Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Verdugo posted:

One of the handheld Castlevanias (Aria I think) had one... And you needed to solve it like eight different ways because each solution led to a different room (and all those rooms had stuff! So of course you had to solve them all.)

Worst mechanic ever in a pretty good game.

It was Dawn, and it was a 4x4 puzzle on top of it. So stupid, I hated that. The loot in there was really good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Last Celebration posted:

Elden Ring kinda makes it glaring how silly that whole system of using finite use gemstones to modify affinities is, like I’m pretty sure you can farm for more of them so you can’t ever really run out but also why even make the player do that when you’re already gated by coals and need good stats to make the sharp/heavy/quality infusions worthwhile?

I guess complaining is a moot point because they learned their lesson at least.

I mean Elden Ring is still bizarrely stuck in the past in certain aspects. From love their old-rear end RPG gameplay conventions from when that genre was hostile as gently caress. No, there’s no sensible reason why almost anything is a finite consumable because they already solved the problem by introducing estus flasks, so the idea of refreshing at checkpoints already came to mind. Doesn’t matter, you gotta find it and use it on the thing you want. Yeah you used it wrong? gently caress you, start over idiot!

But then they also modernize some aspects so you get the mix-and-match infusions and weapon arts on basic weapons and that poo poo is cool as hell. And at no cost to the player! It’s fun!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ilmucche posted:

Monster train is pretty fun but it does have the thing that I don't like with unlocking new stuff, that the pool gets too diluted.

Only played it for a few days so maybe it'll be fine. The game is pretty good and trying to find synergies for each faction is enjoyable.

What killed me is how many of the difficulty levels just add more bullshit garbage to your starting deck. Really made the first few encounters a tedious drag when your deck is like 27 cards at the start and only five are worth drawing.

Especially because it’s not actually a well made card game so simple engine enablers like “draw 3 cards for 1 energy” don’t exist. Or at least didn’t, I haven’t played since before the DLC.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah the whole game was like that. It’s so hard to do anything interesting because the cool part (summoning big monsters and casting spells) was gated by a very poorly executed deck builder.

It still remains one of the best Slay the Spire trend chasers because that genre is dire. Turns out making a good card game is tough. Slay the Spire rules though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I really enjoy the concept and meta narrative stuff of Inscryption but the actual card game is boring as poo poo.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How bad is the scaling in the last third supposed to be? Some posters say there's a 60 vitality tax here, like the 25 adaptability tax in Dark Souls 2.

Not 60, I’ve found that 40 is fine and more than that is added comfort. You usually max out any meaningful attributes somewhere in the final quarter so you may as well keep pumping vit.

Every point up to 40 is worth more and more HP, from 41-60 you get about half of what you got at 40 iirc (which is still decent) and after 60 there’s not much value. So 40 is a really impactful breakpoint, 60 less so but it’s still a decent chunk more. The thing is enemies hit so loving hard in the final zones that 5 or 10 more vit may not buy you any extra hits.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

You got stuck at the bridge, huh?

That bridge sucks rear end though lol, enemies that spawn out of thin air and act instantly rather than last in the turn order like the rest of the game is some trash.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

John Murdoch posted:

And I think Deep Rock Galactic might stray that way too? Just a whole lot of "haha the joke is future hell corporations don't care if you live or die" which is basically a Portal joke except with all of the humor replaced with crushing, pitch black reality.

DRG kinda has that as the set dressing but considering the gameplay loop is a mine where you also frag giant hell spiders it wouldn’t be appropriate not to frame it that way, right?

DRG isn’t trying to make a point about capitalism anyway. It’s mostly just to compel you to grind more minerals and cash so you can buy stuff because that gameplay loop is fun.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Got the Hitman Trilogy on sale and will probably lament a single-player game needing an online mode to track progress.

Notably its only sixty gigs in size, despite containing three AAA games worth of content. With that in mind what's Call of Duty's excuse?

