Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm doing Bravely Defaults NG+ because apparently if you reset your village, the nemesis' will drop buns more.
Bun's are items that give permanent stat boosts and since most +99 nemesis' in my game will still royally gently caress me over even at level 99 I'm hoping to get better stats this time around. When you get a bun, its drop rate decreases dramatically. So I'm hoping to get better stats this time so I can actually fight these things without abusing stillness or jump (because that really seems to be the only way to beat some of these guys), in conclusion FF10 is the best FF because you can just level up everybody to get godly stats without having to go through this bullshit and why am I even doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Oxxidation posted:

This is the true mystery. You have absolutely nothing to gain from it.

I actually stopped five minutes into it. While the game was fun the first time - doing it again, and knowing that you have to do it five more times also the game still kept throwing +99 dudes at me at level 5 so gently caress it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

The Moon Monster posted:

Bravely Default had a fine combat system but it just felt so lifeless to me that I had no desire to keep playing. i quit in the middle of some desolate continent with a big war going on, before even getting to the parts that everyone complains about.

That sounds like you were at the fire crystal bit then. One of the bosses there is a complete butt hole.
I can see what your saying about the combat though, every random encounter feels like the same exact random encounter.

Also the worst side-quest in the entire game is there.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 13:08 on May 20, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
What is it about multi-player Mario games that turns everyone into monsters?
Making a co-op game competitive sort of defeats the purpose.

Four Swords (either the gba or gamecube) are also guilty of this. There's just so much betrayal.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

swamp waste posted:

In Ocarina of Time there's a puzzle where you have to play the wind song to make a windmill turn. I got stuck on this until I found out you have to play the song inside the windmill.

In Dark Souls 2 you have to burn a windmill at one point. I kept falling off and dying while trying to light the wooden blades on fire. Turns out you're supposed to walk up to the metal cylinder in the center and... uh, set it on fire? There's a cutscene with the big metal cylinder bursting into flames, it's really weird.

I just feel like these games are penalizing me for having a rudimentary understanding of windmills man

My Ico disc stopped working when I was trying to solve some windmill puzzle.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Morpheus posted:

I have yet to play a videogame where the romantic writing isn't hamfisted, awkward, and embarrasing.

Silent Hill 2.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nostradingus posted:

Super Paper Mario?

Paper Mario 2 had one with a living bomb of all things.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
It sounds like its doing the Fallout routine then. Being evil nets you a ton more xp and loot but makes it more difficult when dealing with people (or angry mobs - even more-so in the first too because every one has to get a turn to run a few spaces). Even as a good character - I still knock over re-spawning caravans and loot everyone's house though.

In New Vegas, I would routinely murder the gun runners and sell their poo poo to their vendor outside every several days.

Also, never take Jet in Fo2 if you can't get a steady supply (you can find some early and literally gently caress yourself over when it wears off).

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
FFXIII Lightning Returns: *Bleep* *Bleep* Shut the gently caress up Hope.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Lightning Returns, it appears you can only talk to npcs at certain times. They'll still be there where you can physically see/hit them, they just won't talk to you at all.

I got a quest to get a ball - got said ball, and then couldn't talk to the kid anymore because a few minutes passed and he decided he just wanted to stand there and not talk to me anymore.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

melon cat posted:

South Park: Stick of Truth.

Funny game. Lots of production value. But holy hell is the in-game map terrible. And I'm not sure why they added a Facebook-style social media site. It barely has any real functionality and clutters up the already-cluttered GUI. It definitely seems like it after-thought during the development process.

Well...it does have some story value.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So I finished Lightning Returns, and started new game plus - which lets you upgrade weapons at forges, which you know, would have been useful before considering paying for the materials is pricey and shop/story weapons have better stats and I really don't see why they could have put that in a first playthrough.

Also, ability synthesis is pretty bland.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Judge Tesla posted:

Yeah, Livid Dead is about on par with classic Rayman in terms of difficulty, need I remind anyone of the infamous music levels from Rayman 1? or the horrific mountain stages?

Bongo Hills.
Also, Eat at Joes. Oh my God those loving fish.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Jun 9, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
It still annoys me that Echoes of Time had such interesting locations as "fire mountain" and "ice mountain" even more so that its a sequel to a game that had places like Ve Lu' Sluice. Its not fancy or anything - but if you want to get people into your story or whatever you could at least try to name your locations something.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

LoonShia posted:

... There's a sewer system?

