Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It seems a lot of people dislike the Borderlands series yet can't stop buying the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah they just can't stop buying it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I played the first Borderlands and thought it was alright, but from the complaints in this thread it seems like they went out of their way to make it more annoying with the level scaling and forced memes. On the other hand, there's a thin line between annoyance and addiction, I definitely understand the urge to finish a game if you feel like it's mocking you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I wonder if real cops ever experience the phenomenon I did in True Crime NYC, where pedestrians constantly would leap from the sidewalk into the path of my car, killing themselves instantly and tanking my Good Cop Points.

They do in Russia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

World Famous Whore posted:

I am finally getting around to playing Mass Effect and the Mako has so far been my least favorite thing about it. I hate driving over these stupid hilly rear end planets. And you are to tell me that the option in the next two games are worst?

gently caress.

The Mako seemed specifically programmed to tip over almost constantly. It's like they didn't bother to test that part of the game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

A main draw of the Witcher is that the main character is sterile and disease-immune so he can gigolo his way across the land without fear of repercussion. It's trashy, but that's because it's a house built in a garbage dump, if you catch my meaning.

If Geralt was real, women would be lining up around the block to have sex with him. So despite being written as a juvenile fantasy, it is at least understandable within the series's universe.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He's got that righteous anger, it's a poignant analysis, I haven't played a Batman game in my life and I still found myself nodding in agreement. They loving ruined this series.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

3,000 words minimum.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Every time I get up to the lava world where you get to put bugs into another bug to make bug magic I give up. I don't care. Someone find me a lets play that skips all the battle scenes so I can finally find out the ending.

I gave up near the end as well and for similar reasons. My main gripe about Anachronox is the JRPG-like battle animations taking loving forever to finish. If you have turn-based combat the animations should be quick and fluid like in Divinity: Original Sin.

Still a really cool game that I only found out about in 2012.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I played an Ayutthaya game where I was allied to Vietnam for more than three centuries, even though we bordered each other almost from the beginning.

The way the system generally works is not that unrealistic, if you look at historical Europe alliances would flip every few decades.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What would you do if you were a nude Night Elf lady? I wager you'd do the same.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wow, Jastiger is really terrible at this game that I've never heard of. He keeps doing 1 damage before immediately dying. I am surprised but proud that no one so far has told him to git gud.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kazil posted:

That's one of the things dragging TNO down for me. I know it's a dumb on rails shooter but it lacks any and all subtlety and it constantly shoves it's terrible story down your throat.

TNO's setting and plot are so over-the-top and one-dimensional that I subconsciously started viewing it as a parody of Allied propaganda and had to remind myself that yes, the Nazis really were that bad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shai-Hulud posted:

Not as annoying as having to pirate the game to actually get a game where they didn't scratch of any and all references to nazi germany. Because if a german ever sees a swastika in a videogame his brain will explode or turn into full nazi mode...

That one's on Germany, not the developers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As far as the Vox Populi in Bioshock: Infinite are concerned, I don't understand why people keep going on about the game forcing 'the truth is in the middle' down our throats, as if it's historically unprecedented for a revolution to derail, especially one that is violent to begin with. I would say the general outcome itself was about par for the course. One thing that's admittedly stupid is how they immedately turn on Booker because ??? Even Stalin waited some time before eliminating his old comrades. The forced symmetry in that regard is dumb, I do agree with that part.

SiKboy posted:

They assumed no-one would notice the lag because no-one would ever be playing the game with both hands on the controls.

Tagline is Undead & Undressed lol

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Aug 10, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

After 5 or 6 months almost any multiplayer game outside a few (CoD, Battlefield, Borderlands, etc) is going to be filled with high level experts and new players with almost nothing in between .

That's certainly the case in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, where nearly everyone on the regular servers is a level 50 expert effortlessly dragging and doing reverse overheads. On free Steam weekends, it's just a massacre.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

The Witcher 2 has a weird progression where if you main alchemy you'll be weak and struggling for a lot of the game and then suddenly during the late game a switch flips over the course of about half an hour of progression and you become an unkillable god.

That's just the Witcher II in general, that game has a really bizarre difficulty curve. The most challenging non-boss fight in the entire game for me was in the goddamn prologue where you have to fight five dudes and you have almost no abilities. I died dozens and dozens of times in Chapter I, whereas in the later two chapters I rarely died and was able to beat the final two boss fights just by button mashing.

That said, still preferable to Bethesda-style level scaling since at least you get that sense of progression.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inco posted:

Personally, the hardest part of the game for me was the last sidequest, where you go into the sewers to find Dearhenna's hideout. I must have died 10 times in that small room with the three rotfiends, and then 4 more to the Adelbert and whats-her-face fight. After I finished that quest, I didn't get killed once, not even by the final boss.

