometimes you just get hosed by the RNG, which is why the game lets you reload immediately with no penalty or load time.

The game isn't about figuring out the one correct route, it's about zoning out and reacting moment to moment and just going for it. It's not Hitman.

Hotline 2 turned "sometimes" into "all the time" so I disagree.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Cursing a lot is funny!!" is just another one of the 10,000 reasons why Blood Dragon is actually lame and not cool

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Trailing missions suck especially hard because in all video games ever made your character walks faster than the NPCs walk and runs slower than the NPCs run, so you end up lazing around running in circles waiting for them to move or staggering your walk in a dumb looking way so you don't catch up to them by accident.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Morpheus posted:

90% of the games that have these options typically hide the faces anyway, so it's moot.

Name one game that does this where it isn't entirely your choice

edit: Before you say Dark Souls, being hollow doesn't count

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What kind of third person video game puts the camera in front of your character facing their face, it's ok to just say "none of them do that" instead of grasping at straws. Yeah the game puts the camera facing the back of your guy's head and if you rotate the camera even one degree you will see the face of the character you created, I don't know why you're even presenting that like it's a legit point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Witcher 3 continues the series' disappointing trend of "here's some NUDITY look at this nudity aren't we progressive?? the characters are having sex. no but like look at them have sex. everyone wants to have sex with your sex god main character." Like, thanks but no thanks guys, I play this game in a room where other people sometimes wander by and I am already embarrassed enough that I am doing so without that added element present.

edit: Although from a Youtube vid I've seen Geralt gets totally owned if you try to bone Triss and Yennefer and has to be bailed out by Dandelion so at least they're self aware about it I guess.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:34 on May 26, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alouicious posted:

*rappels into the room by crashing through the skylight ala James Bond*

GUYS THE WITCHER GAME HAS SEX IN IT

I AM DISPLEASED

I play video games to kill giant demon monsters with magic blood powers, not flick peasant clits because my guy just can't help but be ruggedly suave at all times

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alouicious posted:

your first mistake is playing video games around other people

Very true. And at least it's not like God of War where there are comical sex scene QTEs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alteisen posted:

Yea but you see people might see me playing the game and I'm already embarrassed to be playing videogames in the first place. :downs:

Video games are not easy to explain to your grandmother, I do not need to add another thing to explain onto the pile

edit: This is why I should've gotten the game on PC, because then I could be embarrassed about the shoehorned-in sex scenes in the privacy of my room

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

For as perfect as everyone makes Dark Souls out to be it doesn't let you gently caress your way through the world. Thats a major downside imo.

try tongue but hole

edit: I should mention I guess that I do really like the game. It's just that the dead-eyed jiggly mocap creatures made out of triangles don't exactly make sex look convincing or show to me that it's a useful inclusion. In fact that's really one of the only things about it I DON'T like so far, almost everything else is an improvement over the second one. :shrug:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:53 on May 26, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cthulhoo posted:

childe problems itt

For the record, I don't live with my grandma in her house, my grandma lives in my house with me because she's old and I take care of her

so like, shut up

Hunky Joe posted:

Why are you engaging in the sex scenes though? You do know you can just deny the people. Kiera's side quest allows you to turn her down. So really it's the player's choice of what to see and guess what? You chose to see two characters have sex. So don't blame the game.

I'm not engaging in them, I only made that mistake once. Just because I'm choosing not to watch them doesn't mean they're suddenly not annoying. It just makes them easier to ignore.

edit:

Szurumbur posted:

At the end of the day those are characters in a game, it's obvious that - regardless of the devs' stance - sex scenes, nudity and all that stuff is added for nudity, but for all the flaws The Witcher III has (and it has quite a few) "there are optional sex scenes" does not seem like a particular sore point.

And that's what I said on the previous page, too. It's really not THAT big a deal because it's an excellent game otherwise but I just have no idea why people in this thread are trying to tell me about the things I should and should not be disappointed by in a video game

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:48 on May 26, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm doing a second playthrough of MGS 5 and my god the helicopter rides and stupid intro credits for every mission are driving me crazy. I have probably spent a cumulative hour riding in the chopper since starting this playthrough. Why there isn't a button to just skip it and why the "return to ACC" button doesn't save the game is beyond me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

muscles like this? posted:

I'm pretty sure you can skip those by being in the field to start the mission.

