Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Judge Tesla posted:

Escape from the Twin Towers would make for a good setpiece mission.

Diving off the roof down into the safety of a haybale would probably be a tiny bit too tasteless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Iirc The rock lady was free if you bought the game new, instead of used. Otherwise, there is no evidence of her.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

bossy lady posted:

When far cry 5 ended I thought I did something to get a bad ending. I couldn't believe that's how they decided to let that story play out.

It's funny because they released Ghost Recon Wildlands the year before where if you100% the game, the ending changes so the bad guy gets away rather than killed.

Bogmonster posted:

the only villain with any semblance of charisma was Vaas imo
The voice actor sold the character so well that Ubisoft thought it was their writing that was good, so they kept trying that type of crazy character in so many of their later games and it just sucks.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Go Mecha Ball has options for removing/reducing screen shake and screen flashes, which is good, however the main menu and loading screen backgrounds is full of constantly flashing or fast scrolling colours, completely negating any benefit from people who are photosensitive. Thankfully I got this off gamepass, because it's unplayable to me and would probably be actively harmful to others.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

mycot posted:

...were people buying spares?

Pirating the game and then buying the walk-through.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Philippe posted:

I'm playing a lot of Ghost Recon: Breakpoint recently, and it's great! Solid click-on-heads-in-a-jungle simulator, but it commits one heinous sin: there are tiny cars strewn about the landscape, usually close to settlements and bases.

You can drive cars and helicopters and whatnot, but you cannot drive the little fun electric car! It upsets me.

I've been playing it coop and pretty much every session, one of us forgets that they aren't drivable and get really disappointed after sprinting up to one of them.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Philippe posted:

They should have leaned into the roguelite nature more (so you can't turn off permadeath). If your MI6 agent dies, well that's it. No more silenced gun and gadget car for you.

IMO that would have just made it worse, since you'd spend even more time farming for good agents.
Ironically I think playing with permadeath off had me using the subpar characters more, because a death meant the good ones were locked away rather than lost and so I wouldn't just break off and farm some more. Instead I would think "oh it's just for 20 min, let's try with the other characters. ".

I do think it would have benefited copying the PS2 Scarface game, where you had a defined character for the plot but generic dudes for some side missions.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Leal posted:

Don't ever play Metal Gear Solid

Thing dragging that series down is that it hasn't actually had any good PC asses since MGS2.

Hel has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Feb 8, 2024

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Perfect example of a bad rear end, it's covered by ugly bulky clothing and all that sticks out is the armour lines.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Coolness Averted posted:

The boss is a veteran supersoldier who got fired from their high tech mercenary job for being too badass and getting the job done in a way their supervisor didn't like"

Very generous to call someone who got fired on their first day for being incapable of following basic orders a veteran.
Honestly the reboot is my second favourite SR after 2, because it still has the level of bullshit of a 80s-90s action movie but with updated reference points rather than just redoing the same exact things as the old games.

Unrelated to Saints Row, I'm getting real bored of game escalating threats too high. Sure it's partially my fault for playing Spider-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy after each other, but on the other hand, super hero games have tons of different villains and should have an easer time just having them do different things, instead of teaming up to reduce the city to rubble for the thousandth time. Guardians of the Galaxy is completely linear and still manages to have the weirdly paced side trip while the world is ending.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

There are those sad games out there that sap all joy out of the double jump by building the levels entirely around it, requiring you to get maximum distance on every single leap.

Even sadder are the ones that have variable jump height for the basic jump and you need every single pixel of it to jump up simple platforms.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I know a few old FPSs defaulted to having right-click as a secondary move forward, but that is just deranged.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Pretty much the only good version of that was Mirror's Edge because they committed and made it the main part of the colour scheme and because you were always running at high speed it was often really helpful instead of obnoxious.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

At least old games had the decency to make the interactables look different in normal ways, like spinning in the air or the complete absence of a lighting/shadows because they were the only thing not prerendered.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

I can't tell how much of the paint thing is a genuine conundrum over the balance between making things more obvious for struggling players vs. maintaining visual cohesion, with ways to do it more or less artfully. Orrr it's just the new version of "game has a user interface of any kind, wow what an overdesigned piece of a poo poo, gently caress you Ubisoft, *screenshot of Battleborn*".

