Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

You have to admit that "murder hobo" wouldn't look as good on a resumé.

Actually that kind of reminds me: Borderlands 2 has characters constantly being impressed that I'm a "vault hunter" without really ever making clear what that means or why it's so special. It seems like anybody could call themselves one.

I think this is because Handsome Jack has killed almost all the vault hunters already so it's significant that you've survived that long, since apparently you're one of the last. Although it still seemed weird to me that people act like you're really special or their only hope or whatever, since they didn't make the player characters have plot dialogue until the last major DLC so you just stand there awkwardly while they're very impressed that you're a mystical magical vault hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pidmon posted:

My roommate was playing The Witcher 2 the other day and was playing the stupid poker dice game against this one rear end in a top hat.

Every time he won against him he would get told that he was lucky, but not lucky enough to gain a relic of the gods. He would then be booted out of the conversation and pushed back to the centre of the room where he'd have to walk back towards the rear end in a top hat, mash A to get back to the poker game and maybe lose again.

We had a couple theories going - 'maybe you're meant to have double the number of wins?' since he lost the first few times, 'maybe you're meant to become the town's grand champion first?' so he went off and beat another sidequest completely.

After going from 11-8 win/lose to 18-9 win/lose, the last attempt was 'maybe it's ten more wins than losses?'

After he wins again I search on my phone - it was a loving good old games ad that was never removed from the PC game after the promotion ended or removed when it was ported to the 360.

this explains EVERYTHING oh my god that guy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah but getting treasures in wind waker was kind of a pain too because you had to get the wind direction just right and if you overshot a little too much for cruising backward to be worth it, you got to play the wind song again to point back at the treasure, and then again for wherever you wanted to go afterward. No minigame but still kind of a hassle.

They definitely could have made the ship parts more interesting. I forget if they improved it with the train parts at all in the sequel, which I never finished for no reason.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

I finally got around to playing some Uncharted (a little late on that one, I know), but the fight at the end of Chapter 17 is the most unfun thing I've ever had to do half a dozen times before I finally pulled it off.

I've only played Uncharted 3 but this exactly mirrors my experience with a few fights at the end of that game. :v:

The gameplay really degenerates into choreography after awhile.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Forest of the Giants is just a weirdly lovely outlier for Dark Souls 2. The rest of the game is great, and hell, the later parts of the Forest are great, but it just doesn't start well at all.

It's one of my favorite areas in the game and gave me a really good first impression of it :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

QuietLion posted:

So I finished Metro 2033 Redux and it was a pretty great game, outside of 2 sections.

One was when you had to escape Nazis in the tunnels by riding a cart with a machine gun. By default, you looked left and right with A and D and aimed up and down with the mouse. What this meant is that I died several times because in the heat of battle that is a terrible control scheme for hitting small targets. It should have just used the mouse or the keyboard for aiming, not both.

The other was the very end. There was no boss fight or even fighting at all, just three sections where you run towards the bad guy, then away from the bad guy in a maze, then away from the bad guy in a jumping puzzle.

I haven't played Redux so I'm not sure if anything's different about the end, but the lack of a Giant Glowing Weakspot Boss or even much of an antagonist at all was a really good thing about it in my opinion. In terms of gameplay it's probably a little unsatisfying that the last actual fighting you do is shooting mutants while running for your life, but thematically I think it fit better that the ending wasn't about violence (depending on the ending you chose :frog:).

It still felt super climactic the first time I played it, because everything got more and more surreal in the last ten minutes, and even before that I had used every single supply I had except shiny bullets on the run to the tower, so I was left with no option but to weaponize the last of my bank account. It actually felt as desperate as the game wanted it to be.

This isn't the metro thread so I'll save it but Last Light lost a lot of what metro 2033 did so well in my opinion.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

QuietLion posted:

From your description of the tower leading up to the final section of the game, it seems like Redux is pretty similar to the original game. Now I'm curious about choosing endings though, did Artyom perhaps have the option to not bomb the Dark Ones?

