Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

alcharagia posted:

So I was really enjoying Drakengard 3 and then I got to the final boss and gently caress.

please tell me it's Surprise Rhythm Game pt. 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Ehhh. I think it had a lot to do with the story. No longer are we a rookie team doing the bidding of a spectre. Shepard DIED and everyone didn't know what to do, the Collectors are destabilizing the galaxy, and the council is in flux. I think it does a good job of driving home the feeling that things are not well, and even though Shepard is on the case, it isn't getting better any time soon.

That is part of what I think drags down 3. I feel like they got the atmosphere right. Things are BAD. But...I just feel like a lot of it is rushed along. The game could have been a lot longer and I seriously wouldn't have minded. I felt like they built up this rich universe where you get to see the Asari homeworld, the Krogan homeworld...but you're only there for like ten minutes each. Bah.

That and the ending.

the mass effect franchise was basically dead in the water the second they had shepard die and come back to life

RBA Starblade posted:

The worst change in ME2 is they took out the synth-riff heavy soundtrack and replaced it with more generic orchestral stuff.

truest post ever made on this forum

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I mean Suicide Mission is a decent track but nothing else even comes close to like 90% of the music in 1

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

Say what you will about execution, DA2's story of "hero is terrible at being a hero and brings down the lives of every companion they meet while simultaneously directly causing no less than two major crises" is infinitely more interesting than DA:O's "there is a big dragon!!" I'm not a super big overhead-tactics WRPG person so DA:O didn't really engage me on that front either, and while DA2 wasn't a particularly great action/tactics hybrid, the story at least kept me awake long enough to enjoy it.

man, if only they knew they were writing that story when they were actually making the game

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

lol if you think the game ever portrays Hawke as anything other than a superpowered fuckup.

i guess i didn't notice when they were giving me my own mansion and calling me the Champion and telling me how amazing i am

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

Good thing you alienate everyone and screw the pooch repeatedly in the main quest to make up for it!

Serious post: While you still get the typical "what a hero!" kind of stuff thrown in I feel like DA2 at least tried to make you feel like you weren't infallible as the protagonist and that instead of saving the day by the end of the game you've just made everything and objectively worse. The Friendship/Rivalry thing was a step in the right direction but the Friendship part should have been lopped off entirely and every party member should just be following you around until they get what they want out of you and leave at the most inopportune time. Unfortunately this was not a bold enough game to go all the way with it, and I'll never try to defend the game mechanically, but at least it was trying to be something at least a little bit more nuanced than the mindbogglingly generic So Epic schtick that DA:O had going for it, even if the execution of it was pretty poor.

At the very least, Awakening was pretty neat and it looks like Inquisition is also going to be neat in the same way, so that's good at least.

even if intentional, the story of Dragon Age 2 is still utter poo poo as a video game story, somehow even worse than Dragon Age Origins which is an astonishingly low bar

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Just listen to a different station for a while, they're all great

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alteisen posted:

The final boss of Drakengard 3, ending D is the dumbest loving thing ever.

Its a rhythm game, except you can't miss at all and the perspective shifts in the most retarded ways, its pure fake difficulty bullshit.

It's literally Drakengard 1 Final Boss Part 2 and it's amazing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

I liked Syndicate 2012 when I was still a part of the megacorporation running around delivering justice on the other lesser corps and innocent bystanders. Then they were like "nope. can't have you be a jackbooted thug forever" and you of course turn on your megacorp.

You are why video games are poo poo and will stay poo poo forever

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I dunno, I haven't played Syndicate 2012, but I know I'm getting loving tired of video games throwing a betrayal into the second half or third act. For a while it felt like that was literally the only way video games knew how to change things up or raise the stakes. It was so bad that I specifically remember liking that Deus Ex Human Revolution didn't do that, despite being right in the middle of the trend and having ample opportunity to do so.

Eurocorp doesn't betray you, you betray Eurocorp.

Because they're an awful, reprehensible corporation.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

Um...isn't that the point? In the original Syndicate you played the thugs trying to make Eurocorp The Megacorp. Did you expect that to change for the FPS sequel?

