Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

supergayboy posted:

I've been playing through Borderlands 2, after playing through the first one many times years and years ago. I overall enjoy playing the game and everything, but the whole thing is just surrounded by stuff bringing it down

The initial area (up until you take the ship) is hard coded to only drop trash gear (white and some greens), only the bosses have a chance of dropping legendaries. The drop rates in the rest of the game are still not great, but they did apparently boost them in hotfixes. But there's a reason the loot table mods have been so popular through the entire game's history.

Guns are not very balanced, it's true. Some weapon types are bad, some manufacturers are way better at a certain gun type than the others, and some manufacturers are pure trash overall. It also depends on what character you're playing to some extent, but luckily in a normal mode playthrough you may notice there's an imbalance, but it's not a crippling issue. It becomes a huge problem in the later difficulty modes when enemy scaling goes through the roof, so you want certain guns/gun types and talents, and everything else is garbage that makes the experience miserable until you get a new/updated good gun(TM) again.

And yeah they hosed up scaling pretty good. To be honest I probably wouldn't have kept playing after normal mode if it wasn't for gibbed's save editor where you can just edit your character and level up your favourite guns (or experiment with new ones) directly whenever RNG and the level scaling was loving you over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

FF14: Gearing up after not being on for a while is loving poo poo. Namely weapons, as the dungeons don't drop weapons, only accessories and armor. Here are the options:

Getting 1k tomes, earned by running dungeons, and then running an old raid 4 times. This seems to be the quickest option. E: I should note though that this isn't even for a current weapon, this is for an older weapon. For a current weapon he would need to wait 3 weeks to get 1k of the tomes that cap out per week, and then run the current raid for 8 weeks to get all the tokens from that.

Grinding eureka, which loving SUCKS. It will take him like a month to get the relic, especially now when not many people run it anymore.

Crafted gear, either paying a lot of gil he doesn't have for a weapon or having me put in the time and money to deal with overmelding and hard to get materials to craft one for him

Running extreme version of primals that requires getting 7 other people together who can manage to clear it 10 times and not just disband after the first run.

They really couldn't just throw a few weapons in the dungeon loot? I'm pretty sure they did for Heavensward dungeons.

No, the HW post-release dungeons never had weapons either and it's moronic.

Weapons upgrades requiring all the jumping through hoops you describe is the number one reason why I think people saying "FF14 has great catchup systems" must be comparing the game to hellhole MMOs where weapons are even more ~special~ and require more grinding/time. Catching up is great if you were only slightly behind the curve and have been playing all the relevant "casual" content in the meantime. Someone who missed half a patch cycle+ basically needs to get crafted gear.

Oh you can also have your friend farm Heaven on High :suicide:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What is ROM?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Lavender posted:

It's been so long since I've played, but I feel like unlocking Critical Strikes was helpful, because pressing attack at the right time yields 2 combo points instead of one. So you can use that as a tool to figure out the timing. But it's been a while...

I'm playing Persona 5 lately, and the constant messages that I can't record video or take pics is really irritating. I'm gathering I can turn those off; but it's really stupid that the game keeps barking at me about it. It's like being on a elevator, and every floor a voice says, "No making GBS threads on the elevator".

It's hilariously stupid that those restrictions are still there over a year later. I can't even take screenshots for myself because they thought it was a great solution to keep spoilers of their precious anime plot out of the internets (I'm sure nobody took phone pictures/videos :haw:)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Ya the giant sidequest hub is a little baffling, I don't know if they want me to do all of this stuff or if it will make me stupidly overpowered or both. Even the knife upgrade is optional to buy - so there's an absurd amount of stuff you could conceivably skip entirely. And that's the SECOND sidequest hub after a smaller but still pretty large modern-ish town!

What I find immediately obvious in pacing issues is that I could already have pretty much all the combat upgrades if I chose to focus on them, like poison arrows, traps, lures, flare ammo, stringing up dudes on trees even better, the good ol' broken triple headshot extravaganza, but...there are no fights?!?!
If I do all the challenge tombs, crypts, regular challenges, digging for things, learning languages etc., that's all just exploration, platforming and puzzles. It's great, but...the game wants to focus on combat a lot, judging from the systems it has, but it just never really happened so far.