I was worried for a moment because I had no idea what you were talking about, but apparently that's a quest that only shows up if you take Iorveth's path. Yeah, in general Chapter III is the easiest part of the game, that final fight against Letho they give you a bunch of space, so you can just cast Aard on him, get in a few hits if it's effective, and when he recovers you just do your ridiculous 'dodge' 500 m in the opposite direction.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

.....but enough about real life, haha. :D

Haha

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Dec 14, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Morglon posted:

So Sword Coast Legends is free on Steam this weekend and I figure I'd give it a shot. Make my account, make a character, not really entirely D&D but whatever, get into the game and there's this weird fog of war effect that's purple and ripples all over the place and after a minute and two fights I have to shut the game off because that effect combined with camera movement made me physically ill. Can't really say if the game has any merit to it but it's pretty bad when it literally assaults your senses to the point of almost making you throw up.

The game has a 51% score on Steam, I honestly wouldn't even bother trying it for free.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Maybe. In this case, judging from the reviews I guess people were expecting a proper D&D game and they basically got a single-player MMO, which is why they're perhaps being harsher than they normally would be.

I'd never even heard of this game but apparently quite a few people had high hopes of it being a latter-day Baldur's Gate.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Fallout 4 has a few parts where you have a large number of NPC allies vs a large number of enemies and these scenes just do not work due to the facts that 1) Damaging any of your friends makes them suddenly go hostile on you the moment the event is over, and 2) They are idiots and want to run up to the enemies to slap them for some reason instead of using their considerably more powerful guns, making it extremely hard not to do this at some point, especially because I maxed out the explosives skill so I want to use my homing rocket launcher and grenades. It also means you can't use the minuteman artillery in these scenes even though it would be absolutely perfect for them, because your dumbass friends will run straight into the signal smoke and blame it on you when they get shelled.

Between this and some of the other complaints in this thread, I gather that Bethesda has learned basically nothing at all in the past few years.

It's a pity because I was stoked for Fallout 4, but I think I'll wait until it goes on sale in about a year or so.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Morrowind sold 4 million copies while Skyrim sold over 20 million and then Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies in its first day, they've learned that the overwhelming majority of people love what they've been doing and want more of it.

I have no doubt that it's a good game and that I'll have fun playing it, it's just that they never seem to do anything about the things dragging their games down. It's not some elitist goon complaint either, companions constantly getting in your way and turning on you at the drop of a hat is not something that should exist in a game from 2015.

That said, I haven't played it myself yet, so who knows, might be an exaggeration.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't wrap my head around someone thinking the first two games in a particular series are 'absolutely awful' and then still buying the third game. He bought every single game in the series! I actually like the Witcher but I still haven't bought the third one because I want to work on my remaining backlog first and the price is a little steep even with the current sale.

Some goons are amazingly, insanely bad at voting with their money.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thing dragging down Age of Wonders III: it's too hard. I just can't get past the fourth Elven mission.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you only played the first few hours of Witcher II then your character was still complete poo poo and lacking most combat moves. The same thing happened to me a few years ago when I first started playing, I got to the insane prologue fight (you know the one) and quit playing in disgust. The secret is that you need to stick with it, the combat will start getting better at the end of Chapter I and by the final chapter you're a murder god.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Morglon posted:

Divinity: Original Sin is a complex game, It's easily 60 hours long, more to the tune of 80, it manages to tell you everything you need to know through gameplay, dialogue or in universe notes. There is some more poo poo you can find out if you so choose and you can sperg with the crafting but you don't need to beyond the basic you want sword fire? Put fire thing in it! I enjoyed every minute of it. Multiple times. I even enjoyed the more than a day of accumulated game time during the alpha stages to see how poo poo is developing. Your game does absolutely not have to be poo poo to start out with and good games never are. It's not some miracle that they're not it's people actually putting effort into what they're making and it shows that they do. Again, there is no excuse not to make a compelling gaming experience from minute one and when someone tells me I have to do this and that to prepare or get this many hours into it I tell them to gently caress off, my time is too precious to invest in something that may be good with the right mindset or given some time, I have tons of games around that are good right the gently caress now.

The Witcher II is a good game with a number of flawed design decisions dragging it down. The frontloaded difficulty is one of those. I totally understand giving up in frustration, I did it myself a few years back, but once I finally got past that first stage it was a fun, rewarding game that left me satisfied at the end. That's all I have to say about it, if you don't feel like making that initial investment is worth it, that's a perfectly valid preference.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

dunno about everyone else, but the toughest fight i had early on was with letho. it was the only time i had to drink some potions and spam bombs to scrape by. i learned on the second playthrough that aard removes his shield and stunlocks him enough to get some free hits. as for the plot: everyone's trying to take control of the pontar valley and letho plays them all for chumps while getting paid by emhyr. emhyr gets a territory that's softened up by all the political unrest.