I have Shadowrun Returns for fighting the megacorps. I thought Syndicate would let me be the megacorps thugs. Apparently not.

I'm sorry you can't grasp a simple cyberpunk story and instead cry when it says "hey maybe this is actually bad"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

1stGear posted:

This is a tremendous amount of irony in the idea that a 'punk genre story needs to conform to a specific set of story beats.

There's actually no irony here at all and if you understood anything about the genre you'd know that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

No see, I'm a bad person because I thought I was buying "Megacorporation Thug Simulator 2012" instead of "Generic Cyberpunk Plot 2012"

Yes actually you are, if you bought Syndicate thinking you were going to be a Eurocorp Agent the entire time, you are a lovely person, I completely unironically believe that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I guess I just don't understand why you're freaking out so hard at the idea that someone might enjoy playing the bad guy in a video game. Do you go ballistic when people play Grand Theft Auto, too?

There is a sharp moral difference between playing a common criminal and playing what is essentially the futuristic version of the paramilitary groups paid by Coca Cola to massacre South American workers seeking unionization.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's a very silly part of the book but I find that if someone gets mad about it, they're probably taking their zombie media far too seriously to begin with. this is the same book that has the turning point of the US Army's Last Stand against the zombies that they start blasting Iron Maiden's The Trooper over the loudspeakers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"It felt really out of place when, expecting that I can take sides, I took a side and the game didn't stop me wtf was that about."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brainbread posted:

I mean, like, actually getting a story out of it. I don't think, "I pick the bad guy side oops looks like I am done" fits in with the over all feel of New Vegas - where they think of many ways that people can go about completing quests.

were you also upset you couldn't side with the Ghost People in Dead Money

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hello my goon friends i am prepared to give you my opinion on [THING], and you may wanna take a breath because it's gonna be

controversial

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you're right, why don't they focus on the good parts of the rapemeisters

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

in NCAA Football 2014, you can play a football game between colleges in the America, but why would you play a video game of something you can just go outside and do with your friends?????? this is video games not real life sports ball games get with it EA

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's almost like it was set up by an insane cosplayer with brain cancer who just read the military parts

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lotish posted:

I remember getting the Persona 4 fighting game and being gob smacked by how long it takes to get to the fighting when you start story mode. I know it's 'story mode" but story mode in most arcade games is done in one or two screens between fights, not fifteen minutes of voiced cutscenes. Even hitting the handy fast forward button you might have to sit there for a full minute for the fighting to start.

the Persona 4 Arena story mode is actually meant to be a full-on story, the fights are almost entirely ancillary and last for a single round with the difficulty turned way down. If you actually wanna fight you play Arcade mode.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

That just reminds me of a stupid thing from Borderlands 2. Namely how early in the game they give you a mission where you get to try out an energy weapon and then you don't see one for who knows how long. I sure don't because I never saw one the rest of the time I played the game, now I didn't finish it but I got pretty drat far.

strange because i was tripping over the drat things, which was unfortunate because I didn't find them terribly useful

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kalos posted:

This is actually an issue that Bioware has had in almost every single one of their games: If you don't make your character a Rogue (or the setting equivalent) then you're forced to carry around whatever one they give you.

I think Mass Effect is the only exception, because locks are determined by minigames.

In Mass Effect 1 locks were determined by your Decryption or Electronics skill so you need someone with either/both of those skills at high level to be able to unlock them

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

I had trouble with the air shot. I actually had to reset the tutorial because I ran out of points. The game seems neat and stylish but I sent it back to Gamefly pretty quick. Because it felt like it was going to get stale really quick.

the most important part of Resonance of Fate is the fashion and that never gets stale

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

dynasty warriors 8 you're fuckin rad but your story mode stages are really fuckin long sometimes and lack any form of checkpoints so if you eat an unlucky musou attack from the wrong officer you're starting RIGHT BACK FROM THE START unless you made an interim save

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

Except if a fighting game didn't have a plot there would be people on the internet bitching about it being completely plotless. There's no real way to win.