Actually yes, but the interesting thing is that you don't necessarily even get the option to do something else, and if you do then it's still your choice to launch the missiles or not. Basically the game tracks your behavior through the whole game and notices when you do something good, for example giving bullets to the beggars and the child in the second station you visit, or sneaking by the nazis talking about their families instead of killing them toward the end of the game. There's a quiet sound effect and the screen brightens for a moment when this happens. Conversely doing things like taking the bullets out of the guitarist's hat at the beginning of the game counts against you.

If you've done enough good things like that, at the end of the game you can shoot the missile tracker off the tower and spare the Dark Ones. However it never tells you it's monitoring what you do and it doesn't really make it obvious that you have that option even when it's available.

The story of Last Light assumes you nuked them however (obviously it's what most players did--I didn't even realize there was another ending or the "enlightened path" thing that lets you see it until I was halfway through my second playthrough). As improved as the gameplay in Last Light was (relative to the original metro 2033 anyway), I was kind of disappointed in how it dealt with that system. It didn't feel nearly as subtle and clever to me, although most people seem to like last light more than I did so maybe I'm being too hard on it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

ME3 REALLY wanted me to give a poo poo about Cortez.

STEEEEEEEVE

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DStecks posted:

Yeah and gently caress games that give you poo poo like quest logs too, you should be forced to use a paper notebook like back in the good old days. And gently caress maps too, and gently caress saving your game at all, if you wanna play a game you should do the whole thing in one hideous sitting like it's Turtles in Time

Absolutely no one is even implying this.

Dragon's Dogma has every one of those things and you're still going to feel lost if you leave for 6 months because that's how almost any similar game works. Progressing quickly requires learning a lot of info about the game (both mechanics/skills and simply where you were/what you'd done) so of course you're going to forget it if you leave for a long time. It took me 20 minutes or so to get sorted out after just a couple weeks away from Lords of the Fallen in the middle of my second playthrough, and that game is considerably shorter.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I always kind of wanted to spend all my hint coins on the really easy puzzles at the start of the games and see if the hint messages get incredibly condescending by the third hint.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dragon's Dogma also has a huge number of items with effectively no purpose at all. I haven't found an item with literally no use yet but there's a ton of them that are so specific that they could really just get removed and it wouldn't matter. Like a broom with no use but to be combined with something else to get a twig. And you can find twigs basically everywhere if you decide you really need one for some reason. Or a bucket with apparently no use but to upgrade one specific helmet a little bit (which can be upgraded with a different item anyway).

So anytime you're just grabbing items without looking and you see a bucket fly into your inventory it's like ugh now I have to find this thing in the middle of all my other trash I'll never use and throw it away (because items have weight and you get slowed down the more you carry).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't played rebirth but binding of isaac felt pretty overrated to me. Not a bad game but definitely not deserving of all the attention it gets. It's incredibly dependent on luck and while part of it does come down to skill, the RNG plays way too big of a part in how much skill you need to win. Sometimes the game decides it's time to be a cakewalk and other times it says gently caress you, and you have no control over which one it decides.

Compare that to games like Spelunky and Crypt of the Necrodancer (and of course more standard roguelikes like Dungeons of Dredmor), which use random layouts to make you actively respond to new situations instead of turning the gameplay into memorization, but without putting a bunch of chances up to the RNG where the game decides whether you're hosed or not. Isaac's procedural elements basically come down to a difficulty setting that the RNG invisibly controls each game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

kazil posted:

Do people really bitch about this? Because regenerating health is perhaps the greatest innovation in video games in the last 20 years.