You have sex down there. For some reason.
Forgive me, Fisto. :qq:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Fisto is my one-and-only.

He showed me what love is. To my rectum.
Kind of wish FO3 had more of those silly moments like this.

The republic of Dave was pretty great though.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

LoonShia posted:

There was that one Vault, where all the inhabitants were all called Gary.

Yeah, that too. The vaults were really some of the best places in the games - except for the first two.
Those loving Raiders at the vault with the squatters. :argh:

I really like the whole Vault Tech aspect of the Fallout lore and its kind of a shame that its usually pushed to the side for some political grey vs grey vs Cesar/Enclave thing. I honestly could really care less for the whole power struggle thing between factions I'd rather just explore super hosed up places.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Anatharon posted:

Unrelated:

Fallout 4 really needs horses.

Horses are dead. We need either motorcycles or Highwayman.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Action Tortoise posted:

Wasn't that the point of having Brahmins in Fallout until 3 got poo poo just for having them in the game?

They carry items as a mobile container in FO3, but no one ever rides them.
They pretty much pull wagons in the older ones for Caravans, and aside from that and the one you can get as a follower (in that area if you choose not to sell it for meat), they don't really do anything else, except explode.

I could have missed something though.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Flesnolk posted:

Fallout 2 had a car you could drive around once it was fixed up, didn't seem to hurt at all.

I think a car could work out pretty well in a FO3 FO:NV setting if anyone but Bethseda does the coding for it.
The car was pretty much FO2's chocobo.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Kimmalah posted:

That car is in New Vegas as an easter egg, just wrecked and embedded in the ground (as it probably would be if Bethesda tried to implement it as an actual vehicle). :v:

Huh. Never found that one before.

Speaking of which, since we're on FO chat.
I don't know if it was just me - but the game is pretty much unforgiving with those random encounters most of the time.
The game is really not shy about kicking your rear end the first five minutes in by flanking you with a gently caress ton of scorpions.
Heck, even the rats in the intro-cave can pretty much kill you if your character has bad aim, and they're normal rear end rats too.

Also, cross-fire. Goddammit Marcus.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Kimmalah posted:

Me too. That and the railway rifle. It wasn't the best gun in the game but sometimes it's just fun to pin ghoul heads to a wall with a gun that goes choo choo.

At least the Shishkebob made it. Really don't know why they decided to get rid of that crafting mechanic, guess they figured you wouldn't need it with the whole weapons add-on thing.

I got Sonic Generations on the 360 for 7 bucks, and I completely forgot how much I disliked Sonic Unleashed.
Granted the level designs are a lot safer, there's no insta-death traps that blend in with the background for starters.
There are still a few areas where you can barely tell what's going on because of how fast your going or where not launch yourself.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

MisterBibs posted:

The Planet Wisp Doppleganger race in Sonic Generations is practically impossible. It requires perfect play, it's an incredibly long level, and the mechanics of the level suck. Of course, the clone of yourself that you're chasing has no problems at all.

EDIT: And I forgot that you can't use any of your purchased abilities, such as "I'd like to be able to be precise with my movements" or "I'd like the ability to double jump to make the muddy platforming acceptable".

Planet Wisp in general is just pretty horrible in this one.
The whole point of Sonic Generations is to make you feel much more nostalgic towards much better games.
Like Sonic Unleashed, it starts out okay - but then it just sort of becomes ugggggh.
I will say that one saving update they have on this is that you can use the jump dash (its a mid-air jump that propels you a bit forward and is pretty useful for certain jumps), in Unleashed its replaced by the boost so, its gone - and then you can't alter your speed which you can do in generations. Sonic Colors gave you a double jump, which was a god send because you could correct yourself if you miscalculated a jump which is very common when your going at a bazillion miles per hour.

I think I've actually died less times in '06 than in Unleashed.

Also, you can't see rings for poo poo in the final boss fight.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

If you think the crits suck, just wait until you fight something with ghastly wail, which instantly kills anyone with fear, and watch both happen in one turn. Hello unavoidable game over!

Also, dear Super Mario 3d World, I really want to 100% you, but apparently that requires beating every stage with every character and I don't know if I effectively want to play through the whole game five loving times, especially since you don't seem to give me a way to track who I've beaten what stage with.