Virtua Fighter 5 is as close as you can be to plotless and it's the best fighting game

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

In Pokemon (in general), you still can't just swap Pokemon between your party and a box. Depositing and withdrawing are two separate PC functions, so you have to deposit one of your party Pokemon, back out of the depositing screen, go forward into the withdrawing screen, then withdraw the Pokemon you want. This game franchise is 19 years old, and as far as I can tell, this is the only way it has not improved.

below Deposit and Withdraw, there's the Move Pokemon command, that is both functions at once and is essentially how the box should have worked to begin with. Why is it the third option? no fuckin clue

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

They already did the "skirt made entirely of belts" so I'd imagine this can't be far behind. The best part is cosplayers trying to recreate it and finding out that wearing so many belts is really loving heavy.

Her skirt was made entirely of belts because Nomura wanted to test the modelers to see if they could get the exact arrangement and layout of the belts exactly right each time. In response, the modelers took every opportunity they could to not show her from the waist down during pre-rendered CGI cutscenes.

because the healthiest working relationship is one built out of pissing contests and spite

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spek posted:

I've heard this story many times but it really doesn't make sense. You don't build a new model for every scene so getting the belts right is still only something you do once, twice if you count the gameplay and cutscene models but the gameplay one is probably based on the cutscene one.

you do when it's pre-rendered CGI

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's called "hit the escape key and end the conversation you loving nerd"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pros: good graphics, solid gameplay, enjoyable writing

cons: doesn't remind me of when i was 12

4/10

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

all you had to do was follow the train

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Yeup, I've basically tried every fix in every forum about Pillars to no avail. It really sucks because I want to enjoy this game, I really want to get my $50 worth of crpg goodness out of it but it just won't let me. When it does run it lags like crazy and then just freezes and crashes every 5-10 minutes at most. Apparently it's trying to pull something like 2-3gigs of ram just to move across the map. :wtc:

get a computer not made in 2002

Austrian mook posted:

"Metal gear rising this ain't"

Except its got a way, way better combat system than rising. Hell, rising has the worst combat system out of all of Platinums recent games. Im tired of listening to idiots who dont know what theyre talking about on this goddamn forum.

im hopping mad about all these video game men!!!!!!!!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Funny, i disagree with you so i have ti hate all games. I like Rising a lot im just not a child who doesn't realize that the base combat gets extremely monotonous considering there's no weapon switching or many enemy types. If you weren't a blithering moron you'd have been able to figure that out for yourself. Comparing Dark Souls combat to Rising combat is pretty hilariously stupid, and genuinely the dumbest thing I've read on this hack site in months.

look at these clowns. they don't even know real video games. what a bunch of clowny clowns.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i lay in the piss, letting it soak into my skin giving it a piss tinge that will forever mark me as a scrub

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chard posted:

please go on :jackbud:

i can't say whos piss this is, but i can say as a doctor they need to drink more water

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SiKboy posted:

I'm faintly suprised to find thats even possible to be honest. Its probably because in fallout type games I'm an inveterate packrat with sidequest OCD, but I always thought it was something letting down NV slightly; They put so much effort into giving you options to get into the city of NV (cash, robotics check, get a passport from the kings, take the monorail from the NCR camp and possibly one other I'm forgetting) but 99% of players will never see any of them because the cash amount is set so low you can just pay it and move on. Worst case you sell some of the 2 tonnes of vendor trash you have been accumulating then pay it. I've played that game through at least 3 times and the only times I've not paid it was because I decided I wanted to see some of that other material rather than because I couldnt pay it.

you can also just get a forged pass from Mick & Ralph's

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i have played fallout new vegas for far more hours than should be allowed by law and have never had a problem with invisible walls, what the gently caress are you weirdoes trying to accomplish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Goodsprings to Novac, straight over the ridge, bypassing Primm, Nipton and the blind deathclaw in Primm Pass. There's an invisible wall on that route that tries to force you either south into Primm Pass or north into...I don't remember what poo poo you had to deal with if you tried to go north around it, but I'm guessing it was cazadores or deathclaws. You can get literally to the peak of the ridge...and then the game won't let you go down the other side.

is this that sequence breaking poo poo i keep hearing so much about, i never understood that