There are situations where it's good but there are many arguments to be made that it's a detriment or just a crutch used in place of better design. For one I think it tends to make all encounters feel the same and removes a lot of tension when you start every single fight at exactly the same level of readiness. For example in STALKER Call of Pripyat (with the Misery mod) if I'm at full health I'm ready to go kill monsters for stuff to sell, but if I'm on my way home at 20% health and radiation poisoning and I see a pack of boars in the way, I'm going to want to take a detour. It completely changes the level of tension and it also encourages you to play a lot safer and more strategically, because there are no "acceptable" hits you can take.

Regenerating health can be good or bad depending on the game and how it's used but "the greatest innovation in video games in the last 20 years" is a ridiculous generalization.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I find regenerating health can be a problem even in fast paced murdershoot games too. I can think of a lot of cases (every Call of Duty I played was like this) where the game is pushing for nonstop action but if I take a lot of damage the only solution the game has left me is to resolve the situation by huddling motionless behind a brick wall for 10 seconds. It completely breaks the flow of the game and just feels awkward. Serious Sam 3 for example is maybe the fastest-paced FPS I've ever played and it just has health pickups and it works just fine (partly because it also actually lets you quicksave, but quicksaving is another argument...)

I like Monster Hunter's system too where roughly half the damage you take will regenerate extremely slowly (unless you get hit again) but the other part of your health is definitely gone. The regeneration is so slow that I think most players don't even pay attention to that mechanic but healing items take a long time to use so I find it matters. It also rewards you for not getting hit consecutively.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I remember when I saw a "but hole" message, and then saw another one, and then another one, and all those other times too. Those all sure were funny! And then here's "chest ahead" because there's a woman here ha ha it's so funy :vd:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I enjoyed what I played of New Vegas in that the gameplay felt like an improvement on Fallout 3 but I've always been confused by all the praise I've read about it. At some point after playing Skyrim for a long time I got a hankering to go back and play it again, but found that modding it with a lot of the most interesting mods is a huge awkward process with different steps required for each mod (while I had a very easy time with skyrim mods, possibly just because the nexus mod manager existed by then), and that no matter what I did it would always feel incredibly slow and clunky. The frame rate was irregular even though the graphics looked like garbage compared to skyrim, and I didn't find any combination of mods that would fix either that or the frame rate. The controls in most bethesda games have a really noticeable and awkward delay between input and response but combined with the clunky performance it just made the game feel like a bit of a dinosaur. And I play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat, the mother of obnoxious and ill-timed stutters, so I can live with a decent amount of technical problems.

Then for all people have to say about the game's branching questlines or intelligent story or whatever, it's still largely communicated by plastic mannequins with very bored voice acting who stare deep into your soul as they drone at you. If I played it again I also know I'd never side with the legion because I'm not literally hitler. The story and presentation feel like they're bored with you, and so do the controls and gameplay. I don't think it's an outright bad game but I had to overlook way too much to enjoy it for long once I played Skyrim.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Byzantine posted:

The Roman Empire, for all its brutality, was incredibly successful, safe, and pretty much the best time/place to live on Earth until the rise of modern medicine.

The Legion is not the Roman Empire, and that made me sad.

Didn't the romans have a population breakdown such that there were multiple slaves for every single actual citizen, meaning all the things people idolize about the roman empire didn't really apply to most of its people.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm ~6 hours into Alien Isolation and there's a lot of really good things about it. However I currently have over 40 revolver bullets along with a large number of flares, flashbangs, sound grenades, pipe bombs, molotovs, and EMP grenades. I'm pretty much carrying 50 kg of throwable items around.

If I use literally any of this even once the alien will show up within five seconds, no matter where it is (which doesn't mean much anyway because it teleports anytime you put down the motion tracker for a half second), instakilling me if I'm not rubbing my face under a desk already or just instakilling all the human enemies in the area anyway (making the item pointless). I have no idea why I have all of this poo poo, and even if I do use a single item a single time safely, it will result in another exciting 30 seconds spent sitting in a locker or under a desk waiting to be able to play the game again.

Maybe this changes at some point but I have no idea why I have all these options when they all functionally do the same thing which is "call the alien who just kills everything."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Which section of the game have you gotten up to? There's a surprising amount of variety, particularly in the second half of the game.

