Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oliver Madly posted:

Has anyone ever liked mining in Harvest Moon games? It's always the same repetitive, time consuming bullshit over and over again. It's even worse in Sunshine Islands because there aren't better items that negate stamina usage, just the Wonderful Stone system that's impossible to predict unless you reload your save dozens of time. Also 255 floors? Are you loving kidding me?

It sucks slightly less in Tale of Two Towns, and A New Beginning. It's still repetitive, but the mines are just one 'floor' with nodes that are pretty much "Push button, get prizes." The really tedious thing is savescumming for specific materials in ANB (which you will be doing, if you want to finish things in a timely fashion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Really are any of the Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games any good at all?

If you don't like the base parts of it (farming, bribing people into liking you, etc.), then no, there's probably not any one would consider good.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

I can see why they'd be fun but everything seems so linear in the farm building and really repetitive.

It is, but that's also kind of why I like them. For some people it'd be super annoying, but for me it's the perfect sit down and chill series.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

scarycave posted:

I really don't like RPG games that use the "miss the best poo poo in the game" because you did something that you'd have no idea would lock you out of it, or stealing something from a boss. Like the Genji gear in 12.

And yeah, it is pretty bad that all your characters are human (save one). Even the expanded roster in the sequel is still pretty much all human save for the rabbit girl again and the winged guy.

Square managed to realize the "Open a random unremarkable chest, no Zodiac Spear for you!" thing was bullshit at least, in the IZJS version.

The rare drops, rare steals, pray the RNG likes you that day items? Not so much, unfortunately. That poo poo is still there. Annnnd that's what they made the Zodiac Spear, because they removed the guaranteed one.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Any game that locks stuff behind multiplayer/connection to someone else with the game, especially if it uses StreetPass on the 3DS. Exclusive equipment in FF Tactics: War of the Lion, some of the trophies in Final Fantasy Theatrhythm, a million and one achievements in other games, etc.

This poo poo is fine with stuff like Pokemon. That's sort of the point of the games, and the Global Trade Station makes things easy. But man, the local wi-fi style stuff, or stuff where you can't search for non-friended players over the internet just doesn't fly. There's also the point where if I buy a single-player game, I kind of want to play, shock and awe, a single player game. Not track down some other person who owns it just to unlock a sword or something.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I would love it if Final Fantasy Theathrhythm made it so you didn't get crystal drops for crystals you don't need anymore. At least I'm pretty sure it is dropping them, since it fills in that slot on the boss' drop list with whatever now useless crystal I didn't need. I just want to unlock the last four characters I don't have without it taking a million years!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I like unlocking cosmetic items. It depends on how games go about it. I still think Okami had a great idea with unlocks.

Pretty much all of Okami's bonus unlocks were handled well. Except the String of Beads. Most of the beads were easy enough, just explore a bit and dig them up or find them in chests. And then there's Blockhead Grande. The first three Blockheads? Maybe a bit challenging, but no problem. Blockhead Grande though. 8 points to remember, in a fairly short time for them being shown.

I have played through Okami several times since its initial release, and I still have never unlocked the String of Beads.

AngryRobotsInc has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Jul 30, 2014

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

bilperkins2 posted:

I never understand people who play console-centric games on PC and don't have a controller. Many console games are designed solely with controller in mind, some are downright unplayable on K&M. A wired Xbox controller is like $20.

I for the life of me can't find an official wired controller anywhere near me at that price, or a decent third party one. My current third party one probably has the worst d-pad in the history of d-pads, and the sticks aren't much better.

I pretty much just use a PS2 controller and a Super Joy Box 3 Pro for everything.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The VII translation isn't that bad. Even the tutorial line is hurt more by having a line break, without a comma or an 'and' to connect the lines, making you take "Attack while its tail is up" as a standalone phrase. Taken altogether, it's obviously what to do.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lord Chumley posted:

It's bad because of a misplaced "!".

http://imgur.com/KSGNGwJ

Right. Been a while since I'd seen the actual line.