Same. I did manage to get most the stages done with the hardest character though - I pretty much used Toad for everything.
It's still complete bullshit though.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RyokoTK posted:

e: Also underwater levels continue to be the same insufferable dog poo poo that they've been since Mario 1. Why do these keep ending up in Mario games? Yeah I love very slowly plodding through water and dodging bloopers, wheeeee.

Because Nintendo likes to recycle - everything.
The only game where you could actually swim for poo poo in a 2D mario game was in 3 when you had the frog suit.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Curse you chests that stop Zodiac Spear from spawning! :argh:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

FFXII would have been fantastic instead of crap if it cut out 90% of the grinding, made item-farming either non-existant or less time consuming, gave the main characters actual drama and development, and maybe tossed the player some actual pocket change every now-and-then. For three-quarters of the game I was so poor that the only weapons I used were those daggers with the high-evasion bonus.

It's okay for a game to hide a cool weapon in some corner of the world. It's not okay for a game to lock you out of finding that weapon because you flicked a light-switch in a house miles away from the weapon's hiding place. It's arbitrary poo poo like this that makes me think Square Enix obscures important poo poo to sell strategy guides, in this age of Wikis and Gamefaqs, or is this just a Japanese Thing? I wonder what other obtuse design decisions have been made by the game's director.

Also, why have all these exotic races in the game, like moogles, lizard-men and pig-men, if you only get to play as a gang of Aryan humans?

I really don't like RPG games that use the "miss the best poo poo in the game" because you did something that you'd have no idea would lock you out of it, or stealing something from a boss. Like the Genji gear in 12.

And yeah, it is pretty bad that all your characters are human (save one). Even the expanded roster in the sequel is still pretty much all human save for the rabbit girl again and the winged guy.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I liked Bioshock 2 better too. Especially Minerva's Den.
While I enjoyed the Little Sister protecting parts of the game - they did start to get old after awhile.
It became less tense and more of a chore than anything else.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And the moral choice with Gil Alexander was pants-on-head stupid; honoring a man's request to be euthanized in the face of irreversible Super Alzheimers that also turns him into a crack-addicted blob monster is literally the same thing as murdering a little girl for money.

The way I saw it he was clearly not Gil Alexander anymore, and he was defenseless.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 11:40 on Jul 13, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Anatharon posted:

Mario and Luigi Dream Team: Other then the graphics it's brought down by not being Wario and Waluigi Dream Team.

Waluigi only shows up for sports games and stuff. Unfortunately.
Also agreeing with the graphics thing - I've only played the demo, and I was pretty disappointed with them, especially compared with the previous 3.

Also didn't really appreciate what they did with badges in Inside Story.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Anatharon posted:

Castlevania games: Side modes are so :effort:. Albus mode in Order of Ecclesia removes all the story, sidequests and such but enemies still talk to you like you're Shanoa. Though Albus does get one line I guess. Showtime. :smug: *crushes crab with elevator*.

I hope we get another good Castlevania game even if IGA isn't at Konami anymore. :(

Portrait of Ruin has two of those modes, one of them is pretty much a prequel to the game where you play as the sisters. The game play is actually different but...its really loving simple. You fly around and tap things and draw lines on the screen while you float around.
They don't even have a walking animation.

Also, yeah. I hope we get a Castlevania game that isn't LOS. I've only played Mirror of Fate and its pretty much kept me away from the other two games. I admire when games like to change it up a bit but they did less changing, and more gutting everything for le simple God of War mechanics and steam punk.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Throw three more vaginas on that thing and it's a solid silent hill monster.

The sexual monster symbolism starts to get old after awhile though.
You can only throw a vagina faced monster at me so many times before the shock wears off.
And at times - it just gets silly and you end up fighting a giant penis in a shopping mall.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been replaying Sonic 06 - I noticed that when you get hit, if you try to pick up a ring you'll push it away instead with the havok engine.
This is a bad thing because this game is more "combat focused" and likes to place enemies that you have to fight all over the place.
Also, I forgot you can't hit enemies by jumping any more for some reason.

"Speed segments" are also way worse than I remember (the first one anyways) and is probably the reason why I'm not to big on Unleashed.
My little brother also couldn't finish a level in battle mode because Silver couldn't get up.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

That loving Sned posted:

Sonic '06 is easily one of the funniest games I've ever played, and I've been doing the hard versions of levels with my capture card to show off the incredible glitches. In the first boss, against the giant robot cat thing, doing a homing attack sent me flying off into the stratosphere. I've also managed to get myself stuck on walls and ceilings, and still able to walk around while upside-down.