You can, but then you have to physically travel there which takes much longer unless you're like right on top of the place. Also doesn't work when you want to transfer between regions.

edit: The fact that Bethesda appears to not have even tried to squash bugs in Fallout 4 is really really annoying and it should be viewed with a much more critical eye than "well that's a Bethesda game for you ha ha" imo. In several areas the game is a broken mess and sometimes in ways that would be extremely obvious with even a few minutes of playtesting (Macready giving you permanent 95% chance to headshot at any range, distance, vantage for example), and that's really totally inexcusable in 2015.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Dec 20, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

2house2fly posted:

Bethesda have said somewhere they're working on patches, the game's only been out for a month and fixing bugs takes time. It doesn't seem to have much in the way of hardlocks or uncompletable critical path quests, which are the only bugs I'd call inexcusable really.

In my mind there are two kinds of displays of incompetence like that: Things that would've been incredibly easy to fix even with the "pressures of game development"- things any human being could see with their own eyes and put on a list of bugs that the vast majority of players will see happen (if not all of them in the case of things like the dog having no "I'm on fire" AI reaction); and game-breaking bugs. FO4 has a mild number of the latter but there are a giant pile of the former, some of which are exactly the same as they were in 3 or even New Vegas. That their games are always like that should not count as a merit that excuses their sloppiness. And yet, you have articles like this that herald the bugs as one of the things that makes the game interesting instead of unintended behavior that makes the experience worse/stupid.

edit: Mostly I'm just annoyed that I see much smaller/more time-constrained studios getting raked over the coals for the same kinds of bugs that get the "*shrug* ohh bethesdaaa" treatment in the Fallout games and it feels unfair.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Dec 21, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are no permanently missable collectibles, when they say that it's missable they probably mean you can't get it until the post-game, because you can only enter most interior locations when the plot requires you to go there. Which is another thing about Arkham City that sucks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I could not help but roll my eyes when I was playing Dead Island/Dying Light/Any Open World Zombie Video Game and picked up a pistol with a blue name that did 10 damage, and then the same pistol but with a purple name so it did 12 damage. As if the gun itself determines the properties of the bullets that come out of it.

A baseball bat or something, I could understand, because it's always a deserted city full of scavengers so there's bound to be a range of equipment in various states of being broken. But a gun is a gun. You can't make bullets more lethal. I ended up cakewalking through the last couple sections of Dying Light because I just by chance found a shotgun that did so much damage it obliterated any enemy in one shot, which was fun, don't get me wrong. It's just stupid.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a Fallout New Vegas mod (I think it's for 3 too) that levels up your weapons as you use them without removing the durability/etc system. I think that's a pretty good compromise. Leveling up your guns is even more dumb and immersion-shattering than guns just randomly having higher damage, but it is a "best of both worlds" situation when it comes to encouraging you to build up a loadout of weapons you like without making them permanent additions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree with the people that say Arkham City's story put way too much focus on shoving you to the next plot location. Batman's gonna die in a few hours, and Strange is straight-up announcing every hour of plot time when the special surprise is gonna happen. If you do skip all the open world and side stuff and just do the plot, Strange's hourly in-world announcements coincide with your playthrough of the game in real time, which is such a baffling decision to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Almost every new thing that brings the game forward in arkham knight sucks poo poo so that's not really that bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Witcher 3 definitely overshoots the sweet spot, whatever it may be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Most of the ?s on the map are pure filler, especially in Skellige, but you're right for the most part besides that. I can see how it can be tiring.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alteisen posted:

I'd be happy buying that currency instead of just regular lootboxes.

TF2 recently added an alternative to having to buy those keys they sell on the store to open random loot drop crates in the form of crates that don't need keys... which are only available on the store for the same price as a key. It's so, so insulting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The amount of effort you have to go to in order to get it unfortunately determines its price these days, which is why I will never have a Strange Gunslinger because they go for fuckin 40 dollars or more on the steam market. Video game economies are trash

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It disappoints me that the barrier to entry for certain items is now multiple tens of dollars, occasionally hundreds if it's really that rare. Cosmetic items are whatever, people paying a hundred buckaroos for a hat with a fancy effect is fine imo. But dangling the kill-counting weapons above players' heads by giving them a pre-set rarity which will then drive their prices through the drat roof on the market is really lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm so surprised that the guy with autotune for a voice turned out to be a bad character