VII's biggest issue with translation is it was (probably) translated in-house on the Japanese side of things. So it's overly literal in a bunch of spots, and the grammar and spelling can be quite spotty. For the most part though, it's not terribly hard to understand, and doesn't have any outright story changing mistakes like some games (Chrono Trigger is an example of that, sort of).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

whats the chrono trigger mistake?

It's pretty minor, and you have to actually be talking to NPCs to see it, but at one point in the original translation, Janus is called Schala's step-brother.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tunicate posted:

That's the 'Lavos is splicing in DNA to force human evolution' nonsense, right?

Which ended up getting back-ported into Chrono Cross' horrible plot.

There's really a whole bunch of mistakes in the original translation like that. The Lavos influencing evolution and technology aspect is North American only. I thiiiink it was left out of the DS version, but I haven't played that one in a while. It's never anything major, that would completely change the plot. Just a bunch of stuff that changes small aspects of the story.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

They changed something about Wander's grip in the HD port of Shadow of the Colossus, so now when a Colossus even thinks about moving, he flops around entirely too much and entirely too long. It is REALLY annoying. Especially since certain ones, like the third Colossus, start thrashing around almost nonstop when you get over their weakpoint(s).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

RPG is kind of a very broad genre to try and pin down with being about this thing or that thing.

Eastern RPGs started trending toward being about the story very early in their history, being heavily influenced by the visual novel genre that's pretty much always been around on PCs in Japan. The late 80s is when it started to really pick up speed. Just look at the shift between Final Fantasy I and II, released about a year apart. Final Fantasy I has the same sort of bare bones story as Dragon Quest. II has a much more involved story, though it's still pretty RPG on the NES weak (baby steps). By the time the SNES rolls around, story driven games are the norm rather than the exception.

Western RPGs and Eastern RPGs might as well be completely different genres, especially when it comes to how and when stories started being important.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think a lot of the weird lore in the background is sort of a hold over from ES's origins in tabletop RPGs. It's very easy to have this weird, awesome stuff when you're just describing it. Like the planes in D&D. Not so easy when you're trying to bring it across in a game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Finally getting around to playing Nanashi no Game, and man is the control scheme complete rear end. And you walk slooooow. Great atmosphere, and the cursed game parts manage to actually be pretty unsettling even with NES style graphics, but I don't know if I can put up with the granny with a walker level speed you move at.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The camera in Nier is rear end. Not rear end enough to make me ever stop playing (it is a crime the game did not do all that well), but juuuuust enough to cock things up at the exact wrong moment without fail.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Xander77 posted:

3. For some random reason you can barely scroll the screen from where you are, and your character AI is actually worse at navigating around obstacles than the Baldur's Gate AI. You basically have to babysit or waypoint for any significant run across the city as you fetch quest.

If you're using the mods that increase resolution, run it with the command line '-scrolldist:0'. That'll give you infinite scrolling distance.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Persona Q: The general aesthetic of the UI is abstract blue and yellow patterns, which makes it really confusing that the "exit" button for the help tips on the map is actually the corner of the screen that's colored blue instead of yellow and has no indication that it's a button whatsoever.

I almost had to reset my game because of this, because I could not figure out how the hell to get out of the tips. I got lucky randomly pressing poo poo hoping it would magically go away.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Last Story has apparently a ton of poo poo (dyes, equipment, materials, etc.) locked behind multiplayer. I'm pretty sure I bitched about this before in this thread, but drat it, when I buy a JRPG I am looking for a single player experience. The Wii online play being no longer active is also slightly problematic in unlocking all that poo poo.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

scarycave posted:

I don't think it would be so bad if it had multiplayer that wasn't purely online.
Because than you'd actually be able to use multiplayer mode.

Really bugs me when you get a game that you think its multiplayer, so you go to play it with someone else, and it turns out its online only.

This too. One of my housemates and I were super excited for Dead Island, since we had a blast playing Left For Dead co-op and were looking for something similar to play together. Until we found out it didn't have local multiplayer, without getting into system linking stuff. Huge disappointment.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Some JRPGs are specially bad about this. Like Okage: Shadow King. It was a fun, quirky game with some not so fun gameplay. See, if the main character died in battle it was game over, even if every other character had full health. It also had a gimmicky battle system where characters and enemies could attack at the same time.

