Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Yardbomb posted:

Talking about Dead Space, one gripe is that man does the original game and probably the others too, get better when you turn off the music. That game telegraphs and subsequently kinda ruins the surprise of so many of it's 'AND THEN A NECROMORPH POPS OUT' and encounters with them in general with the music.

Dead Space 2 is by far the best one because as I recall they use the music more for creepy as hell atmosphere, and the whole colony aspect doesn't limit you to ~creepy ship~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If you really didn't like Dead Space 1 I'd still highly recommend checking out 2. The game improves in every single aspect. As I recall you move faster (even then there's a run button), the design of the game moves away from monster closets that are obvious since you're not in close corridors or on a ship constantly, the enemies are designed in such a way that they don't just explode outta random things, they'll sneak up/come outta places you didn't expect, the story's better as well.

Dead Space 2 is honestly one of the best horror games of the last 10 years and honestly better than Resident Evil 5 and 6 and, tbh, Revelations 1.

3 sucks rear end though.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Resident Evil 7 is amazing buuuuuut

Holy poo poo the molded can gently caress off. One or two are fine, but holy loving poo poo, the basement has like 12 of them and I'm getting my poo poo kicked in. I can take out like 7 but then I'm out of ammo and just furiously slicing at them and blocking them. Once or twice I get VERY lucky and take them out in like 2 headshots, but sometimes the fuckers eat all my ammo in like two battles.

Holy gently caress, there was no loving need for that many of them in one small area.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I said it before but man oh man in Resident Evil 7: The Molded loving suck hardcore and stop the game dead in it's tracks. The game goes from an amazing spooky haunted house, to a shooting gallery with enemies that ruin you incredibly fast and just loving gobble up every last shred of ammo you have. Two or three are okay, but there are way way WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many of them.

I went into the basement with 5 shotgun shells, 28 pistol bullets and 10 special pistol bullets and STILL had to resort to my knife to kill the last two. What a loving awful idea

Edit: Also one for Fallout 4

So I'm being chased by some dudes WAY WAY over my level, whatever, I run into another building. Oh cool, so it's a small room and the enemy warped in there with me! Oh rad! Now I'm being killed literally the second I load back in. What an awesome and well put together game!

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Feb 2, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

RyokoTK posted:

they should make a game where u shoot zombies but the zombies are like... people on their iphones

really makes u think

The final battle is you taking out an EEEEVIL cell phone tower and everyone puts down their phones.....and reads a Richard Dawkins book while Dragonforce plays in the background

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
"You see in Far Cry 5 we really wanted to make a statement. Every time you take out a tower, you will be given more Tarian Points. With these you can upgrade skill trees and get more perks. Some are passive like allowing you to have all female enemies immediately run when you approach, or you can use active abilities that allow you to hack computers and set up flash mobs to protect your territory."

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Kontradaz posted:

Only goons would act incredulous at some wacky idea for a game that tbh would probably be better than the boring poo poo environment and (non-existent) story the Far Cry series has had.

Heh yeah man, those dumb goons! Man that idea about a super smart and super cool college student blowing away those dumb stupid poors and republicans sure is a good idea, man you and him should collab!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That reminds me of Tomb Raider, the most 7/10 game I've ever played. You take one Uncharted clone, but after you shoot everyone you can play the game like a boring collectathon, just picking poo poo up. Add in some half-baked RPG mechanics and the most cliched story on Earth and you'll get this extremely average game. Of all the games ever made, this is one of them.

in literally no way is TR a collectathon, did you play some game and mix it up or something?

Also 7/10 is above average

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

RyokoTK posted:

7/10 is not above average in vidya games.

That's really dumb

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Review score systems are really loving stupid in general and are only useful for people who can't be bothered to read.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Arkham games rules but holy loving poo poo

gently caress ARMOR GUYS. What an awful idea. In a game where combat is designed to be free flowing why on earth would you include dudes who stop you dead in your tracks and require the dumbest loving move in the game to take them out? It's really really cool to have to perform the dumb loving beat down movie while 50 other guys are kicking my rear end.

Oh and I absolutely despise the cute little ~the villain mocks you for dying~ poo poo. It's funny the first time, not the next 400 times. gently caress off with that bullshit.

OI AINT YOU A PERSISTENT PAIN IN ME BOTTA MR COBBAPOT AINT TAKIN NO VISITA SO GET IM BOIS

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Feb 6, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

You can counter other enemies while using beatdown, and armour doesn't stop takedowns.

That changes jack poo poo. I'm still getting loving mobbed, I'm still forced to listen to the single worst loving British accent in recorded history, I've got knife guys absolutely annihilating me, I've got those box throwing dickheads hitting me when I'm at least 2 meters away from where they land and it takes three loving tried to take one armor guy out.

