Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Evilreaver posted:

Helldivers 2

Weakpoints are too small, and everything dangerous has to be shot in their weakpoint, or with limited-resource weapons (like orbital strikes). I compare this to Deep Rock Galactic, which has a similar most-things-should-be-shot-in-weakpoints game flow, but their bugs have pretty large weakpoints-- Helldivers (particularly the Automatons) have tiny little heads that are hard to hit, as they bob around while moving, and if you stand still to line up a shot you get bonked for it.

On that note, DRG has you being very mobile 95% of the time, where HD2 penalizes mobility and focuses on positioning. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the differences and it's frustrating as I'm becoming :corsair: and can't snap-aim like I used to.

Yeah it kind of sucks. Right now I don't find the game very satisfying to play because I'll get 200 kills on a mission and 150 of them were from airstrikes or a turret. But you are encouraged to be constantly dropping stratagems because enemies arrive in packs of dozens. I never really feel like I'm contributing to the team even if objectively I am based on the stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It did get quite annoying walking into boss fights with no Fable, or walking backwards just to beat up enemies in front of the door on retries. Lies of P is generally quite good about leashing enemies and placing rest stops near boss fights, but it is not always in its favor when there aren't any trash mobs nearby.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God of War addressing the yellow paint complaint by making it Kratos themed paint in Ragnarok was genuinely very funny. The white and red paint is actually harder to spot in the colorful environments so it works as a tweak, but is still so loving dumb narratively that you can only laugh that it's everywhere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo signpost paint is a very obvious crutch. Games that actually have thought put into their direction and steer the player well don't need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me1WilIGQng&t=2987s

The 30 second commentary node at the timestamp is one I will always remember. Objects in the environment cast lights in the direction you should go. Players go wherever there's light.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arivia posted:

That wasn’t terrible to unlock? Kill enemy in out of the way but not super far place, kill other enemy directly next to late game critical route, return to out of the way place with drop from second enemy, go. I guess if you didn’t know what the unlock condition was at all it would be annoying but by Dark Souls standards that’s pretty normal and easy.

It is obvious with documentation but it was so bad they published how to find it on their website because the store description didn't even tell you how

edit: beat by a mile by John Murdoch

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nioh and Nioh 2: Why the hell doesn't the dodge give you invulnerability frames, this game's controls are half finished

(slowed down 50%)
https://i.imgur.com/uVc0D7v.mp4

edit: I looked it up and there are i-frames. You have a whopping 10 frames, in the middle of the dodge. That's hosed up.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Mar 4, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nah, if the game's got a dodge button it should be effective. Don't let me do it if it doesn't do anything.

edit: Look at that distance, it's not even good for repositioning.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
btw before you ever do the high and mighty "skill issue" routine maybe consider the other party has beaten the game already

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You walk way too slowly for the size of the game world in Dragon's Dogma 2. If that weren't frustrating alone, your stamina still isn't infinite outside combat so you have to manage your sprint.

It takes a long time to get anywhere. I would argue that the first hub is in a crappy place on the world map. It's the town at the bottom.

You're intended to set out from it every time to begin your adventure, but there aren't many exits, so your path will become rote quickly.

Morpheus posted:

Edit: In Dragon's Dogma 2, I decided to explore, and found a mine. Neat, went through the mine and cleared it of goblins. Went back to town. Got a quest to go to the mine. Fine, make my way all the way back to the mine, do the quest, come back. Find a guy in town who tells me to meet him...near the mine. Goddamnit.

This got me too, some place called Trevo Mine early on. The lack of innovation over the first one in any way is a little depressing.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:45 on Mar 28, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There also aren't portcrystal destinations in places where you really would want them to be like major towns, so for example if you want to frequently use the smithing services at the elf village you have to waste one. I finally got one from a quest in that village and then immediately felt compelled to stick it there. The village doesn't sell another one, so you're likely to walk away with no reward. It's a great, customizable fast travel system you're discouraged from using. Just poor game design all around.

Edit: if you doze off on an ox cart to attempt to travel fast, there's a chance a boss monster might appear and just knock it over as you wake up, so you have to walk the rest of the way. It's happened 3 of the 4 times I've taken one now. Once it was shorter to just walk back to town and summon another cart.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Mar 28, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
gently caress Dead Island 2 for doing the giant robot spider thing. It is Kevin Smith's story about Wild Wild West all over again. I get it, the movie star character made for a good opportunity to have the player fight a big mechanical monster on the movie lot. This game is a love letter to horror movies and they often have big spiders. But you don't have to do it. And you don't have to make me fight one in a game where you hit zombies with static infused wrenches.