I'm playing it with my wife and we're sadly separated by a country or two again, so we didn't get farther than a little after Paititi, so I don't know if the pacing just picks up now and it becomes an action-fest like the last one did with fight-jumping-fight-puzzle-fight, but that was really weird. Also I'm super glad for my wife going "so...are we gonna just dick around in Paititi for another play session?" and I was like "haha no I'd never do that and search for every optional poo poo thing!!! Let's go on with the mainquest love!!!!!" *totally would have done that on my own and gotten sick of the game*

Haha no. I hope you really like Paititi though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

gently caress. :(

Also Lara's outfit she starts with in the prologue is so much cooler than the tactical adventurer's clothes. But that's just me.
It was really cool that you're not even allowed to wear modern clothes while spending way too much time in Paititi :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pre-seeding is pointless though because you can just do "negative save-scumming" or whatever you want to call it - if you know your 75% chance ability will miss the first time, try all the different actions because you know the 75% chance is actually 0% for that game state.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

I haven't played Odyssey yet, but are they still doing the extremely basic "You're playing an Abstergo game" metafictional wrapper or have they even ditched that? I assume there's no actual present day gameplay anymore.

Actually there is, like in Origins there are few sequences in which you play the woman who uses a portable Animus to relive history and find alien stuff. I think since Origins she and her team went rogue and Abstergo is chasing them?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

Thanks for the Odyssey info.

I would unironically slam down a pre-order if that happened with realistic dinosaurs.

Pretend I posted a screenshot from Trespasser here :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bethesda Fallout games really only work if you assume everyone is lying about "200 years after the bombs fell" and it was in fact just a few days to a few months ago.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's not what is not going to drag the game down because combat is easy even with just the bow and more importantly, it's very rare in this game and will mostly involve stealth-shanking guys while hiding in foliage/grass with mud in your face.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

It's annoying when you're just checking something on the highlight vision and she keeps repeating herself.

This is my #1 reason to turn puzzle difficulty to hard.

Maybe if modern games didn't make me want to hit Batman vision constantly...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fall damage makes sense if you want to control where the player can go without invisible walls. That includes forcing them down a safe path or giving them alternatives that are more limited than downright "jump off anything, any height, unharmed" or even flying.

In MMOs/open world RPGs eg. you might want the player to commit to fights instead of circumventing dangerous areas by jumping down a 100 m cliff - so you can keep fall damage, but give players a way to temporarily suspend it (Guild Wars 2's gliders in the first expansion) or let them survive all falls unless they have aggro (Final Fantasy 14). And in mostly linear action adventures like Uncharted you get to specify the path the player has to take for cutscenes/setpieces to trigger, and they won't get stuck in geometry they weren't supposed to land on in the first place (the latter is still hard enough, apparently :v:).

It doesn't really make sense in an open world game with lots of (optional) vertical movement where having fall damage means nothing but annoyance because you have to slowly and carefully climb back down from every mountain. And it certainly doesn't make sense to tune it so your superpowered video game hero dies to every 3 m/10 ft drop.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

that's because ME3 tossed out everything that made the geth interesting to begin with

the choice in ME2 isn't presented as "brainwashing" because the geth's concept of sapience doesn't work that way - as legion states, it's not the difference between 2 + 2 = 4 and 2 + 2 = 5, but the difference between 2 + 2 = 4 and 1 + 3 = 4. both shepard and the player are uncomfortable with the idea of a massive ideological difference boiling down to a rounding error, but that's the hurdle they have to undertake when interacting with the geth

then ME3 came along and stripped all that away in favor of a generic pinocchio syndrome

Nonsense, Mass Effect has always and exclusively been about creator vs. created and you just don't get it.
:goonsay:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

I played Uncharted Lost Legacy immediately after finishing Sekiro, which made it really off-putting how much the game basically prods and pokes you right the way through it.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider nails that formula much better imo.

That's funny because I thought Lost Legacy in particular did basically everything better than the last TR reboots.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can grind to overcome the bigger hurdles in the roguelite Prey: Mooncrash, in fact you get an achievement for maxing out every character's skill-tree. But if you make the mistake of other players by hitting the ending then you get locked out of playing anymore on that save file. This makes 6 of the 10 achievements missable for no reason.

I like about 90% of what they did with Mooncrash but the entire roguelite aspect turns me off completely.