It's a HORRIFIC design decision, like I'm flabbergasted at who on earth thought that was a good idea.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

Sounds like he's just bad, tbh. The Final Offer shouldn't give you problems if you're smart - dodge knives, don't get surrounded, and Takedowns automatically target armour over regular thugs.

Ok dude, you got me I'm literally retarded and terrible at games. Thanks forums user poptart_fairy.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

Your first response was to screech that advice did "jack poo poo" and you haven't done anything further to explain what your actual problem is. Not that unfair to assume you're bad, tbh.

Yes dude, my response was screeching. Shut up poptart_fairy.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Did the new Dues Ex game manage to fix the whole boss issue? The last one felt like they crowbarred them in?

So, Fallout 4. It didn't give me too much trouble, but drat The Mirelurk Queen seems like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too strong to be that early in the game. I had to cheese the thing by hiding in the castle walls and taking potshots and relying on the team to take her out.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Feb 7, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Man, Arkham Origins story pisses me off.

After two games of the Joker as the main villain I was totally into the idea of Black Mask being the big bad, dealing with new baddies (I mean, besides Bane) and exploring new stuff. Then: WHOOPS JOKER THE WHOLE TIME! OH THOSE OTHER KILLERS? EH, SIDE STORIES I GUESS. The Joker origin sequence was legit well done but fuuuuuuuck that bait and switch bullshit.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Aside from Kane and Lynch are there any other found footage games?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Feonir posted:

Literally a few segments in Resident Evil 7. I will see myself out.

Oh also a Blair Witch game iirc, a few by now I am sure.

The segments from RE7 is actually what got me interested. A game composed entirely of tapes like that would be pretty cool.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The weirdest thing about MGS V for me is that they thought to end the series (except for that lovely upcoming zombie game) on a Big Boss story. Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like the last game you make in a series should probably be the final part of the story. MGS V just kinda ended like a wet fart Yeah you're not really Big Boss but hey people think you are perception is history blah blah blah blah

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Action Tortoise posted:

Solid Snake's story ended with 4. It was a weak end, but fine enough and closed off most of the dangling plot threads the series had at that point.

Honestly, I think Peace Walker and V are unnecessary sequels. V is especially egregious because there's so many characters introduced in Peace Walker that never return. Amanda should have had some appearance since Chico was an important figure in Ground Zeroes, and while Cecile was vestigial as characters go, there was still some references between her and Miller.

Remake Metal Gear 1 and 2 then :colbert:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I absolutly thought it was all leading to those remakes. It's monumentally loving stupid to spend multiple games building up Big Boss, his past, his pain and then when you get to the defining moment of his life (aside from Snake Eater) it's like "Welp, go play those old rear end 8 bit games lol"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Man these are my favorite things dragging down video games

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Croccers posted:

already cheap pot-shotty spiteful game.

What?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Is Andromeda worth getting? All the early reviews I've read make is sound like the worst game in the series. Does the story get more interesting?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Were any of the Saga games any good? I remember playing Saga Frontier when I was a kid and I liked the multiple characters idea but as I recall the story was really loving bad and it was REALLY grind heavy.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Also the second dungeon in general is just super loving gross. P5 wasn't great about gay characters but this is just awful.

Yeah, as TGLT stated the dungeon isn't so much meant to be a look at how gay people actually ARE so much as a certain character's FEAR of how they could be interpreted as a gay person.

It's basically all the stereotypes of a flamboyant gay man taken up to 11. It's what Kanji sees as what would happen if he accepted himself as gay. It's his fear of everyone seeing him as that. It's been a while but I'm 99% sure that once you beta it and he accepts himself he stays the exact same, hell he's even happier about himself. It's not the game going "HEH, HOMOS RIGHT?" and I'm not gonna say it's done perfectly, but it's very obviously making a point about Kanji's inner fears like how Yukiko is afraid of being chained down and her fears turn into an insane princess stereotype.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Flood loving suck so loving hard.

Hey guys lets have a zombie horde villain. But let's also give them loving shotguns, ROCKET LAUNCHERS, and loving grenades. Also let's have so many on screen that it is literally impossible to tell who has what weapon, and running? Pfft gently caress that, let's shove em into tight hallways so they block you in and kill you instantly with shotguns and melee.

I've died on one section at least 50 drat times. I'm low on health and you have to sacrifice your shield to blow up some generator. Then you get killed instantly from the 5 billion zombies with loving shotguns.

The absolute WORST is you almost manage to make it when OOPS gently caress YOU ONE TOSSED A GRENADE AND KILLED YOU gently caress YOU GO BACK.

WHY WOULD YOU GIVE THEM ON HIT KILL WEAPONS!? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!? This wouldn't be NEARLY as hard if I didn't run an 89% chance of getting shotgunned in the back or blown up instantly.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The twirling blade towers in the original God of War are the most breathtakingly awful design decision in a game I've seen in a long loving time. Is there a single human on the face of earth who liked that section?