If I really hated myself I'd buy the extra hard DLC.

It's really not as bad as people say it is - well, it is pretty bad but its entertaining and once you get the hang of things. Some of the missions are poo poo though. I was doing one with a "mathematician", who told me he was smarter than Einstein and was going to ask me a question - said question was to memorize numbers. These are the worst missions (bar Sonic's "trial" missions) because they tend to have three times as many loading screens.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

The Moon Monster posted:

Hypernova is cool one or two times, but it wears out its welcome long before it stops appearing.

It feels more like a cut-scene really. Heck, some of those mini-bosses you curb stomp with Hyper-Nova looked more fun to fight than some of the actual bosses - gently caress you frog guy.

In Sonic 06, there's ladders everywhere - but you can't climb them. I think I've jumped into them several times now on platforming impulse. Also, I really wish the game would be more forgiving with your score - it resets when you die, which seems to happen at random at times, most glitches can sort of be appeased by doing them a certain way, but occasionally the game will hit just kill you off for giggles. Or fling you around everywhere before launching you off the map for some reason.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Sometimes Okami worked well with the wii-mote, and sometimes it was like "Not today!" and you'd just gently caress up a line or something.
Okamiden handled it a lot better since it feels more natural that you draw it on a screen. Of course I'm still mad at how that game handles it's final quarter. The point of no return is still pretty ridiculous too me - though I guess its more for game limitations than anything.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

spudsbuckley posted:

I've just reached a story mission in Assassins Creed 4 that makes me think that everyone involved in the design, programming and playtesting of it is literally a retarded person.

The game gives you all these cool gadgets and a nice flowing fighting system and they get turned of for this shitstorm because you aren't allowed to kill anyone on this mission despite slaughtering a bunch of the same group of people already. Add to that the fact that if you are detected it is an insta-fail and restart from the widely spaced checkpoints.

So there's a bunch of tedious creeping through shrubs to avoid patrols and avoid getting hosed by the inconsistent enemy line of sight detection. Then you get to the person you have to meet to complete a mission objective but the game keeps going on in the background rather than it going to a cutscene so you have to still avoid detection while they ramble on about some bullshit all whilst standing completely out in the open being entirely ignored by the same enemies that can still make you instantly fail the mission if they see you.

How anyone could think to design something like this is bewildering and how anyone could let it get through playtesting is amazing. It is anti-fun and nearly made me quit the game completely. I gave up on Far Cry 3 because it had literally exactly the same mission at one point in the game.

Is that the one where you meet with the Kid or whatever in the jungle?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RyokoTK posted:

The only part of NG+ that was actually tough is Tower 2, because that's already the hardest level and they take out all of the checkpoints except the one before the boss rush. And you don't even get a different ending cinematic or anything. :geno:

That's a relief, I was worried I'd have to do that for something. I pretty much stopped caring once I cleared the game after I got a good look at the achievements. Yeah, some of those sound really fun.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been trying to get an S rank in the "End of the World" stage in Sonic 06. Its not going well.
I still like the game better than Generations but that just might be the Stockholm syndrome kicking in.
You pretty much have no freedom in movement from Sonic Unleashed - Generations which to me, kills the purpose of a 3d platformer.
Granted in the adventure games it was somewhat a straight line you did have some illusion of freedom and reason to actually look around areas at times.

Anytime Generations or Unleashed tried to edge you to move around in a 3d game manner, its incredibly awkward and really easy to fling yourself off of literally everything.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

alcharagia posted:

You're goddamn insane.

Yeah, it was a bit of a joke there. I like that its kind of in the Sonic Adventure format which I prefer over Generations and Unleashed game-play. I won't lie though, there were some parts of the game that were kind of enjoyable, some of the areas were nice - especially Crisis city which is probably the best looking level in the game. It's a shame they couldn't finish the game or be bothered to actually patch it. And at the same time pretty hilarious that people kept buying it to make it a platinum seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm just gonna say that I think the GameCube controller is the best console controller - mainly because it doesn't support "Stick-click" controls. I really don't get why game developers think its a good idea to have the player run by having to hold in a control-stick and yet it seems to show up in a lot of fps'.