It's too bad there's no exploration mode (or whatever you want to call it).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

Blade went from being a snarky dude throughout SiN and then is almost completely silent throughout SiN Episodes.
The one episode anyway, before the entire studio switched to making casual games :v:

The censored version massively dragged the original SiN down, especially when you get to the mutant factory. It's just boxes on little carts driving through the factory. gently caress you Germany. At least that was easily fixed in some .cfg file IIRC.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fallout 4: After you turn Kellogg's brain into cornflakes there's a bit where you roam around his cyborg memory-bank in search of the next thread of plot. Kellogg narrates his own memories as you explore them and he happens to refer to two separate characters as "the Old Man". The only reason he does this is to poorly conceal a twist everyone saw coming in a manner that is blatantly cheating. It'd be like if the narrator of Fight Club had a business-card he shows to everybody, only his fingers cover his name every time we see it.
Heavy Rain is even better at this "downright cheating to hide an oh-so-clever twist" thing :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's not the setting that has limited possibilities, it's Bethesda not doing anything with it but rehash the same premise. It's not going to get more interesting by using the same enemies and factions with a "it's x years later but still always looks and plays and feels the exact same" plot, that's not the setting's fault.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

This is naive. I guarantee any concept art that gets passed around Bethesda for approval that doesn't look bombed out gets rejected for "not having that Fallout look."

Well, you're not wrong, but it does raise interesting questions of how marketable and interesting the Fallout systems would be once you mutate from "wasteland survival" to essentially a political simulator where you're playing a diplomat who is also a sociopath because "video game."
I like to think there are other interesting stories they could tell within a "post-nuclear wasteland survival" framework that keeps some but not all recognizable elements of previous Fallout titles, without falling back to the exact same plot points, factions and monsters every single time. In that regard I think the FO4 plot wasn't a total failure as a concept, because it introduced a new local leadership and a plot that actually focused on rebuilding for a while, especially with the Minutemen and settlements. And then they ruined it all by making the entire plot a big pile of poo poo with the Institute as an Enclave reskin with the Railroad as rebel forces, of course the BoS has to be there too and OH NO MY SON.

You can have survival that's not stumbling over skeletons of people killed by the nuclear bombs while raiding pre-war fridges, and a post-apocalyptic society that feels alien to survivors doesn't have to be the BoS, some form of the Enclave, cannibalistic raiders and HEV super mutants every single time. But then they'd have to think of a world state beyond "no matter how many years we claim, the bombs just fell a handful of years/months ago".

E: ^^ yeah exactly that.

orcane has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Jan 3, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hel posted:

Avalanche is so odd as a developer, Mad Max proved that they can actually make a decent driving engine that's fun to play around with but they keep doing a lovely job on that with Just Cause, which is supposed to be their flagship series.
Well they've been letting their B team(s) handle their "flagship" series while the team that seems actually capable did Mad Max and... I think Rage 2?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just put the data on an external (spinning rust if necessary) drive once you're done with a game, that hassle is worth it to me. Sure SSDs in current consoles might not be utilized perfectly because of overhead and other stuff, but for loading times of open world titles they're still really good.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
When I played KotOR2 the last time it never felt like it had too much combat, but I can absolutely see overzealous modders "restoring" cut combat encounters to a point where it feels tiresome. Sometimes content is cut for a reason, guys :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wow, indie-Destiny sounds like even more of a shitshow and even less like something I'd ever want to play than before. What the hell? :psyduck:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

I really enjoyed the d2 campaign, I'm glad I saw it before f2p hit
Yeah :same:, I enjoyed the base game campaign just fine, and played it some time after PC launch up to Curse of Osiris (I stopped playing just before Warmind came out). Since I didn't raid or do the higher tier dungeons (that didn't have matchmaking when I played, not sure about now), I ran into the soft cap easily and it sucked having all gear be vendor trash at or below your power level. But the progression was serviceable overall and, importantly, easy to grasp.

Then they decided to shake up everything with Forsaken and that already sounded somewhat confusing and also kinda elitist, in the way that it hosed with casual play and mostly rewarded hardcore players? I didn't really follow it but that was the impression I got.

I tried to start playing D2 again when they moved to Steam but quickly gave up because somehow the game got more confusing with the new start and all the stats and rolls. Perhaps I would have dealt with this 10 years ago but nowadays I have better things to do with my game time than deal with RNG layers on top of RNG layers that looked like they were tuned specifically for people who play the game all day, every day.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

I just don't understand why these games require an endgame, and why people get mad when they don't.