Here are pictures. It jumps around and shoots acid and scree's like all game spiders do. It's not great. I don't like it. Why did they do this. This is a zombie dropkick game. You are still kicking one and the spider is even just the set dressing so WHY??

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Apr 4, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The setup is even kind of brilliant, too. The main side-character is a movie star and when the zompocalypse hit they were filming RISE OF THE GOD SPIDER and so the whole set is still there. It's foreshadowed by posters and maps and all kinds of fun stuff. If you're NOT afraid of spiders I heartily recommend this game!! If you are then gently caress you I guess??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Update: Playing Old Gods of Asgard does in fact help you fight bosses in other video games. Got past the spider. A thing dragging games down is that they don't all have boss fights set to Poets of the Fall infused rock music.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really disliked system shock tbh, at least the remake. Directionless landmark-less rear end game that looks like it takes place in Roblox with annoying minigames and shooting respawning enemies with non refundable resources. It was hard to pay attention to the actual game when I was spending a lot of it looking at the map, rerunning floors to find the next place to go. Shodan's voice acting was the only reason I stuck around.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Apr 29, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Syphon Filter is unbearably hard, like wow. Instant failure stealth missions, instant kill explosives, missions that get harder if you're spotted, missions with time limits, boss fights that drop in regular enemies at the same time...

I am so glad they made a second one because this is ambitious as all hell but in practice it stinks out loud

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Rising 3 is that way. When it released folks were upset that the "72 Hour Mode" timer isn't real and only progresses after story missions, so the devs added a "Nightmare Mode" that restores the passage of time. But it's still way slow, so you end up milling about chewing up zombies with your flaming steamroller until a mission shows up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Meowywitch posted:

dead rising 3 is fine, actually

100%, but this is the dragging things down thread so I didn't add that I like the game that way.

e: In hindsight I should have because there's nothing wrong with mowing zombies down with a flaming steamroller. That's not a boring activity.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:16 on May 4, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

muscles like this! posted:

Yes, IIRC it also has a thing where after all the elaborate tricks the final battle with him is in a convenience store.

Jedi Survivor sometimes feels like it is an Ubisoft game where they just keep throwing things at you. There's gardening and finding fish and collecting enemy data which you then use in a auto battler, an absurd amount of collectibles for Cal (lightsaber parts, materials the lightsaber parts could be made of, hair, facial hair, shirts, jackets, pants and then also parts for BD-1 and colors) and also a list of bounty hunters to find and kill. Also in addition to the collectibles there are multiple collectibles that you then turn in at shops to buy cosmetic items.

This is why I stopped playing God of War Ragnarok. It just gives you so much poorly placed poo poo you don't want that you have to go in the inventory to equip, constantly breaking up the pace. Then, MORE new stuff is dropped on your head before you can really use or get a feel for what you just got.

Ragnarok is a Terribly paced game, one of the worst directed I've played. I heard that after 20+ hours of linearity it does let you stop following an NPC who's talking and free roam but I didn't get that far. It feels like you're David Copperfield trying to escape chains finding any freedom in that awful thing.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:06 on May 5, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Any game where you can find a mullet in a treasure chest cant be all that bad.

In spite of what I just posted, I totally agree with this. But there is a delicate balance of mullet to gameplay you know?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

Near the end of Final Fantasy: Stranger of Paradise, the protagonist punches an innocent woman out for arguing with him. This is not treated as an especially dark act, and doesn't get any negative reactions whatsoever beyond brief surprise by those nearby; in fact, it's forgotten about pretty close to immediately as they have to wrap up a story that depicts him as a good and pure-hearted man, and introduce his previous, never-before-hinted-at relationship with that same woman he knocked out.

It turns out I HAVEN'T had enough of your disingenuous assertions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I couldn't really get into Helldivers 2 for similar reasons. Please devs put more xp catch up systems in your game. When I started my friend group was a higher level even though we installed only like 20 mins apart. But we leveled up at the same rate so I never caught up.

They just always had better more effective strategems and perks. It was a pretty depressing MP experience, they got hundreds of kills on missions and I got like a dozen. We went back to Deep Rock

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:17 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The folks I've said this to have said that I was actually playing effectively for that reason and didn't realize it, but it sure didn't feel like it. I guess based on the responses it's just not my thing.

Edit: the most memorable thing about the gameplay for me was how annoying managing the sprint was :/

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:48 on May 8, 2024