I just got back to samuels and taylor with the medical supplies, where you go through medsci and then have to repair the elevator on the way back.

Part of what's getting to me is it feels like I'm the only loving thing in the universe the alien cares about, because it does not matter if I just took an elevator up 10 stories or a tram across the entire station, I get 5 minutes at best (usually 0) before the thing is back and teleporting around me again in the new area. It will follow me from one end of the area to the other and back again but completely ignore everything else in the area. The 5-10 minutes I got in the part with the requisitions android where it actually went away until I completed the objective was the most refreshing thing that's happened so far.

There's a point where it stopped being tense and just became tiresome. It feels like playing against an AI in a strategy game that's coded to react to knowledge it shouldn't have, like knowing about units you're building in fog of war which it has never actually seen. Regardless of how little evidence I leave of my location it will always be within 30 meters of me and teleport the instant I drop the motion tracker, meaning I have to glue my face to it and never drop it (since the alien actually moves normally while you're tracking it) or just repeatedly check the tracker over and over again because the location it last displayed last isn't accurate, starting the instant you put it down. At one point it showed that the alien ran all the way off the screen in one direction, so I turned in the direct opposite direction and put the tracker down, and within 10 seconds when I next checked the tracker it was somehow in front of me over there.

It hasn't been really difficult to stay safe when I play how it apparently wants me to play, but it's getting pretty drat tedious. The graphics (lighting especially) are nothing short of fabulous, especially how well they're optimized, and the pacing and atmosphere have been great so far. I just can't see this gameplay holding up for another 5-10 hours or however long it is.

VVV just Normal

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Dec 28, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've kept going in Alien past when you get the flamethrower and while parts of it are way less frustrating than others, the flamethrower really does not do much to make it any better. You would think that after the alien gets repeatedly lit on fire for going after you that it would maybe care about something besides you in the entire universe and go after easier prey. But none of the alien's reactions imply "gently caress I'm on fire I should go find something else that does not make me be on fire." It just says "oh no the mean woman put me in timeout and I now must leave for the requisite 10 seconds but then immediately return because I know I am invincible."

There's nothing you can do to keep the thing from always staying within 30 meters of you at all times and magically knowing which room you're in, even if you leave no evidence at all that you've moved from one end of the area to the other. Then if you do have to use the flamethrower it will be back as if nothing had happened within the minute to waste more of your fuel. If the developers were trying to make this be the first time it feels like you can actually hurt the alien and show it's vulnerable or something, they pretty much created the opposite effect. I suspect the intention was more of a get out of jail free card when you're about to get ganked, but the alien's reactions to it just do not make sense.

I've reached the point where the alien gets launched into space on the lab and it's been the most refreshing thing in the game yet because I can actually make use of the other 80% of the game mechanics, which never surface when half of the experience is sitting in a locker while I check my phone in real life because there's nothing to do but wait.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Dec 30, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

melon cat posted:

The last time I remember seeing a dinosaur in a game was the first Tomb Raider, followed by Dino Crisis on the PSX. We are so overdue for a good dinosaur-themed survival horror/adventure videogame. But I think the videogame industry's more keen on producing more sequels to Assassin's Call of Creed.

There were actually several dinosaur indie games in recent years but all of them ended up being terribad I think. One of them is a kickstarter game that mysteriously stopped being updated after receiving the kickstarter money and without saying anything (don't remember if it ever came back or not), one of them was a really bad WWII shooter where the german side has dinosaur classes except the game was bad, one of them was a dinosaur shooter that flagrantly ripped off assets from Natural Selection 2 while claiming they were "just placeholder," etc...

I just checked and that last one is on steam for a single US dollar. That's not its sale price, that's its normal price :laffo:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've been playing Ziggurat recently which is a first person shooter roguelike-style game with a wizard theme, and it's similar to Binding of Isaac except way better than that game. It's very fast paced and generally about circle strafing around enemies while keeping your crosshair focused on them, not unlike Serious Sam but with more strafing than backpedaling.