Yeah, Witcher II starts out rough but comes together quite nicely in the later parts of the game, both in terms of story and gameplay. In fact, when you finally find out what Letho's deal is, it's almost disappointingly mundane.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can understand that, yeah. With some genres (FPS) you can just roll with it, but if you're playing an RGP you generally need to know what you're doing. Just now, playing Baldur's Gate: EE I'm surprised at how little information there is on the new companions and quests.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Isn't that almost every big kickstarter game so far? Even Schafer suffered from it on Broken Age.

Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun. Though D:OS was only partly Kickstarter-funded.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Well my roll came out pretty drat good at 16 STR, 10 DEX, 17 CON, 12 INT, 13 WIS, and 17 CHR so I guess I can't really complain. :shobon:

Wait you didn't keep rerolling until you had godlike stats in almost everything?

Those are good stats for a paladin but Dexterity is useful for any character and should always be as high as possible (I think it stops giving extra bonuses when you get past 19).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Witcher 2: The game has a problem of inversely rewarding you.

You can buy a diagram to craft a sword, lug around the materials needed, and pay a merchant to make the weapon OR you can find a better sword just lying on the ground for free.

I remember in the final chapter I went to a lot of effort to craft a particular sword only to find a far better weapon five minutes later. While in the second chapter crafting your weapon seemed actually worth it. The Witcher II in general is kind of all over the place.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm really, really sick of fantasy settings in games that resemble Britain, with the British weather and the stupid "ello guvna" accents and the savage Welshmen wild elves in the forest. Going to beat up on Dragon Age again, because Ferelden is loving boring. Hell Sten even tells you why it's such a boring, dreary setting in the game's dialogue! And when it's not England with dragons it's probably Icy Viking Land. If we must do medieval European fantasy, why not a setting that resembles Flanders, or Italy, or Switzerland, or Russia, or Spain? Especially Spain, medieval Spain is way the gently caress more interesting as source material to be processed into a fantasy land than goddamn England, with numerous vastly different peoples and cultures (Castilians, Moors, Portuguese, Basques, Sephardic Jews, etc.) in contact and conflict and climate and terrain that differs radically from the European standard (oh, right, "European standard" in fantasy means "British"). Also it means the setting will have to acknowledge that black people actually exist, considering that they ruled Spain for 500 years.

'Black people' never ruled Spain. I agree with the rest of the post, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I genuinely regret missing out on the Baldur's Gate series. It seems like it would be the perfect game for being a kid with unlimited free time but as an adult is just a tedious slog.

It's no more of a tedious slog than other games of its type, though I've never quite finished it. I still have a savegame halfway through Throne of Bhaal, the farthest I've ever gotten.

I think it's just that when it comes to this sort of thing, contrary to popular belief, many adults have shorter attention spans now than they did when they were children. The combination of Steam + high-speed Internet + disposable income has spoiled us.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Morglon posted:

There are old games I can replay to this day without a problem and some I just can't get into anymore. I recently tried to get back into Baldur's Gate and while I don't generally mind most things second edition D&D rules are much more tedious than I remembered them.

Baldur's Gate is one of those series that I can play today, no problem. I actually replayed both games just last year. It's fine. I won't argue about the D&D rules though, it's a miracle that the game works as relatively well as it does.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Things dragging Mount and Blade Warband down:siege battles. Some maps are hilariously simple, others are incredibly difficult. All of them share repetitive slash-at-dudes heads.

I had a siege in Warband the other day where I straight up could not join the melee fighting until it was almost over. My own guys kept crowding me off the ladder. I kept falling down over and over, taking damage each time. Let your OP lord through so we can actually win, you goddamn idiots.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Bound By Flame. I've never wanted a game to be over as much as I wanted this one to be. I didn't "romance," only had to talk to an NPC if it was required, anything that prolonged the game any further just caused further agony.

If a game is bad and you don't like it, you should stop playing that game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah but that dude is a twenty/thirtysomething nerd with disposable income just like the rest of us

I had that attitude towards books up until a few years ago. I insisted on finishing books even when I wasn't enjoying them. Then I learned to just put bad books down and it's much better that way. Life's too short to waste your free time on doing things you don't enjoy just to make a point.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think the Battlefield series was ever particularly balanced, even back in Battlefield 2 it was mostly about dicking around. Probably why I quickly lost interest.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

Let's not forget the best chase scene ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-L-G1q_0L8

I don't know anything about Heavy Rain, but it somehow always makes me laugh. Nothing beats the legendary Shaun! though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Every one of these is gold, it's like they did it on purpose