Cue most battles starting with every enemy in the battle attacking the main character at the same time leading to an instant game over or near it.

Ah, so they went with the SMT/Persona (some of them) method.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I'm trying to remember - wasn't part of the problem that the fishing instructions in-game in NieR were flat-out wrong?

Poorly explained, more than flat out wrong, as I recall.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

The thing dragging Guild Wars 2 down for me was the storyline. It's fairly interesting stuff, if a bit generic, but your character is the central hero. Then at some point this incredibly bland Mary Sue NPCs character comes in, becomes the commander of all the armies and the story switches to focusing entirely on him, and you basically do chores to help this guy you don't care about at in the slightest. He doesn't do much either since you're still the one doing all the work, but all the other NPCs praise him.

It's kind of a silly thing to be annoyed at in an MMORPG but it ruined a perfectly serviceable story.

My friend I play with has had to listen to me bitching on Vent about this waaaay too much. I did all the work, why is that dude getting credit!?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

RotN has a lot of DNA from Aria and Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia. Which were very "Find the abilities you like and tear apart everything before you". I spent a large portion of one of the Sorrow games tossing screaming plant babies at everything, because they just destroyed poo poo.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm still working through the SMT Strange Journey remake, and while it's still overall fun, the dungeon design is hitting a point where aggravation is starting to overshadow the fun. I like the square-by-square automapping setup, and it makes sense that they'd have to get more convoluted as you progress. But then they start doing long autoscrolling floors, multilevel dungeons with blind pits dropping you down a floor, and substantial sections wandering in the dark where you can't see and your map doesn't work.

Any one is doable on its own, but eventually they all combine into a slog. I just gave up and started looking at maps, and it's like, I have to blindly stumble through all these together in multiple loops through four floors if I'm doing it on my own to find the next plot point? Thaaaaat's about my breaking point :effort:

e: OK, after just gamefaqs-ing my way through multiple floors they eventually give you a tool to see in dark corridors, but that seems like almost Trumpian levels of solving problems you yourself created so I'm still angry :colbert:

The NG+ parts of the dungeons are even worse.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can forgive it part of the way because I like the very old-school square-by-square vibe, but it certainly tested my patience sometimes with the convoluted layouts even before the stuff I was complaining about.

The weird thing is, it's almost a fluke that I picked it up. I know literally nothing about the series other than a vague idea of demons and dungeon crawling, so I have no clue whether this is par for the franchise course or an oddball entry.

Strange Journey is very much in line with the older games, SMT 1 and 2. It's got some QoL things those don't have, but the dungeon crawling is very similar. III/Nocturne, IV, and IVA are different, when it comes to dungeon crawling, in that it isn't first person, though they're still fairly grid based in the actual dungeon layouts. Other games of its era also tend to let you outright choose which skills you pass on, which SJ only does if you pass on more skills than the demon can hold. Otherwise, you get what you get, and have to reset otherwise.

So, overall, gameplaywise, it's a throwback to the older games, but storywise, I'd say it's more in line with later in the series.

The spin offs their own things. Persona is more typical JRPG in a lot of ways, at least starting with P3 (the earlier games still have more of their SMT roots). The Devil Survivor games are SRPGs. So on.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who has played the SNES SMT games, which are basically Strange Journey but without QoL upgrades: SJ has the worst mazes out of all of them. Teleporter mazers! :argh:

If you're up for some great atmosphere SMT 1+2 with fan translations and patches on the SNES are some of my favorites. Spooky and weird and fun to explore.

On the note of the SMT 1 translation, be sure to get the bug fix version, instead of the base Aeon Genesis one. Can be found here.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The DLC for Breath of the Wild somehow decided to remove itself from my Switch, and now I have to redownload it. My internet is pretty crap, so this is way more annoying than it should me.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Pets take an irritatingly long time to reach max level in Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns. The amount of exp you get for doing stuff is hilariously poorly balanced compared to how much exp is needed to reach level 10.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I dig that song like whoa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX2lIadJIZ8

I like Luxurious Overture a whole bunch as well. Feels a lot like the music from the Castlevania games RotN inherited pretty much all its DNA from.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

I thought the rest of the non-classic Castlevania games had pretty crap music, honestly. Some of the melodies sound good when they're remixed and played with different instruments, but the tinny sound out of the GBA/DS always ruined everything.