However playing on hard mode is starting to show a lot of design problems sprinkled throughout. The game has a lot of enemies who get homing attacks, but because the game is first-person (unlike a schmup for example), you can't actually see the projectiles behind you and have no way of knowing if you're going to run into a bunch of them at once while dodging other attacks headed for your face. Sometimes a ton of homing projectiles will end up getting grouped together while looping around behind you, so they'll just alpha strike you out of nowhere and kill you from almost max health.

The game also likes to spawn enemies pretty much anywhere as long as they're more than a couple centimeters away from you, so it will spawn enemies behind you if you move forward in a room at all. There's no radar so just like with projectiles you can get hit from the back really easily, and sometimes the game spawns enemies with an arbitrarily buffed stat like speed, so if it spawns one with extra damage you can again get killed by an alpha strike you couldn't see coming. There can be enough shots flying at you just from the front that it's pretty much first person bullet hell, so taking a moment to spin around and make sure you aren't going to get ganked from behind is not always doable.

It also has random mutator effects that appear on some rooms, which can absolutely dick you over for no apparent benefit. For example one mutator makes the room be incredibly dark so you can only see a few meters in front of you, which is ridiculously difficult to deal with in a bullet hell-style game. Or just making enemies giant with 3x the health. There are beneficial mutators too but they don't keep a promising run from being ended because you got the darkness mutator and then it spawned a super-damage version of an already difficult enemy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elysiume posted:

A(nother) thing dragging Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate down: the inane damage system. Most weapons deal physical and elemental damage. You'd think that if you have e.g. 750 physical damage and 250 elemental damage, you'll deal roughly 25% of your damage from the element. Turns out that elemental damage is actually divided by 10 for some reason. It also turns out that every weapon class (longsword, hammer, etc.) has a hidden physical damage multiplier. So a 750/250 longsword is actually dealing 227/25, and a 750/250 hammer is actually dealing 144/25. Then there are some weapon types that have additional, extra damage multipliers, such as sword and shield dealing 6% bonus damage on cutting attacks.

And that's all ignoring that every monster has different physical and elemental resists for each body part. That parts not so bad, it's the ridiculous hidden multipliers on everything.

Monster Hunter Tri was the only MH game I played and I really enjoyed it but the amount of things like this you had to look up on the internet to have any idea what was going on was ridiculous. There's a huge amount of complexity to the game and it actually helps to understand it, but only maybe 10% of it is things you can actually pick up on by playing the game normally. That goes both for mechanics and just things like what each weapon upgrade leads to (you upgraded to the Fabulous Switchaxe H instead of the Fabulous Switchaxe R with almost identical stats? well now you're on an upgrade track to a worse weapon. get ruined)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

oneof3steves posted:

Either way I haven't managed to get into the game, but other people liking it seems to be a dumb reason to change your mind about it.

If other people are really obnoxious about something it can make it harder to enjoy whether you're really into it or not, because when you see it you're subconsciously reminded of those people and how annoying or weird they are. For example I really liked mass effect 2 when it first came out, enough to get a dumb screen name related to it. Then I looked around to see what other people thought of it, and holy poo poo there's a lot of creeps that are really weird about that series' characters, and it's a lot harder for me to enjoy the series for its characters now that I know somebody out their is masturbating over them.

It's similar to how some memes can be funny when you first see them and then the internet without fail collectively makes sure you'll hate them by the end of the year. Every single one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Most people are right handed. For a right-handed person, it's better to have left click be the more common action than right click because it's controlled by your index finger. Virtually all first person games put your viewmodel on the right side of the screen (because their characters are right handed, because most people are right handed) so it's become normal to have left click be your primary action for the thing on the right side of the screen. It's not just "convention," it came about because most people are right handed so it makes the most sense for them. Obviously alternate options for left handed people would be good, but this isn't a case where one way is objectively better and every developer is an idiot for picking the Wrong Way To Do Things.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Speaking of game options dragging this game down:

Can developers hold some sort of international summit and decide once and for all where the gently caress to put the subtitle button? I don't care is it's under gameplay, graphics, or sound, just find a place to put it and keep it there.