Like, why can't these games just have a start, middle, and end, without worrying about grinding endgame raids or whatever for, well, no reason. If it was an MMO where you paid a monthly fee, sure, I can see why you'd want more content, but in a pay-once kind of game?
But it's not a pay once game. It's a live service game, ie. they want you to keep playing forever so you'll end up buying skins, classes, and all the other DLC for sale through item shops with their own monopoly money, like literally all major Ubisoft, Activision and EA properties. That's why they're all using levels, unlocks and "endgame" grinds, so you can never "finish" the game and put it down.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

The audience for these games are people who want a Forever Game they can spend years getting dopamine hits from watching numbers go up, the monotonous grind is the point because they're basically gambling addicts. It's why they spend so much time complaining while still playing, they're literally hooked.
There are those, and there are the people who just want a chill shooter with great gunplay to play with friends occasionally. The latter are practically forced into live service games these days because no one makes standalone multiplayer/co-op games without live service grinds anymore.

It doesn't even matter if that pisses off a significant number of your players. From MMOs and mobile games we know all it takes is a handful of whales who will drop thousands on your game to make up for a vast majority of "normal" players who never spend much or any additional money in item shops, so live service grinds we get. The same principle applies to lootboxes, even if the majority of players hate them they don't really have a choice in most genres, and they're still profitable to publishers because it only takes a few addicts to make up for pissing off a large number of players who DON'T have a gambling problem.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Apparently there's a mod that lets you skip MP3 cutscenes so maybe I should try the game at last. It's been sitting in my Steam account for years now :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The TR reboots are basically "Uncharted but with Lara Croft". Kudos for making the plot even more nonsensical than the Uncharted series, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's not a good or interesting theme though, because there's no meaningful character development over the three games and as a player you can't really do anything but go :doh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Grows as in "and in the next scene..." :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mass Effect 2 is 10 years old so let's poo poo on that and see what parts haven't aged well.

* drat near every upgrade and resource chest are found in missions. If you miss something then you're piss out of luck. This is one of the few RPGs where it's possible to run out of money due it's strict structure.

* The game originally meant for you to recruit all 12 allies in any order, before technical compromises, which means they can't have any rapport with one another outside of the two argument scenes i.e. the Octopath problem.

* You could have easily rewritten the plot so that it doesn't discard your accomplishment from the previous game. Killing Shepard and then reviving Shepard feels like the asinine twist JJ Abrams would use. Its a feat that looks dramatic but doesn't service the overaching story in any way.

* The game really stumbles when you're not shooting anything. Hacking is awful, resource-mining is as fun as it sounds, and while I liked the Hammerhead most hated it for being made of glass and highly combustible.

* Tali, Jacob, Miranda, Thane and arguably more all share the same dramatic crutch " daddy issues".

* It was really stupid having such an event like "Shepard blows up a colony" pushed into a cheap DLC to set up the next game only to be immediately forgotten.
Mass Effect 2 best video game ever.

Besides chest high wall cover shooting, the plot development is what dragged the ME series down for me after the first game, but that's not exactly a little thing :v:

orcane has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Feb 14, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like, yeah, ME2 probably flows better as a shooter but the drawback to that is that it became mostly a shooter with some RPG elements. Combat abilities are all now that really matter mechanically, every combat section is full of chest-high walls and waves of enemies, exploration is reduced to farming resources, instead of the big Citadel you've got a bunch of smaller hubs, I dunno. Plus the plot leans heavy into "Darker and Grittier" to the point that they kinda lose the nifty cheesy aesthetics of the first in favor of a bunch of rubble and junk everywhere. And forcing the character to work with the shady "humanity first!" organization just doesn't sit well at all. (Nor does basically all your relationships with the original crew being completely gone and it doesn't really matter what you did in the first game, though that was gone into earlier.)

It just became not my thing.
Yeah I feel exactly the same. I didn't want Mass Effect: Gears of War edition.

