Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Diamond is unbreakable is good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tron Bonne is the best in the series

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GTAV has Moon Cycles

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Philippe posted:

I knew I was doing something wrong!

Serious though, it's fiddly and annoying and doesn't work. I wish they had just copied the Fallout minigame, because that's the best one.

The millers chest where you get the tutorial for lock picking will lock as soon as you look away, spend a little time loving with that lock until you get some levels in it and your time will be much easier. Once I got used to it I far preferred it to Oblivion and perhaps Skyrim

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kratos claims to be a god, and yet not once inquires about the status of his croissants.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, it's to build a community of discovery

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Angela is canonically not a lombax according to Insomniac. It's all so stupid

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

GTA 3 and Vice City let your character run at max speed indefinitely by the simple act of tapping the run button instead of holding it down. The definitive editions "fixed" that to work like San Andreas. Your guy now gets tired after a while, reducing speed to a jog, regardless of how much tapping you do.

It smacks of someone being really mad about a simple exploit and deciding they will make it "right".
All that does is ensure on foot sections will be a slog.

I can guarantee nobody on the remaster team cared enough to try and get anything 'right'

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They are fail

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Boss runs are good

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

D&D is for filthy casuals. Pathfinder is for sweaty tryhards.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not being able to run in the Parade Outfit in DQXI is bullshit. I got places to go man, a whole world to save.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The dude in F4 is better than the woman. Especially when high and sarcastic aka the best way to play

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Also Mr.Sheffield in SR2 blows every other voice option out of the water, male and female.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Requisite mention of Blood, which had a bug that made the difficulties swap around on loading a save game, creating that effect.

And the original X-Com where a bug would make all difficulties default back down to the easiest level.

Which then lead to them over-correcting in Terror from the deep making the game incredibly difficult

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

2 is a massive step up in every way. 3 is also good but goes in hard on gimmicks, but the relics make rerunning levels to get a faster time really fun

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The development of all the crash games are fascinating. When universal realized Naughty Dog was leaving them they locked the team out of the offices necessitating CTR and 3 being finished in unair-conditioned hallways.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If only there was a difficulty slider to adjust

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Can you kill the founding fathers in that game tho

No, you spend most of the plot hunting down Charles Lee for burning your village in the beginning. At the end you realize it was actually Washington who did it and you cannot confront him.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The things I'll give AC3 besides naval combat is that if you get good you can become an absolute killing machine in a way you kind of couldn't in the 2 trilogy. You can take out forts of dudes easily with counters and using muskets right. The tomahawk animations are all pretty good and never got reused and the rope dart is sick as hell.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Worse yet they tried to make a ftp multiplayer only sequel that no one wanted and got canned practically immediately after it was revealed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dark Souls 2 tells you that you can go to Drangleic to solve your undead problem, but that you'll forget to do so before you do. Something that happens to most players.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grab an 8bit do analogless controller I guess. That's how I had to do it to stop being bad at crash bandicoot after years of analog gaming.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I had to immediately turn down all my settings to get the thing to 30fps. Don't think it's optimized well at all

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, Yes(sarcastic), and No(yes)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Looking forward to the day when game designers in the metroid/vania genre realise that not every boss needs multiple phases

Yeah, more tag team bosses please.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I can't even remember the end of control lol

The protagonist realized they were never actually in control, probably

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People who played Demon's first don't tend to rate Dark 1 as high. Much of the praise for Dark is just love for the novelty of it being their first being explained away with other factors so as to not admit they overrate their entry into the series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Agreed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

YggiDee posted:

current thing dragging things down: video games need to make their food less tasty looking, because they make me hungry for fancy foods I can't get my hands on. The World Ends With You's chapter about a ramen restaurant is a perpetual offender. NEO's beef bowls.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/gyudon/
Used to make this twice a week, good poo poo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Flash grenades are probably the single most ammo efficient item you can craft. You can kill a dozen plaga with one grenade/five gunpowder. Don't sleep on the Bolt Action. You can leave the scope off for medium distance and its penetration power is great for shield guys or tight corridors. It's also very efficient when crafting ammo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

credburn posted:

Far Cry 2 is the best game in the series, though not the most enjoyable to play.

I never played Crysis 2 or 3. Are they any good?

FC2 proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would be a mangled corpse intertwined with the wreck of my car if not for turn by turn navigation.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Map in REVillage is awful. The village itself mostly. Areas that have passages between aren't marked, blocked areas aren't marked, areas that look like they connect frequently don't. It makes navigating a nightmare. No joke I'd rate the game a star higher if they had made the design of the village more open and the map less poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solidus on EE was a motherfucker.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

The map in Resident Evil 8 was really bad.

It truly was awful in every way

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You see people complaining but a lot of PC people moved into using one of the alt leveling systems I think

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, basically. There's a lot of dumb stuff in Bethesda's Fallouts, sure, but "Bethesda bad" has hit the point where people will outright lie about things that happen in Bethout, and then other people who readily admit they didn't play/don't remember the games will nod along then go off and repeat it because obviously it's true, Bethesda Bad. Even when stuff is explicitly spelled out, it gets ignored, or doesn't matter, or Obsidian's version takes precedence even though the NCR-Brotherhood War is just as much of sequel invention as Scouring the Pitt, or or, etc.

I find it amusing how many people with strong opinions on Bethesda lore changes, or perceived changes, have clearly never played F1 or 2. You'd think if they were so invested they'd take the time to play them instead of trawling wikis and forum posts to get mad about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm actually really curious why it has become so much more common to have subtitles on in your first language. I do it too but never used to and never had issues. I started doing it watching DVDs with commentary tracks and don't think I ever stopped.

Audio mixing sucks rear end nowadays

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If we're piling on the SS1 remake I'll also add that the neon glow over everything makes the game far harder to read than the OG game. It's taking me twice the time to navigate areas in the remake as it did in the OG despite having previous knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Squidster posted:

Let's not forget that to unlock one of the most important upgrades, you have to win a game of chess. Not a chess themed mini-game, a full goddamn game of chess start to finish.

Hell yeah, get hosed checkers peeps