Even decent sound capabilities don't save Harmony of Dissonance. I love the game, and it actually doesn't look bad once you remove the Dayglo outlines from Juste and some other things. But looooord, that music is awful.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

I still have never beaten SotN because I play it and end up thinking "this is nowhere near as cool as Dawn of Sorrow". :colbert:

Yesssss.

I came in way late on SotN. I'd already played all the GBA games, and very soon after played Dawn of Sorrow.

SotN is an important game to the genre. But it shows its age in a lot of ways, and every game of its sort after took on it and built on the formula.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm playing the original NES Ninja Gaiden and gently caress me this is some bullshit. Getting to Act 5 wasn't too hard, but after that I have no idea how anyone ever completed this on original hardware.

We mostly didn't!

Honestly, though, if we did it was because that was the only god drat game we had that was any good and we played the hell out of it, because they were not cheap and reviews were not as thick on the ground as they are these days.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Len posted:

Was the dualshock out by then?

The DualShock came out in Japan about a year before, and about five months before in the US, Ocarina of Time.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dragon Warrior II on the GBC

Great game if you like Dragon Quest, but the zoomed in field of vision makes it pretty trying to get anywhere without a world map pulled up from somewhere.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Samuringa posted:

The niche FFXV that recouped its production costs on Day 1 and the fall of FFXIV, the only MMORPG left still worth playing :rolleyes:

Seriously. I know people like to rag on XIII and XV, but the series is far from dead. XIII-2 has sold something like 10 million copies. Lightning Returns didn't sell a whole bunch, but it met sale expectations Square set for it. XIV has somewhere around 16 million subscribers. XV has sold over 8 million copies. World of Final Fantasy has sold well, for being a spin off. Also a spin off, Brave Exvius has been downloaded almost 40 million times worldwide. Etc. etc.

Those numbers are insane for a JRPG, especially the sequel and spin off numbers. Final Fantasy is doing just fine.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Just about every FF game starting with VIII has been "the downfall of FF". I was just starting high school when VIII dropped. I remember it well. And I remember the hate each title got following that. VIII was the downfall for the janky story, the poorly done love story, the junction system. IX was the downfall because it went back to the roots, for the AP system, for the slow rear end battles. X was the downfall because Tidus, Sphere Grid, laughing scene. Etc.

People act like "FF IS OVER" is some new thing. This poo poo has been going on since the late 90s, and yet here the series still is, still going strong.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Poulpe posted:

I think you're describing negatively received traits of the individual titles, which are fair, but those don't necessarily remark on the series. I know plenty of people that loved and love the crap out of 8, 9, X, because their mechanics and characters were engaging despite the problems.

Point to me one person that is super eager to go replay 13, or Crisis Core, or the completely out of left field "Final Fantasy 4: The After Years," or even 15. There's been a long combo streak of unrepentant junk that I think is far more indicative of a cultural downfall.

I replay XIII somewhat regularly. I've played XV three times so far, with a fourth probably coming soon. Crisis Core was alright. And so was TAY.

I'm that one person.

Also I don't like VI and IX. My favorite title is IV, with VIII, X, and XV in a constantly rotating slap fight for second depending on which I've most recently played.

It's almost like different people have different taste in games, and those ones you think are unrepentant junk have fans out there. Astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

XIII, voted the best game of 2009 by reader poll in Dengeki. Got a 39 out of 40 from Famitsu. Received good reviews almost across the board in the West. Sold over 7 million copies worldwide.

XV, 38 out of 40 from Famitsu. Generally good reviews across the board. Has sold over 8 million copies worldwide. Has been acknowledged as saving the series as a whole.

I think we have very different definitions of poorly received.