I was hoping Andromeda could merge the gameplay improvements of ME2/3 with the IMO superior world building and style of ME1, but, well... :suicide:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

grinnard posted:

Wait, what? Which class/power is this? I played the whole thing through as an Adept and felt pretty OP (lift & throw worked on anything before they made biotics ineffective against shields/armour in ME2, and a fully upgraded biotic shield had a cooldown the same length as its duration)
ME1 vanguard gets assault training/adrenaline burst which resets all cooldowns. For biotic powers, adepts get singularity and stasis which vanguards don't have. Singularity is the best and most entertaining biotic skill in ME1, but stasis is sort of crappy (you can't damage enemies in stasis unless you pick the otherwise defensive biotic specialization). However, through an achievement you can unlock singularity as a bonus talent for future playthroughs, so you can have a vanguard resetting throw/lift/warp/barrier/singularity every 45 seconds. Assault training on the other hand can't be unlocked as a bonus talent so you can't have adrenaline rush on adepts.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

ME1’s weapon skills were weird, in that you could only actually shoulder your weapon to aim it if you had the skill for it. Sniper rifles had a giant aim cone unless you shouldered them, and obviously you need to do that to use the scope. As a result, anyone who wasn’t the soldier or infiltrator was always carrying a sniper rifle they couldn’t use in any practical sense (and therefore also couldn’t use the DIY rocket launcher of sniper rifle+explosive rounds that would max its heat in one shot).
On the other hand you could very much do that with assault rifles and shotguns even if you didn't have the skills for them :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Mako experience penalty was dumb but it really didn't matter because you could hit level 50 on a completionist first playthrough anyway, and caring about min-maxing XP to hit 60 in as few NG+ runs as possible was kind of a brokebrain thing to do. The same thing applies to the Mako in general, the rubber physics can be lovely because they're combined with ultra-jagged terrain that makes the tank fly off whenever if you hit a polygon a certain way, but it was absolutely fine to follow the intended paths with somewhat gentle slopes, and flying off in your rubber tank in wildly varying directions was fun in moderation and I wouldn't miss it compared to how lame their later attempts at vehicles (the ME2 Hammerhead, DAI horse and the Andromeda APC) ended up being.

And in the PC version you can edit out the XP penalty and give the Mako super boosters for bonus :woop:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda: we're on a loving ice planet, SAM, please stop announcing every time I go in and out of safe temperatures.
Haha I'm just replaying Andromeda too and was on that planet yesterday. It's even better because a bunch of places are designed for you to frequently go from the cold to those heater bubble safe spots, so SAM is alternating between "temperature below zero and dropping" and "life support restored" constantly (with the corresponding temperature update text in your face) :v:

Technically there's a mod for that on PC but I didn't use it because I like how aggravating SAM can be.

I like MEA with mods much more than the launch version I played, but all the wasted potential drags this game down. I'm not blaming it for killing the franchise though, because it was ME3 that set up the kill.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah you pretty much have to look up what's required:
https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/100%25_Completion_in_GTA_V

I think the Rockstar Games Social Club website/profile will tell you what's left, though.

That also makes 100% a completely meaningless metric except for achievement hunters because it doesn't really correspond with either your story or completionist progress (unlike games that either count "do all the story missions" or "do all the optional content and pick up every single collectible").

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Baldur's Gate isn't a game that's aged all that well in the first place, but I really resent how the EE version emphasizes all the added content. The achievement list bundles the regrettable expansion in with the base game as if they belong together. It's sort of like if the Dune or Amber books all get saddled with the non-author sequels nobody cared for.

Mercifully BG2 is mostly untouched provided you murder all the EE party members as soon as they start talking.

It's hilarious how much Beambog wanted to make BG3 only for wonder-child Larian to get the role.
Please don't give me Dune prequel/sequel books PTSD ever again :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Divinity Original Sin 2:

The game massively drops into bullshit when you hit Arx. Up until now you were free to explore around and gather experience before tackling the next major threat. Here however you can't progress or do any side-quests until you beat the fight at the city gates. The monsters are level 18 and I'm only 17 and 3/4s. The power-scaling is incredibly extreme. You have 30 HP at level 1, 1200 HP at level 17, and 1800 HP at level 18. A single level difference in the endgame can be a brick wall.

I don't care if there is a cheap or brilliant strategy for fighting the half-dozen demons that spawn during this fight. (I have to kill one at a time and then run away.) It's absolutely terrible design to force players into a bottleneck. Imagine if you pass a point-of-no-return and have to fight Seymour Flux and the Capra Demon before you can get back to the fun stuff.
DOS2's itemization and XP-/level curve is terrible and I don't understand why more people didn't/don't criticize the game for it. At first glance the inventory management is worse, but if the scaling wasn't so amazingly bad you wouldn't have to deal with the inventory every 1-2 levels in the first place. It regularly makes me want to stop playing because of how exhausting it is, and I love everything else about the game.