It's annoying enough that it's never on by default, but I'm picking my battles here.

This is a little bit like finding where the saves are stored on a PC game. Is it in Documents? Some random hidden folder in .appdata behind piles of folders with gibberish names? Actually in the steamapps data for the game next to the executable because that makes sense? A folder created for the publisher in Documents that is then never actually used for any of their other games?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This doesn't really drag any games down but a pet peeve of mine is dumb loading screen messages. Very often they don't consider context at all which leads to some really stupid combinations. Others have useful information that isn't communicated anywhere else in the game, but that might not actually end up randomly showing up on a loading screen until you're two-thirds of the way through the game.

The most recent example that comes to mind is "the alien is not the only threat on the station!" :downs: in Alien Isolation, immediately after being throttled to death by creepy mannequin robots.

Byzantine posted:

Why would you go on facebook while playing a game, though?

In the Evolve beta that just happened there's about 5 minutes of downtime between games for various reasons. I frequently found myself alt-tabbing and would have loved the game not to hate this (if I alt-tabbed back while it was in the next loading screen, the resolution would get dropped to something close to the minimum with no way to change it without leaving the lobby). In Alien Isolation a lot of the riveting gameplay involves sitting in a hiding spot for a minute while you wait for the alien to go away, then using the terminal in the room you need to get to for 5 seconds before it comes back, then sitting in a hiding spot for a minute while you wait for the alien to go away. I found myself checking my phone more than once in some parts of that game and could just as well have been checking out some dank memes. Or sometimes I chat on facebook while having a game on that doesn't need my full attention, frequently alt tabbing. There are many reasons why being able to alt-tab without the game loving out is good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've beaten ziggurat 12 times and have only seen two endings, and one of them only happened a single time. How many possibilities are there?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In Oblivion it was nearly impossible not to be some kind of horrible fish man without installing the 3.5GB waifu face modpack, so it was best to just roll with it and accept your appallingly disfigured fate.

In Skyrim it's actually a lot more difficult to be a fish mutant, to the point where you have to try to make it happen. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

It would be amazing if at the beginning of every nintendo game you could go into the options from the word start and click "I've played every Zelda/Mario/Pokemon since their inception, I'm good" button and the game just cuts out all the tutorials.

But then you would be cutting out half the game.

Austrian mook posted:

Comparing pretty much anything to TTYD isn't going to be fair though. That game is literally perfect.

TTYD has several chapters that are over 50% backtracking (the superspooky chapter comes to mind, in which you have to backtrack back across the forest no less than 4 times).

It's fabulous your first time but I did not find it easy to replay. The second (and to some extent the third) chapter is very boring once you've played the game before, and then you have the turbo backtracking chapter to look forward to right after that if I'm remembering the order right. Of course it's still miles ahead of super paper mario. God what a disappointment that game was by comparison. Whether you judge it as an action game or as a paper mario game it's just dumb.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

It's in beta so maybe it'll change by release, but it sort of bugs me that you can't pick your team in Battlefield: Hardline. I didn't mind not being able to in 3 and 4 since all teams played pretty much the same, with the CoD4-style thing where guns weren't locked to a particular team and both team's objectives were pretty much identical, but Hardline's gone back to having different guns locked in to different teams. Not only that, but with the new Heist mode, cops and criminals actually play pretty differently, with one side trying to break into a bank and steal a package while the other just tries to kill them before they can. It'd be nice to be able to pick the side that actually uses the new gun I just bought, or be able to choose to play as the robbers just because I think their objective is more fun.