There is a bit of the latter thing , but I think mostly it's a thing that it looks kind of bad so people notice it. The thing before that was having players in constant detective mode, which was honestly way worse but was also more visually coherent, because it meant everything looked like poo poo. It's also often connected with the character immediately giving hints thing, which for most people just spoil any puzzle before you even have a chance to do it. Not that hints are bad, just that a few newish games had them over tuned or even connected to what to a player was something unrelated.
Like one of the modern Tomb Raiders which had Lara give the comment when you activated detective vision, for example if you just left a fight and need to see if you could resupply before moving on with the puzzle.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Len posted:

but they'll skip every tutorial because "i've played games before"

The worst thing is joking about other people not reading the tutorials over the tutorials and then getting stuck because they themselves didn't read them.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

Nioh and Nioh 2: Why the hell doesn't the dodge give you invulnerability frames, this game's controls are half finished

(slowed down 50%)
https://i.imgur.com/uVc0D7v.mp4

edit: I looked it up and there are i-frames. You have a whopping 10 frames, in the middle of the dodge. That's hosed up.

I think you are have some really bad sources, my experience and every source I can find has the iframes start at the start of the dodge. Maybe stop dodging so early that you are almost standing up after the second dodge when the enemy strikes, or just use the stance that's explicitly for dodging instead of the one for parrying. Also lol at it not being good for repositioning when you end up like 10 metres away.

My dodging thing dragging games down is the "trend" of pushing you to dodge through attacks instead of actually evading them, if I wanted to stand in the path of attacks, that's what blocking, parrying and cross counters are for.

Hel has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Mar 4, 2024

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Assault rifles suck the fun out of so many games, they are just the best and most boring choice in most situations because they are accurate , have a decent rate of fire , do good damage and have plenty of ammo, which you can often refill from enemies. Compare that to all the fun weapons that you usually only get a few shots of and are way more situational, especially in a game with limited weapons slots.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The Lone Badger posted:

All games should have exactly 10 weapon categories in them, mapping to the number keys. You carry all of them at once.

Fixed that for you.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Randalor posted:

Say what you will about the Far Cry games, but at least they let me use the guns I want.

Did they finally stop trying to force you to use the lovely bow? They even made an entire game about it and it was still the worst weapon in it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Randalor posted:

... but I actually like the bow :smith:

Then you probably didn't notice the issue, TBF the bow isn't actually bad, it's just that for each game they seemed to want the player to use it more. But rather than adding things to it to make it more attractive, they kept removing options from other weapons, like in 4, where there is pretty much no other silent weapon for a long time, or Primal where they removed all firearms, but still left in the spear which was just better and more interesting.

The Modern Tomb Raider reboots did much the same thing, with Shadow even forcing you to use it for certain stretches of the game by Lara just straight up refusing to use the guns she's carrying.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Bethesda main stories are good for two things: Introducing you to different parts of the world by travelling and quarantining the worst writers away from the rest of the game.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tagichatn posted:

I dunno if Palworld will be 'finished' but it's had a couple of substantial updates that were pretty well received. I like it cause it makes your pals more useful than just sitting in your box like pokemon and gives you the automation that other survival games don't.

It's definitely derivative but there's way more care gone into it than just an asset flip game. All of its systems are from other games like Zelda climbing and exploration, Pokémon catching, survival game stuff but Palworld puts it all together in a way that's fun despite the early jank.

Sure, Palworld is super derivative(it's just less edgy Conan Exiles), but lol at calling it Zelda climbing when that's just derivative of the Spider-man climbing used since the PSX days. Really makes it clear that some are just allowed more leeway that others when it comes to copying, and the exploration is just generic open world exploration, glider included which is just the derivative of Alladin on the SNES / every open world wingsuit/parachute/ flight mechanic.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Morpheus posted:

My thing dragging down DD2 is that at some point the thief master ability scrolls absolutely disappeared for me and there is no way to know why or where they could've possibly ended up (not in the scrap shop, not in storage, not in pawn inventory) and it's infuriating how there's no way to remedy this, considering they're the only ones I need and now the only solution is ng+, hurray.

Was there any reason you didn't just use them immediately? Like it sucks that you lost and can't recover them, but they also shouldn't be in your inventory for more than 15 seconds.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The Lone Badger posted:

You can’t use them if neither you nor your pawn are the right class.

I only needed the class unlocked, not currently in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

That's the reputation it has but it's only really true in a few specific spots.

Yeah , I really don't get where that comes from, it's a decent game it just suffers from the same issues as all the other FromSoft games, I struggle to think of any that are unique to it.