Yeah the always online aspect is stupid as hell but you won’t mind because Modern Hitman is so insanely good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
One of the reasons that Malenia is such a dogshit fight is that she’s a normal sized lady with a sword yet most of her attacks are unparryable and you have to get three consecutive parries to actually elicit a stun. That is a mechanic that I think has never existed in a DS game before. So fuckin stupid. Parrying in DS games is cool as hell but trying to learn it as a tactic is the game spitting in your face over and over.

eta also she does absurd damage and heals when she hits you even if you fully block the damage. Despite seeming like a boss that would reward this very risky mechanic it very much punishes it instead.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DontMockMySmock posted:

A friend of mine has been getting into a multiplayer co-op Slay the Spire clone called "Across the Obelisk," and insisted that I give it a try. It's an incredibly unoriginal game. The design/worldbuilding aesthetic is "2d world of warcraft" (roughly the same writing quality, too) but without any charm, and the mechanics are 90% cribbed from STS (but with multiple characters in co-op) with a dash of ideas borrowed from other STS clones and fantasy rpgs. And if that were all, I'd still probably enjoy playing it with that friend - the STS formula is solid enough that I could enjoy a lovely knockoff version. But the one thing that I came here to complain about is the one thing it SHOULD have copied from STS, and that's the interface. The outside-of-battle interfaces are all a bit more complicated than they need to be, with the result being that you must click more times on various precise buttons. And in battle, there are no good hotkeys like in STS - you must click each card, then click the target, individually, moving your mouse back and forth and clicking precisely. These things result in a game that's very wrist-intensive, and it takes less than a full game for it to become physically painful to play for me. My wrist lasts longer playing mouse-heavy action games like FPSs or action-RPGs than it does playing this turn-based piece of poo poo.

The amount of precision and attention to every fine detail that went into every aspect of Slay the Spire is so apparent when you play any of the knockoffs, including the allegedly better ones like Monster Train.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DontMockMySmock posted:

absolutely. Monster Train seemed cool and interesting at first (apart from the absolute dogshit visual design, imo) but it ended up being strategically very, very shallow compared to STS.

Monster Train is an interesting experiment of a deck builder with no mechanics that interact with the deck. Cards that draw other cards? Not in this one.

And also like 15 of the 25 ascension levels add trash to your starting deck.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Elden Ring is good as hell actually because they made miracles metal as gently caress and it rules.

DS3 is trash though. You want to talk about fatigue, I couldn’t bring myself to play 3’s DLCs because it’s so brazen about stomping my balls into the dirt.

e: Elden Ring is also good because for once their post-launch support has been making the game more accessible and with player buffs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Malenia also can’t be conventionally parried despite being an approximately human sized enemy with a sword. She also heals when you block her attacks even if she doesn’t do damage. She’s just a stupid boss.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

BirdOfPlay posted:

Ulcerated Tree Spirits are the best cyrpt boss

Coolest part about them is they straight up noclip out of enclosed arenas when doing some attacks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sally posted:

yo for someone who only ever played Tales of Phantasia... what's the best more modern game to get into? i see the sale... wonder if i should get like, Symphonia? Berseria? i dunno too many to choose and my only frame of reference is the SNES game.

are they even related in any way?

Berseria is the only good one in the context of 2022.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You can avoid allowing your opponent to force a draw by repetition by moving a different piece instead. It’s a well understood rule in modern chess that you can pay attention to and avoid falling into.

e: also yes chess is a game with a lot of draws.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they call it thta because it has bonfires, estus flasks, dodge rolls, and titanite
the core gameplay isn't really that similar but it's definitely taking influences

It’s like 60/40 Resident Evil 4 and Dark Souls.

Remnant fuckin rules, although it’s pretty easy since it’s a Dark Souls game where you have an arsenal of powerful guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Len posted:

It's got some rough bits but overall game was a blast and I'm stoked for remnant 2 Bloodborne edition

Is chronos worth grabbing in a sale?

Absolutely not, it’s very bland sword and board.