Also, Heist mode is pretty badly balanced, with the cops being able to send the loot all the way back to the vault just by standing near it for a few seconds so the criminals never win, but that's what beta is for, I guess.

You can choose your team as long as it won't stack the other team, you just can't pick which one you'll join the server on. Go to the Team tab at the top where you choose what squad to be in, there's a Switch Teams button on the bottom left. Also I found that the game would let me use weapons on the wrong team if I just tried twice (in battlelog it still let me equip a robbers-only weapon on cops for example, and it would revert it to the default cops weapon for one game but then if I did it again I could use the weapon on either team. Battlefield!)

I will be amazed if they ever make heist not be a mess though. It's like the worst parts of Rush mode combined with call of duty gameplay.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Another one from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate , sometimes the monsters will stand actually outside of the area. So if I try to get close enough to attack them, I'll actually travel to the next area instead of getting close. Some monsters, like the lagiacrus and the pink rathian, seem to do this a lot more than others. Also, sometimes when I am following a monster to a different area, the monster will leave the current area before I do, but when I enter the next one, it will be behind me and have the chance to hit me as soon as I enter.

I have many good (not good) memories of multiplayer hunts in monster hunter tri in which someone would enter a zone the exact time a monster would attack there, slapping them back into the other zone as if to tell them to gently caress off so they could just fight the rest of us in peace.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yall I'm playing transistor right now please don't ruin it for me ok.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In bastion the moral of the story is that everyone just wants to genocide everyone, which you learn while genociding everyone.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

As someone who's put more time into borderlands 2 than any other game I'm so disappointed every time I see someone mention the pre sequel. The best I've heard said about it is "maybe it's ok?" And considering how much less of a jump from BL2 to the presequel it is compared to BL1 to BL2, I don't know how they managed to screw up so much.

I'm not sure if I'll get it on a sale and see if it has any redeeming value or just accept that borderlands has gone the way of almost everything else gearbox has made.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is it actually resistance to every element or just making the elements more polarized (more damage to the right kind of health and less to everything else)? In BL2 the second playthrough made the elements stronger when matched correctly but weaker when not, then in the third playthrough they just quadrupled everything's HP because they have no loving clue what is a good way to make a game challenging.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So that happens even on fire vs. health or electricity vs. shields, etc? What the gently caress?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I also really dislike how fast you die in almost every single FPS these days. All the guns are samey and usually only with like a 5-15% variation in dmg or rate of fire and they all kill you in half a second or just instantly if its a headshot.

It promotes twitchskills and I'm personally good at that but its also not as fun imo. I wish shooters would start doing larger healthpools again

DStecks posted:

Hello, Battlefield 4! Why yes, I'd love to wander through your enormous maps for 3 full minutes looking for the action before suddenly dying to some rear end in a top hat 100ft away I could never have seen!

This is one of my biggest problems with battlefield after bad company 2. They wanted to make BF3 more like call of duty so everyone just dies instantly, turning the game into a grinder of shooting people in the back until someone shoots you in the back. If you have a head-on "fight" it amounts to someone popping up in front of you for a tenth of a second and then one of you falls down dead. Repeat for the duration of the round. This has carried through to battlefield hardline so I'm probably done with that series. So disappointing after battlefield 2142 and bad company 2 were incredible.

The games before that did have the same issue though--in 1942 it would be snipers one shotting you from a mile away and in BF2 it would be omnipotent aircraft (the single worst thing about that game).

VVV http://imgur.com/gallery/3wIlg

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Feb 15, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Bee posted:

no actual mechanics beyond "use your things on all these other things."

To be fair, a lot of games can be distilled down to this if you want to get really abstract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't understand destiny, tons of people play it and the things I see of the gameplay make it look like something I'd enjoy (if it were on PC) because I like borderlands and such. But I have literally never heard anyone say anything good about it above "it's decent I guess." Are there really that many people that play it and still think it's just sort of mediocre?